Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > New and alternative a/v containers
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 1st March 2021, 14:54   #24281  |  Link
mzso

Quote:
Originally Posted by huhn View Post
with an AMD card?
Yes. RX580

I wish LAV had a way to provide different preset/settings for particular apps. That would allow to work around my issues. I don't need HW decoding for measly 1080i AVC DVB streams, but I definitely need deinterlacing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by max79 View Post
LAVFilters_v0.74.1-98 fixing this nightmare "seeking" issue. Thank you Nev!
What's that about?

Last edited by mzso; 1st March 2021 at 15:00.
mzso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2021, 15:10   #24282  |  Link
max79

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzso View Post
What's that about?
https://github.com/Nevcairiel/LAVFilters/issues/306
max79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2021, 17:54   #24283  |  Link
huhn

Quote:
Yes. RX580

I wish LAV had a way to provide different preset/settings for particular apps. That would allow to work around my issues. I don't need HW decoding for measly 1080i AVC DVB streams, but I definitely need deinterlacing.

What's that about?
the problem is that pretty much everything related to hardware stuff is pretty much broken on AMD.
calling it with lavfilter instead of a video renderer doesn't change that.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2021, 18:04   #24284  |  Link
mzso

Quote:
Originally Posted by huhn View Post
the problem is that pretty much everything related to hardware stuff is pretty much broken on AMD.
calling it with lavfilter instead of a video renderer doesn't change that.
Not quite. LAV+madVR produces proper image at least, but deinterlacing support is lacking.
Old 1st March 2021, 18:34   #24285  |  Link
jkauff

Quote:
Not quite. LAV+madVR produces proper image at least, but deinterlacing support is lacking.
Nvidia Control Panel provides the option to deinterlace using Inverse Telecine. Doesn't AMD offer something similar?
jkauff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2021, 19:24   #24286  |  Link
Klaus1189

My RX480 does proper HW deinterlacing and the RX580 should be also ok, isn't it ok?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkauff View Post
Nvidia Control Panel provides the option to deinterlace using Inverse Telecine
If I disable Inverse Telecine in Nvidia Control Panel HW deinterlacing still works. It is another feature.

Last edited by Klaus1189; 1st March 2021 at 20:08. Reason: fixed typo
Klaus1189 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2021, 19:24   #24287  |  Link
el Filou

mzso would like to use D3D11 native hardware decoding (I assume probably for performance reasons with UHD) but madVR doesn't (yet? or won't ever?) support deinterlacing with D3D11, and as it's a DXVA native decoder there is no way to deinterlace in LAV itself as it must be managed by the renderer.
Not really LAV's fault, though.
Old 1st March 2021, 20:21   #24288  |  Link
chros

Quote:
It sort of works with 2 MPC-HC (because it has LAV as internal filter) using ini files, or 1 HC and 1 BE.

Also, since LAV store its setting in registry, you can back it up as a reg file, and run the one you want before playback starts (e.g. from a bat file).

I'm not affected by this, in 2021 I don't watch any (!) interlaced content, that's why I use d3d11-native in LAV video.

Last edited by chros; 1st March 2021 at 20:23.
chros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2021, 20:51   #24289  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

You can turn off HW decoding simply for AVC, as indeed any mediocre CPU should be able to handle that.

I might work on deinterlacing d3d11 native streams in the future, but thats a project a bit further down the list, and I barely get time to work on these.
First I want to work on re-envigorating CUVID and soem Blu-ray demuxing improvements. But thats after the next release.

Last edited by nevcairiel; 1st March 2021 at 20:56.
nevcairiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2021, 20:57   #24290  |  Link
VBB

That's exactly what I do. HW decoding only for HEVC, VP9, AV1. My 1st gen Core i7-920 handles everything else.
Old 1st March 2021, 21:13   #24291  |  Link
huhn

Quote:
depends on other settings your card should be fine when scaling is also done with the hardware scaler which is not the case as soon as you are disabling the native formats.
madVR get's the image scaled.

d3d11 processing level are know to be broken for 5000 series to bad you have this issue to.
Old 1st March 2021, 23:30   #24292  |  Link
clsid

@mzso
Make a screenshot after pressing Ctrl+J.
Use the new AMD bug reporting tool to submit a description of the problem. And everyone else that can reproduce it should do the same. AMD does seem to work hard on improving drivers lately. But the main reason why some bugs are not getting fixed is the lack of (enough) proper detailed reports.
clsid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2021, 05:46   #24293  |  Link
huhn

well i guess i just call them again and revive the over 1.5 year old ticket that got the answer "that doesn't seem important".
just hope other user here have more luck.
Old 2nd March 2021, 14:43   #24294  |  Link
Sven75

Does anybody have an idea what could be the reason for the "flickering" in videos exported from presentations in PowerPoint when played back in MPC-BE (1.5.6 and 1.5.7), MPC-HC (1.9.10) with DXVA cb or native, D3D11 selected in LAV while software decoding works as expected?

I uploaded a simple demo file as well as a screen capture of the problem showing on one of my computers here:
https://www.sendspace.com/filegroup/...OfJamwiq22IVnA

It also happens in VLC player, but it will run fine using e. g. ffplay.exe (current ffmpeg build - maybe not surprising if ffplay is using software decoding by default).

It happens on Intel UHD 620 and on nVidia RTX 2080 with up to date drivers, but not if QuickSync is selected on the UHD 620 and CUVID on the RTX 2080.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Sven75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2021, 15:16   #24295  |  Link
el Filou

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevcairiel View Post
You can turn off HW decoding simply for AVC, as indeed any mediocre CPU should be able to handle that.
There is a special use case where hardware decode of AVC can be useful even if the CPU can easily handle it and that is broadcast TV where the signal is sometimes wonky. The NVIDIA decoder especially is very good at gracefully handling errors in streams. I sometimes have very short dips of my TV signal, and when that happens HW decode is much better at not producing stutter, whereas software decode causes a big pause in the stream and it takes longer to get an image back. I don't know if mzso sometimes has issues with TV signal, but in my case it's useful and why I keep using hardware decode.
Old 2nd March 2021, 15:58   #24296  |  Link
VictorLS

@el Filou
What namely nVIDIA's HW acceleration the best in your case?
VictorLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2021, 16:24   #24297  |  Link
mzso

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkauff View Post
Nvidia Control Panel provides the option to deinterlace using Inverse Telecine. Doesn't AMD offer something similar?
How does that even function across the various renderers, decoders?

Quote:
Originally Posted by clsid View Post
@mzso
Make a screenshot after pressing Ctrl+J.
Use the new AMD bug reporting tool to submit a description of the problem. And everyone else that can reproduce it should do the same. AMD does seem to work hard on improving drivers lately. But the main reason why some bugs are not getting fixed is the lack of (enough) proper detailed reports.
But I don't know if it's an AMD bug. much less what exactly is happening.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klaus1189 View Post
My RX480 does proper HW deinterlacing and the RX580 should be also ok, isn't it ok?.
But with what renderer, or what circumstance? Obviously HW deinterlacing is done by the GPU. If it's initiated.
Old 2nd March 2021, 16:42   #24298  |  Link
huhn

you can read more about this here: https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=176013
Old 2nd March 2021, 16:47   #24299  |  Link
mzso

Quote:

I might work on deinterlacing d3d11 native streams in the future, but thats a project a bit further down the list, and I barely get time to work on these.
First I want to work on re-envigorating CUVID and soem Blu-ray demuxing improvements. But thats after the next release.
I didn't think of that. Can't remember coming across UHD AVC streams, so it shouldn't be a problem.
So I guess SW deinterlacing would be used by LAV as normal. Though YADIF does have its limitations (https://streamable.com/d8xrrk ) I think I can live with it.
Quote:
Oh well, whenever deinterlacing support happens, happens.
Old 2nd March 2021, 16:58   #24300  |  Link
el Filou

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictorLS View Post
@el Filou
What namely nVIDIA's HW acceleration the best in your case?
I don't think there is one that is best for every case, as each have limitations.
I use DXVA2 native for TV (smoother handling or errors in streams, better deinterlacing with madVR), DXVA2 copyback for SD/HD movies (no chroma loss with NVIDIA, allows madVR black bar detection to remove TV logos on 2.39 movies), and D3D11 native when I watch UHD (best performance and quality) which is not often.
I manually change between them with shortcuts to .reg files.
Quote:
How does that even function across the various renderers, decoders?
The graphics driver's IVTC functionality works when using hardware deinterlacing and is transparent (you won't know it is working or not without advancing frame by frame during playback). NVIDIA has a checkbox to enable/disable it but AMD has removed all video processing options in their control panel so I guess it's always on? One never knows with AMD these days without testing.
Quote:
So I guess SW deinterlacing would be used by LAV as normal. Though YADIF does have its limitations I think I can live with it.
If you use madVR, you can use hardware deinterlacing with software decoding, madVR will upload the frames to the GPU and then use DXVA deinterlacing. Of course this supposes your GPU drivers don't have bugs with deinterlacing.

Last edited by el Filou; 2nd March 2021 at 17:01.
el Filou is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
decoders, directshow, filters, splitter