Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > VapourSynth

Old 31st May 2017, 16:59   #2561  |  Link
Myrsloik
Professional Code Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boulder View Post
Is there a possibility to enhance VDecimate so that it would support dropping more than one frame per cycle? I once again have a silly Blu-ray which needs some special decimation as the cycle is lengthy and the decimation pattern is not 100% constant. The override file only drops the first marked frame inside the cycle.
Do you mean M in N decimation or something even weirder? How long is the cycle? What's the pattern? Can I have a small sample in case I'm inspired?
Old 31st May 2017, 17:17   #2562  |  Link
Boulder
Pig on the wing

The cycle is veeery long I'm afraid, looks like it's tens of frames with 5 normal frames followed by 1 dupe, then 6 normal frames followed by 1 dupe and then the cycle restarts. As this is a concert video, there are a lot of cuts to confuse you. I wonder if mode 2 from TIVTC would actually suit this one better.. This issue is probably caused by the "shot at 25 fps, then butchered to 29.97 fps" approach.

Anyway, here's a sample which contains one cycle: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Bz...zh0cWJVSnRpOGM
Old 31st May 2017, 17:32   #2563  |  Link
Myrsloik
Professional Code Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boulder View Post
The cycle is veeery long I'm afraid, looks like it's tens of frames with 5 normal frames followed by 1 dupe, then 6 normal frames followed by 1 dupe and then the cycle restarts. As this is a concert video, there are a lot of cuts to confuse you. I wonder if mode 2 from TIVTC would actually suit this one better.. This issue is probably caused by the "shot at 25 fps, then butchered to 29.97 fps" approach.

Anyway, here's a sample which contains one cycle: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Bz...zh0cWJVSnRpOGM
A two pass solution is probably what you really need then. I'm not sure how else to get good results in a video like that. Definitely not a priority for me right now.
Old 31st May 2017, 18:31   #2564  |  Link
videoh
Useful n00b

TDecimate() handles long cycles, up to the number of frames in the video! DGDecodeNV has a DGDecimate() function implemented with CUDA that supports N-in-M with cycles of up to 40 frames.
videoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2017, 18:44   #2565  |  Link
Myrsloik
Professional Code Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by HolyWu View Post
I'm wondering about why VS_FRAME_POOL is only defined under VS_TARGET_OS_WINDOWS in vscore.h. Why can't non-windows systems make use of the frame pool?
This has to do with how memory allocation works in different operating systems. If you benchmark it on linux it is just as fast (or possibly even faster) without it defined. That's why it isn't defined.

It was added because on windows memory allocation generally works like this:
For small allocations a very fast sub-allocator is used. You get awesome speedz!
For larger allocations it basically just passes on the call to VirtualAlloc. VirtualAlloc is slow as fuck. It has to zero all allocated memory for security reasons and a pile of other fun stuff (if I'm not mistaken).

The small allocation size limit is around a few MB, or more exactly between 1080p and 4k. This makes VS exceptionally slow at processing higher resolutions. The pool is simply there as a workaround to remove most of the negative performance effects in windows (it's still a lazy implementation with a global mutex). Before this solution I used tcmalloc which handles it even better.
Old 5th June 2017, 21:45   #2566  |  Link
Myrsloik
Professional Code Monkey

R38 is released.

The usual post
Old 8th June 2017, 16:07   #2567  |  Link
lansing

What is the Virtualdub filter plugin on the priority list now?

There's a new Virtualdub version that supports more colorspace/higher bit depth input and output now:
https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=172021
lansing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2017, 16:22   #2568  |  Link
Myrsloik
Professional Code Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by lansing View Post
What is the Virtualdub filter plugin on the priority list now?

There's a new Virtualdub version that supports more colorspace/higher bit depth input and output now:
https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=172021
I don't understand the question. You want vdub plugin support? I've already added several additional output formats that vdub filtermod can use.
Old 8th June 2017, 16:34   #2569  |  Link
lansing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myrsloik View Post
I don't understand the question. You want vdub plugin support? I've already added several additional output formats that vdub filtermod can use.
I'm talking about a Vapoursynth plugin that can load in Virtualdub filters.

I have a few vd filters that I wanted to load into the script. I was hesitant to use them before because it requires colorspace conversion in between on the original VD.
Old 11th June 2017, 06:46   #2570  |  Link
lansing

I don't know if this is a bug, when I pass a 32 bit video script to the encoder, I'll get this error even though I set the encoder to 10 bit output. I have to change the bit depth in the script to 16 or less in order to not crash.

Code:
The Vapoursynth process terminated abnormally. This means Vapoursynth or one of your Vapoursynth-Plugin's just crashed.
Old 24th June 2017, 10:13   #2571  |  Link
feisty2
I'm Siri

@Myrsloik
can you add Plum to the plugin list?
it's now complete.
feisty2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2017, 18:04   #2572  |  Link
Myrsloik
Professional Code Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by feisty2 View Post
@Myrsloik
can you add Plum to the plugin list?
it's now complete.
Will do
Old 4th July 2017, 12:47   #2573  |  Link
stax76

It's a issue for me that ffmpeg and mpv don't support vapoursynth under windows. How is avisynth support implemented in mpv/ffmpeg/x264, do all tools get avisynth support via libavformat and how is it implemented, directly or via vfw or DiectShow? I will definitely at least make a feature request, the more people request it the better the chances that it will happen.
stax76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2017, 12:55   #2574  |  Link
LigH
German doom9/Gleitz SuMo

I believe x264 (and ffmpeg probably too) uses the AviSynth API, not VfW. And certainly not DirectShow, which would need a VfW wrapper...

New German Gleitz board
MediaFire: x264 | x265 | VPx | AOM | Xvid
LigH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2017, 15:07   #2575  |  Link
TheFluff
Excessively jovial fellow

Yes, both x264 and libavformat interact with the Avisynth API directly. mpv uses the VS API to implement realtime playback filtering with VS but I dunno if it supports VS input that way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stax76 View Post
It's a issue for me that ffmpeg and mpv don't support vapoursynth under windows. How is avisynth support implemented in mpv/ffmpeg/x264, do all tools get avisynth support via libavformat and how is it implemented, directly or via vfw or DiectShow? I will definitely at least make a feature request, the more people request it the better the chances that it will happen.
What exactly is an issue? Do you need seeking?
TheFluff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2017, 16:11   #2576  |  Link
stax76

I mostly want to improve staxrip, if there is no native vapoursynth support then you have to use a batch file with piping and then you cannot use unicode or ascii above 137 in Windows 7 because this is broken in Windows 7. For Englisch speaking countries it's not a issue but for my country and many others it is, there are other issues like usability. I need a player for staxrip that can read avs/vpy and can take a delay and audio/subtitle stream ID via command line and is High DPI ware, such a player don't exist yet, I'm now working on it.
Old 4th July 2017, 16:33   #2577  |  Link
TheFluff

I'm somewhat skeptical of that claim but I'll take your word for it. However, I can think of at least three ways to work around that issue just off the top of my head and there are surely more - in fact, I have no idea why you're even involving a batch file. Some random ideas:
- Powershell script file instead of .bat file, if you insist on doing it in an awkward way
- CreateProcessW cmd.exe /c "your command here" (or, again, PowerShell)
- Create a named pipe, then CreateProcessW twice (once for vspipe, once for the consumer application)
Old 4th July 2017, 16:47   #2578  |  Link
stax76

I can try with powershell since I already use powershell for extensibility, staxrip is hosting the powershell engine for that but for powershell.exe as host scripts might only work if the user changes security settings, by default script execution is disabled. There might be ways, probably there are but Windows 7 isn't top priority for me I have to admit, I'm focused at the playback issue atm.

edit:

about the text encoding issue in Win 7, I'm not the first to notice, here is a thread at stackoverflow:

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/...mmand-line-how

Last edited by stax76; 4th July 2017 at 16:53.
Old 4th July 2017, 16:58   #2579  |  Link
TheFluff

That's about trying to use UTF-8, as far as I can tell, and that's not bound to work out well on Windows. I assume you've tried UTF-16 too, but I have no idea why that wouldn't work and it's extremely weird if it doesn't. vspipe.exe at least expects a UTF-16 command line on Windows, just like everything else. I'm not at my Windows box at the moment or I'd just try it.
Old 4th July 2017, 21:28   #2580  |  Link
stax76

I'm always getting a crash:

Problemsignatur:
Problemereignisname: BEX64
Anwendungsname: StaxRip.exe
Anwendungsversion: 1.5.1.8
Anwendungszeitstempel: 595bf0e3
Fehlermodulname: StackHash_1dc2
Fehlermodulversion: 0.0.0.0
Fehlermodulzeitstempel: 00000000
Ausnahmeoffset: 0000000000000000
Ausnahmecode: c0000005
Ausnahmedaten: 0000000000000008
Betriebsystemversion: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.768.3
Gebietsschema-ID: 1031
Zusatzinformation 1: 1dc2
Zusatzinformation 2: 1dc22fb1de37d348f27e54dbb5278e7d
Zusatzinformation 3: cbc5
Zusatzinformation 4: cbc5ec6970b2af35927ad67117ca57e2

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...6-90818086d964

This happens on Win 7 inside vmware, it's my test system only used for testing staxrip on win 7, it has nothing installed except things needed to run staxrip so avisynth, vapoursynth, python, vc++ runtimes and .NET, newest version of all this software. I can't tell when it started because I test vs on win 7 only occasionally.

Tags
speed, vaporware, vapoursynth