Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 19th February 2021, 12:47   #61261  |  Link
Siso
Soul Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmodian View Post
It seems to be everything with more recent drivers but I only have personal experiance with Turing and Ampere.
I see, maybe it is a new driver thing. I'm with 456.71 drivers.
Siso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2021, 13:16   #61262  |  Link
Warlock

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrazyLurt View Post
Well I solved my issue, I hope this post will be useful.
As mentioned earlier, had vsync issues, solved in mpc-hc with fullscreen exclusive but it didnt work with PotPlayer.

Well this is solved in MadVR settings:

EDIT: Asmodian corrected my error of reasoning, so this is my solution after adjusting as Asmodian explained below

Lower the vaule "present several frames in advanced" to "1", this work under "window mode" and "exclusive mode"

I previously had it 8 frames in advanced. The only value working for me is "1".

Only thing left now is getting d3d11 and vulkan APIs working in MPV, I havent found any flag for editing how many frames presented in advance, maybe its somewhere in the io manual or it doesnt work the same. Anyway, input is welcomed as usual.
I did what the Asmodian said, I went back to the default settings for vsync and power on the nvidia control panel. I will follow your tips for mpc-hc, in case just activate the automatic full exclusive mode option in general setttings, and then set the value "1" in present several frames in advanced, both in windowed and exclusive mode?
Warlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2021, 15:53   #61263  |  Link
KrazyLurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warlock View Post
I will follow your tips for mpc-hc, in case just activate the automatic full exclusive mode option in general setttings, and then set the value "1" in present several frames in advanced, both in windowed and exclusive mode?
I did adjust the value in both windowed and exclusive, not because it mattered, but I saw no reason to have a value beyond that now when vsync, going forwards, is implemented the way it is, unless Nvidia see it as a bug and make some adjustments.
KrazyLurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2021, 17:06   #61264  |  Link
Greenhorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrazyLurt View Post
Well I solved my issue, I hope this post will be useful.
As mentioned earlier, had vsync issues, solved in mpc-hc with fullscreen exclusive but it didnt work with PotPlayer.

Well this is solved in MadVR settings:

EDIT: Asmodian corrected my error of reasoning, so this is my solution after adjusting as Asmodian explained below

Lower the vaule "present several frames in advanced" to "1", this work under "window mode" and "exclusive mode"

I previously had it 8 frames in advanced. The only value working for me is "1".

Only thing left now is getting d3d11 and vulkan APIs working in MPV, I havent found any flag for editing how many frames presented in advance, maybe its somewhere in the io manual or it doesnt work the same. Anyway, input is welcomed as usual.
so it's kinda offtopic for madVR, but MPV uses backbuffers like madVR's old DX9 and DX9 Windowed Overlay modes. set it with swapchain-depth in your mpv config.

Since it's not presentation in advance I'm not sure if the same logic applies. I know the old Windowed Overlay mode in madVR is actually stutter-free for me with 3 backbuffers on a Turing card. (And this stuttering nonsense started for most people when Turing came out.)
Greenhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2021, 18:05   #61265  |  Link
ang3l

is there anyone with an amd rx6000 series (6800/6900) ? before I had an rx480 and the hdr switching was working perfectly now there is no way to make it work

letest amd driver Adrenalin 2020 Edition 21.2.2 Optional

tried with both madvr 92.17 and latest beta madVRhdrMeasure123b, outputting full rgb or ycbcr 4:4:4

EDIT

ok it seems related to the latest madvr beta, with normal 92.17 it works now, my old gpu didn't have enough strength to do tone mapping with madvr so I had never installed a beta versions of madvr before

anyone had problem with newer beta and amd?

Last edited by ang3l; 19th February 2021 at 18:49.
ang3l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2021, 19:30   #61266  |  Link
KrazyLurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenhorn View Post
so it's kinda offtopic for madVR, but MPV uses backbuffers like madVR's old DX9 and DX9 Windowed Overlay modes. set it with swapchain-depth in your mpv config.

Since it's not presentation in advance I'm not sure if the same logic applies. I know the old Windowed Overlay mode in madVR is actually stutter-free for me with 3 backbuffers on a Turing card. (And this stuttering nonsense started for most people when Turing came out.)
Thanks buddy, I must have skimmed over swapchain-depth when doing another dig at the reference manual yesterday.

swapchain-depth=1 solved the vsync issue with the d3d11 API.

Not when using the Vulkan API though. I tried vulkan-queue-count=N with several values (default 1) with and w/out vulkan-swap-mode=fifo and/or swapchain-depth=1.

Doesn't matter that much, it's more a curiousity thing at this point, d3d11 is fine .
KrazyLurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2021, 15:25   #61267  |  Link
Warlock

After reading several comments and tips from you guys, the best configuration I got to eliminate the stutterings / glitches on my rtx2060, using mpc-hc, lavfilters and madvr was to leave vsync in the default settings, set value "1" in present several frames in advanced.

Even with these changes, I still noticed some glitches and stutterings, which were completely solved when I configured it on the nvidia control panel, exclusively only for the mpc-hc and madvr, in the power option for preference for maximum performance, with that resolved definitely the problem of stuttering / glitch in the system, now everything runs perfectly, everything is soft, but there is a catch, the consumption and temperature of the vga increases a little and maybe, depending on the profile used in madvr, the user may need to reduce some things for vga to hold the performance.

But I'm seriously considering abandoning madvr permanently and start using mpcvr with standard video renderer, because I found it much better than madvr, it is light, works for videos encoded in 10bit and is very simple to configure. I am testing it at the moment, no stutterings / glitches using it, I will do some tests, but it is likely that it will definitely stay on it, just not having stuttering in the videos is already perfect, without having to do or configure anything.
Warlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2021, 04:34   #61268  |  Link
Asmodian

Quote:
I will follow your tips for mpc-hc, in case just activate the automatic full exclusive mode option in general setttings, and then set the value "1" in present several frames in advanced, both in windowed and exclusive mode?
FSE is also not useful in current Windows 10 with current drivers.

It is being emulated in the current Windows 10 so it does not provide the same benefits as it used to. There really isn't a point to use it anymore and it often causes problems. If it doesn't cause problems on your system it is fine to use, of course, but it is not an option I would enable anymore.

Quote:
works for videos encoded in 10bit and is very simple to configure.
madVR works for 10 bit too.

But feel free to use MPCVR if you don't need the other features of madVR, less hassle is a good enough reason.

Last edited by Asmodian; 21st February 2021 at 04:37.
Asmodian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2021, 04:37   #61269  |  Link
quietvoid

FSE can be used with latest NVIDIA drivers to keep HDR enabled, because any windows UI element would disable tonemapping on the TV otherwise.
Old 21st February 2021, 05:10   #61270  |  Link
Asmodian

Ah, nice, that could be useful.

I still don't like FSE and I don't use the UI elements when I want the tone mapping to work anyway.
Old 21st February 2021, 11:27   #61271  |  Link
Maryoum

HDR looks great in Windowed mode but it gets very dim in fullscreen. Any ideas?
Maryoum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2021, 11:45   #61272  |  Link
Siso
Soul Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmodian View Post
But feel free to use MPCVR if you don't need the other features of madVR, less hassle is a good enough reason.
The thing about MPCVR for me is that it doesn't support 3dlut, and it lacks more scallers.
Siso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2021, 14:10   #61273  |  Link
menac1ty

Quote:
Originally Posted by menac1ty View Post
I have a GTX 980Ti and a Ryzen 2600x
1080p
When playing a video file with madVr, the whole system restarts within 10 seconds. I've tried 32bit and 64bit, different settings, updated LAV filters, nothing.
I have no issue in games or any type of stress testing the GPU.
What's the problem?
anyone?
menac1ty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2021, 14:29   #61274  |  Link
huhn

you should check the event manager why this is happening.
a video renderer is not really capable of doing this.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2021, 19:19   #61275  |  Link
tp4tissue

Quote:
anyone?
980ti doesn't have the HEVC decoder, so if you're running 4K, it's using CPU decode, if that's on the AVX path, it could lead to overheat / instability if you have an overclock.

Anything NOT running avx path won't crash the pc, but avx load would.
Old 23rd February 2021, 21:34   #61276  |  Link
mclingo

Quote:
anyone?
you havent given us much to go on here, does it only BSOD when you are playing a movie with the MADVR renderer, if you switch to stock renderer does not not crash?

have you done a full drive wipe and reinstall using the NVIDIA cleanup suggested here?

https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=176013

have you analyzed the memory dump?
Old 24th February 2021, 19:39   #61277  |  Link
menac1ty

Quote:
Originally Posted by tp4tissue View Post
980ti doesn't have the HEVC decoder, so if you're running 4K, it's using CPU decode, if that's on the AVX path, it could lead to overheat / instability if you have an overclock.

Anything NOT running avx path won't crash the pc, but avx load would.
I'm only doing 1080p and CPU is not overclocked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclingo View Post
you havent given us much to go on here, does it only BSOD when you are playing a movie with the MADVR renderer, if you switch to stock renderer does not not crash?

have you done a full drive wipe and reinstall using the NVIDIA cleanup suggested here?

https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=176013

have you analyzed the memory dump?
It doesn't BSOD, it straight up restarts the PC. without any kind of error.
With stock settings it doesn't crash at all. Also yes, I have read the thread you mentioned.
I used to have this issue before with my old GTX 970, after I installed MPC x86 it was solved.
Then I had RX570 it didn't have a problem with either x64 or x86
And this GTX 980ti has problems with both.
Old 24th February 2021, 21:22   #61278  |  Link
chros

Power related, maybe? Power supply, etc...
Old 25th February 2021, 00:10   #61279  |  Link
menac1ty

Quote:
Originally Posted by chros View Post
Power related, maybe? Power supply, etc...
I managed to monitor GPU power draw while playing using madVr.
It consumes about 300watts.
During gaming, or even furmark test, it consumes well over 340watts and there's absolutely no crashing.
Although I will test with a different power supply to see if anything changes.
Old 25th February 2021, 11:25   #61280  |  Link
mclingo

if its not even writing a MEMORY.DMP or MINIDUMP it suggests a hardware fault on some level but i have had this a couple of times way back in the past with my RX480 with a couple of driver packages where is would just restart the PC randomly with no dumps, so it is possible for a driver to cause this.

so it only happens in MADVR right?, have you definately done a full driver wipe or both NVIDA and AMD packages, you may still have some driver remnants from bother if you've had other cards installed.

so if you put the RX570 back in its ok?

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling