Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 2nd December 2017, 22:21   #47461  |  Link
Asmodian

No, I was talking about madVR.
Old 2nd December 2017, 23:05   #47462  |  Link
Gopa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmodian View Post
Fast or slow is talking about the GPU Power required or rendering times.

However, I don't think ED1 and ED2 are different speeds? Ordered is very fast but random is a little faster still.
I just tested: random & ordered, were very close to identical speed & ED1 & ED2, were very close to identical speed. Random & ordered, were less than 2ms faster, than ED1 & ED2. I used to need every available ms, I could get, with a GTX1050, to get a little higher luma. I will have to look at differences, to see which dithering, looks best, with a GTX1070. Likely, will be dependent on source, so I will stick with, ordered, until I have time to look at some images. Other enhancements, like RCA & image refinements, are trickier to adjust & more important (for me). What does everyone else use for dithering?
Gopa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2017, 23:27   #47463  |  Link
Siso
Soul Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gopa View Post
I just tested: random & ordered, were very close to identical speed & ED1 & ED2, were very close to identical speed. Random & ordered, were less than 2ms faster, than ED1 & ED2. I used to need every available ms, I could get, with a GTX1050, to get a little higher luma. I will have to look at differences, to see which dithering, looks best, with a GTX1070. Likely, will be dependent on source, so I will stick with, ordered, until I have time to look at some images. Other enhancements, like RCA & image refinements, are trickier to adjust & more important (for me). What does everyone else use for dithering?
It is hard to determine the differences between ordered and error diffusion 1 and 2
Siso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2017, 00:19   #47464  |  Link
cork_OS

Ordered dithering is quite enough for me. Difference between OD and ED is only visible if display bit depth is below 8 bit.
Old 3rd December 2017, 00:31   #47465  |  Link
Gopa

reduce ringing artifacts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70MM View Post
The anti ringing filter is in three places, under Image Inhancements, Artifact removal, and Upscaling Refinement.

If one is upscaling ripped BDs and other material to 4K through madvr and one wants to use anti ring which I supose most would.... which is the best of the three areas to turn on anti ringing if you are using some settings from all thre areas? At present I have it ticked in all three places, is that overdo, or does it create artifacts with all three on?

Also who uses Luma Sharpen and what is it actually used for?.... is it a good thing to use or does it add artifacts?
Artifact removal/reduce ringing artifacts = usually, a few ms GPU load. I seldom use this, because, NGU upscalers, do not seem to benefit, with this. I almost always activate, anti-ringing filter, with downscaling & sharpeners. I try to use the lowest possible anti-bloating strength, or none at all (blurs image). I really like, lumaSharpen, with anime. Not so much, with other sources. I try to avoid sharpeners, altogether, for non-anime & usually, just rely on higher luma/chroma settings. I use AdaptiveSharpen, only, occassionally, mostly, because I prefer LumaSharpen & too many sharpeners, can cause all kinds of weirdness. Thin edges, always, only with, anime. Soften edges, almost always, with anime & not so much, with other sources. Sharpen edges, if needed, usually, only with anime. Some people, seem to dislike sharpeners & some of us, love them. They tend to cause some blockiness, with non-anime sources, especially, with higher strength settings. Reduce compression artifacts, is my favorite, new madVR enhancement. High quality sources, should need, very few enhancements, if any.
Old 3rd December 2017, 00:47   #47466  |  Link
Gopa

Quote:
Originally Posted by cork_OS View Post
Ordered dithering is quite enough for me. Difference between OD and ED is only visible if display bit depth is below 8 bit.
Thank you. Must be placebo-effect, when I thought, ED2, looked better, than ordered, for non-anime. Lately, I have been dialing down, some enhancements. Not like, being on the edge of GPU overload, was making images, look better! I almost always, just use ordered, anyway. Turns out, that high, or very high NGU chroma, does not always look better, as well & I was using, way too many sharpeners! Less is more (better), is often, if not usually, the way to go, except for luma upscaling.
Old 3rd December 2017, 04:01   #47467  |  Link
steakhutzeee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmodian View Post
No, I was talking about madVR.
I asked because you was talking about random dithering that is only in Lav. But I assume Im having a big confusion :/

Inviato dal mio BLN-L21 utilizzando Tapatalk
Old 3rd December 2017, 04:27   #47468  |  Link
planet1
... space nerd ...

Custom rendering device ?!?

Dear madshi, in order to retain the superior HW acceleration features of my secondary GPU, would you consider implementing the following feature into madVR:

Attached Images

Last edited by planet1; 3rd December 2017 at 13:45. Reason: external image
planet1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2017, 06:25   #47469  |  Link
MariaX9

Quote:
Originally Posted by steakhutzeee View Post
I asked because you was talking about random dithering that is only in Lav. But I assume Im having a big confusion :/

Inviato dal mio BLN-L21 utilizzando Tapatalk
There is also Random Dithering in MadVr.
MariaX9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2017, 07:15   #47470  |  Link
Sunset1982

Quote:
Dear madshi, in order to retain the superior HW acceleration features of my secondary GPU, would you consider implementing the following feature into madVR:
upload it to another site. It don't gets approved here soon.
Old 3rd December 2017, 13:47   #47471  |  Link
planet1
... space nerd ...

, for the hint Sunset1982 - it's been a long time since I roamed theses forums .
planet1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2017, 13:51   #47472  |  Link
fairchild

I have a new question which started happening ever since I switched to a 4k TCL TV (55" S405). I can't for the life of me get MadVR to kick into FSE mode anymore. I wiped drivers and reinstalled fresh using DDU, I've tried multiple drivers. (currently using 17.11.1 WHQL drivers 64-bit on Windows7 64-bit) I even bought a new GPU, got me an XFX RX580 which has 8GB of RAM which is what I thought was the problem since my older Sapphire 7870 only had 2GB and going from 720p/1080p videos to 3840x2160 was not enough memory.

Basically when I try to go into FSE mode on MadVR, I just get a blank/black screen. The video keeps playing as does the sound as normal because the moment I hit escape to get out of FSE back to windowed, the video is still playing and everything is back to normal. I also have reset MadVR to default settings to no avail, blank/black screen when going FSE.

I'm kinda stumped atm.

Update, I seemed to have remedied it by lowering the present queues to 4 from the default of 8. Not sure why that was causing a problem but there we go, back in business with FSE on my new 4k TV with MadVR!

Last edited by fairchild; 3rd December 2017 at 14:37.
fairchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2017, 14:58   #47473  |  Link
cork_OS

Once I've accidentally turned off FSE. Surprisingly, I not only didn't die, but also get rid of dropped frames on FSE activation.
Old 3rd December 2017, 15:04   #47474  |  Link
huhn

Quote:
Originally Posted by fairchild View Post
Update, I seemed to have remedied it by lowering the present queues to 4 from the default of 8. Not sure why that was causing a problem but there we go, back in business with FSE on my new 4k TV with MadVR!
i know AMD had problem before with present queues of 16 or something like that but that an "interesting" case.
older driver may work with bigger queues.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2017, 15:04   #47475  |  Link
jkauff

Quote:
Originally Posted by cork_OS View Post
Once I've accidentally turned off FSE. Surprisingly, I not only didn't die, but also get rid of dropped frames on FSE activation.
You also get the probably far superior seek bar of your favorite player instead of the rudimentary (to be kind) one in FSE. The one in MPC-BE has previews, which are very helpful.
jkauff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2017, 16:10   #47476  |  Link
Soulnight

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevcairiel View Post
If you use madVR and didn't mess with any other LAV settings you shouldn't mess with (like disabling any of the output formats in LAV), then they don't matter, since madVR supports high-bitdepth input formats.
Hi,
would it be possible to make dithering in Lavvideo Decoder as good or close to the one in Madvr?

I am asking because currently I use Bluesky FRC with AMD Fluid Motion to use frame interpolation of 4K 10bits 4:2:0 24p signal to 60p.
And the output of bluesky FRC in Madvr is only 8bits, as it seems that AMD Fluid Motion itself does NOT support 10bits.
BlueskyFRC convert P010 to NV12 using driver's function, BEFORE entering AMD Fluid Motion.

My target would be to have a high quality dithering BEFORE entering AMD Fluid Motion: for example in LAVVideo Decoder.

Right now, I can see random noise generated by the dithering method used by BlueskyFRC.
I also tried to deselect 10bits output in LAVvideo decoder in order to dither before in LAVvideo decoder before even entering Blueksy FRC.
However, the result is still not near as good, as when I feed the 10bits 24p signal directly to Madvr with ordered dithering selected there.

Thanks for the help.
Florian
Soulnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2017, 16:15   #47477  |  Link
mclingo

Quote:
Originally Posted by fairchild View Post
I have a new question which started happening ever since I switched to a 4k TCL TV (55" S405). I can't for the life of me get MadVR to kick into FSE mode anymore. I wiped drivers and reinstalled fresh using DDU, I've tried multiple drivers. (currently using 17.11.1 WHQL drivers 64-bit on Windows7 64-bit) I even bought a new GPU, got me an XFX RX580 which has 8GB of RAM which is what I thought was the problem since my older Sapphire 7870 only had 2GB and going from 720p/1080p videos to 3840x2160 was not enough memory.

Basically when I try to go into FSE mode on MadVR, I just get a blank/black screen. The video keeps playing as does the sound as normal because the moment I hit escape to get out of FSE back to windowed, the video is still playing and everything is back to normal. I also have reset MadVR to default settings to no avail, blank/black screen when going FSE.

I'm kinda stumped atm.

sounds like a similar setup to me, what do you need FSE for, MVC 3d?
mclingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2017, 16:54   #47478  |  Link
fairchild

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclingo View Post
sounds like a similar setup to me, what do you need FSE for, MVC 3d?
I just always prefer to use FSE to not have issues with composition (sometimes it's 30hz which instead of the correct 60hz) when using windowed mode which creates huge issues when watching media. I know I can turn that off and do it in windows too, but sometimes that causes tearing. FSE usually is the best. I don't need to be staring at anything but the movie or show i'm watching, don't care about bells and whistles from the media player while I'm watching something
Old 3rd December 2017, 16:58   #47479  |  Link
Soulnight

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
I'll move it up in the priority. It's really annoying that the functionality *seems* to be there, but simply doesn't work.
Thanks!
With a working "command line to execute when this profile is activated", you would open so many great features like:

1) calling a batch file to call a pre-programmed function with an Harmony Remote Control:
a) automatic switch between memory for SDR REC709 mode or SDR DCI-P3 mode (for use with HDR-SDR conversion) in the projector menu
b) automatic control of motorized masking system to the right position (169 /21/9)
c) control of lens memory

2) automatic overlock of the GPU for highly intensive profiles

And that's probably even only a fraction of all the stuff we could do with that.

Florian

Last edited by Soulnight; 3rd December 2017 at 17:02.
Soulnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2017, 19:16   #47480  |  Link
huhn

could be dropped frames from syncing video with audio.
so you have to be more precise.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling