Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 14th February 2018, 06:09   #48961  |  Link
huhn

at UHD no i don't think this will work.
you need more than 2-4gb for vram leaving you with not much for the rest.

and these surface things likes to throttle too...
good luck with the boost clock of ~1000 mhz.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2018, 11:58   #48962  |  Link
Tomah

Hello everyone,

I have two short questions

1. I would know why madVR, when i use NGU 4x, after oversize, downscale image two times in luma y with some source resolutions?

2. Always with NGU 4x, with Low or Medium quality, chromaupsampling seems forced to Bicubic60 during the doubling/quadrupling process. Can i use "chroma settings" for entire chroma upsampling ?

Thanks you very much.
Tomah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2018, 18:24   #48963  |  Link
Ver Greeneyes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomah View Post
1. I would know why madVR, when i use NGU 4x, after oversize, downscale image two times in luma y with some source resolutions?
Aspect ratio correction. The doubling algorithms can only, well, double - they can't deal with rectangular pixels. So madVR has to adjust them at the end using an algorithm that can deal with them (like Bicubic150).
Ver Greeneyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2018, 18:53   #48964  |  Link
steakhutzeee

Hi I've a question here, just looking right now at a movie source.

As you can see there is a frame repeated every [...] seconds. And the value goes up so 1 seconds, 10 seconds, 43 seconds etc.

If I enable deinterlacing the counter goes down, so 40 seconds, 32 etc.

Why this?

Last edited by steakhutzeee; 14th February 2018 at 18:57.
steakhutzeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2018, 21:30   #48965  |  Link
el Filou

Hi, I have a question about HDR: MediaInfo for Dunkirk UHD Blu-ray says:
Quote:
Mastering display luminance : max: 4000 cd/m2
Maximum Content Light Level : 323 cd/m2
Maximum Frame-Average Light Level : 144 cd/m2
However, madVR's OSD is regularly showing much higher values than 323 cd/m2, and even the credits at the end with pale white text on black show 170-200 cd/m2.
Is the OSD 'correcting' the values somehow, or is MediaInfo reporting wrong values?
Old 14th February 2018, 22:19   #48966  |  Link
ryrynz

Quote:
Originally Posted by steakhutzeee View Post

If I enable deinterlacing the counter goes down, so 40 seconds, 32 etc.
You're deinterlacing so you're doubling the frames presented and that will affect this, probably best to enable Smooth Motion.
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2018, 22:25   #48967  |  Link
steakhutzeee

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryrynz View Post
You're deinterlacing so you're doubling the frames presented and that will affect this, probably best to enable Smooth Motion.
Thanks, I'm going to try

I should enable or disable deinterlacing? For what I know I need it with video file, and this is movie

EDIT: Tested, same thing.

It's strange, it's movie so by default deinterlacing is off (I think this is the way), and if it's true I've this 1 frame repeated up or down with or without deinterlacing, the real dropped frame counter doesn't increase for all the length of the source. So I never encounter this "dropping" but madvr says to me that I could see him?

Last edited by steakhutzeee; 14th February 2018 at 22:36.
Old 14th February 2018, 23:09   #48968  |  Link
ryrynz

It should always be enabled for interlaced content. When Smooth Motion is enabled then the dropped/repeated frame count is no longer accurate.
Old 15th February 2018, 00:31   #48969  |  Link
steakhutzeee

Quote:
It should always be enabled for interlaced content. When Smooth Motion is enabled then the dropped/repeated frame count is no longer accurate.
How I know if a content is interlaced? I'm having confusion.

What of three options I need to set in smooth motion? I never used it before.

So with s. Motion enabled I can still see the voice '1 frame repeated every' but it's not relevant?

Don't understand, because with smooth motion off, as I always had, this '1 frame etc.' is constantly changing, but the 'dropped frames' are 0.

So, how i have 0 dropped frame in the end?

Why i need smooth motion, if without it dropped frame are 0? Always with this 1 frame drop every... Etc.

1 frame drop every..., but total dropped frame is always equal.

Lot of confusion
Old 15th February 2018, 01:16   #48970  |  Link
ryrynz

madVR has deinterlacing options under 'processing', it should be ticked to automatically activate, it will then use DXVA to deinterlace your content if it requires it.
Broadcast content is usually the main place you'll find interlaced content along with DVDs. You can check the properties of the file you're playing back to see this, Scan type: Interlaced
What matters are the actual frame drop/repeated results not what the calculator is saying.. and with Smooth Motion on it negates it anyway because it recreates enough blended frames to avoid the issue of dropped/repeated frames.
Old 15th February 2018, 02:59   #48971  |  Link
steakhutzeee

Quote:
madVR has deinterlacing options under 'processing', it should be ticked to automatically activate, it will then use DXVA to deinterlace your content if it requires it.
Broadcast content is usually the main place you'll find interlaced content along with DVDs. You can check the properties of the file you're playing back to see this, Scan type: Interlaced
What matters are the actual frame drop/repeated results not what the calculator is saying.. and with Smooth Motion on it negates it anyway because it recreates enough blended frames to avoid the issue of dropped/repeated frames.
>So, I always used 'in doubt deactivate deinterlacing'. I should select 'in doubt enable'?

What happens if I use deinterlacing on a non-interlaced source both video and movie mode? Now I'm forcing movie one.

>Where I find the scan type?

>I still dont understand your last point:

"What matters are the actual frame drop/repeated results not what the calculator is saying.."

Calculator = total sum? Or the 1 frame repeated etc.?

If the first then why use s. motion at all if only the total result of dropped f. is important? In my case, 0?

If the second, i did not understood

"and with Smooth Motion on it negates it anyway because it recreates enough blended frames to avoid the issue of dropped/repeated frames"

But I enabled smooth motion to try it when you suggested, with deinterlacing on/off and I still see the x frame dropped every... With always 0 dropped frame (in total).

Can you explain these points?
Thanks! So glad I'm finally learning something and becoming a semi capable madvr user

Last edited by steakhutzeee; 15th February 2018 at 03:03.
Old 15th February 2018, 05:38   #48972  |  Link
ryrynz

If you encounter interlaced content frequently then I would select if in doubt activate. There is no "movie one" there is film and video.. if you have it on film it's not deinterlacing!

In most cases deinterlacing being turned on when with progressive content won't have any negative effects. Don't enable 'disable automatic source type detection' So it's only top and bottom boxes ticked only.

Scan type info like I said is in properties. Generally right click -> Properties or wherever your media player stores current file loaded properties. It's easy to see if a file is interlaced generally as there are combing artifacts visible throughout the entire frame.

You just want to achieve as little dropped/repeated frames as possible, if Smooth Motion gets you there and you're happy with the results just leave it selected and you don't have to worry.
Yes, madVR still displays 'frame dropped every' but it's no longer relevant.
Old 15th February 2018, 10:00   #48973  |  Link
steakhutzeee

Quote:
If you encounter interlaced content frequently then I would select if in doubt activate. There is no "movie one" there is film and video.. if you have it on film it's not deinterlacing!

In most cases deinterlacing being turned on when with progressive content won't have any negative effects. Don't enable 'disable automatic source type detection' So it's only top and bottom boxes ticked only.

Scan type info like I said is in properties. Generally right click -> Properties or wherever your media player stores current file loaded properties. It's easy to see if a file is interlaced generally as there are combing artifacts visible throughout the entire frame.

You just want to achieve as little dropped/repeated frames as possible, if Smooth Motion gets you there and you're happy with the results just leave it selected and you don't have to worry.
Yes, madVR still displays 'frame dropped every' but it's no longer relevant.
>> So if I enable forced film mode, deinterlacing will never go active? Even if I select 'if in doubt activate?

With dvd discs, if I use film mode I've no frame dropped, so this forcing, and its IVTC operate like deinterlacing? What's different? Because the result is the same (0 frame dropped).

>> "Don't enable 'disable automatic source type detection' So it's only top and bottom boxes ticked only."

So I should re enable the automatic source type detection?
What are these top and bottom options I should enable?

>> I should enable s. motion with what option? There are three boxes I can active.

I don't understand how can '1 frame dropped every' became non relevant, what this means? Because with or without it I can see that the total of dropped f. is still 0. Uhm, because of the blended frames . But question remains, if is the result I need to look at, the result is total dropped frame 0, with and without S. Motion, so why enable/need it?

EDIT: My error, it doest says 1 frame dropped every... but 1 frame repeated every.

So where I can found the total of repeated frames?

Last edited by steakhutzeee; 15th February 2018 at 18:33.
Old 15th February 2018, 18:47   #48974  |  Link
steakhutzeee

I read
if in doubt, activate deinterlacing: [Disabled] deinterlace video not flagged as progressive.

So if i have a file that is not progressive, but for example constant, deinterlacing should be active. But it's not. It says off(says upstream). Why?

And if I enable deinterlacing with hotkeys I've dropped frames. Confusion

Last edited by steakhutzeee; 15th February 2018 at 18:49.
Old 15th February 2018, 19:20   #48975  |  Link
Asmodian

No progressive but constant? What does that mean?

I think you need to google interlaced video. Deinterlacing doubles the frame rate but otherwise is not related to this frame drop/repeat rate madVR reports.
Old 15th February 2018, 19:26   #48976  |  Link
steakhutzeee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmodian View Post
No progressive but constant? What does that mean?

I think you need to google interlaced video. Deinterlacing doubles the frame rate but otherwise is not related to this frame drop/repeat rate madVR reports.
I did it and I'm trying to understand.

@Ryrynz said that I need to look at the source type to understand if I need deinterlacing.

Before I was forcing film mode. Now I re enabled the automatic source detection and was looking for this source type.

If that option i mentioned active deinterlacing when a source is not flagged as progressive, so I supposed that for every source that's not progressive the deinterlacing will be on.

I'm making confusion.

I said constant because I can read this in media info, i tested a file that was progressive. So testing a constant one I was expecting to see deinterlacing on.

EDIT: Yes I was wrong. I was looking for frane rate type, instead I've to look at scan type

I'm trying to get rid of that 1 frame repeated every...

Last edited by steakhutzeee; 15th February 2018 at 19:33.
Old 15th February 2018, 23:10   #48977  |  Link
Asmodian

To do that you only need to match your refresh rate to your frame rate or use smooth motion. Deinterlacing is only relevant in that it doubles the frame rate you need to match.
Old 15th February 2018, 23:13   #48978  |  Link
steakhutzeee

Quote:
To do that you only need to match your refresh rate to your frame rate or use smooth motion. Deinterlacing is only relevant in that it doubles the frame rate you need to match.
What means frame repeated?
I can see the total counter only for delayed and drkpled frames, but not for repeated.

And how can I match the frame rate?

Thanks
Old 16th February 2018, 00:33   #48979  |  Link
Asmodian

madVR has a custom refresh rate tool if you want to match frame rates (devices -> display -> display modes -> custom modes)

However, if you don't notice a dropped or repeated frames then I wouldn't worry about it. For some reason madVR often does not report repeated frames in the OSD, there should be another line next to dropped frames for repeated frames. A repeated frame is one that is displayed for an extra monitor refresh to maintain audio sync.
Old 16th February 2018, 00:42   #48980  |  Link
steakhutzeee

Quote:
madVR has a custom refresh rate tool if you want to match frame rates (devices -> display -> display modes -> custom modes)

However, if you don't notice a dropped or repeated frames then I wouldn't worry about it. For some reason madVR often does not report repeated frames in the OSD, there should be another line next to dropped frames for repeated frames. A repeated frame is one that is displayed for an extra monitor refresh to maintain audio sync.
Well, I don't know if I have repeated frames because I have not that line.

Can I tweak it some way?

It's strange because I never experienced this frame repeated every x seconds.

I just discovered the deinterlacing theory the other day so learned how to turn on and off deinterlacing. So today I noticed this repeated frame, don't know

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling