Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-4 Encoder GUIs

Old 14th February 2021, 11:34   #18941  |  Link
Atak_Snajpera
RipBot264 author

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKPN View Post
I'm having an issue on one of my two PCs. I had everything working perfectly, but recently reformatted both PCs. I've got Ripbot working on one (PC1), but I cannot get it to work on the other (PC2). When launching a job from PC1, it is not able to connect to PC2 for distributed encoding. When launching from PC2, it connects to PC1 for distributed encoding, but PC2 never does any work. I can't figure out what the issue is, as all the settings appear to be correct.

Not sure if it makes a difference, but when I launch Ripbot on PC1, the encoding server also launches automatically and appears in my taskbar. When I launch on PC2, the encoding server does not appear in the taskbar, but it does appear in Task Manager.

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated. PC2 is my more powerful PC, so I really want to get this resolved quickly.
Disable GeForce Experience spying service or any software which works in background (MSI, Logitech and so on). Safe mode should also fix this issue. Basically other application on your system blocks encodingserver.exe.
Atak_Snajpera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2021, 13:19   #18942  |  Link
ReinerSchweinlin

Hi,

maybe my question got lost:
Would it be possible to enable GPU Decoding for AMD GPUs? At the moment, its "CPU or GPU" and if seems only nvidia or intel decoding is possible. Would be cool to have AMD Decoders available, too and make it selectable (like the OPENCL Options).
Thanx!
ReinerSchweinlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2021, 13:47   #18943  |  Link
Atak_Snajpera
RipBot264 author

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReinerSchweinlin View Post
Hi,

maybe my question got lost:
Would it be possible to enable GPU Decoding for AMD GPUs? At the moment, its "CPU or GPU" and if seems only nvidia or intel decoding is possible. Would be cool to have AMD Decoders available, too and make it selectable (like the OPENCL Options).
Thanx!
No because open source community is not very well encouraged by AMD to do anything in that regard. Blame AMD.
By the way. You are not missing a lot in terms of encoding time. Maybe up to 3%-5% if you do not do any filtering in avisynth.

Last edited by Atak_Snajpera; 14th February 2021 at 13:49.
Old 14th February 2021, 14:04   #18944  |  Link
gonca

Rigaya keeps this up to date
https://github.com/rigaya/VCEEnc/releases
gonca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2021, 14:49   #18945  |  Link
Atak_Snajpera
RipBot264 author

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonca View Post
Encoder != Decoder
Old 14th February 2021, 16:18   #18946  |  Link
gonca

Aware of that but it can also decode to feed the encoder
If the OP wants to encode with AMD it would work
gonca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2021, 16:33   #18947  |  Link
SKPN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atak_Snajpera View Post
Disable GeForce Experience spying service or any software which works in background (MSI, Logitech and so on). Safe mode should also fix this issue. Basically other application on your system blocks encodingserver.exe.
Thank you! I don't know why it wasn't working though; I had GeForce Experience running prior to reformatting and everything worked fine. Strange.

Thanks for your help!
SKPN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2021, 18:42   #18948  |  Link
ReinerSchweinlin

Quote:
No because open source community is not very well encouraged by AMD to do anything in that regard. Blame AMD.
By the way. You are not missing a lot in terms of encoding time. Maybe up to 3%-5% if you do not do any filtering in avisynth.
Thanx for getting back!
I am aware that the speed difference isnīt that huge I was under the impression, that since ffmpeg seems to incorporate some means of using the AMD decoders, that it would be as simple as "switching it on and make a selector for AMD/NVIDIA/Intel decoders". I stumbled across this in the ffmpeg wiki:

"AMD UVD/VCE

AMD UVD is usable for decode via VDPAU and VAAPI in Mesa on Linux. VCE also has some initial support for encode via VAAPI, but should be considered experimental.

On Windows, UVD is accessible via standard DXVA2/D3D11VA APIs, while VCE is supported via AMF. "

So my amater brain thought: Use DXVA..... But I now learned that this is not good and found this post:

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.ph...md#post1921757

Learned something new today. Thanx.
Old 14th February 2021, 18:52   #18949  |  Link
ReinerSchweinlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonca View Post
Yes, I know. I also stumbled acros this:
https://bluesky-soft.com/en/AsVideoConv.html
(in regard of AMD De/encoding), but havenīt gotten it to run on my vega 64 so far... (Yes, I heard that AMD Encoders are shitty, I am used to RTX Encoders, but since this VEGA happens to be here, I thought I`ll play around a little..) But thats OT for Ripbot
Old 17th February 2021, 07:24   #18950  |  Link
Pauly Dunne
Grumpy Old Man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryushin View Post
Based on what I've been reading, FFMPEG should be able to encode 5.1 E-AC3. Can this be add as an option to RB? Based on what I've been reading compression is similar to AAC and E-AC3 can be decoded by modern AVRs which makes it a good replacement for me instead of using for AC3 and AAC.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tormento
Yup, I jumped from THD/DTSHD -> AC3 to EAC3 format but I kept the 640kbps that I used in AC3.
That sounds like a good idea. Though I want to keep 3D audio, so I have to keep the full THD+Atmos and DTS:X tracks. But for those shows that have DTS-HD in 5.1, it would be better to use E-AC3 at 640K, and for the streaming versions I create I'll use E-AC3 at 320K instead of AAC.

I looked and I could find no free tools that could do 7.1 channel E-AC3.
I have been "playing" around with E-AC3 for that last couple of days, and have stumbled across several app's that can convert to this format.

Of course they're all based on FFMPEG (which RB uses), so it should be pretty straight forward to have this as part of the audio options.

Like converting TrueHD, and FLAC to E-AC3.

Even tho FFMPEG can't yet utilize 7.1, most TV's only run up to 5.1, so that's 2 channels not required.

I did a test with Handbrake to convert THD 7.1 to E-AC3 5.1 at the same bitrate of 1536K, and it worked just fine, and Handbrake is FFMPEG based !!!

Also, there is a reasonably simple way of converting with eac3to, as well, and RipBot uses that.

So if this was added to RipBot, it would be nice to be able to choose up to 1536K, or 1509K, and not be limited to the 640K of AC3.
Old 17th February 2021, 22:01   #18951  |  Link
Ryushin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pauly Dunne View Post
I have been "playing" around with E-AC3 for that last couple of days, and have stumbled across several app's that can convert to this format.

Of course they're all based on FFMPEG (which RB uses), so it should be pretty straight forward to have this as part of the audio options.

Like converting TrueHD, and FLAC to E-AC3.

Even tho FFMPEG can't yet utilize 7.1, most TV's only run up to 5.1, so that's 2 channels not required.

I did a test with Handbrake to convert THD 7.1 to E-AC3 5.1 at the same bitrate of 1536K, and it worked just fine, and Handbrake is FFMPEG based !!!

Also, there is a reasonably simple way of converting with eac3to, as well, and RipBot uses that.

So if this was added to RipBot, it would be nice to be able to choose up to 1536K, or 1509K, and not be limited to the 640K of AC3.
Thanks for testing this. RB uses 320K for AAC, which should be equivalent to 640K AC3. Using E-AC3 640k would be like 1280K AC3. There are diminishing returns with higher bit rates that we won't be able to hear and it becomes a placebo effect at some point. I'm not sure we will be able to hear anything better at E-AC3 320K compared to E-AC3 640K.

What I would like to see is some kind of tool that can convert TrueHD+Atmos to E-AC3+Atmos but I don't see any free tools available to do that.
Ryushin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2021, 00:43   #18952  |  Link
Pauly Dunne
Grumpy Old Man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryushin View Post
Thanks for testing this. RB uses 320K for AAC, which should be equivalent to 640K AC3. Using E-AC3 640k would be like 1280K AC3. There are diminishing returns with higher bit rates that we won't be able to hear and it becomes a placebo effect at some point. I'm not sure we will be able to hear anything better at E-AC3 320K compared to E-AC3 640K.

What I would like to see is some kind of tool that can convert TrueHD+Atmos to E-AC3+Atmos but I don't see any free tools available to do that.
Hi,

I had 3 different conversions of a THD track that I then mkvtoolnix'ed back together, with the movie the THD track was from, for an "ear test".

2 @ 1536K, one done by Handbrake and the other by eac3to,

and 1 @ 640K done a slightly different way, with eac3to.

There where subtle difference's in their structure, according to Mediainfo.

But I have to say, with my HT setup & my ear, the 1536K's sounded better.

I noticed that RipBot recognises E-AC3 audio, it just can't convert anything to E-AC3, yet....
Old 18th February 2021, 00:54   #18953  |  Link
Atak_Snajpera
RipBot264 author

Quote:
But I have to say, with my HT setup & my ear, the 1536K's sounded better.
I doubt that you can even hear anything above 15khz at your age. That kind of tests should be done by young people in early 20s.
Old 18th February 2021, 01:36   #18954  |  Link
Pauly Dunne
Grumpy Old Man.

Quote:
I doubt that you can even hear anything above 15khz at your age. That kind of tests should be done by young people in early 20s.
Come on, that's not a very nice thing to say...how old do you think I am ??

You're probably right, but it DID sound better !!!!!
Old 18th February 2021, 12:07   #18955  |  Link
Atak_Snajpera
RipBot264 author

That's a scientific fact. Most adults above age 30 do not hear any sounds above 16khz. No need to be offended.
Old 18th February 2021, 17:13   #18956  |  Link
chainring

@Atak,

Pauly is talking about the bitrate, not the upper frequency. Your point still stands though.

Having E-AC-3 conversion might be nice, if only for the possibility of Atmos. Is that possible with FFMPEG?

FYI, I read an article about some guys from a stereo magazine or something like that who went to Dolby Labs and got to go into Dolby's test room. It was setup with very nice equipment and also a computer driven ABX setup. Results: 640 Kbps AC-3 couldn't be picked out from higher bitrate samples. So, before deciding on a bitrate, do a proper blind test.
chainring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2021, 00:47   #18957  |  Link
Pauly Dunne
Grumpy Old Man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chainring View Post
@Atak,

Pauly is talking about the bitrate, not the upper frequency. Your point still stands though.

Having E-AC-3 conversion might be nice, if only for the possibility of Atmos. Is that possible with FFMPEG?

FYI, I read an article about some guys from a stereo magazine or something like that who went to Dolby Labs and got to go into Dolby's test room. It was setup with very nice equipment and also a computer driven ABX setup. Results: 640 Kbps AC-3 couldn't be picked out from higher bitrate samples. So, before deciding on a bitrate, do a proper blind test.
Thanks chainring

Quote:
Pauly is talking about the bitrate, not the upper frequency.
Yes, I was...

Quote:
Your point still stands though.
Yes, it does...

Quote:
Having E-AC-3 conversion might be nice, if only for the possibility of Atmos.
Yes, it would, and it would save a lot of time, not having to use separate apps to do it.

Quote:
Is that possible with FFMPEG?
Yes, that's how it's done :-

1 example:-

https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.p...04#post1929204

another example:-

https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.p...26#post1936226
Old 25th February 2021, 21:25   #18958  |  Link
FuzzyNutz

7.1 to 5.1

are back channels mixed in when a 7.1 audio source is re-encoded to 5.1?
FuzzyNutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2021, 04:22   #18959  |  Link
Pauly Dunne
Grumpy Old Man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyNutz View Post
are back channels mixed in when a 7.1 audio source is re-encoded to 5.1?
Hey Fuzzy, this might answer your question, it's a little bit old, but I'm sure the same applies.

There's even a couple of comments from "our fearless leader", Atak !!!

https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/333743-Aac-7-1
Old 26th February 2021, 04:43   #18960  |  Link
FuzzyNutz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pauly Dunne View Post
Hey Fuzzy, this might answer your question, it's a little bit old, but I'm sure the same applies.

There's even a couple of comments from "our fearless leader", Atak !!!

https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/333743-Aac-7-1
That discussion does not cover how RipBot264 deals with 7.1 to 5.1.
FuzzyNutz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
264, 265, appletv, avchd, bluray, gui, iphone, ipod, ps3, psp, ripbot264, x264 2-pass, x264 gui, x264_64, x265, xbox360