Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 29th January 2022, 11:25   #62701  |  Link
huhn

without further notice they all have an exploration date until a different if not worse system will replace that.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2022, 02:11   #62702  |  Link
FabioMC

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclingo View Post
Hi, I dont think that is right, I have mine setup as follows.

ARC port on TV is connected to ARC port on receiver, then receiver input is connected to pc.
Are you having problems ?

Last edited by FabioMC; 30th January 2022 at 02:14.
FabioMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2022, 08:49   #62703  |  Link
sexus

Quote:
Originally Posted by huhn View Post
look up profiles.

vulkan is not plain faster than DX9.
it's different madVR uses mostly shader and these don't benefit massively from vulkan which uses a completely different shader language so everything has to be rewritten for most likely small gains at best.

there are reasons to do that for feature like dx12 or at least 11 but this is a lot of work.
cant figure out where to autoforce bt2020 without having to use a hotkey yet still, im talking bout forcing, also shame bout vulkan not working like that with shaders ....was just throwing out some ideas how to get more gains for rendering without quality loss, btw whys there no discord server yet for this place....im sure that would be pretty welcome , dont ya guys think? the forums are abit....archaic lol
sexus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2022, 11:43   #62704  |  Link
huhn

bt 2020 can be forced with nvidia cards and you can use a profile to do that automatically like with HDR force BT 20ß20 else use bt 709.
you fidn the option under calibration.

what does a discord give what a forum can't.

don't get the wrong idea this piece of software is not in the hight of it's development.
Old 30th January 2022, 14:35   #62705  |  Link
doffen

I think what sexus want to do is to load bt.709 files as bt.2020 files. This will of course make the blues bluer and the reds redder, but if that’s what he wants then why not?
I’m not sure how to do that with profiles. What I do is tick or untick the “send bt.2020” checkbox based on the files colourspace (not just if it’s hdr).
doffen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2022, 23:05   #62706  |  Link
mclingo

Quote:
Originally Posted by FabioMC View Post
Are you having problems ?
no its been like this for years
Old 31st January 2022, 00:23   #62707  |  Link
scollaco

Automatically switch projector to HDR mode using madVR?

Newb question:

I am on windows 10 and using madVR with MPC-BE. Is there a way to get madVR to trigger my JVC projector to switch to HDR mode when playing back a 4K HDR file? Is there something I need to name the file or anything else in windows that needs to be set? I'm using an intel NUC as my computer.

Sorry if this question has been asked a million times.
scollaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2022, 00:41   #62708  |  Link
FabioMC

Quote:
Originally Posted by scollaco View Post
Newb question:

I am on windows 10 and using madVR with MPC-BE. Is there a way to get madVR to trigger my JVC projector to switch to HDR mode when playing back a 4K HDR file? Is there something I need to name the file or anything else in windows that needs to be set? I'm using an intel NUC as my computer.

Sorry if this question has been asked a million times.
Open madVR settings, edit your active device and set "passthrough HDR to display" + "send HDR metadata to the display"
FabioMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2022, 01:02   #62709  |  Link
scollaco

Quote:
Originally Posted by FabioMC View Post
Open madVR settings, edit your active device and set "passthrough HDR to display" + "send HDR metadata to the display"
Thanks for the bit of info! Unfortunately that didn't work for me. Somehow the data is not being passed through to the JVC Projector to tell it to switch. The JVC Projector (NX7) is set to Auto mode but doesn't switch to HDR when using mpc-be, lav and madVR even though it works fine switching when I play Netflix 4K HDR using my Netflix App on the Samsung player. Is there something about windows 10 that is causing the issue perhaps?
Old 31st January 2022, 01:58   #62710  |  Link
huhn

your intel GPU most likely.
Old 31st January 2022, 02:23   #62711  |  Link
BDFan

scollaco
madVR does not support auto HDR for Intel GPUs.
madVR is long dead.
Use MPC Video Renderer or Kodi for this.
BDFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2022, 02:29   #62712  |  Link
scollaco

Thanks for the feedback. The Intel GPU is most likely the culprit then. Will try MPC Renderer to see if it makes a difference.

EDIT - Tried MPC Video Renderer and the HDR flag gets properly sent to the Projector and it switches. So the issue is likely as said Intel GPU and madVR issue. Since the Intel GPU with MPC Video Renderer passes it fine.

Last edited by scollaco; 31st January 2022 at 03:08.
Old 31st January 2022, 15:38   #62713  |  Link
sexus

Quote:
Originally Posted by doffen View Post
I think what sexus want to do is to load bt.709 files as bt.2020 files. This will of course make the blues bluer and the reds redder, but if that’s what he wants then why not?
I’m not sure how to do that with profiles. What I do is tick or untick the “send bt.2020” checkbox based on the files colourspace (not just if it’s hdr).
exactly this! would appreciate if this feature could be implemented without needing to press a force bt2020 hotkey
Old 31st January 2022, 16:05   #62714  |  Link
huhn

if you want to ruin your content by removing 50% or more information in it you just select bt709 and select report bt 2020.

you could also just run a shader that does this...
or 3D LUT or what ever.
Old 31st January 2022, 21:56   #62715  |  Link
el Filou

@sexus: I've replied to you a month ago with the solution to what (albeit ridiculous thing) you want to do: https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.p...97#post1960597
Old 1st February 2022, 16:03   #62716  |  Link
sexus

Rename your video file like this: "<video name> primaries=bt2020 matrix=bt2020.<extension>"

interesting ....there gotta be a better way to do this tho ....thats kinda ridiculous having to rename your files like that , thats the only way to force BT2020 besides using the hotkey? i hope not
Old 1st February 2022, 16:03   #62717  |  Link
sexus

Quote:
Originally Posted by huhn View Post
if you want to ruin your content by removing 50% or more information in it you just select bt709 and select report bt 2020.

you could also just run a shader that does this...
or 3D LUT or what ever.
that does not autoforce BT2020, tried that
Old 1st February 2022, 16:33   #62718  |  Link
scollaco

Intel GPU, madVR - make sure HDR is being played properly

Since I'm using an Intel GPU and madVR, what is the best way to make sure HDR is being played properly and handled by my JVC Projector?

What I have been doing is -
1) Setting madVR - "passthrough HDR to display"
2) Setting - "send HDR metadata to the display"
3) Manually switching my Projector to HDR mode since Intel GPU and madVR doesn't do automatic switching as I've been told.

Would the above steps be accurate?

I was in doubt because I was wondering - should I be switching the windows desktop manually to HDR on first? And then with the above settings in place will the correct data will be sent to the projector? I just want to make sure the correct data is being sent to the projector regardless if I have to manually switch certain things on either on the desktop or the projector.

Thanks for any input and advice.
Old 1st February 2022, 17:11   #62719  |  Link
DMU

Quote:
Originally Posted by scollaco View Post
I just want to make sure the correct data is being sent to the projector regardless if I have to manually switch certain things on either on the desktop or the projector.
Either way, incorrect metadata will be sent to the projector.
DMU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2022, 18:22   #62720  |  Link
scollaco

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMU View Post
Either way, incorrect metadata will be sent to the projector.
Is there any other solution/workaround available to me in my current setup?

Intel GPU (Intel Iris Plus 640)
madVR (v0.92.17)
JVC (NX7 Projector)

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling