Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 17th February 2019, 01:29   #54781  |  Link
tp4tissue

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceB View Post
Sure there is - different creature.
I got the spectro mostly for work. Will give the pj a go once I will get my hands on the new lamp. Profiling/calibration is time consuming.
I just meant by eye, did the spectro introduce a significantly different image vs colorimeter alone.

Not talking about measurement , since it's already known that spectro will improve delta-e greatly.

Also @ Manni, perhaps you could chime in on my question as well.

Last edited by tp4tissue; 17th February 2019 at 01:31.
tp4tissue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2019, 11:34   #54782  |  Link
huhn

it depends on your end device and how far off your white point is with a colorimeter.

don'T forget this is mostly about the white point and if that white point is off doesn't matter that much as long as it is constantly off by the same margin so your eyes are fine and able fix the issue. one of the reasons you may not notice the drift.

the i1d3 drifts but not by much it also depends on how it is stored.
spectro meter drift like no one else business in comparison.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2019, 13:33   #54783  |  Link
Warner306

Quote:
Originally Posted by tp4tissue View Post
The contrast is static no ? So, whatever tone mapping we do at 100nit , it's trading crush for highlights ?
Yes, but you are rolling off the brightest information, which should be handled more gracefully. Raising the target nits slightly will change the color saturation, but then the image would be darker relative to the SDR screenshots. So you are right that there is a tradeoff.
Warner306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2019, 16:26   #54784  |  Link
alexnt

Hi can some one explain me why cpu usage is so high?
Attached Images

alexnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2019, 16:38   #54785  |  Link
madjock

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexnt View Post
Upload the image to an external image site and post a link, as it takes a while to be cleared on site.

You will need to give more information on your setup and settings as well ?
Old 17th February 2019, 16:54   #54786  |  Link
alexnt

Quote:
Originally Posted by madjock View Post
Upload the image to an external image site and post a link, as it takes a while to be cleared on site.

You will need to give more information on your setup and settings as well ?
https://postimg.cc/JstcR1SP

i5 4690k stock
r9 290 4gb stock
16gb ram
settings in madvr?
Old 17th February 2019, 17:13   #54787  |  Link
tp4tissue

Quote:
https://postimg.cc/JstcR1SP

i5 4690k stock
r9 290 4gb stock
16gb ram
settings in madvr?
that's not high cpu usage, the core is only running at 35x instead of full , so it just looks higher.

But if you enable dx11 accleration in lav filter, it may bring that down further assuming the gpu accleration works on the file you're using.

If you delid and overclock to 4.8ghz , it'll look even lower.
Keep in mind, if you run any 4k files on 64bit mpchc cpu decode, it will use an avx code path, which may require lowering memory frequency to reach 4.8ghz stable.

Last edited by tp4tissue; 17th February 2019 at 17:17.
tp4tissue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2019, 17:29   #54788  |  Link
alexnt

Quote:
that's not high cpu usage, the core is only running at 35x instead of full , so it just looks higher.

But if you enable dx11 accleration in lav filter, it may bring that down further assuming the gpu accleration works on the file you're using.

If you delid and overclock to 4.8ghz , it'll look even lower.
Keep in mind, if you run any 4k files on 64bit mpchc cpu decode, it will use an avx code path, which may require lowering memory frequency to reach 4.8ghz stable.
it goes from 35 to 38 and has some drops to around 20.
and render time is lower than I remember, it was around 18-20s.

https://postimg.cc/nXJ5cSvX
settings in lav filter

As i remember I had lower cpu usage and higher render time.
I had some time to watch a movie and yesterday when I switched to fullscreen monitor went black. It was fullscreen exclusive that had a problem(i never had it before). I use madvr for years with no problem.
So i uninstalled madvr, mpc before I figured out.
Then reinstalled and noticed those numbers.
Do you believe it ok?
Old 17th February 2019, 22:38   #54789  |  Link
KoD

Regarding the i1Pro re-certification, they measure 12 tiles or so to check if the measurement deviations are still inside a certain dE range, and do another check to see if repeated measurements of the white tile are within 0.1 dE. If it is, then that's all. If it isn't they can change the light source in the spectro with a new one. The "Certificate of Performance" is valid for only one year.

I have a request for madshi, regarding madVR: right now, madVR is able to passthrough the HDR metadata to the display. I would request to also be able to send the display the Dolby Vision metadata. This kind of metadata can now be preserved in the HEVC stream when using x265 3.0.

LG is providing mp4 video files for SDR / HDR / DolbyVision at these links, that can be used to test:
■ SDR - https://lgtca.box.com/v/SDR
■ HDR - https://lgtca.box.com/v/HDR
■ Dolby Vision - https://lgtca.box.com/v/DoVi

When using the files on a USB stick connected to one of the TV USB ports, the TV switches on HDR or DolbyVision as expected. I imagine the signaling in the video stream is all that's needed for that. PC games can also switch on Dolby Vision, so sending the metadata from a graphics card should also be possible.

As a side-note, for DolbyVision to work with Mass Effect Andromeda on the LG 65C8, the GPU needs to be configured to send RGB full range 8 bits, from my experiments. Using YcbCr will not work for enabling DolbyVision - you'll get a pink corrupted image.

These files are mentioned in the LG OLED 2019 AutoCal FAQ v2.0 pdf file that Ted posted on avsforum, as a way for users to make the TV switch in HDR or DV mode in order to be able to perform display calibration of those modes.
KoD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2019, 00:49   #54790  |  Link
tp4tissue

Quote:
it goes from 35 to 38 and has some drops to around 20.
and render time is lower than I remember, it was around 18-20s.

settings in lav filter

As i remember I had lower cpu usage and higher render time.
I had some time to watch a movie and yesterday when I switched to fullscreen monitor went black. It was fullscreen exclusive that had a problem(i never had it before). I use madvr for years with no problem.
So i uninstalled madvr, mpc before I figured out.
Then reinstalled and noticed those numbers.
Do you believe it ok?

I don't know what you saw before/after.

if the dxva says inactive "While the movie" is playing. That means the gpu acceleration is not compatible with the file you're trying to play.

-In which case- it will default to CPU decoding. Different files have different compatibility.

But overall, it does not look high to me.

Again, you have other options, such as overclocking, if you need more oomph for hard to decode files. (not this one obviously)
Old 18th February 2019, 01:07   #54791  |  Link
el Filou

Quote:
settings in lav filter
Check those LAV settings while playing a movie that gives high CPU load, and see which decoder is active. If it's avcodec then hardware decoding isn't active and that could explain it.
With hardware acceleration, CPU usage should be very low, definitely much lower than 66% @ 3,5 GHz
(Edit: do you have stuff like black bar detection enabled in madVR? That can use up some CPU, but I don't know how much exactly)

Last edited by el Filou; 18th February 2019 at 01:16.
el Filou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2019, 06:39   #54792  |  Link
70MM
X Cinema Projectionist NZ

Does "dont render frames during fade in and fade out" do anything like add artifacts to the image?
If one doesnt need to use it if their rendering stats are low is it better to untick it?
70MM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2019, 07:55   #54793  |  Link
huhn

do you mean "don't rerender frames when fade in/out is detected"?

that's for debanding only and an special check for fades to use higher banding in these situation because they are proven to have more debanding.

so it does nothing without debanding and may only drop frames when the GPU can't rerender the frames fast enough i never tested it but it shouldn't do anything when deband strength is the same for both settings.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2019, 08:57   #54794  |  Link
white1

Hello guys,
I would like to add madVR to DVBDream 2.2 because it's not available in the Video Renderer list, can I do it?
white1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2019, 12:29   #54795  |  Link
madjock

Quote:
Originally Posted by white1 View Post
Hello guys,
I would like to add madVR to DVBDream 2.2 because it's not available in the Video Renderer list, can I do it?
From a quick Google that app is at version 3.4 now, but surely this is a question for the DVB Dream forum ?

https://www.dvbdream.org/
Old 18th February 2019, 15:31   #54796  |  Link
tp4tissue

Guys, is there a way to upscale render the whole movie through madvr, THEN watch it ?

Could this possibly be a future feature, because it would allow for some super-demanding settings to be played on MUCH lower powered hardware.
Old 18th February 2019, 16:25   #54797  |  Link
madjock

Quote:
Guys, is there a way to upscale render the whole movie through madvr, THEN watch it ?

Could this possibly be a future feature, because it would allow for some super-demanding settings to be played on MUCH lower powered hardware.
So if we forget that this is not possible at all, how would you re-encode a whole movie with "super-demanding settings to be played on MUCH lower powered hardware"

If you don't have the hardware to play a file, what is going to re-encode it.
Old 18th February 2019, 16:29   #54798  |  Link
clsid

A two hour 10bit 60 fps UHD movie would require 6.8 terabyte of storage space in uncompressed format. With lossless compression approximately a quarter of that. So still a very large amount of space.

Apart from the above, what you want is not possible yet.
clsid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2019, 17:25   #54799  |  Link
Alexkral

Quote:
you're upscaling 4k to 8k ngu then downscaling to 4k ? < you shouldn't do this >
For 1920 x 2160 to 4k what do you think is better?

- Doubling and then downscaling the height.
- Just upscaling the width.
Alexkral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2019, 17:27   #54800  |  Link
Klaus1189

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexkral View Post
[...]1920 x 2160[...]
1080??
Klaus1189 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling