Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 22nd April 2018, 21:16   #50321  |  Link
ui123

Thanks a lot Warner306 & Asmodian for your answers
ui123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2018, 22:19   #50322  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalston View Post
OK, I just tested different subtitle types (DVD, blu-ray, SRT) and it makes no difference. Tested different files too, it's all very consistent.

With MPC-HC & its internal subtitle renderer (and a full LAV+madvr chain) no issues at all, on any file and with any type of subs. Completely negligible impact on performance.

Now, with XySubFilter (had to install that ) and MPC-HC, yes, I am seeing a performance hit (rendering times in madVR overlay), but it seems a bit smaller (about 4-5ms instead of 9-10).
Ok, it seems the way I render the subtitles does cost a noticeable chunk of performance on old/slow GPUs. I'm not exactly sure why. Maybe the combination of using a high bitdepth backbuffer (by default 16bit) and then asking the GPU to alpha blend subtitles onto it isn't too easy to do for such GPUs.

The performance hit with JRiver MC is probably higher because depending on the situation it sometimes renders to a higher resolution.

There's probably not much I can do to speed things up. At least I don't know how. I do wonder why the internal MPC-HC subtitle renderer doesn't seem to have the same performance hit, though. Hmmm... Is it possible it does have a similar hit and it's just not listed by madVR? I'm not sure right now if my rendering times measurement system successfully captures how much time the MPC-HC internal subtitle renderer spends.

Quote:
Originally Posted by e-t172 View Post
Great! So we will probably be able to drive these TVs with 120hz *fixed*sync. Looking forward to that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by e-t172 View Post
That's fascinating, especially the discussion that follows on that thread - people are discussing how to circumvent real-time Windows thread scheduling limitations to time Present() calls in the most accurate (least jittery) way possible, which is exactly the problem that madVR would have to solve if it were to leverage variable sync for smooth video presentation.
Exactly. See FAQ in the 2nd post of this thread.
madshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2018, 22:59   #50323  |  Link
Asmodian

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
Great! So we will probably be able to drive these TVs with 120hz *fixed*sync. Looking forward to that.
It is a 4K TV that can do 1080p at 120 Hz, just like last year's OLEDs from LG. The only thing new is Freesync support.
Old 22nd April 2018, 23:06   #50324  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

madVR v0.92.13 released

http://madshi.net/madVR.zip

Code:
* added 2 new RCA quality levels, with NGU fusion support
* if "activate RCA only if it comes for free" is active, NGU quality level isn't modified, anymore
* improved "preserve hue" tone mapping quality
* added "dynamic" mode for "luminance vs saturation reduction" option
* added "dumb" tone mapping algo, optionally with color correction
* added support for Arve custom tone mapping curves
* added "hdrOutput" information field
Didn't have much time, so only a few changes. No (important) bugfixes this time. Besides all the HDR changes (which are still a work in progress), the key changes in this build is as follows:

1) The former RCA "high" quality is now "very high" quality.

2) The former RCA "medium" quality is now "high" quality.

3) Added new faster (and worse quality) "medium" and "low" RCA presets.

4) Basically now RCA has the same quality levels as NGU (low, medium, high, very high). And now the fusing of NGU+RCA happens with the same quality level names. Which should make the fusion logic slightly easier to understand (I hope).

5) If you enable the option "activate only if it comes for free", in older builds madVR used whatever quality was "higher". So basically if you used NGU High + RCA Very High (formerly known as RCA High), madVR actually "upgraded" NGU to Very High quality. This still happens if you have "activate only if it comes for free" disabled. But if you enable it, the new build now never changes NGU quality level, anymore. Instead NGU quality will stay exactly as you selected it, and RCA is simply added via fusion, regardless of which RCA quality level you've selected.

P.S: In order to use custom Arve curves for tone mapping, you need to use a special patched version of that tool. The original tool doesn't work for madVR, because the original tool has too low precision for my taste. You can download the custom version of the tool for madVR here:

http://madshi.net/jvcprojectortools.zip

Last edited by madshi; 22nd April 2018 at 23:09.
Old 22nd April 2018, 23:14   #50325  |  Link
ABDO

another great released, thank you madshi for your hard work <as always>
ABDO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2018, 23:43   #50326  |  Link
ABDO

madshi, the new RCA quality levels is great, i can now use it easily with 1080p video at my (gtx 650ti boost), amazing.

Last edited by ABDO; 22nd April 2018 at 23:46.
ABDO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2018, 00:03   #50327  |  Link
huhn

120 UHD will come with HDMI 2.1 most likely next year.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2018, 00:33   #50328  |  Link
leeperry
Kid for Today

for the new build but I used to have the "activate only if free" RCA checkbox enabled so it would keep 1080p untouched and allow me to combo medium RCA + "very high" NGU, but this isn't an option anymore apparently? This new change has made the checkbox useless for me, I don't see why you won't allow us to change the RCA level if it's free-ish

Last edited by leeperry; 23rd April 2018 at 00:36.
leeperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2018, 01:02   #50329  |  Link
HillieSan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclingo View Post
I didnt notice any issues with it and dont remember anything being posted, so I know what to look out for should problems recurr with later updates which problems was it causing?
I think it was fixed in version 0.71.0-1, a few days after version 0.71.0-0 was released.

Quote:
Originally Posted by strumf666 View Post
D3D11 native and AMD drivers have (had?) its problems. CB not to my knowledge.
That was a long time ago. FSE was/is problematic. I am not sure if it was a pure AMD driver problem. Microsoft also broke/fixed a few things in Windows 10.
HillieSan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2018, 01:13   #50330  |  Link
Warner306

I found a bug. If you enable "restore details in compressed highlights" under hdr, the image becomes corrupted and turns purple.

This is with SDR content, not HDR, so this option shouldn't do anything. Tested with Nvidia and Intel drivers.
Warner306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2018, 01:16   #50331  |  Link
Warner306

I have some questions about the new release:

1) I understand the concept about fix too bright & saturated pixels with regards to illegal RGB values but less about gamut mapping. Do all pixels falling within the gamut (those above 0 to 100 nits) require hue and saturation adjustments after tone mapping, or does this only apply to mapping BT.2020 to BT.709?

2) What happened to diffuse white?

3) Does BT.2390 clip anything, or does it preserve all highlights?

4) Does the strength setting do anything with the free variant of RCA?

That is all...

Last edited by Warner306; 23rd April 2018 at 04:20.
Warner306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2018, 03:22   #50332  |  Link
Asmodian

Quote:
5) If you enable the option "activate only if it comes for free", in older builds madVR used whatever quality was "higher". So basically if you used NGU High + RCA Very High (formerly known as RCA High), madVR actually "upgraded" NGU to Very High quality. This still happens if you have "activate only if it comes for free" disabled. But if you enable it, the new build now never changes NGU quality level, anymore. Instead NGU quality will stay exactly as you selected it, and RCA is simply added via fusion, regardless of which RCA quality level you've selected.
Much more straight forward and it seems ideal behavior, nice upgrade. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeperry View Post
I used to have the "activate only if free" RCA checkbox enabled so it would keep 1080p untouched and allow me to combo medium RCA + "very high" NGU, but this isn't an option anymore apparently? This new change has made the checkbox useless for me, I don't see why you won't allow us to change the RCA level if it's free-ish
I don't understand. If you are running NGU very high why would you want to run RCA medium? That would cost more performance than running RCA very high (for free) wouldn't it?

That option used to change the NGU level to match the RCA level or the RCA level to match the NGU level (whichever was higher), not allow you to run RCA for free at a different quality level.

Last edited by Asmodian; 23rd April 2018 at 07:00.
Asmodian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2018, 07:18   #50333  |  Link
toniash

Bug

I get a purple image with last version
toniash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2018, 07:49   #50334  |  Link
Asmodian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warner306 View Post
I found a bug. If you enable "restore details in compressed highlights" under hdr, the image becomes corrupted and turns purple.

This is with SDR content, not HDR, so this option shouldn't do anything. Tested with Nvidia and Intel drivers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by toniash View Post
I get a purple image with last version
I can reproduce this too. It happen if I have "restore details in compressed highlights" enabled on the "hdr -> convert HDR content to SDR by using pixel shader math" page even if I have the hdr setting on "passthrough HDR content to the display" but not if I have it on "let madVR decide" (this is while watching SDR or HDR content). It looks like a cool debug mode to me.

Interestingly it also doesn't happen if I am actually watching HDR using "convert HDR content to SDR by using pixel shader math".

Last edited by Asmodian; 23rd April 2018 at 07:55.
Asmodian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2018, 09:56   #50335  |  Link
toniash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmodian View Post
I can reproduce this too. It happen if I have "restore details in compressed highlights" enabled on the "hdr -> convert HDR content to SDR by using pixel shader math" page even if I have the hdr setting on "passthrough HDR content to the display" but not if I have it on "let madVR decide" (this is while watching SDR or HDR content). It looks like a cool debug mode to me.
Thanks!
toniash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2018, 11:15   #50336  |  Link
leeperry
Kid for Today

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmodian View Post
That option used to change the NGU level to match the RCA level or the RCA level to match the NGU level (whichever was higher), not allow you to run RCA for free at a different quality level.
OK fair enough, I guess I'll never check this box ever again and try my luck enabling low RCA for NGU Medium 720p30@1080p60 as the "free" checkbox only worked up to 720p25 huh.
Old 23rd April 2018, 15:10   #50337  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeperry View Post
I used to have the "activate only if free" RCA checkbox enabled so it would keep 1080p untouched and allow me to combo medium RCA + "very high" NGU, but this isn't an option anymore apparently? This new change has made the checkbox useless for me, I don't see why you won't allow us to change the RCA level if it's free-ish
I don't really understand what you're saying, but my impression is that you either misunderstood how it worked before, or how it works now, or both... Why don't you give it a try and observe if anything doesn't behave the way you would want it to. If that's the case, report it here.

Quote:
1) I understand the concept about fix too bright & saturated pixels with regards to illegal RGB values but less about gamut mapping. Do all pixels falling within the gamut (those above 0 to 100 nits) require hue and saturation adjustments after tone mapping, or does this only apply to mapping BT.2020 to BT.709?
It's really complicated. In theory a near black pixel could produce negative RGB values. Such a pixel would require some hue and saturation adjustment, too. Pixels above 100nits or even 1000nits may or may not fit into the gamut, depending on hue. On the other hand, even pixels below 100nits can already be out of gamut (after tone mapping). A lot depends on which hue and saturation each pixel has.

Quote:
2) What happened to diffuse white?
It was only available in the test builds. I've removed it because it didn't really bring anything useful to the table. E.g. if you had peak=100 and diffuseWhite=20, you can achieve the exact same output by using peak=500 now. Basically diffuseWhite just scaled the peak number, nothing else.

Quote:
3) Does BT.2390 clip anything, or does it preserve all highlights?
If madVR knows the correct video peak (no matter how), BT.2390 doesn't clip anything. But if madVR believes the video peak to be lower than it actually is, then there will be some clipping.

Quote:
4) Does the strength setting do anything with the free variant of RCA?
When using the free "NGU+RCA fusion" variant, the RCA strength setting is still in full effect. But you can't choose the RCA quality, anymore, because the quality is now defined by the NGU quality. Obviously this only applies if you told madVR that you want to use RCA only if it comes for free. Otherwise both RCA strength and quality settings will be fully honored in any case.
Old 23rd April 2018, 15:10   #50338  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

madVR v0.92.14 released

http://madshi.net/madVR.zip

Code:
* fixed: activated HDR option "restore details in compressed highlights" broke SDR playback
Old 23rd April 2018, 17:16   #50339  |  Link
Klaus1189

Quote:
madVR v0.92.14 released
Thank you
Klaus1189 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2018, 18:12   #50340  |  Link
leeperry
Kid for Today

Quote:
I don't really understand what you're saying, but my impression is that you either misunderstood how it worked before, or how it works now, or both... Why don't you give it a try and observe if anything doesn't behave the way you would want it to. If that's the case, report it here.
True
All I know is that it used to be free-ish but now appears truly free and I can finally use RCA+NGU Medium on 720p30@1080p so that's perfect

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling