Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 19th February 2019, 17:07   #54841  |  Link
madjock

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexnt View Post
Does any one use madvr with amd?? If so what is the usage of cpu and gpu(in tools like core temp and gpuz, not in task manager). I believe that cpu takes an amount of load from the gpu in decoding and so multiplier never goes under x35. Gpu has an amount of load but not that much as I remember some time ago. Gpu clock is aroung 500mhz and cpu 3500 when playing a movie. I believe this is weird.
Does playing a video without madVR not do the same thing ?

Your Core Temp is a little out of date ?

You -> Version 1.0 RC8 - 21st February, 2016
Now - Version 1.13 - 8th January, 2019

You also had Opera/Firefox and Skype open in the screenshot, my multiplier is up at 38x and I have nothing open, its the load more than the multiplier as I am on High Performance so I would assume the CPU will kick in quicker. but I do not think all the load you showed was from madVR. It does not share loads anyway, if the GPU is selected it will do all the work.

Task Manager will show you where the load is going.

Last edited by madjock; 19th February 2019 at 17:24.
madjock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2019, 19:27   #54842  |  Link
el Filou

Calibration test patterns are not the ideal tool to test the differences between upscalers tbh.
Is that black level difference between Jinc and NGU visible in real scenes?

Edit: regarding that new LCD tech, I'll believe it when I see it in mass production at affordable prices. The liquid crystals in the subpixels are already a light modulation layer, so what are they doing here? Adding another layer of liquid crystals on top? Or is it another tech? If it's another tech, why don't they just replace the existing liquid crystals in the subpixels with that new tech?
That just sounds like throwing brute force at a problem and it risks making LCD's other problems (off-axis viewing, response time) worse. It also could end up consuming more power than OLED which would be funny. I think this tech is bound to be limited to professional displays like medical and studio mastering.

Last edited by el Filou; 19th February 2019 at 19:38.
el Filou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2019, 20:59   #54843  |  Link
tp4tissue

Quote:
Originally Posted by el Filou View Post
Calibration test patterns are not the ideal tool to test the differences between upscalers tbh.
Is that black level difference between Jinc and NGU visible in real scenes?

Edit: regarding that new LCD tech, I'll believe it when I see it in mass production at affordable prices. The liquid crystals in the subpixels are already a light modulation layer, so what are they doing here? Adding another layer of liquid crystals on top? Or is it another tech? If it's another tech, why don't they just replace the existing liquid crystals in the subpixels with that new tech?
That just sounds like throwing brute force at a problem and it risks making LCD's other problems (off-axis viewing, response time) worse. It also could end up consuming more power than OLED which would be funny. I think this tech is bound to be limited to professional displays like medical and studio mastering.
That's exactly what it is, it's a non color layer beneath the top color layer.

That's why it's NOT new tech, and why it can be implemented rapidly.

Using existing tech.

Not limited to medical/studio, it's already been demoed at ces.
Old 19th February 2019, 21:12   #54844  |  Link
alexnt

Quote:
Originally Posted by madjock View Post
Does playing a video without madVR not do the same thing ?

Your Core Temp is a little out of date ?

You -> Version 1.0 RC8 - 21st February, 2016
Now - Version 1.13 - 8th January, 2019

You also had Opera/Firefox and Skype open in the screenshot, my multiplier is up at 38x and I have nothing open, its the load more than the multiplier as I am on High Performance so I would assume the CPU will kick in quicker. but I do not think all the load you showed was from madVR. It does not share loads anyway, if the GPU is selected it will do all the work.

Task Manager will show you where the load is going.
I forgot to mention that my brother's rig with a 4670k(stock) and 660ti and similar madvr settings has not the same issue. Gpu clock stays over 1000mhz and multi goes down to x12.

You can have a look at the video
https://www.dropbox.com/s/5uhhtk2zl0...91407.mp4?dl=0

Browsers are closed and skype too.
Gpu clock goes over 900mhz when movie starts and then falls.
The freezing is due to fullscreen exclusive. I never had this issue in the past but this is not a problem, I turn the option off.
As you can see cpu is around 30% in task manager but in coretemp it reaches 60-70-80% sometimes(this dowsn't show in this video) and gpu clock is not raising when mpc window gets bigger or even fullscreen.

Sorry for the video, it needs rotation.

https://postimg.cc/Js7C5n6c (noticed 2 instances of madvr?)

https://postimg.cc/vDdY6QsX (downloaded hevc 265 sample - lock cpu and gpu clocks)

https://postimg.cc/VrP8MF35 (same video as above 81% on core2 ??? madvr is gpu render)

Last edited by alexnt; 19th February 2019 at 21:43.
alexnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2019, 21:51   #54845  |  Link
madjock

Quote:
I forgot to mention that my brother's rig with a 4670k(stock) and 660ti and similar madvr settings has not the same issue. Gpu clock stays over 1000mhz and multi goes down to x12.

The freezing is due to fullscreen exclusive. I never had this issue in the past but this is not a problem, I turn the option off.
As you can see cpu is around 30% in task manager but in coretemp it reaches 60-70-80% sometimes(this dowsn't show in this video) and gpu clock is not raising when mpc window gets bigger or even fullscreen.

https://postimg.cc/vDdY6QsX (downloaded hevc 265 sample - lock cpu and gpu clocks)

https://postimg.cc/VrP8MF35 (same video as above 81% on core2 ??? madvr is gpu render)
Something strange with your setup, when I run a video in MPC-BE (maybe try that instead of HC), I dont even see a madVR in task manager.

Post a picture of your LAV Video settings as well please.
Old 19th February 2019, 22:04   #54846  |  Link
ashlar42

Quote:
Originally Posted by tp4tissue View Post
Not limited to medical/studio, it's already been demoed at ces.
As far as I understand, this is available in a couple of professional monitors at $20,000+ in smaller than 40" sizes.
As for "it's been demoed at CES", CLEDIS was demoed at CES and it went nowhere. There's serious hurdles to overcome to get to mass market in consumer sizes. But again: I wish you are right and we'll be able to buy perfect TVs in a couple of years.
ashlar42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2019, 22:12   #54847  |  Link
alexnt

Quote:
Something strange with your setup, when I run a video in MPC-BE (maybe try that instead of HC), I dont even see a madVR in task manager.

Post a picture of your LAV Video settings as well please.
https://postimg.cc/DWS2T0Kd

the 2nd instance in task manager is when fullxscreen an back to window

same with mpc be

Last edited by alexnt; 19th February 2019 at 22:20.
Old 19th February 2019, 22:59   #54848  |  Link
tp4tissue

Guys, I have a question about -Different LUTs-

If I want to use a gamma 2.4 (SDR) lut only for SDR material

and a gamma 2.2 lut for the (HDR -> SDR) material. <as recommended>

Is the only thing I have to do is put the gamma 2.4 (SDR) lut in the Rec709 lut box

and then put the gamma 2.2 (SDR) lut in the Rec2020 lut box

Right now, both my luts 2.2 and 2.4 were generated with source colorspace as rec709.

Does that work, or do I have to create a different gamma 2.2 lut with rec2020 as source colorspace in Dispcal.. ?

Do I need the following setting vv image below.

https://imgur.com/a/Vv7tLxy

Last edited by tp4tissue; 19th February 2019 at 23:02.
tp4tissue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2019, 23:07   #54849  |  Link
huhn

you can load different LUT using profiles.
huhn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2019, 23:09   #54850  |  Link
tp4tissue

Quote:

I don't understand why you think something may be going wrong.

Whatever is happening isn't some trick that's eating your CPU cycles for no reason. However many CPU cycles is taken, that's the correct amount necessary to do what you've asked the computer to do.

There is no process virus here stealing CPU cycles.

Different videos, Different SEGMENT of the SAME VIDEO, different CPUs, different Graphics cards will ALL TOGETHER, exhibit Different quantities of processing consumption, You're not comparing apples to apples.

Between fullscreen and windowed, full screen scales luma through ngu, windowed does not.

As for GPU clock Not going up higher, I don't think it needs to, because that is a very low bitrate file and you're not upscaling it by very much.

For the CPU load change, Check your cpu in HWmonitor, I'm not sure, but see if all cores are clocked to the same frequency, maybe on the windowed smaller screen mode, some cores are clocked lower, so it represents higher % of utilization during that moment.

Last edited by tp4tissue; 19th February 2019 at 23:38.
tp4tissue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2019, 23:10   #54851  |  Link
tp4tissue

Quote:
Originally Posted by huhn View Post
you can load different LUT using profiles.
I understand that, but what I mean is , if I am using HDR->SDR Shader, outputing SDR.

Does my Lut have to be created differently , as in the setting photo in my previous post. by setting the source colorspace to rec2020,

OR does madvr shader output HDR->SDR in Rec709
Old 19th February 2019, 23:18   #54852  |  Link
huhn

no it doesn't this selection only depends on your screens settings.

if your screen only runs in bt 709 mode no point in making a bigger 3D LUT.
Old 19th February 2019, 23:34   #54853  |  Link
tp4tissue

Quote:
no it doesn't this selection only depends on your screens settings.

if your screen only runs in bt 709 mode no point in making a bigger 3D LUT.
Well the screen is ever so slightly wider than 709.

My question is whether all the lut in the calibration tab are treated the same way, and indifferent to source colorspace ?
Old 19th February 2019, 23:48   #54854  |  Link
madjock

Quote:
I don't understand why you think something may be going wrong.

Whatever is happening isn't some trick that's eating your CPU cycles for no reason. However many CPU cycles is taken, that's the correct amount necessary to do what you've asked the computer to do.

There is no process virus here stealing CPU cycles.

Different videos, Different SEGMENT of the SAME VIDEO, different CPUs, different Graphics cards will ALL TOGETHER, exhibit Different quantities of processing consumption, You're not comparing apples to apples.

Between fullscreen and windowed, full screen scales luma through ngu, windowed does not.

As for GPU clock Not going up higher, I don't think it needs to, because that is a very low bitrate file and you're not upscaling it by very much.

For the CPU load change, Check your cpu in HWmonitor, I'm not sure, but see if all cores are clocked to the same frequency, maybe on the windowed smaller screen mode, some cores are clocked lower, so it represents higher % of utilization during that moment.
I don't think its that simple, there is something not setup right or something else. When I run MPC-BE I see one instance running and under that whatever video that is playing in task manager.

His picture shows MPC-HC and two instances of madVR for some reason.

https://postimg.cc/Js7C5n6c

EDIT : Ah the only way I could see madVR in task manager was to have the settings open and be playing a video, unsure how you can have two instances of that, but try closing down the settings as that may be eating up CPU cycles with a video playing ?

I also don't see madVR running on the screen though, so just set fire to the computer.

Last edited by madjock; 19th February 2019 at 23:58.
Old 20th February 2019, 00:02   #54855  |  Link
janos666

Quote:
But this tech vastly surpasses OLED's capabilities, because it will EVENTUALLY allow for Backlight blink motion blur reduction. (ULMB)
I don't see how. The OLED still wins in contrast ratio (1000/1000000=0.001 is roughly what you got from a fresh new or tweaked 9G Poneer Kuro, which is excellent but the OLED black is still noticably darker) and the peak white is roughly the same as well (well, yeah, the LG OLED cheats with the W sub-pixel but they have a few years to improve, the top-emission panels might reach almost 1000 nit with RGB - especially if they drop the W pixel and increase the RGB sizes). The LG panels will run at 240Hz this year which means 25% duty cycle is now possible (although I am not sure how usable because ABL already starts kicking in around 80 nit on fullscreen 100% white screen if you compensate for the 50/50% BFI with the OLED Light control and HDR is always cut to 50% light output with BFI - but pretty much the same applies to the LCD in HDR and roughly the same in SDR). And then the viewing angle distortion of LCD remains (well, of course the OLED burn-in remains there as well).
janos666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2019, 00:04   #54856  |  Link
huhn

Quote:
Well the screen is ever so slightly wider than 709.

My question is whether all the lut in the calibration tab are treated the same way, and indifferent to source colorspace ?
the source colorspace is supposed to match madVR settings. it has to how else should this ever work. just giving madVR a BT 2020 3D LUt and load it as b 709 what'S the point of this?

i mean you are doing this calibration stuff for a while know. just try to think why an option is even there.

Quote:
OR does madvr shader output HDR->SDR in Rec709
i'm simply at a lost of word when i read this. why should it even support BT 2020 3D LUT way before HDR was a spec.

just take a step back and think.

if your screen has a meaningfully bigger colorsavce then BT 709 add a DCI P3 3D LUT. madVR will do the rest this option to load aDCI P3 3D LUT is not for fun in there and a DCI P3 3D LUT is defined by the source colorspace.
Old 20th February 2019, 00:12   #54857  |  Link
tp4tissue

Quote:
I don't think its that simple, there is something not setup right or something else. When I run MPC-BE I see one instance running and under that whatever video that is playing in task manager.

His picture shows MPC-HC and two instances of madVR for some reason.

https://postimg.cc/Js7C5n6c

EDIT : Ah the only way I could see madVR in task manager was to have the settings open and be playing a video, unsure how you can have two instances of that, but try closing down the settings as that may be eating up CPU cycles with a video playing ?

I also don't see madVR running on the screen though, so just set fire to the computer.
mine shows 3 processes too.
Old 20th February 2019, 00:17   #54858  |  Link
tp4tissue

Quote:
the source colorspace is supposed to match madVR settings. it has to how else should this ever work. just giving madVR a BT 2020 3D LUt and load it as b 709 what'S the point of this?

i mean you are doing this calibration stuff for a while know. just try to think why an option is even there.

i'm simply at a lost of word when i read this. why should it even support BT 2020 3D LUT way before HDR was a spec.

just take a step back and think.

if your screen has a meaningfully bigger colorsavce then BT 709 add a DCI P3 3D LUT. madVR will do the rest this option to load aDCI P3 3D LUT is not for fun in there and a DCI P3 3D LUT is defined by the source colorspace.

You're assuming too many things

The madvr calibration boxes has one for rec2020 and one for rec 709.

The dispcal lut output has a source colorspace box for rec2020 and rec709.

I can't assume what madvr may require a different setting from dispcal when using the different boxes.

So , THAT'S WHY I ASK, does madvr expect a different generation setting for a lut put into those different boxes.

This is perfectly reasonable on my end.
Old 20th February 2019, 12:28   #54859  |  Link
alexnt

I uninstalled both mpc hc & be last night and madvr, too.
I also deleted madvr's folder, rebooted and then I run a registry cleaning. I also deleted mpc's folder left in program files.

I reinstalled mpc and downloaded another(older version 91.4) of madvr and extracted the folder in another drive(c: - had it on d: ).

When I started playing a movie and opened madvr settings I noticed that my settings where there(all of them, even the hd profiles in scaling) but madvr folder didn't have "settings.bin" when I extected it. As I understand it retrieves previous settings and maybe that is the problem. Is there in other location that madvr creates folders and profiles, so if I clean them will solve the problem.

I don't believe what is happening is normal. I said before that there is not such issue with my brothers rig with 4670k and 660ti.
Gpu does all the rendering and so cpu drops clocks.
I have a 4690k and r9 290 and I know(because I have seen it) that madvr did't behave with the same way in the past.
Old 20th February 2019, 12:34   #54860  |  Link
madjock

Quote:
I uninstalled both mpc hc & be last night and madvr, too.
I also deleted madvr's folder, rebooted and then I run a registry cleaning. I also deleted mpc's folder left in program files.

I reinstalled mpc and downloaded another(older version 91.4) of madvr and extracted the folder in another drive(c: - had it on d: ).

When I started playing a movie and opened madvr settings I noticed that my settings where there(all of them, even the hd profiles in scaling) but madvr folder didn't have "settings.bin" when I extected it. As I understand it retrieves previous settings and maybe that is the problem. Is there in other location that madvr creates folders and profiles, so if I clean them will solve the problem.

I don't believe what is happening is normal. I said before that there is not such issue with my brothers rig with 4670k and 660ti.
Gpu does all the rendering and so cpu drops clocks.
I have a 4690k and r9 290 and I know(because I have seen it) that madvr did't behave with the same way in the past.
There is a registry entry but cant remember off the top of my head, but restore default settings will take it all back to default which is in the same folder.

Have you tried using MPC-HCs default renderer before madVR to see if the CPU spikes, as it maybe due to MPC rather than madVR ?

EDIT : https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.p...50#post1842150

Last edited by madjock; 20th February 2019 at 12:36.

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling