Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > VirtualDub, VDubMod & AviDemux

Old 11th August 2018, 13:30   #541  |  Link
kolak

Maybe add -W which should keep RAW untouched (not brightened- not sure).

Metadata is tricky part for sure. Here is some hint:
http://vfx-rants.blogspot.com/2012/0...eform-raw.html

I want to use Cineform RAW in Resolve which does bypass Cineform metadata and debayering anyway, so I assume it still make sense.
There are 2 parts in this article:
- make debayered image look LOG, but not green (so you apply inverted embedded color matrix)
- 2nd part is to give it a "final" look for sRGB/REc.709 screen (optional)

Here you have BM Ursa Mini original assets:
http://translate.google.com/translat...rdpress.com%2F

which represent good source. If you can convert few frames into CF RAW (no metadata) I can have a look.

Last edited by kolak; 11th August 2018 at 13:41.
kolak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2018, 23:03   #542  |  Link
shekh

Quote:
Originally Posted by kolak View Post
Here you have BM Ursa Mini original assets:
http://translate.google.com/translat...rdpress.com%2F

which represent good source. If you can convert few frames into CF RAW (no metadata) I can have a look.
Hope you can deal with it. Looks not too bad, at least details are present.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1OB...X2Q9fPQy6w-9O1
Old 12th August 2018, 11:27   #543  |  Link
kolak

Hm... I had similar results. This is not really good. You can't get "proper" look from it after debayering. Something seems to be wrong.
Old 12th August 2018, 13:43   #544  |  Link
shekh

Quote:
Hm... I had similar results. This is not really good. You can't get "proper" look from it after debayering. Something seems to be wrong.
How about this one: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1uX...I_fRP13i6rq7lV

It seems BM Ursa pattern is GBRG rather than RGGB so I flipped the raw image vertically before encoding. Colors turn legible
Old 12th August 2018, 17:28   #545  |  Link
shekh

Build 42122, bugfix and very experimental CF raw support.

To encode CF raw: open grayscale 16-bit images (I16), any format like ppm,pgm,tiff is ok. Select "bayer" in codec settings.
To decode CF raw: select decode format->grayscale. This triggers bayer output in I16 format.
It appears that there is conversion error between I16<->RGBA64 (clipped dark values)
Old 12th August 2018, 19:02   #546  |  Link
kolak

Great! It's fine now, except image is 180 degrees flipped
Not sure how, but now if you could just pass to CF RAW this matrix values to bring image into more similar look to DNG.

Last edited by kolak; 12th August 2018 at 19:17.
Old 12th August 2018, 19:11   #547  |  Link
shekh

Quote:
Great! It's fine now, except image is 180 degrees flipped
It's just to confirm the workflow Now it needs some simple filter to change mosaic order instead of flipping.
Another alternative with this source is to crop 1 line off top and bottom.
Old 12th August 2018, 19:33   #548  |  Link
kolak

I'm playing with it now.
Footage looks quite fine in Resolve. Any colorist can grade from it (even without all those somehow helpful matrixes applied).
Pattern will be different for different camera makers, so this is something to "sort out"- eg. have setting to force specific one.

My method was very convoluted. Save dcraw decoded TIFF with ffmpeg as uncompressed 16bit raw video with BYR4 header (which allowed CF encoder to link to it and switch to RAW mode) and then use diretchsow encoder in grpahedit It did work though
Old 12th August 2018, 20:31   #549  |  Link
kolak

Trying to measure CF RAW (to source RAW) PSNR and having issue with levels.

"It appears that there is conversion error between I16<->RGBA64 (clipped dark values)"

I assume this is an issue. I can't at the moment save decoded CF RAW into something which I could compare against original TIFF RAW.
Old 12th August 2018, 21:13   #550  |  Link
kolak

Quote:
Originally Posted by shekh View Post
How about this one: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1uX...I_fRP13i6rq7lV

It seems BM Ursa pattern is GBRG rather than RGGB so I flipped the raw image vertically before encoding. Colors turn legible
Yes, dcraw confirms that it's RGRB.
Old 13th August 2018, 22:11   #551  |  Link
wonkey_monkey
Formerly davidh*****

I have another suggestion for you shekh, if I may. One thing I, and hopefully other people, would dearly love in VirtualDub2 is a pop-up magnifier that we could use to zoom in on a particular spot.

I made a mock(ery) - it could either be directly under the pointer (left) or offset somehow (right). Or perhaps it could be a third pane.

PS The "Input video pane" and "Output video pane" options don't do what I'd expect - I was expecting them to remove the panes entirely rather than simply stop updating them. I guess that's what the Pane Layout submenu is for, but the descriptions for the main menu options (F9/F10) are ambiguous, I think.
Old 13th August 2018, 22:47   #552  |  Link
shekh

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidhorman View Post
I have another suggestion for you shekh, if I may. One thing I, and hopefully other people, would dearly love in VirtualDub2 is a pop-up magnifier that we could use to zoom in on a particular spot.

I made a mock(ery) - it could either be directly under the pointer (left) or offset somehow (right). Or perhaps it could be a third pane.
I also want this Currently to view some pixels I go to the "crop" filter and use magnifier there (holding shift).
But it is not very convenient. Could be better if I make it available in the main panes too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidhorman View Post
PS The "Input video pane" and "Output video pane" options don't do what I'd expect - I was expecting them to remove the panes entirely rather than simply stop updating them. I guess that's what the Pane Layout submenu is for, but the descriptions for the main menu options (F9/F10) are ambiguous, I think.
I don't know why these options exist at all. Maybe "Freeze input pane" will be better name?
Old 13th August 2018, 23:52   #553  |  Link
shekh

Quote:
Trying to measure CF RAW (to source RAW) PSNR and having issue with levels.

"It appears that there is conversion error between I16<->RGBA64 (clipped dark values)"

I assume this is an issue. I can't at the moment save decoded CF RAW into something which I could compare against original TIFF RAW.
Here is build from WIP branch with some unconfirmed changes.
Y16 is handled better and there is gray16 tiff export too.
I added bayer options to cineform codec (it adds TAG_BAYER_FORMAT CF metadata). Cineform decoder applies it on debayering.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=11b...Mnc6ORW4szTRU1
Old 14th August 2018, 00:16   #554  |  Link
kolak

Will try.
Old 14th August 2018, 00:35   #555  |  Link
kolak

All working better now
I have to use BG setting for this Ursa shot, which seems to be strange?
Old 14th August 2018, 00:43   #556  |  Link
shekh

Quote:
All working better now
I have to use BG setting for this Ursa shot, which seems to be strange?
Are you sure? It works for me with GB, and this is what dcraw reports "Filter pattern: GB/RG".
Old 14th August 2018, 05:36   #557  |  Link
Yanak

Hello,

I don't know if it's normal or not but the setting "Auto-size" for the panels seems to not be remembered from one session to another and one video size to another sometimes.

I open a 1920x1080 video, set auto-size panels, then close vdub2 and reopen the same video and it stays auto sized, but if i open a video of let's says 1440p this time it will display both panels at 100% size and auto-size is unticked in the settings.

One thing that will be nice if possible without much coding work will be to set the auto-size of panels for each one individually, for example, having the output panel maximized at his maximum display capacity while the input panel is at 25% and having this setting remembered from one session to another, saving this as a kind of template.

Let's say that when opening a video the input panel will always be at 25% size ( as long as it fits inside the window, should be no problem on 1080p display and 1080p video, the 25% window will be 480x270px + the panel borders ) and the output will be displayed at his maximum size in the remaining free space while the zoom level being calculated to use a maximum of the remaining free space to stay inside the window, fully visible, in this example the 1080p video will be around 1422x800px in the output panel, 74% of the original 1080p size if i make no errors.

If we have a 720p input on a 1080p display the input panel will be at 25% ( around 320x180px + panel borders in size ) and there is enough free space to display the output at around 123-124%, not sure in this case if the output should be limited to 100% or still use the maximum it can from the remaining space to display at 123-124%, I prefer the second possibility tho, free to me to later use 100% with a simple right click on the panel to see at normal size.

Not sure if i explained myself correctly and if it's clear enough but will be nice to have such possibilities.

Another thing that will be nice is to have a kind of dark theme but this will probably need a ton of work for something that is pure cosmetic and won't ever happen

Thank you.
Yanak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2018, 11:11   #558  |  Link
kolak

Quote:
Are you sure? It works for me with GB, and this is what dcraw reports "Filter pattern: GB/RG".
Your are right. I simply didn't look properly.
Old 14th August 2018, 11:57   #559  |  Link
kolak

Quote:
I added bayer options to cineform codec (it adds TAG_BAYER_FORMAT CF metadata). Cineform decoder applies it on debayering.

Are you already passing some metadata? Nothing seems to change.
I can try asking David Newman how to map DNG metadata to CF metadata.

Last edited by kolak; 14th August 2018 at 12:00.
Old 14th August 2018, 12:32   #560  |  Link
shekh

Quote:
Are you already passing some metadata? Nothing seems to change.
I can try asking David Newman how to map DNG metadata to CF metadata.
I add bayer type metadata at encoding step only, based on bayer format selected in config dropdown.
Reading dng directly and preserving this info from source needs more effort. Maybe later!

> Nothing seems to change.

What problem do you see exactly? If I save the same source with 4 different bayer patterns they look differently when decoded as rgb. Either with native decoder in vd2 or with vfw decoder in mpc-hc.

It is possible to see the metadata in hex editor, begins with BFMT.
If you are looking at it in resolve, maybe it doesn't pick this flag?