Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-4 Encoder GUIs
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 15th June 2020, 20:31   #1981  |  Link
-QfG-
QfG Group Germany

I have a Question. With a 16 core Ryzen 9 3950x, is it recomnend to use 2 chunks, or another tip for boosting the speed during x265 4K encoding?
Old 15th June 2020, 23:17   #1982  |  Link
DavidRyan

I had a couple of strange errors initially after upgrading to 2.1.3.0, such as a popup telling me to open vapoursynth when I went to open a source (don't normally use vapoursynth) and HDR settings appearing by default in a SDR encode I tried. I had installed over the top of my 2.0.8 version, when I cleared the folder and only copied over the new files that came with this version the issues were resolved and everything now works as expected. Thought I'd mention it in case someone else has the same problem, guess there must have been some sort of conflict with the old files this time.
Old 16th June 2020, 04:05   #1983  |  Link
Atlantis

This has been mentioned before. There has been problems putting it on the top of the old. I always clean install a new version. I never keep any old config files. I do all from zero.
Old 16th June 2020, 04:10   #1984  |  Link
Atlantis

StaxRip 2.1.3.0:

In the jobs list we only see the file names of a batch job which I know is new. But we still see the full path for the manual single jobs. They should both look the same.
Old 16th June 2020, 07:10   #1985  |  Link
RainyDog

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidRyan View Post
I had a couple of strange errors initially after upgrading to 2.1.3.0, such as a popup telling me to open vapoursynth when I went to open a source (don't normally use vapoursynth) and HDR settings appearing by default in a SDR encode I tried. I had installed over the top of my 2.0.8 version, when I cleared the folder and only copied over the new files that came with this version the issues were resolved and everything now works as expected. Thought I'd mention it in case someone else has the same problem, guess there must have been some sort of conflict with the old files this time.
I've been having this issue too since I upgraded to 2.1.3.0.

Always just copied new versions over the previous and never had a problem before.

I understand if there's been some substantial code change that requires a fresh install on this occasion. But I have a lot of manually created filter profiles and encoder profiles set-up that I really don't want to lose.

So how do I ensure these are not lost if I do start afresh with version 2.1.3.0... Just keep the Settings folder?

Thanks.
Old 16th June 2020, 08:22   #1986  |  Link
44vince44

Unfortunately the settings folders is the problem! You can't keep it. It's better to do as Atlantis says, clean install, redo all your customization.
However, for your filter profiles, you can copy the whole profiles as text to a text file, then copy it back to your new profiles (erasing the default one), It's a simple text copy/paste operation.
For your encoder profiles or templates, you have to do them again.
Between 2.0.8.0 and 2.1.3.0 there has been major changes. It's probable you wouldn't need to do that again soon.
BTW, remember you can download betas, current betas are more stable that 2.1.3.0 because they are bugfixes.
Old 16th June 2020, 08:34   #1987  |  Link
44vince44

-Qfg- increase chunks in the encoder options and at the same time max number parallel processes in the settings (same value for both), 4 is a good value for your Ryzen.

Also you could try not using chunks but instead, using the pools parameter in the encoder options, using maybe 6.

You could try both on a short sample and monitor the CPU usage to see which is best.

Last edited by 44vince44; 16th June 2020 at 08:37.
Old 16th June 2020, 18:36   #1988  |  Link
-QfG-
QfG Group Germany

Thank you, i will try some samples.
Old 16th June 2020, 18:49   #1989  |  Link
stax76

Quote:
In the jobs list we only see the file names of a batch job which I know is new. But we still see the full path for the manual single jobs. They should both look the same.
I can't just remove the path info because some people might miss it, people that use different paths.

Maybe it can be changed using a new setting, feel free to create a tracker ticket.

Recommendations about updates:

Never copy over or install over staxrip (or other apps like mpv.net), uninstall first, delete the old folder.

Absolutely avoid modifying or copy anything inside the startup or apps folder, simply because it would be difficult to update staxrip afterwards. There should not be a need doing this except rare situations like somebody wants to use AviSynth 3.5, here it would be necessary to modify the Versions.txt file (delete AviSynth line). To use custom tools with newer version the Apps dialog has a feature to use custom paths that point outside the startup/apps folder.

StaxRip allows to choose a custom path for its settings folder, this info is stored at:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\StaxRip\SettingsLocation

StaxRip will ask for a settings folder whenever it starts from a new/unknown folder (folder does not match with registry entry).

I design features to use the settings folder for all customizations.

It's not necessary or recommended wiping out old settings after an update, usually settings are compatible, if not I have the possibility to force a reset for individual settings but I do this very rarely, especially for settings that have possibly many customizations like filter profiles.

Sometimes it's necessary or useful to reset certain settings, many dialogs have a reset feature to reset individual settings and there is a central reset feature at:

Tools > Advanced > Reset Setting...

Last edited by stax76; 16th June 2020 at 20:10.
Old 16th June 2020, 21:10   #1990  |  Link
Atlantis

If path is needed then why delete it from the batch job? I'm just saying what I'm seeing. When I have a batch encode and single encodes in the list, they look very different and it doesn't look good. It looks inconsistent.

I rather open a tracker ticket for including extracting the DTS Core in demux stage. If you think it's ok and feasible and you can do it, I will open one about that.

Oh also again in the demux window, you have buttons to select ALL or NONE for Audio and Subtitle, but not for Attachments. We need the same buttons for Attachments.
Old 16th June 2020, 21:59   #1991  |  Link
stax76

Quote:
If path is needed then why delete it from the batch job? I'm just saying what I'm seeing. When I have a batch encode and single encodes in the list, they look very different and it doesn't look good. It looks inconsistent.
Batch job file paths are located in the settings directory, and they are longer and look more ugly than normal job file paths, it was a request to remove the full path.

There are three options, remove from both, make a setting or leave as is. For me it's fine to leave as is but if people say it could be improved then I consider it.

Quote:
I rather open a tracker ticket for including extracting the DTS Core in demux stage.
It's supported in the eac3to demuxer, there is a menu preset for it.

For mkvextract somebody has to ask if it's supported, the mkvextract docs only say:

A_DTS
These will be extracted to raw DTS files.

The word core is not mentioned in the docs.

Quote:
Oh also again in the demux window, you have buttons to select ALL or NONE for Audio and Subtitle, but not for Attachments. We need the same buttons for Attachments.
OK, bookmarked.
Old 16th June 2020, 22:37   #1992  |  Link
jlw_4049

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlantis View Post

I rather open a tracker ticket for including extracting the DTS Core in demux stage. If you think it's ok and feasible and you can do it, I will open one about that.

What benefits do you get from extracting DTS to core during the demuxing stage vs extracting DTS to core via the muxing process?

The former will need to do extra writes to your folder to store the file and then ultimately mux it in the end anyways. Not to mention it'll take longer, as it has to demux that and what ever else you choose, before Indexing, before you are able to crop/make changes and actually do the encode. Doing it in a single process during the muxing process makes more sense in my eyes.

StaxRip already supports this function
https://i.imgur.com/4fQWGme.png

If you simply need to extract the DTS core from a file you can pretty easily do this with FFMPEG. You can even set it up in a .bat script.
something like:
ffmpeg -i examplefilm.mkv -map 0:a:0 -bsf:a dca_core -c:a copy DTSCORE.dts

Or you can setup a .bat script to drag and drop the video file like so.

for %%a in ("*.mkv" "*.mp4") do ffmpeg -i "%%a" ^
-map 0:a:0 ^
-bsf:a dca_core ^
-c:a:0 copy^
"%%~na.dts"

@stax76
I know this is off topic, respond when you have the time, I would have PM'd you but you don't accept PMs.
You told me before you had good resources to learn Python. I have been learning some of it with a little Tkinter. I'm trying to make a basic GUI. I'm still having some trouble understanding some of the syntax and actually getting it into my head, could you please provide the names to the resources you was talking about. Thanks!

Last edited by jlw_4049; 16th June 2020 at 22:51.
Old 17th June 2020, 00:40   #1993  |  Link
stax76

Quote:
I know this is off topic, respond when you have the time, I would have PM'd you but you don't accept PMs.
You told me before you had good resources to learn Python. I have been learning some of it with a little Tkinter. I'm trying to make a basic GUI. I'm still having some trouble understanding some of the syntax and actually getting it into my head, could you please provide the names to the resources you was talking about. Thanks!
I think I had suggested the site realpython.com, it seems to have good free content:

https://realpython.com/learning-path...ui-programming
Old 18th June 2020, 19:39   #1994  |  Link
jlw_4049

Quote:
Originally Posted by stax76 View Post
I think I had suggested the site realpython.com, it seems to have good free content:

https://realpython.com/learning-path...ui-programming
Old 20th June 2020, 13:17   #1995  |  Link
44vince44

@Stax76:
Many users reporting problems due to Avisynth 3.6.0.
It is unfortunate that the latest stable release 2.1.3.0 includes buggy 3.6.0.
Maybe when 3.6.1 final is released, there should be a new Staxrip stable version ?
Old 20th June 2020, 13:44   #1996  |  Link
hevron

staxrip

Stax76, Thanks a lot.

Ver. 2.1.3.1 beta works great, I only added NVEnc 5.05.
It’s not clear what with NVEnc 5.06?
Old 20th June 2020, 20:39   #1997  |  Link
44vince44

Avisynth 3.6.1 final is released !
Old 22nd June 2020, 01:31   #1998  |  Link
Atlantis

AviSynth+ 3.6.1 is released .................... with proper link.
Old 22nd June 2020, 22:46   #1999  |  Link
44vince44

Thank you Stax76 for latest beta 2.1.3.4.
It is working very well, and portable avisynth seems perfect now!
Thanks again!
Old 23rd June 2020, 15:27   #2000  |  Link
hevron

There is DTS-HD Master Audio / 5.1 / 48 kHz / 3846 kbps / 24-bit and you need to keep DTS Core: 5.1 / 48 kHz / 1509 kbps / 24-bit.
But staxrip lowers bit depth to 16-bit. It can be fixed?
tsMuxerGUI 2.6.16 Nightly holds 24-bit capacity.
Thanks.

Last edited by hevron; 23rd June 2020 at 15:32.
Closed Thread

Tags
aac, hdr, hevc, nvenc, staxrip, x264, x265