Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > New and alternative a/v containers

Old 27th August 2019, 17:40   #441  |  Link
manolito

Maybe my workaround package from this link is for you:
https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.p...31#post1881431

Maybe you can even help me to make it more "universal", that means working under more local Windows versions.

When you mix an older MKVToolnix GUI with newer CLI versions, Toolnix will pop up a warning. My package clicks aways this warning, but for this to work it needs a substring which is part of the warning window title. I started with "Problem" as the substring to look for, but I later changed it to "robl" because the "P" can be lowercase or uppercase depending on the language, and the "e" character is different in French (it has an accent grave).

You did not say where you come from, can you test it and tell me what the window title of this warning message is for you?

Cheers
manolito
manolito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2019, 16:20   #442  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraokeAmerica View Post
I just installed this on a Pi4 running Raspbian. It runs, but the version is 31.

Is that the best it gets for the Pi platform?
There's no limit to ARM that I know of. However, I don't provide packages for the ARM architecture as I don't use it myself. Therefore all you get is the package provided by Raspbian (= Debian) itself, and that's v31 for "buster".

Feel free to compile the package yourself. I cannot tell you if a Pi4 has enough resources for that, though.

If I ever ask you to upload something, please use my file server.
Mosu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2019, 17:46   #443  |  Link
ChaosKing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosu View Post
There's no limit to ARM that I know of. However, I don't provide packages for the ARM architecture as I don't use it myself. Therefore all you get is the package provided by Raspbian (= Debian) itself, and that's v31 for "buster".

Feel free to compile the package yourself. I cannot tell you if a Pi4 has enough resources for that, though.
I think flatpak has also arm support. They have at least the newest version on their page. https://flathub.org/apps/details/org...mkvtoolnix-gui

https://flatpak.org/setup/Raspbian/
Old 29th August 2019, 21:15   #444  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

Oh right, the Flatpak! I totally forgot about that. Thanks for thinking of it.

Old 3rd September 2019, 23:11   #445  |  Link
Inviska

Would it be okay to bundle the MKVToolNix command line tools in my Inviska MKV Extract AppImage?

It seems more people are using the MKVToolNix Snap and AppImage, which Inviska MKV Extract won't work with. After being contacted a few times asking how to get it working, I started to think it would be better to include the MKVToolNix command line tools in my AppImage, but I didn't know if this would be okay with you.

Would you have any problems with me bundling the MKVToolNix command line tools in my AppImage?

Edit: I just released a new version with the MKVToolNix command-land tools bundled in the AppImage. If this is a problem I can delete it and do another release without the tools included.

Last edited by Inviska; 9th September 2019 at 19:16.
Inviska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2019, 21:01   #446  |  Link
rmlazzari

Hello, first I apologize if this is not the right place to post beginner questions. If not, please indicate the right place.

But if my question can be answered in this topic, here it goes:

For many years I have been using MKVToolNix-gui under Windows. I also used a gui to extract .MKV files. The interface for extract, if I'm not mistaken, was not installed. I just copied .DLL and .EXE files to the same folder where MKVToolNix-gui had installed itself and created a link to .EXE on the desktop. Even so, I never clicked on the extract. I directly clicked on the .MKV file and from the context menu chose to open it with the extract.

But now I'm using Linux Mint.

I am new to Linux although I worked from 1978 until a few years ago as a COBOL mainframe computer programmer (IBM / 370, 4341 etc.). That is, all my knowledge today is obsolete, maybe useless, but maybe I can recognize a command line, for example.

Well, using the Linux Mint Application Manager (19.2), I found MKVToolNix-gui, installed it and it is working fine. But I don't know how to update it or how to install the gui for MKVExtract (or something).

I read the page at "https://mkvtoolnix.download/downloads.html#ubuntu", copied and pasted the following lines into Terminal:

1 - wget -q -O - https://mkvtoolnix.download/gpg-pub-moritzbunkus.txt | sudo apt-key add -

2 - /etc/apt/sources.list.d/mkvtoolnix.download.list

3 - deb https://mkvtoolnix.download/ubuntu/ bionic main

4 - deb-src https://mkvtoolnix.download/ubuntu/ bionic main

Only the first line worked but the others... I have the impression that "wget" is a command, that the second line is a file but I don't know what the third and fourth line are.

Anyway, to avoid bothering you, I would like you to help me upgrade MKVToolNix-gui (installed version is 19 but the program asks me to upgrade to 37) and install gMKVExtract (I think it was This is the program but I may be wrong).

As I said before, I apologize for the difficulty and although I want to know at least the basics of Linux, in this message, if you can help me just install and update the MKV programs I would be very grateful.
rmlazzari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2019, 01:07   #447  |  Link
qyot27
...?

On Ubuntu (presumably any Debian variant, but I dunno for sure), after running the wget piping command, do
Code:
sudo add-apt-repository "deb https://mkvtoolnix.download/ubuntu/ bionic main"
(or swap 'bionic' for the corresponding one Mint should be using, or just the latest one in general - if that version of Mint was based on Ubuntu 19.04, use 'disco')

Which will perform the requisite steps to add that to the sources and update the lists. This avoids having to make the user muddle around in config files.
qyot27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2019, 23:09   #448  |  Link
rmlazzari

Quote:
Originally Posted by qyot27 View Post
On Ubuntu (presumably any Debian variant, but I dunno for sure), after running the wget piping command, do
Code:
sudo add-apt-repository "deb https://mkvtoolnix.download/ubuntu/ bionic main"
(or swap 'bionic' for the corresponding one Mint should be using, or just the latest one in general - if that version of Mint was based on Ubuntu 19.04, use 'disco')

Which will perform the requisite steps to add that to the sources and update the lists. This avoids having to make the user muddle around in config files.
Thank you. I've applied your suggestion and it seem to work fine. Well... whit some issues, if you want I can copy here the messages. But when I call MKVToolNix-gui, it shows the updated version ("Leave It", 37).

And a last question: I'd like to do what I did under Windows: right-click in the .MKV file then the option to open it with gMKVExtract Gui. I did that way because in the first time I try to open a .MKV file, I choose the .EXE in a folder. Now I don't know neither where or which file I have to point to open with an extract gui.
rmlazzari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2019, 17:53   #449  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inviska View Post
Would it be okay to bundle the MKVToolNix command line tools in my Inviska MKV Extract AppImage?
In general: when you want to include someone else's work in your own package or when you have any question about the licensing of a specific piece of software, you should really contact the authors themselves, in MKVToolNix' case: me. My email address is readily available. Posting on a forum, not waiting for a response and just going ahead without understanding the licensing implications is not the polite thing to do.

That being said: MKVToolNix is licensed under the GPLv2. This allows you to do a lot of things wit the software, including re-distributing it either on its own or as part of a larger package. The website ChooseALicense.com contains a nice & concise list of things you may do & things you must do. Here's the list of things you must do and my additional information about it:
  1. Disclose source — if anyone asks you, in whatever way, for the source code of the version of MKVToolNix you distribute, you must make that source code available. If you do not modify MKVToolNix, it suffices to link to the official MKVToolNix download locations. However, if you do make modifications to MKVToolNix, you must make those modifications available in source code form, too.
  2. License and copyright notice — you must include the license and the copyright notice for MKVToolNix in your package. In general you can simply include the files "COPYING" and "README.md" from MKVToolNix in your package; just rename them to make it clear that they apply to the MKVToolNix portion of your package, not to your whole package (e.g. "COPYING.MKVToolNix" and "README.MKVToolNix.md", or place all of MKVToolNix' components in a single sub-directory called "MKVToolNix" and leave the original file names unmodified). Note that your package's own documentation (README file or whatever) should (must?) include a note that your package contains another piece of software, MKVToolNix, and where to find its license & copyright information (point to the "COPYING" and "README.md" files you've included).
  3. Same license — this only applies if you made any modification to MKVToolNix. If you do, those changes must be licensed under the GPLv2, too. Note that this does NOT apply to any other application that's part of your package — you could easly bundle an application licensed under BSD-2-clause with another application covered under a proprietary licensed together with MKVToolNix in your package! "Same license" really only applies to any changes made directly to the copy of MKVToolNix you distribute.
  4. State changes — again, this only applies if you made changes to MKVToolNix. If you did, you must document those changes (e.g. by including a diff file in your package containing the changes made, or by pointing to a git repository that contains each of your changes as commits).

Basically it's really easy, especially if you only distribute an unmodified copy of MKVToolNix. In that case include the license & README & point to them in your package's own documentation as described in point 2, and you'll be good to go.

Old 10th September 2019, 18:01   #450  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmlazzari View Post
Only the first line worked but the others... I have the impression that "wget" is a command, that the second line is a file but I don't know what the third and fourth line are.
Welcome to Linux I suggest you read up on a couple of newbie guides. There are a ton of them out there, and they can really benefit new users.

Now: you're correct that "wget" is a command. It's used to download files from the internet. In this case, the whole command downloads a file from my web server with "wget" and feeds the file directly to a second command, "apt-key". What's downloaded is the GPG key that's used to cryptographically sign the locations where you will later download MKVToolNix from. That GPG key is fed to "apt-key", which installs that key as a trusted key for this type of operation (downloading & installing software from locations that are signed with that key).

The second line is indeed the name of a file which you must create. Lines three & four are the content you should place in said file. That file will configure the location where to download MKVToolNix from. That location is the one that's signed with the GPG key downloaded in step 1.

What qtyo27 posted is an alternative to creating that file manually. It runs another command, "add-apt-repository", which will create that file for you if it doesn't exist already and add the location information to it. It's slightly easier to use, but not available everywhere, which is why I'm not mentioning it on my web site.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmlazzari View Post
And a last question: I'd like to do what I did under Windows: right-click in the .MKV file then the option to open it with gMKVExtract Gui.
That's something that has nothing to do with MKVToolNix. In fact, it has everything to do with the desktop environment you're using (on Linux there are tons of different desktop environments out there, unlike Windows where there's basically only one: Window's own). You should ask such a question on one of Linux Mint's forums. You'll likely have much better luck getting an answer there than here (e.g. I cannot answer your question as (1) I don't know which desktop environment Linux Mint uses by default as there are two or three possibilities and (2) even if I did, I only know how to do it in KDE/Plasma, and that's definitely not what Linux Mint is using).

Old 11th September 2019, 02:42   #451  |  Link
Inviska

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosu View Post
In general: when you want to include someone else's work in your own package or when you have any question about the licensing of a specific piece of software, you should really contact the authors themselves, in MKVToolNix' case: me. My email address is readily available. Posting on a forum, not waiting for a response and just going ahead without understanding the licensing implications is not the polite thing to do.
Sorry about that. A bug was reported with PureHD tracks and I was enthusiastic to release the new version with a fix, but I should have waited for your reply or emailed you. Sorry.

I've uploaded a new version of the AppImage with MKVToolNix removed.

Thanks a lot for the information about my obligations under the GPLv2 licence. For now I won't bundle MKVToolNix and will see how things progress. If Snaps and FlatPaks start to take off more I might have to include it, in which case I'll follow your instructions so it's done properly.

Again, sorry for uploading the other version without waiting for your response.
Inviska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2019, 17:04   #452  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

No problem; I'm not mad or something

Old 13th September 2019, 08:21   #453  |  Link
ripster

I am putting together a new PC build that will also be used for working with mkvtoolnix. Is there a benefit to using an Intel processor with more cores/threads in that machine with regard to processing times with mkvtoolnix?

I would get a k-processor with at least 4 cores anyhow but there is also the option to go up to 6 or 8 cores and the question whether it makes much of a difference to go for a processor with hyperthreading - seems that hyperthreading increases temperature substantially and due to that it limits maximum stable overclock.
ripster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2019, 09:33   #454  |  Link
mkver

mkvmerge is single-threaded and usually not CPU-bound, so hyperthreading doesn't really matter. The only thing against AMD that I can think of are recent bugs that resulted in crashes, but they seem to have been fixed already and when you buy a new one, you should already get the fix (see here).
mkver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2019, 10:11   #455  |  Link
ripster

Thanks, what do you mean by not CPU-bound? I take it that single core speed should still play a role but I could use either an AMD or Intel platform?
ripster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2019, 16:46   #456  |  Link
mkver

It is usually bound by the speed of your HDD/SSD and RAM. After all, a lot of the stuff mkvmerge does is "copy data from here to there".
mkver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2019, 06:10   #457  |  Link
stax76

Does mkvextract support long paths on Win 10? First test showed it doesn't, might as well be an issue in staxrip though.
stax76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2019, 17:14   #458  |  Link
Selur

I had written some code which could detect the stretching that worked with some old mkvinfo version, but since I used it last a bunch of stuff must have changed with the output of mkvinfo, so that code doesn't work any more.
So before I start to try to figure out what that code really indented to do and how it would need to be adjusted I wonder:

Is there an 'easy' way to detect whether an mkv contains a, by mkvtoolnix, strechted stream and by how much the stream was stretched (so that one can take the stretch into account when remuxing/reencoding such a file into another container)?

Cu Selur
Old 23rd September 2019, 18:09   #459  |  Link
sneaker_ger

There is no one field you can just read. For video tracks you could look into the bitstream (e.g. AVC or HEVC time_scale and num_units_in_ticks). For audio tracks you could see whether the frames overlap or have gaps i.e. if [number of frames]*[duration of one single frame] matches the duration in the container. If you are lucky maybe by reading the DefaultDuration and comparing it to the frame size (if frame sizes for the given codec are constant, and if DefaultDuration is set in the first place). Without track statistic tags this potentially involves a lot of parsing. For subtitles it may be impossible (maybe one can find a pattern in the roundings?).

Are you sure your app was able to do such things?

Last edited by sneaker_ger; 23rd September 2019 at 18:18.
sneaker_ger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2019, 19:33   #460  |  Link
Selur

Quote:
There is no one field you can just read.
a bunch of fields would have been nice too

Quote:
Are you sure your app was able to do such things?
Yup, but what it does/did is:
a. get the mkvinfo output
b. for each stream (only audio&video) collect it's raw length and the length in the container
c. compare raw and container size

Cu Selur

Tags
matroska