Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 10th March 2019, 22:40   #55261  |  Link
border.community

Anybody have thoughts on why mpc-hc is freezing during 4k HDR 24p playback? Some movies i can get through no problems but others it can crash every 20 minutes or so. I thought 1050ti was good enough so trying to rule out the card as the problem---otherwise was thinking need to go 1060 or higher.

-1050ti 4gb
-HDR passthrough
-NGU AA med
-D3D11 FSE
-all trade quality for performance unchecked
-smooth motion off
-gpu/cpu queue size 12
-presenting 8 frames in advance
-nothing under "processing" folder turned on
-win10
-ryzen 5
border.community is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2019, 22:54   #55262  |  Link
brazen1

It means sometimes alternate advice works too. Instead of using a player like MPC and entering refresh rates in its settings, use madVR exclusively and turn it off elsewhere for madVR player(s) used.

I have a native 2160p display I use for everything including 1080p 3D. Far too many times I see users suggesting to use players to control resolution switching instead of madVR. This is usually to work around other problems and in turn create even more problems except the one at hand. Furthermore, less experienced users don't match refresh rates at all and then we read complaints about judder. How many times have you seen an OSD screenshot playing 23.976 video and rendering at 60Hz with a 120Hz or higher display? Still others suggest to enter all the refresh rates a display handles instead of just the native highest which creates even more problems. For example, entering a bunch of 1080 resolutions when you are scaling everything to 2160 in the first place.

Thus my statement you clipped a bit "Match refresh rates using madVR for all resolutions in 2160p only".
This because the OP has a native 2160p display and I suggested to let madVR do all the scaling since it's been foolproof for me for years using a lot of diverse sources.
In that case I use these and only these and only entered in madVR for its comparable players aka "Match refresh rates using madVR". I have never run into a problem and again with lots of diverse titles.
2160p23, 2160p24, 2160p25, 2160p30, 2160p50, 2160p59, 2160p60 aka "all resolutions in 2160p only".

Now if your display is not native 2160p unlike mine and the OP's which are, I suppose you would use a completely different set of resolution values and begin working around your true problem. Same goes if you have 3D problems that require 1080p values or HDMI 2.0 vs 1.4 junk capability devices and so on. Fwiw, I also suggest 'whitelisting' these and only these values in Kodi for the times you use its internal VideoPlayer instead of a madVR player since madVR will NOT be controlling the internal player since it is not a madVR related player. If I'm not mistaken, only Kodi v.18 offers these values allowing casual use converting HDR to SDR be possible without side affects such as postage stamping.

Last edited by brazen1; 10th March 2019 at 23:13.
brazen1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2019, 23:04   #55263  |  Link
ryrynz

Quote:
Originally Posted by border.community View Post
Anybody have thoughts on why mpc-hc is freezing during 4k HDR 24p playback? Some movies i can get through no problems but others it can crash every 20 minutes or so.
Ain't anything to do with madVR or mpc-hc or even the content itself.. You have a system issue. Test all hardware and revert to your last known good backup.
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2019, 23:05   #55264  |  Link
brazen1

Border.community, you're learning that what may be 'good enough' for one title doesn't exactly translate for another. Find the hardest title you have to play and lower your settings until it works. I use the Sony camp video at 60fps. 2nd hardest for me is The Hunger Games at 23.976. I can play this one perfectly for about 5 minutes and then it starts dropping frames the queue can't keep with. So, I lowered my aggressive settings that work fine with other titles 100% of the time and now this one is accommodated too. Granted I could tailor settings for every movie but who wants to that? If anything the easy to play titles are now even more relaxed and when a hard to decode and render is selected, it's possible.

On a side note, Green Book will be released in a couple days. I think you will find it the best upscaled 4k movie to date for its video properties. Right there, if not exceeding, Planet Earth II. Probably the cameras. And with madVR chroma...

Last edited by brazen1; 10th March 2019 at 23:23.
brazen1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2019, 00:30   #55265  |  Link
border.community

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryrynz View Post
Ain't anything to do with madVR or mpc-hc or even the content itself.. You have a system issue. Test all hardware and revert to your last known good backup.

You mean something with Windows or nvidia drivers? That wouldn't surprise me, yet brazen1 thinks the settings are too high which gets me second guessing whether 1050ti is good enough. And for reference, Blade Runner 2049 didn't have a hiccup, but Planet Earth II usually crashed a few times.

Think my best bet is a clean install and see how it does.

Last edited by border.community; 11th March 2019 at 00:33.
Old 11th March 2019, 00:41   #55266  |  Link
tp4tissue

Quote:
You mean something with Windows or nvidia drivers? That wouldn't surprise me, yet brazen1 thinks the settings are too high which gets me second guessing whether 1050ti is good enough. And for reference, Blade Runner 2049 didn't have a hiccup, but Planet Earth II usually crashed a few times.

Think my best bet is a clean install and see how it does.
Are you using CPU decode or GPU dxva copyback.

Do you have CPU or Gpu overclock enabled.
Old 11th March 2019, 00:54   #55267  |  Link
border.community

Quote:
Originally Posted by tp4tissue View Post
Are you using CPU decode or GPU dxva copyback.

Do you have CPU or Gpu overclock enabled.

Using D3D11 hardware decoder if that's what you mean.

Overclocking the 1050ti, yes---it's the SC version.

Ryzen OC'd to 3.7 GHz.

Last edited by border.community; 11th March 2019 at 00:58.
Old 11th March 2019, 02:23   #55268  |  Link
ryrynz

Set clocks back to defaults before reinstalling. Highly recommend a system restore before blitzing an entire OS.
Old 11th March 2019, 02:28   #55269  |  Link
border.community

Quote:
Set clocks back to defaults before reinstalling. Highly recommend a system restore before blitzing an entire OS.

I will unclock and report back.

As far as system restore, Planet Earth II was the second thing I ran on madvr and the freezes happened immediately, so not like I have a steady state to revert back to.
Old 11th March 2019, 04:15   #55270  |  Link
tp4tissue

Quote:
I will unclock and report back.

As far as system restore, Planet Earth II was the second thing I ran on madvr and the freezes happened immediately, so not like I have a steady state to revert back to.
If it still crashes at Stock clocks, (assuming it's not software related), then that means the motherboard default detected settings are unstable.

USUALLY, it's the memory subtimings which are detected wrong, this is common to ryzen boards, since they're still fairly new.

Try lowering the memory clock to the next step below labeled speed + 0.1v to default and test again.

If everything is still crashing when cpu+gpu are at stock, and mem is at _reduced clock_.

THEN it's likely software.

You don't need to reformat, just plug in another disk (hdd or ssd), install a whole new windows 10.. just install madvr and the video drivers, if it crashes, then we're back to hardwrae.

Don't format your current disk, because if it's not the software, then you can save time and just plug it back in.

Last edited by tp4tissue; 11th March 2019 at 04:17.
tp4tissue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2019, 05:56   #55271  |  Link
TheProfosist

I have gotten the stutter to stop but I had to default the settings for madVR which I was trying to avoid since I had spent some time getting my setting optimized and groups and shortcuts setup for my remote.

Now I need to rebuild my settings option by option and monitor for issues. @tp4tissue seemes like you have the settings for your 1060 nailed down think you could send some screenshots over or something just so I can see how yours compares to what I had?

Quote:
Originally Posted by madjock View Post
I read somewhere about a Windows 10 update that was affecting games and maybe video, did you just update ? change drivers etc...

The way you explain it is as if something has changed recently ?

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/new...ring-in-games/
Nah its been since I have moved to Win10. I also did a clean install not an upgrade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brazen1 View Post
Use D3D11 auto/native in LAV Filter.
Turn off SM in madVR.
Match refresh rates using madVR for all resolutions in 2160p only.
Add 2 blank folders to madVR install directory named ShowHdrMode and ShowRenderSteps.
Link a screen shot of your OSD.

Slow pans should be butter smooth with absolutely no hitches in the giddy up at all. No judder, no blur, no dropped/repeated frames. Nothing but bliss no matter the resolution. Opening scene of Cowboys and Aliens or opening credits of The Wrestler are my go to test subjects.

If I may ask why D3D11 in lavvideo not cuvid?

Also why no smooth motion? Comes in handy when there an odd framrate or something. Not a huge deal when on the HTPC with a TV since it has 23,25,29,50,59 but with the correct setting it won't activate unless needed

Also what are the folders for/what do they do?

and yes it should be butter smooth and not stutter at all this is the experience I have had and did up until my recent clean install to Win10 and upgrades.

Quote:
Sounds like an OS/Driver issue. You should revert to your last good backup/System Restore point.
This is on a clean install with latest driver and build of Win10 so I could properly make use of the new hardware and software features.

I did carry over my madVR folder though in hopes that I wouldn't have to reconfigure it.
TheProfosist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2019, 06:00   #55272  |  Link
ryrynz

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheProfosist View Post

I did carry over my madVR folder though in hopes that I wouldn't have to reconfigure it.
Keep a copy of that folder but do test madvr set with defaults also.
Old 11th March 2019, 10:52   #55273  |  Link
madjock

Quote:
Anybody have thoughts on why mpc-hc is freezing during 4k HDR 24p playback? Some movies i can get through no problems but others it can crash every 20 minutes or so. I thought 1050ti was good enough so trying to rule out the card as the problem---otherwise was thinking need to go 1060 or higher.

-1050ti 4gb
-HDR passthrough
-NGU AA med
-D3D11 FSE
-all trade quality for performance unchecked
-smooth motion off
-gpu/cpu queue size 12
-presenting 8 frames in advance
-nothing under "processing" folder turned on
-win10
-ryzen 5
I recently upgraded from a 1050 myself, but I found bringing the Q sizes down made it more stable for frame drops and the likes, but I never had crashes, this does sound more hardware orientated with overclocking as has been said. Something like 8/4/4 helped, I do have to say though upgrading to a used 1070 has changed everything, I am finding I am putting everything on high just to push it, having 8GB instead of 2GB onboard memory makes all the difference as well in my case.

Last edited by madjock; 11th March 2019 at 10:56.
madjock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2019, 15:57   #55274  |  Link
Siso
Soul Seeker

Do you guys use anti-bloating filter (100%) with downscaling SSIM 1D 100%?
Siso is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2019, 15:59   #55275  |  Link
el Filou

Crashes always indicate system instability. A system that cannot keep up with madVR just drops frames but should not crash.
Also, a system that plays smooth at the beginning of a movie for a few minutes but starts dropping frames later is not because madVR settings are too high but because system components are thermal throttling or not keeping up with buffering (problems with storage/network).
Old 11th March 2019, 21:51   #55276  |  Link
zaemon

Hello,

So I just finished to setup my new rig and I'm really struggling to get back madVR playback to what it was before. I went from a GTX 1080 to an RTX 2080 Ti and from an i5 6400 to an i9 9900k. With the new rig I'm getting stuttering in full screen in every configuration I could think of. I basically tried everything. From the decoder to the renderer to the OS. In every configuration I got excellent to decent average render times (10 ms). The problem is the max render time which is very high (usually above 60 ms). I could be wrong but with the old rig I don't think I ever experienced such bad max render times. What is weird is that I have no dropped frames. I'm kinda limited with drivers because RTX is not supported with old drivers. I tried to install the one I think I was using before but it cannot be done.

It would be great if you had any kind of idea. 1080p playback is barely okay but UHD playback is just not watchable at the moment. In the past everything was running smooth with 3D LUT, HDR tone mapping and even some upscaling/zoom control. Something's really off but aside from the max render times, all looks good to me.

Thanks.
zaemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2019, 22:21   #55277  |  Link
tp4tissue

Try older drivers first.
Old 11th March 2019, 22:30   #55278  |  Link
tp4tissue

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheProfosist View Post
Now I need to rebuild my settings option by option and monitor for issues. @tp4tissue seemes like you have the settings for your 1060 nailed down think you could send some screenshots over or something just so I can see how yours compares to what I had?
There's nothing to screen shot

The settings in my previous post is on the latest test build with the new HDR tweaks which are (more heavy, by 5-9ms) than the 92.17 official release.

They're set for 24p material, output to 4K TV, 24 cpu queue, 16 gpu

I tweaked each of the settings up until avg rendertime reach ~30-37ms/

(this is purposeful) such that it will not skip frames.

If the average was pushed closer to 41, then the peaks much greater than 41 may cause dropped frames.

This is a 6gb evga 1060 ftw+, 2.1ghz core 9ghz vram

Last edited by tp4tissue; 11th March 2019 at 22:33.
tp4tissue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2019, 22:32   #55279  |  Link
Nicog

Quote:
Originally Posted by tp4tissue View Post
Try older drivers first.
Hi Everyone,

I have exactly same issue. What driver number do you suggest?

My config : I7 7700 + RTX2070, last Windows, last MadVR, last Nvidia drivers.

I tried also almost everything. Sometimes FSE works, sometimes not (I don't know why!)

The stangest thing is that if, with the mouse, I show the seek bar, or show contextual menu (right clic), no sluttering at all !!!
Nicog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2019, 22:36   #55280  |  Link
tp4tissue

Weird issue, enabling BBD on latest test build causes significant performance loss on 4K HDR remuxes. Without BBD it runs fine.

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling