Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 8th December 2019, 23:11   #58061  |  Link
DMU

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclingo View Post
Hi, i've recently upgraded my RX 580 to a RX 5700, I now have the same issue you had I think, colours are unsaturated with MADVR and HDR and a little bit dimmer in dynamics overall, only happens with MADVR HDR with AMD API, windows HDR is fine but who in their right minds plays anything on windows player
If I understand you correctly, is your RX 580 showing normal colors and the RX 5700 is a little unsaturated?
DMU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2019, 23:54   #58062  |  Link
mclingo

yes my RX 580 was fine. The new RX 5700is quite a bit unsaturated and a little lower in dynamics overall I think, if I turn the saturation up from 55 my normal setting to 75 it starts to look a lot better but it still doesnt look right.

I've thrown everything at it today bar a windows reimage, i've tried several different recent driver versions too. Still very few RX5700 owners so cant say for sure this is just an issue with my setup though, nobody has come back to state they have the same issue.

my current chain:

windows 10 1809 - AMD RX5700 MSI OC - desktop set to FULL RGB 4:4:4 8 bit - MADVR 10 bit and higher, 0-255. LG 4k HDR OLED EF950v (2015 model) - set to HDMI 1 in bluray mode, set ti "HIGH" colour space. Ultra deep colour and high colour gamut on.

I've also tried different combinations of 442 RGB limted at 10 bit, nothing fixes it, only plays normally in WINDOWS FILMS and TV which is interesting as the other bug with EVR renderer and this card is also fine in this app, suggest AMD API / DRIVER issues to me.

This is a great gaming card compated to my 580 but i'm starting to think about selling it on ebay and putting my 580 back in.
Old 9th December 2019, 00:04   #58063  |  Link
Warner306

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkl View Post
Is there a way to save the 12bit RGB full color depth setting in nvidia control panel for 4k30hz resolution so that it gets selected during movie playback, even if the rest of the time the resolution is set to 4k60hz 8bit RGB full?
If I set the resolution to 4k30hz 12 bit RGB full and then change the refresh rate to 60hz, the 12bit color depth is selected during movie playback until the next reboot but I'd like a permanent solution for this.
I'm using the 4k30hz 12bit setting because that's the only way I get (almost) no color banding on my LG C9.
It used to be possible with some older Nvidia drivers, but not the newer ones. It could be considered a driver bug.
Warner306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2019, 00:13   #58064  |  Link
QBhd
QB the Slayer

@mclingo

I'm not seeing what you are seeing with my 5700 XT, but there is also a vagueness to your description... maybe you just had oversaturation in the past and liked it...

The one thing I do get from time to time is HDR not kicking in fully. The logo will pop up bright on the TV, then instantly dims and the video is washed out. The way I fix this is to skip to the next video on the playlist and jump back. I have just chalked that up to a quirk in my setup since I really don't want to do a fresh install of Windows like I should :P

QB
Old 9th December 2019, 01:49   #58065  |  Link
mclingo

nah, its nothing like that, its the same issue DMU has I think, it plays fine but is massively under saturated, not a bit.

I realise that these look awful, these were taken for comparison only, even allowing for my poor camera work, these were taken within seconds of each other on same camera and lighting conditions. colours and saturation are way off as my camera is crap, the left image looks totally fine in person and is correctly colours and saturated, this is the windos HDR image, next to its is the MADVR AMD API HDR image.

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AgvFafeelEBij75T...lRjNQ?e=JeGh4P

also what display are you using, you have nothing in your sig.

Last edited by mclingo; 9th December 2019 at 01:55.
mclingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2019, 01:55   #58066  |  Link
DMU

Quote:
hi, it now seems I have the same issue as you, did you solve these on you Vega card?
No, this is not solved. If you want, you can use madVR in OS HDR mode. Choose what you like best.

Last edited by DMU; 9th December 2019 at 01:57.
Old 9th December 2019, 02:04   #58067  |  Link
mclingo

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMU View Post
No, this is not solved. If you want, you can use madVR in OS HDR mode. Choose what you like best.
i tried that but I couldnt get it to work, it looked awful, washed out in a different way.

How exactly did you achieve MADVR in OS mode?
Old 9th December 2019, 02:11   #58068  |  Link
DMU

Quote:
How exactly did you achieve MADVR in OS mode?
Just turn ON Windows HDR switch.
Old 9th December 2019, 02:14   #58069  |  Link
mclingo

scrap that, user error, it works fine in OS mode, not sure if I prefer OS HDR or tone map to SDR, my TV is bare HDR at max 450 nits so there isnt much difference to be honest.

At last I have some choices while I log a fault with AMD.

cheers
Old 9th December 2019, 02:19   #58070  |  Link
QBhd
QB the Slayer

I have a LG C8 OLED... and I too wasn't able to get HDR to work properly with Windows OS HDR turned on, but I also only tried it out to see the difference and when it wasn't working I just went back to what worked, non OS HDR and letting the AMD HDR 10 trigger the TV. Even though that isn't always a smooth transition as I stated above.

QB

edit: maybe I just need to do something different to get it to work and quit since it was already working the other way...
Old 9th December 2019, 02:39   #58071  |  Link
mclingo

ive never had issues with HDR before getting this card, HDR was working perfectly with MADVR and KODI DS for ages, i've owned RX 480, 460, 560 and 580, none of these cards had issue, all were pretty rock solid for AMD API HDR.

I got mine working fine now with OS HDR, i've created some shortcuts to turn windows HDR on and off easily so that will do for now.

When using HDR with AMD cards in the past i've always used FSE until very recently, have you tried that, which player are you using, some are more reliable than others, KODI DS is still the best IMHO even though it hasnt been updated for ages.
Old 9th December 2019, 02:52   #58072  |  Link
Asterra

Might anyone have some insight as to why any HDR content played through MPC-BE (latest) / madVR (latest) will cause severe flickering when in fullscreen? Were I to attempt to elaborate, it looks like it's letting the video play and replacing every other frame with pure black, so about a 12Hz flicker, which makes me feel like I'd get epilepsy from staring at it. The screen's refresh rate doesn't make a difference, and this doesn't occur with non-HDR content.
Asterra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2019, 03:01   #58073  |  Link
huhn

FSE is problematic with windows 10 try without.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2019, 03:02   #58074  |  Link
Asterra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klaus1189 View Post
Good idea, but be sure to be and also stay polite, even when the person you are talking may not know about all that stuff you know. Just explain what what is 4:4:4 compared to 4:2:0 and then let them to some tests.
We had a chat. The support person was not knowledgeable but I let them go through the motions. They had me install remote desktop software and I watched them hunt desperately for a way to blame the issue on Nvidia, including trying to update my drivers without bothering to ask me. (The drivers were already fully updated, which saved me a "gotcha!") In the end, I was told that I should be getting an email from somebody who would have a better idea of what they're doing.

Now, here's the interesting part.

Have you tried this yet? Tell your TV that the device on your PC's port is actually a "Game Console".

It was mentioned to me that when this was done for an AMD-based PC, the guy then told his PC to output 4:2:0, the reason being he knew his driver software had a bug that would result in it actually outputting 4:4:4. And what he got as a result was 4:4:4 color resolution, no zooming bug, and, just as an extra bonus, all of the features that Samsung arbitrarily disabled for PC input, such as the "Movie" and "Natural" Display Modes.

Well I changed my port to Game Console and made no other changes, PC side or otherwise. And all of the above worked. 4:4:4 color, 23,24,25,50 Hz without zooming, and access to restricted modes.

I see no reason why this solution can't be regarded as potentially universal. Needless to say, I have the TV's auto updates turned the hell off, as I don't feel like rocking this boat now that this chapter seems to be closed.

Edit: Not quite out of the woods. There's a catch. Putting the port in Game Mode caused crosshatch dithering to appear. It's kind of subtle and kind of not. However. I then switched the port back to "PC" and... I can still change to 23,24,25,50 Hz without causing the zoom issue, and the other refresh rates no longer exhibit crosshatch dithering (they still have vertical dithering, as always). The downside is that 23,24,25,50 Hz do still exhibit crosshatch dithering, so even with this hack, there's room to hope they'll get things sorted out better in an update.

Last edited by Asterra; 9th December 2019 at 03:56.
Old 9th December 2019, 03:16   #58075  |  Link
Asterra

Quote:
Originally Posted by huhn View Post
FSE is problematic with windows 10 try without.
It's not enabled. At least not in madVR under General Settings. There's no black-screen delay when going fullscreen, such as might be expected when using FSE.
Old 9th December 2019, 08:29   #58076  |  Link
Alexkral

@mclingo & @QBhd

Are you both using the same version of MadVR? Because the latest beta does strange things, for example if I select "tone map HDR using pixel shaders" and "don't measure HDR frame peak luminance" the output is all black, except if I also select "compromise on HDR tone & gamut mapping accuracy ".

In any case, all these problems with black levels and saturation seem to be related to the way MadVR interacts with the AMD API.
Alexkral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2019, 10:42   #58077  |  Link
DMU

Quote:
ive never had issues with HDR before getting this card, HDR was working perfectly with MADVR and KODI DS for ages, i've owned RX 480, 460, 560 and 580, none of these cards had issue, all were pretty rock solid for AMD API HDR.
This is strange. I think that your TV somehow intervened and fixed the issue. Why this is not happening now - I don’t know.

Quote:
I got mine working fine now with OS HDR, i've created some shortcuts to turn windows HDR on and off easily so that will do for now.
I have an executable file that turns on Windows HDR mode. It can be put in the madVR profiles to automate the process.
Old 9th December 2019, 12:17   #58078  |  Link
QBhd
QB the Slayer

@Alexkral

I'm using the latest test build 112b. Isn't the point of the tone mapping to measure the peak to know what the algo should do? Anyway, I have always run madVR with ALL trade quality boxes unchecked.

There seems to be some confusion, I currently don't have a problem with levels or saturation. The only oddity I have is the AMD HDR 10 not always triggering the TV properly, easily fixed by skipping to another file in my playlist and then back again.

QB
Old 9th December 2019, 12:46   #58079  |  Link
Alexkral

Yes, but mclingo has that saturation problem with an RX 5700 just like you, so...

And of course it's better to have all that unchecked, but having it checked should not result in a black screen.
Alexkral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2019, 13:08   #58080  |  Link
QBhd
QB the Slayer

Again... just to be clear. He has a Navi based AMD card like me, I don't see a saturation problem.

QB

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling