Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

 

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > DVD & BD Rebuilder

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 22nd June 2017, 08:59   #26081  |  Link
MrVideo
Registered User
 
MrVideo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 1,582
Quote:
Originally Posted by musiclover View Post
If it is not working, maybe this will help you
http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.ph...11#post1678011
Ya, all those steps explain why, in a round about way, why you can't just drop a new M2TS file into a BD structure.
MrVideo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2017, 09:48   #26082  |  Link
Lathe
Registered User
 
Lathe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 984
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrVideo View Post
Ya, all those steps explain why, in a round about way, why you can't just drop a new M2TS file into a BD structure.
Yeah... but I indeed DID drop a pre-compressed m2ts back into the structure, and I DIDN'T do ANY of that complicated stuff and it worked!


Lathe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2017, 12:51   #26083  |  Link
jdobbs
Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 20,373
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathe View Post
Yeah... but I indeed DID drop a pre-compressed m2ts back into the structure, and I DIDN'T do ANY of that complicated stuff and it worked!
Generally a bad idea. There are references to specifics of that m2ts in other parts of the BD structure. It usually shows up in problems fast-forwarding, rewind, or chapter jumps. Sometimes it might even cause a lock-up.
__________________
Help with development of new apps: Donations.
Website: www.jdobbs.net

Last edited by jdobbs; 23rd June 2017 at 12:54.
jdobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2017, 14:46   #26084  |  Link
worknstiff
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 304
@ jdobbs RE: It usually shows up in problems fast-forwarding, rewind, or chapter jumps.
I just did a rebuild of JW Chapter Two and the original rip plays fine but the BD Rebuilder version no longer displays the PiP "Pop-up" menu. I even tried to drop-in the rebuilt m2ts files into the "original" blue ray folder which just locks up playback. I wonder what BD Rebuilder changes that breaks the chapter selection pop-up?
worknstiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2017, 16:42   #26085  |  Link
jdobbs
Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 20,373
Quote:
Originally Posted by worknstiff View Post
@ jdobbs RE: It usually shows up in problems fast-forwarding, rewind, or chapter jumps.
I just did a rebuild of JW Chapter Two and the original rip plays fine but the BD Rebuilder version no longer displays the PiP "Pop-up" menu. I even tried to drop-in the rebuilt m2ts files into the "original" blue ray folder which just locks up playback. I wonder what BD Rebuilder changes that breaks the chapter selection pop-up?
I'll pick that one up sometime in the next day or two and give it a test.
__________________
Help with development of new apps: Donations.
Website: www.jdobbs.net
jdobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2017, 21:45   #26086  |  Link
Lathe
Registered User
 
Lathe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 984
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdobbs View Post
Generally a bad idea. There are references to specifics of that m2ts in other parts of the BD structure. It usually shows up in problems fast-forwarding, rewind, or chapter jumps. Sometimes it might even cause a lock-up.
Bummer... Well, good to know. Perhaps, I just got 'Lucky' this time. I will check the burn more carefully. Fortunately, it is fairly rare for an Xtra to be larger than the 'main movie' file, in this case a single episode.

Of course, if one could specify which playlist is to be used as the main movie file in a full backup.... (cough... cough...)
Lathe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2017, 22:16   #26087  |  Link
MrVideo
Registered User
 
MrVideo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 1,582
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathe View Post
Yeah... but I indeed DID drop a pre-compressed m2ts back into the structure, and I DIDN'T do ANY of that complicated stuff and it worked!
As I wrote previously, it would not have have worked if you would have burned a disc and tried to play it in a software player, or a hardware player.

BDRB only looks at the M2TS files, not the other files that make the structure playable, as BDRB rebuilds those other files. That is why it worked.
MrVideo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2017, 23:54   #26088  |  Link
jdobbs
Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 20,373
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrVideo View Post
As I wrote previously, it would not have have worked if you would have burned a disc and tried to play it in a software player, or a hardware player.

BDRB only looks at the M2TS files, not the other files that make the structure playable, as BDRB rebuilds those other files. That is why it worked.
That's not true. In fact BD-RB modifies any and all files that are affected and need to be updated by a reencode. But only if BD-RB does the reencode (it can't know when someone is dropping in other replacement files).
__________________
Help with development of new apps: Donations.
Website: www.jdobbs.net
jdobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2017, 01:35   #26089  |  Link
CV91913
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdobbs View Post
I'll pick that one up sometime in the next day or two and give it a test.
That title has some unusual protection. It has playlist obfuscation but something else is at play. I was able to make a "movie only" BD but was unable to make a 720p MP4. The picture was really messed up. Screen would go black or white and pixilate. I even used the movie only structure (it used the correct playlist) to make the MP4, with the same results. For whatever reason, Clone BD was able to make the MP4 using the movie only structure. I don't normally use Clone BD because of its limited subtitle support for MP4.
CV91913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2017, 02:32   #26090  |  Link
Lathe
Registered User
 
Lathe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 984
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrVideo View Post
As I wrote previously, it would not have have worked if you would have burned a disc and tried to play it in a software player, or a hardware player.

BDRB only looks at the M2TS files, not the other files that make the structure playable, as BDRB rebuilds those other files. That is why it worked.
Oh, but I DID burn it my friend, and it (seemed) to play on my OPPO just fine. That's what I've been telling you

Last edited by Lathe; 24th June 2017 at 02:38.
Lathe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2017, 02:38   #26091  |  Link
Lathe
Registered User
 
Lathe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 984
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdobbs View Post
That's not true. In fact BD-RB modifies any and all files that are affected and need to be updated by a reencode. But only if BD-RB does the reencode (it can't know when someone is dropping in other replacement files).
Hmmm, maybe that's the key...

Remember, I did use BDRB first to compress the 11 Gig Xtra down to about 2.6 Gigs. Then I took that one m2ts and put it back into the full Blu-ray structure and replaced the previous 11 Gig m2ts. Then I used BDRB to process the entire disc as I normally would. So, however that worked, BDRB accepted the 'whole disc' and processed it even though I had substituted the BDRB processed m2ts back into the original structure.

So, YOU would certainly know better WHY, but for whatever reason, when BDRB 'read' and processed the entire modified structure, it didn't get tripped up by the fact that the one m2ts had been replaced.

Of course, once it was done processing the entire disc it obviously had altered everything within it as it normally would. Now, I don't know if it would have made a difference if I had just processed the m2ts file independently using x264 with a CMD line. Maybe since I used BDRB to process the file first it saw it as 'friendly'...
Lathe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2017, 03:31   #26092  |  Link
SuperFist
Registered User
 
SuperFist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdobbs View Post
That's not true. In fact BD-RB modifies any and all files that are affected and need to be updated by a reencode. But only if BD-RB does the reencode (it can't know when someone is dropping in other replacement files).
Jdobbs,

I would like to say your software, though you claim it to be still in Beta after all these years, is THE best compression program I've ever used for Blu-ray! I've even compared in the past, screenshot for screenshot, against the likes of DVDFab more than a few times. It can't be beat as far as I know!

And this begs the question, why have you not went retail with this software? I know I will piss off many in this thread and those who've come to rely on your software wholeheartedly and as a backup. I'm just curious why you think it's not ready for primetime?

Because I can tell you now, I can run down an almost endless list of big name companies who make software with FAR MORE bugs than I've seen in this thread!
SuperFist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2017, 03:46   #26093  |  Link
Lathe
Registered User
 
Lathe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 984
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperFist View Post
Jdobbs,

I would like to say your software, though you claim it to be still in Beta after all these years, is THE best compression program I've ever used for Blu-ray! I've even compared in the past, screenshot for screenshot, against the likes of DVDFab more than a few times. It can't be beat as far as I know!

And this begs the question, why have you not went retail with this software? I know I will piss off many in this thread and those who've come to rely on your software wholeheartedly and as a backup. I'm just curious why you think it's not ready for primetime?

Because I can tell you now, I can run down an almost endless list of big name companies who make software with FAR MORE bugs than I've seen in this thread!
Ah, yet another clever but transparent ruse by JD...

And, to think that one of our revered Heroes would stoop so low...
Lathe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2017, 03:48   #26094  |  Link
SuperFist
Registered User
 
SuperFist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathe View Post
Ah, yet another clever but transparent ruse by JD...

And, to think that one of our revered Heroes would stoop so low...
Wait, what? Are you insinuating that I'm jdobbs? It's gotten to that point now? Wow... I've been away too long!

This is who I am...


Last edited by SuperFist; 24th June 2017 at 03:52.
SuperFist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2017, 04:09   #26095  |  Link
spotswood
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by CV91913 View Post
That title (JW2) has some unusual protection. It has playlist obfuscation but something else is at play...
Yes, something else is going on. I ran both a BD25 and a BD9 movie n menus (blanking extras) and both have problems with the menus. When trying to play a specific chapter the movie always starts from the beginning, and at the end of the movie both hang and don't return to the main menu. I tried both again as Full Backup and the menus still don't work correctly. Might have to go the movie-only route with this one too unless you can come up with a fix...
spotswood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2017, 05:21   #26096  |  Link
Lathe
Registered User
 
Lathe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 984
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperFist View Post
Wait, what? Are you insinuating that I'm jdobbs? It's gotten to that point now? Wow... I've been away too long!

This is who I am...

Again, very clever...

I took the liberty of using some very advanced, cutting edge face-recognition algorithms on your profile photo. You take away the Afro, turn the face white, and add a whole bunch of wrinkles, and you have JD...
Lathe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2017, 06:20   #26097  |  Link
MrVideo
Registered User
 
MrVideo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 1,582
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdobbs View Post
That's not true. In fact BD-RB modifies any and all files that are affected and need to be updated by a reencode. But only if BD-RB does the reencode (it can't know when someone is dropping in other replacement files).
You do not modify the two other files that go with a M2TS if you do not do the re-encode? Interesting. I thought you rebuilt all of those files, no matter what.
MrVideo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2017, 06:23   #26098  |  Link
MrVideo
Registered User
 
MrVideo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 1,582
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathe View Post
Oh, but I DID burn it my friend, and it (seemed) to play on my OPPO just fine. That's what I've been telling you
I misunderstood. I thought you were playing the BDRB backup version, not the BD structure before doing the backup.

I tried doing that once by using tsmuxer to make a M2TS file and put it back into the BD structure and it would not play. It was not liked at all by my player.
MrVideo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2017, 06:31   #26099  |  Link
MrVideo
Registered User
 
MrVideo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 1,582
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperFist View Post
And this begs the question, why have you not went[sic] retail with this software?
That might draw the attention of HollyGreed. They do not like anything that gives the appearance of being able to do backups of their product, even though BDRB doesn't do encryption breaking and is not technically in violation of the copyright act, which allows owners to back up their media. The DMCA says otherwise, but the difference has yet to come up in the courts,
MrVideo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2017, 07:11   #26100  |  Link
Lathe
Registered User
 
Lathe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 984
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrVideo View Post
You do not modify the two other files that go with a M2TS if you do not do the re-encode? Interesting. I thought you rebuilt all of those files, no matter what.
I don't quite understand what you mean here, sorry...

Also, as per your post after this one, I played the resultant Blu-ray after I re-inserted the shrunk m2ts file back into the original BD structure (37 Gigs) and then processed the entire structure with BDRB to render a final BD25 disc that played just fine.

Like I mentioned in a post before, I MIGHT have gotten away with it because I used BDRB itself to shrink the 11 Gig Xtra so that it would then be smaller than the 'main movie' file, which in reality is the one episode on the disc, so that THEN with a smaller sized Xtra, BDRB would THEN rightly recognize the one episode RATHER than what would have been the larger Xtra as the 'main movie file' That way, when I processed the altered version of the BD structure, I could then use 'fast encode for Xtras' and leave the lone episode untouched. That was my primary reason for doing this. Otherwise, untouched, BDRB would have recognized the 11 Gig Xtra as the 'main movie file', and then using 'fast encode for Xtras' would unfortunately shrink the episode while leaving the 11 Gig Xtra untouched.

Last edited by Lathe; 24th June 2017 at 07:16.
Lathe is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 20:00.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.