Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Subtitles

Old 8th February 2018, 13:38   #661  |  Link
varekai

Quote:
Originally Posted by von Suppé View Post
@ varekai

Aahh I see now. It's the preview of SE's chosen videoplayer itself. Sorry for the misinterpretation.

What you can do is in settings, choose mpv as videoplayer (you have to click download button). And then also set "mpv handles preview text.
MPV will show all subtitles above the interface.

cheers
Thanks, tried mpv before and subs preview are not so elegant as with DirectShow. Guess I can try to get used to it once more...
varekai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2018, 16:36   #662  |  Link
von Suppé

I know what you mean. Using SE for creating/editing srt's, I don't mind much how it looks in my preview because the end goal is to play it with mediaplayers.
And as for srt, which is only text and timing-info, I always end up creating SUP files to mux with video. That way I control how & where the subtitles will look.

Maybe there is some settings withtin the DirectShow configuration you can change for how subtitles are displayed?
von Suppé is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2018, 17:02   #663  |  Link
varekai

@ von Suppé
Yeah, an improved DirectShow subtitle preview would be great, or a better looking mpv preview that is smoother for my eyes.
When editing and syncing it gets tiresome after a while for my eyes, so the smoother the preview font style is the better.
So I'll stick to DirectShow for now.
I do much the same as you, starting with either an imported sup/sub/ or from scratch an srt.
When needed I create a BD sup where I can choose font, style, size, placement, color etc.
Without the excellent Subtitle Edit I would be lost!
Old 27th February 2018, 20:13   #664  |  Link
Zetti

Thanks for new release:
https://github.com/SubtitleEdit/subt...ases/tag/3.5.6
Zetti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2018, 17:43   #665  |  Link
tormento
Acid fr0g

@Nikse555
  1. Could you please enable CTRL+a as "select all" in windows such as batch convert? Would be really comfortable to use when removing lot of subs.
  2. There is a regression, dunno since which version. If you feed the following srt:
    Code:
    00:01:48,275 --> 00:01:51,987
    And why would I want them? DRIVER:
    They were trying to grab your prize.

00:18:04,459 --> 00:18:06,086
    What? BLAKE: Name's Jimmy.

00:21:21,572 --> 00:21:22,949
    Go! SWAT 2: Go!

00:31:45,738 --> 00:31:48,324
    Now. YUPPIE: Creep!

01:03:23,258 --> 01:03:26,470
    Mr. Wayne, over here! MAN 2:
    How's it feel to be one of the people?

02:03:45,377 --> 02:03:46,753
    Bruce. WAYNE: You okay?
    and you try to remove text before colon (":"), if you select "Only if text is UPPERCASE, SE won't find any. If you deselect it, SE won't find all and the ones it finds give wrong output.

Last edited by tormento; 28th February 2018 at 18:05.
tormento is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2018, 06:14   #666  |  Link
raymondjpg

Save Last Used Dictionary

I've noticed that on a number of occasions in this forum the question has been asked can an option be implemented in the drop-down menu for dictionaries, or in the settings, to return to or save the last used dictionary. At the moment the English US Dictionary is always loaded by default.

I haven't been able to find any response to this question. Would it be too difficult to implement?
raymondjpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2018, 15:01   #667  |  Link
hello_hello

I get this error message when running Subtitle Edit 3.5.6 on XP, although once I dismiss the error message, it seems to run normally (so far). I'm using the portable version.

Thank you.

Last edited by hello_hello; 13th March 2018 at 15:29.
hello_hello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2018, 15:24   #668  |  Link
hello_hello

Quote:
Originally Posted by raymondjpg View Post
I've noticed that on a number of occasions in this forum the question has been asked can an option be implemented in the drop-down menu for dictionaries, or in the settings, to return to or save the last used dictionary. At the moment the English US Dictionary is always loaded by default.
If you're referring to the dictionary selected when opening the spell checker, I was one of the people who made a similar request, and it was changed quite a while ago.
https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?p=1765592
Old 14th March 2018, 03:30   #669  |  Link
raymondjpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by hello_hello View Post
If you're referring to the dictionary selected when opening the spell checker, I was one of the people who made a similar request, and it was changed quite a while ago.
Thanks for the response but:

1. I cannot locate that beta from 2016 from your link
2. The latest version 3.5.6 still defaults to English US.
3. The latest beta also defaults to English US.

Perhaps I am just unable to find the setting to have Subtitle Edit open to last used dictionary. If so, could you please point me to it?

TIA

Last edited by raymondjpg; 14th March 2018 at 06:36.
Old 14th March 2018, 09:45   #670  |  Link
jpsdr

BTW, as we are now at version 3.5.6, shouldn't the thread title be updated ?
Old 14th March 2018, 12:32   #671  |  Link
raymondjpg

Quote:
My mistake. Your request was regarding the dictionary selected when opening the spell checker.

My request is for the dictionary selected in the OCR dialogue window. Can that default to the last dictionary used there too?
Old 14th March 2018, 15:43   #672  |  Link
Nikse555

@varekai: the video preview font for "mpv" can be modified by modifying the default ASS/SSA font in Options -> Settings, so maybe you can find a nicer font/font-size.

@tormento: sorry, SE never had this feature - I think I tried once, but it gave some false positives...

@hello_hello: The startup error is due to the fact, that TLS is not supported in .net framework 4.0 (and the newest .net framework available in WinXp). Next update will not start with this crash but some downloads from SE will no longer work - read more here: https://github.com/SubtitleEdit/subt...it/issues/2799

@raymondjpg: SE actually does save/use the last used dictionary. Unless the language is auto-detected, SE will use the last used dictionary.
So, when do you get the wrong language and what language do you use?
Nikse555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2018, 17:13   #673  |  Link
varekai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikse555 View Post
@varekai: the video preview font for "mpv" can be modified by modifying the default ASS/SSA font in Options -> Settings, so maybe you can find a nicer font/font-size.?
Thanks for the info, will try that with my next project.
Also thanks for an outstanding one-of-a-kind software!

Best regards
Old 14th March 2018, 20:29   #674  |  Link
hello_hello

Quote:
@raymondjpg: SE actually does save/use the last used dictionary. Unless the language is auto-detected, SE will use the last used dictionary.
I'd forgotten, but he seems to be correct.
When importing an idx/sub subtitle, the OCR window always seems to default to using the English US dictionary (I tried a PAL disc).
I guess it's got to pick the correct language, but it would be nice if it remembered the last dictionary used for a particular language (assuming there's more than one), such as the English GB dictionary.

Cheers.
Old 15th March 2018, 01:51   #675  |  Link
raymondjpg

Quote:
I seem to get English US dictionary in the OCR dialogue whenever I open a .sub file with English language. Sometimes those .sub files are for UK English language, and I prefer to use the English UK dictionary.

It seems that the OCR dialogue in SE is correctly identifying the language, but if I select the English UK dictionary in the drop down menu, the next time I open the OCR dialogue with the same .sub file I get the English US dictionary back by default.

Quote:
I'd forgotten, but he seems to be correct.
When importing an idx/sub subtitle, the OCR window always seems to default to using the English US dictionary (I tried a PAL disc).
I guess it's got to pick the correct language, but it would be nice if it remembered the last dictionary used for a particular language (assuming there's more than one), such as the English GB dictionary.

Cheers.
Thanks for the confirmation.

Last edited by raymondjpg; 15th March 2018 at 01:54.
Old 15th March 2018, 15:54   #676  |  Link
tormento
Acid fr0g

Quote:
@tormento: sorry, SE never had this feature
Could you implement it? CTRL+a is a sort of universal shortcut in lot of programs.
Quote:
I think I tried once, but it gave some false positives...
Just add "remove any CAPITAL TEXT followed by colon".
Old 15th March 2018, 20:29   #677  |  Link
Nikse555

@raymondjpg: I've tried to remember spell check dictionary in ocr in latest beta.

@tormento: Ctrl+a (select all), ctrl+d (de-select) , ctrl+shift+i (invert) should now be implemented in many list views in latest beta.

Latest beta: https://github.com/SubtitleEdit/subt...leEditBeta.zip
Nikse555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2018, 04:36   #678  |  Link
raymondjpg

Quote:
@raymondjpg: I've tried to remember spell check dictionary in ocr in latest beta.

Latest beta: https://github.com/SubtitleEdit/subt...leEditBeta.zip
Thank you! That looks like it is working now.
Old 17th March 2018, 12:44   #679  |  Link
tormento
Acid fr0g

Quote:
@tormento: Ctrl+a (select all), ctrl+d (de-select) , ctrl+shift+i (invert) should now be implemented in many list views in latest beta.
Old 23rd March 2018, 05:56   #680  |  Link
raymondjpg

I am trying to reset Subtitle Edit 3.5.6 (the installed version) to default (initial installation) settings.

I uninstall Subtitle Edit (I have tried both from Control Panel in Windows 7 64 bit, and from the uninstaller in the Program Files Directory), using the option to clear all modifications and settings, and also delete the User directory. I then cleanup temporary files in the Windows 7 installation and reboot the PC.

When I then reinstall Subtitle Edit 3.5.6, the program remembers the last opened directory.

It appears that there is something of Subtitle Edit's settings remaining in the system after a complete uninstall. If anyone knows what it is, could they please point me to it.

TIA

Last edited by raymondjpg; 23rd March 2018 at 06:43.