Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > DVD & BD Rebuilder

Old 14th November 2018, 23:51   #28061  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowDead View Post
I only have a 1060 3GB card and it works great encoding HEVC. Great quality full disc in 30-60minutes with occasional encodes at 90 minutes.
Thanks. The downside of using anything other than X265, of course, is that then it would only work for those who spend a lot on NVidia cards, or those that spend a lot on a compliant Intel processor.

I'd prefer to stick with X265, but if I can't find a solution in the near future I may be forced to dump it. Too bad. It's really good software that just seems to be incapable of outputting a UHD-BD compliant stream. I would seem to me that they would make that a priority considering the number of UHD-BDs being produced out there.

[Edit] I just looked at the pricing of NVidia cards in the GTX 1060/1070 category... the price is ridiculous, that ain't happening any time soon. I'd rather park the software without UHD support than pay that much and force my user base to do the same.

Last edited by jdobbs; 15th November 2018 at 00:00.
jdobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2018, 00:19   #28062  |  Link
zargana

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdobbs View Post
[Edit] I just looked at the pricing of NVidia cards in the GTX 1060/1070 category... the price is ridiculous, that ain't happening any time soon. I'd rather park the software without UHD support than pay that much and force my user base to do the same.
No need to get such expensive card. I have a cheap 1050 GTX 2GB and Dvdfab takes about an hour to compress UHD sources to BD-50.
Not good quality though even with slower compression. No option to remove unwanted streams to save space for video quality.
zargana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2018, 03:47   #28063  |  Link
Lathe

Quote:
As I have explained many times before -- PayPal killed my account because they (incorrectly) decided this software violates some rule -- even though I explained clearly that there is no code involved that circumvents any copyright protection in any way. I argued with them until I was blue in the face -- and they essentially said "F-ck you, we don't care."

So I'd appreciate it if you'd just stop hounding me about something that can't happen.
Okay Boss... But, just so I understand (so that I don't get vaporized...) You can't just simply make up an anybody gmail account like everyone else (for example JDRox@gmail) where just anyone for any reason what so ever can send money that 'officially' has absolutely NOTHING to do with BDRB...??? Isn't it fully anonymous enough where ANYONE can do that where friend 'A' can send money to friend 'B'...? Truly I cannot understand why you can't do that (thus my continuously harping on it )
Lathe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2018, 04:08   #28064  |  Link
Lathe

Oh, just another thought... Why not simply set up some random gmail or email account for your wife and just 'tell' us here on the message boards what it is so that we know? You don't have to 'officially' attach it to BDRB, it will just be your wife. That way we can always very easily just 'send money' to that address 'friend to friend' Why in the name of all that is Holy can't you do that...? I'm try'n to help you here man...

I REALLY would just like to be able to shoot some money over to some e'mail address so that you can get it when I happen to have it. Like, "Oh, I have an extra $20, I think that I'll just shoot it over to JD at 'IwishIhadaBiggerxxx@gmail.com'?", DONE! It would be SO much easier and I just about can guarantee that more people will send you money if they can do it that easily. For some odd reason, I just don't like the Amazon thing, IDK why... If there is honestly some good reason you can't do that, could you please tell me so that I will understand and stop bothering you...? Thanks!
Old 15th November 2018, 07:14   #28065  |  Link
MrVideo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathe View Post
You can't just simply make up an anybody gmail account like everyone else (for example JDRox@gmail) where just anyone for any reason what so ever can send money that 'officially' has absolutely NOTHING to do with BDRB...??? Isn't it fully anonymous enough where ANYONE can do that where friend 'A' can send money to friend 'B'...?
You are forgetting that the user needs to supply bank account info in order to get the money from/to the PayPal account. While the old PayPal account won't be active, PayPal will keep records and will look up bank info to determine if a user is trying to play that trick.
MrVideo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2018, 12:33   #28066  |  Link
LowDead
Elit Amans

Quote:
As I have explained many times before -- PayPal killed my account because they (incorrectly) decided this software violates some rule -- even though I explained clearly that there is no code involved that circumvents any copyright protection in any way. I argued with them until I was blue in the face -- and they essentially said "F-ck you, we don't care."

So I'd appreciate it if you'd just stop hounding me about something that can't happen.
There are some alternatives to PayPal though, which may not be as thickheaded as PP.

https://ecommerce-platforms.com/arti...l-alternatives
LowDead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2018, 16:10   #28067  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrVideo View Post
You are forgetting that the user needs to supply bank account info in order to get the money from/to the PayPal account. While the old PayPal account won't be active, PayPal will keep records and will look up bank info to determine if a user is trying to play that trick.
Exactly. The money has to go somewhere. Here in the US you also have to either provide a SSN or business FEIN, if you are receiving money, so PayPal can comply with federal law.
Old 15th November 2018, 17:14   #28068  |  Link
Mark_Venture

Quote:
GTX1050 cards will work and can be had for as low as $160 for a 2GB card.

There are some deals on GTX1060 6gig cards, like BB has an EVGA GTX1060 SSC 6GB card for $280 (sale, regular price has ranged between $340-370 range). But GTX1060 3GB non-OC cards can be as low as $240 regularly.

Its still a lot, if you are otherwise not in need of upgrading, or if these cards aren't as "fast" as your current card for "day to day" work.

BUT you have to keep in mind, which you already alluded to... There is NVENC, QS and even an AMD variant if you decide to look at it... so woudln't BD-RB get more complex to manage? You'd have to build routines for each of the 3 variants, add a method for selecting the method, etc. No to mention debugging... having to be sure the user tells you if they are using NVENC, QS, AMD, or software when it fails... I mean sure you could pick one (that works with what hardware you already have) and add that first... and go from there, but still...

Is that getting beyond the scope of BD-RB?

Quote:
...I'd prefer to stick with X265, but if I can't find a solution in the near future I may be forced to dump it. Too bad. It's really good software that just seems to be incapable of outputting a UHD-BD compliant stream. I would seem to me that they would make that a priority considering the number of UHD-BDs being produced out there.
Sorry, I'm a little fuzzy on the discussions on this topic... is this only an issue for doing a UHD-BD image/copy/backup? I mean, it doesn't impact Alt-Movie Only to MKV does it?

Last edited by Mark_Venture; 15th November 2018 at 17:17.
Mark_Venture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2018, 17:15   #28069  |  Link
Ch3vr0n

Well if a 1050 works, all the better off course. Just don't recommend buying one arm, prices still way too high

Verstuurd vanaf mijn Nexus 6P met Tapatalk
Ch3vr0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2018, 17:51   #28070  |  Link
omegaman7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch3vr0n View Post
Well if a 1050 works, all the better off course. Just don't recommend buying one arm, prices still way too high

Verstuurd vanaf mijn Nexus 6P met Tapatalk
I'm with you. I was hoping the 2000 series would drive costs down. But their improvement was marginally better, unfortunately.

I'm still sporting a GTX 570 lol. I've been told a 1050 would be a fair upgrade for me. But I'm afraid it may not handle GTA V @ 4k well enough. I believe a 1070 ti would give me 2+ years of contentment. I've seen a few under $400. Strongly considering black friday purchases of a monitor, and GPU. I'm a tight wad... we'll see if something tempts me lol
Old 15th November 2018, 19:14   #28071  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_Venture View Post
Sorry, I'm a little fuzzy on the discussions on this topic... is this only an issue for doing a UHD-BD image/copy/backup? I mean, it doesn't impact Alt-Movie Only to MKV does it?
No. Alt-Movie-Only is fine. The only problem is when you try to create a UHD-BD structure and play it back on a UHD-BD player.

Interestingly, you can output to an MKV and play it back on a UHD player that supports an MKV just fine (since an MKV file doesn't have to be UHD-BD compliant). So the issue is (apparently) just getting X265 to create a compliant stream.
Old 15th November 2018, 19:17   #28072  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by omegaman7 View Post
I'm with you. I was hoping the 2000 series would drive costs down. But their improvement was marginally better, unfortunately.

I'm still sporting a GTX 570 lol. I've been told a 1050 would be a fair upgrade for me. But I'm afraid it may not handle GTA V @ 4k well enough. I believe a 1070 ti would give me 2+ years of contentment. I've seen a few under $400. Strongly considering black friday purchases of a monitor, and GPU. I'm a tight wad... we'll see if something tempts me lol
You think you're a tightwad? I'm still using a GT520 on my video computer.
Old 15th November 2018, 20:19   #28073  |  Link
Lathe

Quote:
Ah, I see... But, surely JD is rich and powerful and has numerous bank accounts, on and off-shore, that he could use...?
Old 15th November 2018, 20:30   #28074  |  Link
mparade

Is it recommended to run more instances of BD-RB when the processor utilization is too low using only one instance with x264?
mparade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2018, 23:23   #28075  |  Link
MrVideo

Quote:
Exactly. The money has to go somewhere. Here in the US you also have to either provide a SSN or business FEIN, if you are receiving money, so PayPal can comply with federal law.
Personal receipt of money does not require SSN or FEIN.
MrVideo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2018, 03:43   #28076  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by mparade View Post
Is it recommended to run more instances of BD-RB when the processor utilization is too low using only one instance with x264?
Yes, that's why that function was created... but more recent versions of X264 made that feature less useful, as they use multiple processors much more effectively. Are you running lower than 90% processor utilization?
Old 16th November 2018, 03:45   #28077  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathe View Post
Ah, I see... But, surely JD is rich and powerful and has numerous bank accounts, on and off-shore, that he could use...?
Quote:
Personal receipt of money does not require SSN or FEIN.
Given my prior experience with them, I'd rather eat dogsh-t off a hot sidewalk than ever do business with PayPal again. So there's that too.

Last edited by jdobbs; 16th November 2018 at 03:50.
jdobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2018, 04:28   #28078  |  Link
Lathe

Quote:
Given my prior experience with them, I'd rather eat dogsh-t off a hot sidewalk than ever do business with PayPal again. So there's that too.
Well then... (cough...)
Old 16th November 2018, 10:30   #28079  |  Link
mparade

Quote:
Yes, that's why that function was created... but more recent versions of X264 made that feature less useful, as they use multiple processors much more effectively. Are you running lower than 90% processor utilization?
Between 35-41% with MULTIPROCESS=2 and 57-63% with MULTIPROCESS=4 and 76-90% with MULTIPROCESS=6.
Still testing this function but seems to be more than fantastic using Ryzen Threadripper.

Last edited by mparade; 17th November 2018 at 12:26.
mparade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2018, 17:55   #28080  |  Link
AmigaFuture

There are a lot of hidden options to rerender video, to change video, but I don't see anything for changing BD menu(s) that have 4:3 set when 16:9 should be. I got a hold of a compilation BD, and the movies are fine in 16:9, if I play the .TS files (or convert them to MKV from BD-RB). MPC-HC plays them as should be. But through PDVD 12 and Player, naaaah. Every video "displays" as 4:3 until the menu. Which is 16:9. Pick a movie, and menu for it is displayed with an clip from the movie. In 4:3 with Subtitles On/Off, or back to menu...a cheap menu. Pick Play and the movie starts..in 4:3. For PDVD 12 I have to change "Keep Aspect Ratio" and select "Stretch to Fit Screen". Solved, but I'd like to not have to do that. Is there an option I haven't come across yet, or some other tool? I don't use TSMuxeR outside of BD-RB..so I'm not sure. I don't want to rerender the videos, so I suspect it's as "simple" as editing a DVD and changing a flag and saving back (DvdRemakePro) and is non-destructive to video. :-)