Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 18th January 2018, 05:03   #48441  |  Link
brazen1

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyrindor View Post
Sadly it does not, "3D enabled" then "3D signal loss", then I full screen the window and MPC-BE crashes. I tried MPC-BE and MPC-HC. I also noticed if I have 3D enabled in NVIDIA Control Panel, it breaks fullscreen for UHD HDR too (despite 3D not actually being enabled because I am at 4K).

I think Win10 Fall update might have broken it completely. Before I had to disable DX11 fullscreen or I'd crash, but now if I disable that exclusive fullscreen doesn't work at all (even for 2D content). I searched around and other people had this same problem with the fall update.
Couple things to consider:
You keep saying 'then when I go to fullscreen, everything crashes. You shouldn't be having to fullscreen anything? Check full screen exclusive mode in madVR. Check start in fullscreen in MPC. We know you installed LAV with 3D. Good. Hopefully you matched 32bit or x64 software. When you setup nVidia driver install and ran stereoscopic wizard, when finished it returned you to NCP. There you should have changed 720p 3D mode to 1080p 3D mode and set RGB FULL 12 bit at 24Hz and saved. Then you should have selected 2160p 60Hz, your native mode, and confirmed your RGB FULL now showed 8bit and saved. There are other unrelated settings in here too. Unless the 3D settings in madVR, Windows, and nVidia are not cooperating together as of all the new releases, you might need to enable stereoscopic in NCP and the Windows global setting under display properties. Start a 3D frame packed title. If it still crashes or doesn't decode and render 3D, you have problems outside normal users imo. Hope this helps.

Here's more that might be related:
madVR - switch to matching display mode and restore original.
madVR display modes - add 2160p23, 2160p24, 2160p25, 2160p59, 2160p60
madVR stereo 3d - check all 3 then, enable when playing 3D. Also, disable when 2d.

Last edited by brazen1; 18th January 2018 at 05:10.
brazen1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2018, 05:17   #48442  |  Link
tyrindor

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinminton View Post
So I have both HDR and 3D working perfectly on fall update with the latest madvr and nvidia 390.65. Those steps I mentioned are only for 3D. Other files will probably crash with stereoscopic enabled in nvidia cp. As I said, all this can be automated once we have your 3D working.

Does your nvidia correctly go into 3D resolution when stereoscopic is enabled and you select a 3D resolution in nvidia cp for your desktop?
Yes, it does.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brazen1 View Post
Couple things to consider:
You keep saying 'then when I go to fullscreen, everything crashes. You shouldn't be having to fullscreen anything? Check full screen exclusive mode in madVR. Check start in fullscreen in MPC. We know you installed LAV with 3D. Good. Hopefully you matched 32bit or x64 software. When you setup nVidia driver install and ran stereoscopic wizard, when finished it returned you to NCP. There you should have changed 720p 3D mode to 1080p 3D mode and set RGB FULL 12 bit at 24Hz and saved. Then you should have selected 2160p 60Hz, your native mode, and confirmed your RGB FULL now showed 8bit and saved. There are other unrelated settings in here too. Unless the 3D settings in madVR, Windows, and nVidia are not cooperating together as of all the new releases, you might need to enable stereoscopic in NCP and the Windows global setting under display properties. Start a 3D frame packed title. If it still crashes or doesn't decode and render 3D, you have problems outside normal users imo. Hope this helps.

Here's more that might be related:
madVR - switch to matching display mode and restore original.
madVR display modes - add 2160p23, 2160p24, 2160p25, 2160p59, 2160p60
madVR stereo 3d - check all 3 then, enable when playing 3D. Also, disable when 2d.
Verified it's all 64bit. Launching in fullscreen doesn't help. Verified manually selecting 1080p 3D in NVIDIA CP works fine with correct RGB FULL/12bit/24hz. Launch MPC-BE with 3D movie (which worked prior to the fall update), it plays fine while windowed, fullscreen it = crash. I already have all those display modes added and MadVR settings are setup exactly like that.

If I enabled my 4K native resolution and launch a 3D video (in windowed mode), everything switches to 3D and the desktop requires glasses to read... but it still crashes soon as I fullscreen the video.

Tried latest LAV nightly drivers, latest nvidia drivers, latest madvr. I'm really out of options other than setting up a virtual machine to see if this happens on a brand new install with the fall update already applied.

Last edited by tyrindor; 18th January 2018 at 05:30.
tyrindor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2018, 05:49   #48443  |  Link
brazen1

Shot in the dark: Although all this should work, before I messed with fresh O/S, I'd clean default all the software including the drivers and reset - reset the registry by rebooting after uninstalls and rebooting each install. But first I'd put the driver in 1080 3D, let the display switch, then deselect 12bit and change it to 8 which should flash your display again and be prepped for 3D playback. Let the title start FSE. I assume you are testing by starting your title in explorer? By "crash MPC" what exactly happens?
brazen1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2018, 05:59   #48444  |  Link
tyrindor

OK, this makes no sense. I did a fresh driver reinstall and restarted and now it's doing something completely different. No more crashes.

I launch a 3D movie and it enables 3D - but it's not actually 3D. Launching it in FSE. There's no depth and no blur without glasses. TV says "3D is enabled" in the corner and "3D signal loss" when I exit. If I force 1080p 3D, the desktop is clearly in 3D but when I launch a movie the 3D effect is removed (from the desktop even) despite the TV still claiming it's receiving a 3D signal. To troubleshoot, I just told MadVR to always keep 3D enabled but it didn't fix it.

I tried latest stable LAVFilters + the nightly build.

I'm close to giving up on 3D.

Last edited by tyrindor; 18th January 2018 at 06:07.
Old 18th January 2018, 06:22   #48445  |  Link
austinminton

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyrindor View Post
OK, this makes no sense. I did a fresh driver reinstall and restarted and now it's doing something completely different.
No crashes is a good first step. I had the same problem with no depth, and I realized I wasn't in fse. I know you have mentioned fse in your post, but something to double check maybe?

Also what do you have exactly in the 3D settings of madvr?

I think you are quite close to getting it to work.
austinminton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2018, 06:35   #48446  |  Link
tyrindor

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinminton View Post
No crashes is a good first step. I had the same problem with no depth, and I realized I wasn't in fse. I know you have mentioned fse in your post, but something to double check maybe?

Also what do you have exactly in the 3D settings of madvr?

I think you are quite close to getting it to work.
It's gotta be in FSE because I am getting the FSE seek bar at the bottom.

I tried basically every combo of 3D settings in the 3D tab. I noticed if I tell it to "enable 3D for 3D content", and then disable 3D in nvidia CP it doesn't actually enable 3D automatically. If I check the box in the nvidia CP and launch a 3D movie, it will pop up and say "3D enabled" but theres's no depth even in FSE. These are known to work rips, I watched them in 3D about a year back.

EDIT: I tried Nvidia's built in 3D test. When it starts up my TV says "3D enabled" but there's no depth in that either. Seems like NVIDIA 3D is broken for me in general. My TV's internal 3D test works fine. The NVIDIA 3D wizard also works, and the desktop is clearly "double vision" if I set 1080p 3D. What a headache, lol.

Last edited by tyrindor; 18th January 2018 at 06:44.
Old 18th January 2018, 06:51   #48447  |  Link
austinminton

Yes, not autoenabling nvida cp using madvr is a known problem. We use batch files to automate that process, but that comes later.

In the 3d wizard, the last step is a 3d box with depth. Do you see depth in that?

Blurred vision in 1080p3D is good, you definitely have 3D running in some form. Not too sure which built in test you are running for Nvidia. Is it for stereoscopic 3D outside the wizard?

I remember I had this problem once too in mpc-hc when i forgot to install lav with 3d enabled.
austinminton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2018, 06:56   #48448  |  Link
tyrindor

Yup, I see depth in that.

However, I just restarted again and now it's back to crashing immediately. Thanks for your help but I am giving up, by this time next year I'll have a new display and none of the new OLEDs even support 3D anymore.
Old 18th January 2018, 07:07   #48449  |  Link
xyndv

madshi, could you bring back the old AdaptiveSharpen from v92.4? Please see my screenshot comparison:
Screenshot 1:
Original | Upscaled + AdaptiveSharpen (v92.4) | Upscaled + AdaptiveSharpen + reduce compression artifacts: 3 + reduce random noise: 1 (v92.10) | Upscaled + AdaptiveSharpen (v92.10)

Screenshot 2:
Original | Upscaled + AdaptiveSharpen (v92.4) | Upscaled + AdaptiveSharpen + reduce compression artifacts: 3 + reduce random noise: 1 (v92.10) | Upscaled + AdaptiveSharpen (v92.10)

I used these settings for all of the upscaled images: "NGU AA": very high (doubling) + Jinc AR, "reduce banding": low, "reduce ringing", AdaptiveSharpen: 2.5 + anti-bloating: 100% and linear light for the new AdaptiveSharpen (linear light didn't change much).
The sharpening was done in "image enhancements" (the characteristics are the same if it's used in "upscaling refinement", only milder).

The reasons why I prefer the old version for anime/cartoons are:
1) Arguably, it's not much different in terms of "quality" alone, but subjectively the lines in the old version look more defined and thinner to me.
2) By turning off the anti-bloating filter, you can get even more darker lines, which is a preference of mine for anime/cartoons. You can't achieve this anymore with the new AdaptiveSharpen.
3) The new AdaptiveSharpen brings forward background artifacts and details as you increase the strength (like LumaSharpen), while the old one doesn't almost at all. This is probably good for most real life content, but not really beneficial for anime/cartoons, and especially bad for lower quality ones - because it will only accenuate compression artifacts that you will then have to hide with "Reduce compression artifacts". Using the old AdaptiveSharpen, you can additionally enable "Enhance detail" for higher quality content, if you wish.

Of course, objective quality improvements would be welcome, but I can't give up on the aforementioned "traits" of the old AdaptiveSharpen, which makes it a very suitable sharpener choice for cartoon content (also I assume I'm not the only one who likes the old version, based on previous comments). That's not to say the new AdaptiveSharpen might not be useful too, perhaps it's suitable for 3D animation or real life content, where line darkening is less desirable.
So hopefully you can take these points to your consideration for future versions. Thank you.

By the way, do you think it would be a good idea or possible to add a "bitrate" profile value or something like a ratio of resolution/bitrate, as wouldn't it be better to trigger "reduce compression artifacts" or a sharpener based (also?) on this rather than just resolution, if you want to use them by video quality?
xyndv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2018, 07:15   #48450  |  Link
ryrynz

Honestly, the old one looks worse in those screenshots (you're way oversharpening). We definitely like thinner lines for lower res content, which is why I've been asking madshi for a line darkener and awarpsharp to be brought into madVR.
The old AS isn't coming back I'm afraid, it may be that AS get's an update later this year and changes things a bit, if you like 0.94's AS that much I recommend you just use that for the time being or use a batch file to swap versions for animated content.
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2018, 07:27   #48451  |  Link
xyndv

It looks better to me, but how is it even related? a strength is a personal preference, hence why you can choose. Unless I'm literally the only person who likes the old AS and it's qualities, there's no reason to remove it and force users to downgrade.
Old 18th January 2018, 08:07   #48452  |  Link
ryrynz

It hasn't been "downgraded" these are the original author's changes.. anyway let's wait and see with this. Like I said, there are things I prefer about the old version too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xyndv View Post
a strength is a personal preference, hence why you can choose.
Content is also different and there's this thing called overdoing it and that's definitely happening there.

Last edited by ryrynz; 18th January 2018 at 08:12.
Old 18th January 2018, 08:27   #48453  |  Link
Blackwalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamuriHL View Post
Madshi, wanted to let you know I'm a very happy person right now. I've got everything dialed in at full->full->full 12 bit now including 3D. I'm also able to downscale 4K HDR->1080p SDR which looks fantastic. And I'm able to upscale DVD's to 1080p which also looks fantastic. All on my 1060 with the 390 driver and 0.9.11. I should probably leave well enough alone until I get a 4K OLED. LOL
i got the 1060 6gb too, 2 days ago. Your settings?
thx
Blackwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2018, 08:43   #48454  |  Link
xyndv

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryrynz View Post
Content is also different and there's this thing called overdoing it and that's definitely happening there.
There's no overdoing at all, I actually use even more strength and I prefer it. Unless there's a proven standard that says when it's too much and why it's worse, then any sharpening is overdoing it over the original and maybe we should disable it. In the meantime everyone prefers something different..
Old 18th January 2018, 09:08   #48455  |  Link
ryrynz

Dead giveaway for unnatural sharpening is various parts of the image getting considerably brighter. The lines also now look artificial, I can show you what a quality upscale looks like if you upload a sample.
Old 18th January 2018, 11:41   #48456  |  Link
mclingo

I have to say that if you are big 3D fan like myself I would definitely recommend a switch to AMD, 3D always works without any fuss and AMD cards can do 23.976 without any CR which means hours without glitches and freame drops/ repeats.

There are caveats obviously which i've mentioned before, there seems to be a few bugs with recent drivers which cause my system to lost HDMI sync when stopping 3D but this can be worked around by dropping you 4k machine desktop into 1080p before playing the movie. I have also had a few system hangs only recent drivers, i'm still using 17.10.2 which doesnt have that issue.

I'm using an AMD RX 550 as I wanted to reduce my servers power footprint as it has 13 hard drives in it, its pretty pants at rendering though, an RX480 or higher might be better.

I also have a NVIDIA 1050, couldnt get 3D stable at all, often it just wouldnt work at all even with some of the workaronds used on here. I did get custom res working though but not for 3D, I was also locked at frame drops/repeats every 4 minutes.
mclingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2018, 12:56   #48457  |  Link
Manni

@Madshi

I've done more testing with the external commands, using only MPC-BE to rule out possible issues with MCE/MyMovies.

If I launch my .bat files directly from the desktop, they all run fine.

If I launch them from the external command when the profile is enabled, they run fine too.

If I swap the one that should run when the profile is disabled with the one that runs fine when the profile is enabled, it runs fine too.

So as far as I can see, the external command works fine when the profile is enabled, but not when the profile is disabled.

I always add a pause command to batch files when I do testing, and as far as I can see there is no command file launched at all on profile disable.

I tried the test build and it doesn't change anything.

Any ideas?

Thanks.
Denon X8500HA>HD Fury VRRoom>TCL 55C805K
Manni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2018, 13:10   #48458  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Hitman- View Post
Ok, madvr works fine - version 0.91.11, two separate displays show with correct id/edid under each.

Dell U2413
Denon-AVRHD

Install next version up - V0.92.1 and only the Dell display is now present /with the Denon ID and edid under it.

Also with v0.92.1, the Dell display entry does not keep adding idents every time the Denon/tv is used, it just remains - Dell display with a single indent containing the Denon info+edid data.
I'm slightly confused now which version does which exactly. Could you try summing up which madVR version does what? And which is what you should get and which is not? From what I see right now, it seems there 3 different behaviours now?

Quote:
madshi, could you bring back the old AdaptiveSharpen from v92.4? Please see my screenshot comparison:
Screenshot 1
Is that with linear light enabled or disabled for the new AdaptiveSharpen? Does it make a big difference?

I have on my to do list to revisit AdaptiveSharpen. I don't know yet what it will end up as.

Quote:
By the way, do you think it would be a good idea or possible to add a "bitrate" profile value or something like a ratio of resolution/bitrate, as wouldn't it be better to trigger "reduce compression artifacts" or a sharpener based (also?) on this rather than just resolution, if you want to use them by video quality?
Is already on my list of things to look at.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manni View Post
I've done more testing with the external commands, using only MPC-BE to rule out possible issues with MCE/MyMovies.

If I launch my .bat files directly from the desktop, they all run fine.

If I launch them from the external command when the profile is enabled, they run fine too.

If I swap the one that should run when the profile is disabled with the one that runs fine when the profile is enabled, it runs fine too.

So as far as I can see, the external command works fine when the profile is enabled, but not when the profile is disabled.

I always add a pause command to batch files when I do testing, and as far as I can see there is no command file launched at all on profile disable.

I tried the test build and it doesn't change anything.

Any ideas?
The "pause" command will help only if the command line window is visible at all. Is it? It's only visible if you chain 2 batch files in a row, as I suggested to Javs in the AVSForum thread. Please try "start notepad.exe" in your batch file as a test. Does that work?
madshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2018, 13:26   #48459  |  Link
Manni

As I said above, it's NOT the content of the batch file. The same batch file works if launched on enable. Why would it not work on disable?

Please let's not talk about Javs issue, it's completely different and caused by Kodi. I always do all my tests solely with MPC-BE to rule out MCE/MyMovies issues.

I don't have ANY problem launching ANY of my batch files on custom profile enable (or outside of MadVR). The same batch files don't do anything on custom profile disable, as far as I can see there is no dos window started.

Do external commands on custom profile disable work for you?
Denon X8500HA>HD Fury VRRoom>TCL 55C805K

Last edited by Manni; 18th January 2018 at 13:49.
Manni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2018, 13:35   #48460  |  Link
el Filou

Quote:
Originally Posted by mytbyte View Post
I just installed the GT 1030 into my old Athlon X4 rig... [...] there is some general opinion that 2GB VRAM might not be enough for 4K output [...]
Speaking of that, does anyone know how to get 8K VP9 60 fps play smooth with MadVR [...] please note that it plays smooth in EVR
It can come from those things:

a. EVR is less VRAM hungry than madVR, which could explain why madVR is struggling with 8K video on a card with only 2 GB of VRAM.

b. the GT1030 doesn't have the power to downscale 8K to 1080 using madVR high quality algorithms.

c. both

I don't see the point of 8K on a 1080 output tbh, but anyway:

1. Close all other programs and folder windows when playing video, each one takes up VRAM which the GT1030 doesn't have plenty of.

2. Choose D3D11 as hardware decoder in LAV, Device set to Automatic (native). This gives slightly better performance.

3. Check your VRAM and GPU loads with GPU-Z or another tool when playing back a 8K clip with madVR:

a. If the GPU load is approaching 90% or more then it's too high. Try selecting DXVA2 downscaling in madVR (make a profile just for 8K), though this defeats the purpose of using madVR, so you'd get better results with a 4K clip and a higher quality downscaler.

b. If the VRAM usage is approaching 1.8-1.9 GB then it may already be too high. You can try to lower queues in madVR to those values (CPU/GPU/Present): 4/4/3.
If that still maxes out VRAM then you're out of luck. If that works, then you can try 4 for the Present queue to be safer, and if that still doesn't max out the VRAM you can then try upping the GPU queue until you hit the VRAM limit again (keep the CPU queue the same as GPU, NVIDIA's hardware decoder is so fast it won't cause problems).

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling