Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 23rd September 2017, 21:26   #45901  |  Link
dvd1

restore default settings madVR but nothing D3D11 only D3D9
how to get D3D11?
dvd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2017, 21:27   #45902  |  Link
AngelGraves13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabulist View Post
The TV is being exclusively used for video/movies and absolutely nothing else.

I do not really understand what is wrong.
Have you setup the Nvidia control panel for "fullscreen video" under Adjust desktop color settings because if not then it will select Auto and not give you full range.

Last edited by AngelGraves13; 23rd September 2017 at 21:30.
AngelGraves13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2017, 22:34   #45903  |  Link
huhn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manni View Post
If you're sending 12bits there is no dithering by the GPU when sending YCC 4:4:4 as MadVR is dithering down to 10bits.
that needs dithering too obviously.

Quote:
Originally Posted by x7007 View Post
you missconfusoin about TV FULL and Nvidia FULL ..

You need to understand it is also for PS3 and PS4 and XBOX 360/One.

If you put TV Full which is Low on LG at least same for samsung my guess, and Nvidia Full , you will have crashed dark. why ? because the TV is doing 0 -255 and when Nvidia also doing that it is crashing the black. you will crash you black if you go LOW and FULL on PS4 and Also PS3 ..

You need to choose one, preferably choosing LOW on the TV and on everything else Limited or AUTO , because then when changing between HDR or such the signal will always stay with the TV and the program won't mess it up randomly .

So last words is to use TV Low/Full , Nvidia Auto/Limited , Madvr 0-255 . for me it works perfect, the annoying brightness that on 16-235 is not visible, you can see all the bar between 17-25
no he is absolutely right. i have no clue what the hell is going wrong at your side.
not sure what your low setting is doing but you can clearly use a gaming console with full range and TV full range.

Quote:

However, none of the following work:

TV Full, NVIDIA Full, madVR Full: Extremely dark, like "Full" is being applied 3 times.
TV Limited, NVIDIA Limited, madVR Full: Looks like "Full" and not "Limited" in movies.
TV Limited, NVIDIA Full, madVR Limited: Looks too dark, like "Full is being applied 2 times.

The only one working is:

TV Limited, NVIDIA Limited, madVR Limited

Additionally, as before, for some reason the TV needs to be set to "Full" to provide a "Limited" range, and "Normal" provides a darker image - this applies in all cases.

well not sure if you ever used a simple test pattern or if your screen is simply broken but "TV Limited, NVIDIA Limited, madVR Limited" is never ever be correct.

just to be sure what nvidia setting are you setting to limited there are some you simply don't use and leave at default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelGraves13 View Post
Have you setup the Nvidia control panel for "fullscreen video" under Adjust desktop color settings because if not then it will select Auto and not give you full range.
this shouldn't do much if anything with madVR.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2017, 23:23   #45904  |  Link
Manni

Quote:
Originally Posted by huhn View Post
that needs dithering too obviously.
Can you explain? MadVR is sending 10bits and the GPU 12bits. Why would the GPU do any dithering?
Denon X8500HA>HD Fury VRRoom>TCL 55C805K
Manni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2017, 23:29   #45905  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Quote:
Can you explain? MadVR is sending 10bits and the GPU 12bits. Why would the GPU do any dithering?
madVR is sending 10-bit RGB, if the GPU converts that to YCbCr for output, it hopefully does it in high enough precision that it "has to" dither afterwards to 12-bit.
Old 23rd September 2017, 23:53   #45906  |  Link
Manni

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevcairiel View Post
madVR is sending 10-bit RGB, if the GPU converts that to YCbCr for output, it hopefully does it in high enough precision that it "has to" dither afterwards to 12-bit.
Thanks, makes sense.
Old 24th September 2017, 02:13   #45907  |  Link
el Filou

Quote:
However, none of the following work [...]

The only one working is:

Additionally, as before, for some reason the TV needs to be set to "Full" to provide a "Limited" range, and "Normal" provides a darker image - this applies in all cases.

Are you on Windows 10 Creators Update by any chance?
I was running RGB Full on the whole "chain" without any issue previously and since updating to Windows 1703, RGB Full output is buggy on my 1050 Ti (whites are clipped and blacks are dark gray). I tried several drivers and full cleanup of driver files and registry, but it's always buggy.
I filed a bug report via NVIDIA driver survey page last week but haven't heard back yet, I hope they look into it because I'm stuck with RGB Limited until it's fixed.
Old 24th September 2017, 03:18   #45908  |  Link
austinminton

Quote:
because the TV is doing 0 -255 and when Nvidia also doing that it is crashing the black. you will crash you black if you go LOW and FULL on PS4 and Also PS3 ..
Please explain a bit more what you mean. Why would Nvidia crush the blacks in this scenario?

I have everything set to full on my PC (lav, madvr, nvidia) and my tv set to auto (which sets to full when it receives PC signal - Sony 75Z9). I have tried a few patterns and don't notice black crush.

I am on creators update with 385.41 drivers.
austinminton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2017, 03:58   #45909  |  Link
x7007

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinminton View Post
Please explain a bit more what you mean. Why would Nvidia crush the blacks in this scenario?

I have everything set to full on my PC (lav, madvr, nvidia) and my tv set to auto (which sets to full when it receives PC signal - Sony 75Z9). I have tried a few patterns and don't notice black crush.

I am on creators update with 385.41 drivers.

For example there is an issue with HDR and Dolby Vision if you manually change the signal the TV receive because if you set it Manually then the TV can't enter HDR mode, it needs to change from YCbcr 4:4:4 to 4:2:2 , and when you set it manually it Ycbcr 4:4:4 then it won't be able to change, and who want to change every time from mode to mode. not this is the only way you will get Full Range because if I try to set on the TV to AUTO it will use 16-235 , so I need to keep it on LOW. if I try to put from Nvidia like what I talked before on Manual and choose Full Range, all the desktop screen becomes crashed Black. if you check AVSForums, they also say, if you put LOW On the TV you need to choose Limited on the PS3/4 .. it's that simple, you can also watch youtube, because you can't use both, it is just compability mode, you crash your black if you put both of them. I had a TV which could only be Limited without any way to change the TV options, but it couldn't show Full Range. so I just put Limited on everything . MadVR , PS3, Nvidia , so I won't have crashed black, if you can only run with Limited and it works right then your TV or device doesn't support Full RGB , it's simple enough .

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelGraves13 View Post
Does this really work ? because I remember trying it, but maybe this effect the TV Black AUTO ? does anyone else changed it from AUTO to Full Screen Video ? what about the other settings there, what if you play a game, does it ok to keep it on Video ?

Last edited by x7007; 24th September 2017 at 04:04.
x7007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2017, 05:58   #45910  |  Link
AngelGraves13

Quote:
For example there is an issue with HDR and Dolby Vision if you manually change the signal the TV receive because if you set it Manually then the TV can't enter HDR mode, it needs to change from YCbcr 4:4:4 to 4:2:2 , and when you set it manually it Ycbcr 4:4:4 then it won't be able to change, and who want to change every time from mode to mode. not this is the only way you will get Full Range because if I try to set on the TV to AUTO it will use 16-235 , so I need to keep it on LOW. if I try to put from Nvidia like what I talked before on Manual and choose Full Range, all the desktop screen becomes crashed Black. if you check AVSForums, they also say, if you put LOW On the TV you need to choose Limited on the PS3/4 .. it's that simple, you can also watch youtube, because you can't use both, it is just compability mode, you crash your black if you put both of them. I had a TV which could only be Limited without any way to change the TV options, but it couldn't show Full Range. so I just put Limited on everything . MadVR , PS3, Nvidia , so I won't have crashed black, if you can only run with Limited and it works right then your TV or device doesn't support Full RGB , it's simple enough .

Does this really work ? because I remember trying it, but maybe this effect the TV Black AUTO ? does anyone else changed it from AUTO to Full Screen Video ? what about the other settings there, what if you play a game, does it ok to keep it on Video ?
On my Sony TV, if I leave it on Auto, my TV treats the signal like a PC input and doesn't allow me to change color temperature to Warm 1 or Warm 2 (which is needed for proper viewing). I'm also unable to apply any motion estimation (not that I do), so it's basically for minimal input lag. The black levels are also different on Auto, where everything looks washed out. Setting it to fullscreen videos basically allows full dynamic range.
AngelGraves13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2017, 07:18   #45911  |  Link
oddball

Do you think we will ever get proper HDR switching on MadVR using AMD GPU's?
oddball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2017, 07:29   #45912  |  Link
oddball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasch View Post
Hi, has anyone HDR with Polaris (RX4x0) working, with madvr automatic?
If yes, can you plz share your config.

Amd Driver Version and Settings
Lav version and Settings
MadVR Version and settings
used Player

Thx
Nope! It has never worked. I have to manually switch to HDR mode in Win10 settings and make sure fullscreen exclusive is unticked (undesirable for most playback). Then tick it and disable HDR mode after playback.
oddball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2017, 07:31   #45913  |  Link
austinminton

Quote:
Thanks, that makes complete sense now. Clears it all up. Sorry for full quote but I really couldn't edit anything out of it without losing valuable information.
Old 24th September 2017, 07:44   #45914  |  Link
Asmodian

Quote:
Looks like 4K60p8bits RGB is not a valid HDR mode, and the GPU should not allow it instead of forcing it.
8-bit HDR10 works fine on my TV, Nvidia disallowing it would anger me.

However, 8-bit Dolby Vision HDR doesn't work for me, with similar results to your 8-bit HDR.

I wish HDR had better standards so different displays and drivers had the same behavior.
Old 24th September 2017, 09:47   #45915  |  Link
Manni

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmodian View Post
8-bit HDR10 works fine on my TV, Nvidia disallowing it would anger me.

However, 8-bit Dolby Vision HDR doesn't work for me, with similar results to your 8-bit HDR.

I wish HDR had better standards so different displays and drivers had the same behavior.
Please can you remind me your TV model that works in HDR10 RGB 8bits at 4K60p?

Thanks!

Re Dolby Vision, are you testing with a Dolby Vision source, a Dolby Vision display, and everything in between (AVR, switch, VP, etc) supporting Dolby Vision passthrough? Otherwise, it won't work.
Old 24th September 2017, 11:21   #45916  |  Link
austinminton

HDR10 8bit 4K60 RGB works for me too. I can easily verify its 4K60 HDR10 at 8 bits (using the TV menu). About the RGB, I have that set in nvidia control panel so assuming its outputting RGB, but I don't think I can easily verify that on the TV. Will dig into the menus to check that as well.

Its a Sony 75Z9D.
Old 24th September 2017, 11:29   #45917  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
I am using DVBViewer latest Version.

i did not remove those files amd_ags_???.dll, both are in the madvr folder.(should i ?)

i have also try´d now without AVRm direct to TV but still the same no HDR.
Quote:
Originally Posted by oddball View Post
Doesn't work. Nevever worked. Cleared out MadVR several times. Been through a few driver updates and now a change of GPU (RX 480 to RX Vega 56). Still the same issue.
Quote:
Originally Posted by oddball View Post
I am guessing you are an Nvidia owner. I have yet to hear of anyone with an AMD GPU getting HDR working correctly in FSE nor auto switching to HDR when HDR is set to off in display settings.
I think I found the reason for the problems. Will hopefully be fixed in the next build.

Quote:
Another Question, over testing i was seeing Travel 4K Channel on Astra who is HLG Testchanel (4K 50Hz BT2020, HLG) i guess there is no support for now. OSD did not show a sign of HDR.
HLG is not supported yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkauff View Post
You're right, the players I use (MPC-BE, MPC-HC, JRiver MC) don't completely close. I had tried a workaround, adding the default 1080p71 mode to the list madVR can use, but it didn't work. Turns out madVR calls this rate 71, as does Windows, but Nvidia calls it 72. Once I added 1080p72, mode switching works fine. Doesn't solve the original problem, but I'm getting what I want.
For those "don't completely close" problem you could try to create a freeze report (Ctrl+Alt+Shift+Pause/Break). Maybe I can see where the media players are stuck. Please don't attach the freeze report to this forum. Instead upload it somewhere else and link to it here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkauff View Post
Another totally different problem: madVR never manages to optimize my custom rates. I follow the instructions, play a video at that resolution for 30 minutes or more, but when I click Optimize again I get the original popup, never the analysis results popup. I'm using a native driver for the monitor, using a GTX 1060 with the latest driver. EDID is read with no problem.
Did you create the custom mode with the madVR custom modes tab? Or did you use the Nvidia custom mode control panel? Currently measurements are only recorded if the custom mode was originally created by madVR's custom mode tab.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmarioman View Post
No difference at all between "let madvr decide" and "passthrough hdr".

Yes, if I toggle that option the picture dims or lights up.

I think my problem is that I'm not seeing the Wide Colour Gamut colours -I'm just seeing rec709 colours with hdr.

Just tested a 'Patriot Day' sample, and I'm getting the same problem. Many of the colours that are visible using the TV's own player (via usb) are not visible on PC with mpc-hc+madvr.

I also tried with everything set to 8 bit and no dithering in madvr, didn't make any difference.
I'm struggling to have a good idea of what the problem could be. If toggling the "send HDR metadata" switch results in a visible change in "passthrough HDR content to the display" mode, then obviously madVR is able to successfully switch your TV into HDR mode. In "passthrough" mode madVR simply outputs all pixels more or less untouched, so there's not so much that could go wrong on madVR's side.

The best explanation would be that your TV simply doesn't handle RGB HDR input signals correctly. But you said your Xbox when set to RGB looks fine, doesn't it? Are you 100% sure that your Xbox outputs RGB? Maybe it "secretly" switches to YCbCr when playing HDR content? Does your TV have an "info" screen which shows if it's receiving RGB or YCbCr, and if it's in SDR or HDR mode?

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinminton View Post
I tried the new D3D11 decoder on LAV (0.72.2.74). On a perfectly running setup of DXVA2 copyback, just changed it to D3D11 and left hardware device at automatic. MPC-HC (1.7.13-x64) now launches and madvr resolution change kicks in, but the video doesn't play at all. Just stays paused. Ctrl-J doesn't work. Even if I go into windowed from FSE, it stays paused and doesn't play. What am I missing please?
Can you please create a freeze report (Ctrl+Alt+Shift+Pause/Break)? Please don't attach is to this forum, but upload it somewhere else and then link to it here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuchikirukia View Post
Oooh, screenshots in DAR with xysubfilter subs. TY madshi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by walstib View Post
@madshi - as requested.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B32...ew?usp=sharing

this was created using JRiver MC23 64bit, but the 32bit version has the same issue: MVC3D playback does not switch to FSE. It does in MC22 without issue.
The problem is that in order to 3D playback, madVR automatically switches to 1080p23. However, MC23 stays at 4K resolution, and also tells madVR to render to 4K resolution. In order for madVR to switch into FSE mode, the madVR rendering window must match the display resolution. So this is a bug in MC23 which needs to be fixed by the MC23 devs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchmalibu View Post
Hey madshi, quick question regarding the Nvidia video output. Reading your first post, it seems that RGB is the way to go (no needless yuv to rgb internal conversion). However, now that HDR is here, being able to output 10bit 4k content is a must. Unfortunately, RGB 4k60@10bit isn't possible yet
IMHO stick to 8bit RGB, unless your TV doesn't handle 8bit RGB properly. Thanks to dithering, 8bit output is just fine, even for HDR. Of course 10bit would be better, but it is what it is, and IMHO 8bit RGB is the best compromise in this situation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telion View Post
madshi, the new version started to close video files noticeably slower. It used to be almost instantly but now it takes several seconds when I exit the player or just close the video. It won't be a big problem, but the same delay also takes place on switching between subtitle tracks, which becomes inconvenient when I need to switch between them often. Can something be done about this?
Can you please create a couple of freeze reports (Ctrl+Alt+Shift+Pause/Break) while the player tried to exit? Please don't attach the freeze reports to this thread, but upload them somewhere else and link to it here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oguignant View Post
in which case should I change (in device properties) from "pc levels 0-255" to "tv levels 16-235"? I set my Nvidia card as RGB limited (connected to my tv) and my Tv as limited (black level: low) but if I set in madvr to "tv levels 16-235" the image is washed. What am I doing wrong?
See FAQ in 2nd post of this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by a8213711 View Post
There is another weird config: with 1080p50, 1080p30, 1080p29, 1080p25, 1080p24, 1080p23 I had 50.0Hz, instead of the more reasonable 29.97Hz!
It's questionable which is the best mode in this situation. Because madVR thinks deinterlacing might be necessary, it prefers 50Hz over 29.97Hz because if deinterlacing is needed, with 50Hz less frames would have to be dropped compared to 29.97Hz.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FDisk80 View Post
Here is the freeze report for when the player completely freezes.
https://pastebin.com/S3r9K4t3

But for some reason I just could not make it freeze again while in debug mode. I tried for 30 minutes straight.
That's what I feared. I may have to modify the way I handle native D3D11 decoding a bit to workaround this issue. For now if you get this problem, please use D3D11 copyback or some other decoder, as a temporary workaround.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magik Mark View Post
Using MPC BE I get perfect sync for my display 23.976hz using madvr custom refresh rates using 10bit & 8bit

However,

Using DSplayer I only get perfect sync using 10bit. if I set madvr display output to 8bit, refresh rates is only 23.970. This results to frame drop every 3 minutes
Sounds weird. Not sure why that happens. Why not always using 10bit, then, though?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamuriHL View Post
Alright, I managed to get it working better with:

madvr: limited
gpu: full
tv: limited

I've read that this is an acceptable config so if someone wants to confirm or deny that for me I'd appreciate it. It seems to be working.
Sounds good to me. See FAQ in the 2nd post of this thread.

Quote:
For me it's

Madvr - 0-255
gpu - limited
Tv - Low which is 0-255

Everything seems fine , better than the 16-235 I had in MadVr on the old LED philips TV .
On my LED TV I had

Madvr- 16-235
gpu - limited
These are bad settings - unless you really have no other choice. See FAQ in 2nd post of this thread.
madshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2017, 11:48   #45918  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnzilver View Post
MadVR tends to crash when playing a HEVC video, using D3D11 (native / copy-back).
This does not happen using EVR.

Crash report: https://mega.nz/#!Ew8ymaqA!cq0nTDN6M...Fsy36k6ePHSaZM
Looks like a crash in the Intel GPU driver. You say this also occurs in D3D11 copyback mode? If so, then it's unlikely to be madVR's fault. The crash definitely is with D3D11 native decoding, though, which currently EVR doesn't support. It does look like a bug in the Intel GPU driver. So I'd suggest trying different GPU drivers.

If you also get crashes in copyback mode, can you please also upload a crash report for that?

The crash happens in the middle of playback? Or after you've done something, like seeking, stop/play etc?

You're using an outdated madVR build, though. I don't think updating to the latest build will help, but it might still be worth a try.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamland View Post
freeze videos (all formats) and player when this is in pause and after, move the seekbar when using D3D11.Works perfectly with native / copy-back
Can you please create a freeze report (Ctrl+Alt+Shift+Pause/Break)? Please don't attach it to this forum, but upload it somewhere else and then link to it here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzso View Post
I wish madVR wouldn't hang every program I use it with. But that's too much to wish for.

Both ProgDVB and Potplayer hang regularly.
Then please create freeze reports for me (Ctrl+Alt+Shift+Pause/Break). Please don't attach them to this forum, but upload them elsewhere and link to them here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klaus1189 View Post
I'm trying to let madvr measure video playback. But it is still displaying "not measured yet" in this video mode. I followed the four steps. What am I doing wrong?
Did you create the custom modes with the madVR custom mode tab? Or did you create them with the Nvidia/AMD/Intel custom mode tool? Currently madVR only records measurements if you created the custom mode with the madVR custom mode tab.

Quote:
Originally Posted by uusuke View Post
TV: sony ex700
graphics card: msi rx480
blueskyfrc version: v2.81
madvr version: 0.92.2 and 0.92.3
win 10

usually average stat is 12ms ,if I use madvr 0.92.2 , every 5- 10 seconds will burst into 20 ms, and then dropped frames, and turn off blueskyfrc on the normal, some people have encountered the same problem?
(madvr 0.92.1 will not)
Are you 100% sure that the problem does not occur with v0.92.1, but does occur with v0.92.2? I'm asking because the differences between the two versions are fairly small. If you're 100% sure, then could you please try this:

1) Please try using the madVR.ax/madVR64.ax files from v0.92.1 together with all the other files from v0.92.2. Does the problem still occur?

2) Please try using the madVR.ax/madVR64.ax files from v0.92.2 together with all the other files from v0.92.1. Does the problem still occur?

3) Please make sure you test this with SDR content, not HDR content.

4) If you're using the new LAV D3D11 decoder, please try with some other decoder, just to be safe it's not related to that.

Quote:
I'm sorry if I'm confusing people, but it simply isn't always true that sending RGB results in less conversions (or rather, as you stated initially, that sending YCbCr results in one more conversion).

It depends on the display, and it doesn't have to have a "broken" RGB input to behave that way. Most displays with color/tint controls do not apply these controls on an RGB input. They convert to YCbCr, apply the controls, then convert back to RGB.

I'm not saying it's not possible to apply these controls in YCbCr, just that it's not the way many displays behave.

Whether it's better to have the display do this extra conversion because it's done internally, I couldn't say, but personally, I check each output option with chroma multiburst patterns and with my eyes. RGB isn't always the best option. It needs to be tested, unless color/tint are disabled with an RGB input, in that case you know there is no internal conversion.
It will never harm to double check and trust your eyes. And you're right that some (many?) TVs apply their controls in YCbCr, so they might do RGB -> YCbCr -> RGB with RGB input. However, a few arguments why I still think that RGB is *usually* the better choice:

1) Even if the TV internally converts RGB input to YCbCr, there will still not be any more conversions overall. Because if your HTPC outputs YCbCr, madVR will do YCbCr -> RGB. Then the GPU driver will do RGB -> YCbCr. Then the display will do YCbCr -> RGB. That sums up to 3 conversions. If your HTPC outputs RGB, madVR will do YCbCr -> RGB, the GPU driver will do nothing. The display will do RGB -> YCbCr and YCbCr -> RGB. So same number of 3 conversions overall. So making the HTPC output YCbCr will not reduce the overall number of conversions.

2) GPU drivers often do conversions in inferior quality. So it's usually better to avoid anything that requires the GPU drivers to apply any sort of conversion.

3) Even if the GPU driver does a perfect RGB -> YCbCr conversion, the display won't know for sure which matrix was used by the GPU driver for the RGB -> YCbCr output conversion. Ok, at 1080p it's likely to be BT.709. But what happens if you send 4K to the display? With 4K YCbCr input, will the display use BT.709 or BT.2020 matrix to convert the YCbCr input to RGB? And does that match what the GPU driver did? If not, colors will get screwed up. This potential problem can never occur when sending the TV RGB.

4) Even if the GPU driver does a perfect RGB -> YCbCr conversion, it either potentially adds banding artifacts (if no dithering is used), or at least increases the noise floor (if dithering is used). In theory this can also happen inside of the TV, but at least the TV's internal processing doesn't suffer from HDMI bandwidth limitations. E.g. with 4Kp60, if the GPU converts RGB -> YCbCr, either the GPU has to drop chroma to 4:2:2 (loss of chroma resolution), or it has to output 8bit (strong chance of added banding artifacts because the GPU driver probably won't apply dithering in this situation). If we send 8bit RGB to the TV, none of these problems will occur outside of the TV. Of course they could still occur inside of the TV's own processing circuits, but it's somewhat less likely there.

5) There's still a chance the TV might not do RGB -> YCbCr -> RGB, but keep everything in RGB. Some TVs might be able to perform color processing stuff in RGB. And even if they don't, I know for a fact that several (many?) TVs have a special "PC" or "low latency" mode in which all the color processing stuff is disabled, anyway. For some TV models (e.g. my Sony 4K LCD) this is also the only way to get 4:4:4 chroma support.

But as I said above, I'll never disagree with testing all options and trusting your eyes, at least when talking about experienced users like you who know what they need to look for.

Still, my recommendation stays with RGB as the most likely solution for best image quality. See also FAQ in 2nd post of this thread.

Quote:
As I also said, I switch to HDR manually on the display (I disable the manufacturer's mode because it's poor and I apply my own BT2020/ST2084 calibration), so it's not "expecting" anything. As far as it's concerned, it's receiving SDR. And this works fine with everything except 4K60p 8bits from MadVR.

The issue occurs when MadVR is passing through HDR, but the display doesn't know/care whether it's SDR or HDR. There is no metadata sent to the display anyway, so that it doesn't switch to HDR automatically and applies its buggy implementation.
One thing that's confusing me is this: From what you've written now and in the past, I think you're using "passthrough" HDR mode in madVR, and you have "send metadata" disabled? If that's the case, why does the JVC go magenta? I understand that the JVC might go magenta if it switches into HDR mode with 8bit RGB. But it shouldn't switch into HDR mode in the first place, with your madVR config, should it? Or am I missing something?

Quote:

However, none of the following work:

TV Full, NVIDIA Full, madVR Full: Extremely dark, like "Full" is being applied 3 times.
TV Limited, NVIDIA Limited, madVR Full: Looks like "Full" and not "Limited" in movies.
TV Limited, NVIDIA Full, madVR Limited: Looks too dark, like "Full is being applied 2 times.

The only one working is:

There must be something wrong. My best guess is that your Nvidia config is somehow to blame. In the Nvidia control panel, have you reset everything to "neutral" settings? No fancy stuff active like skin tone "enhancements", private Nvidia color settings etc? I'd also suggest you try the "madLevelsTweaker" utility. Maybe it will solve this issue for you.

Quote:
Please can you remind me your TV model that works in HDR10 RGB 8bits at 4K60p?
Works fine on my Sony 55" 4K LCD display, too. Tested with both AMD and Nvidia GPUs. Unfortunately my Sony only says 3840x2160p59, it doesn't report the color format or bitdepth it's receiving, so I can't say for sure if the AMD/Nvidia GPUs are actually outputting RGB or not.
madshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2017, 11:53   #45919  |  Link
Grimsdyke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siso View Post
Mpc-be is active, potplayer is just a big complicated player...
Maybe, but it can play the DTS-HD MA track from PHANTASM (US Blu-Ray) while MPC-BE can not !
Grimsdyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2017, 12:36   #45920  |  Link
huhn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimsdyke View Post
Maybe, but it can play the DTS-HD MA track from PHANTASM (US Blu-Ray) while MPC-BE can not !
very unlikely a problem with mpc-be...
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling