Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 23rd December 2016, 12:46   #41681  |  Link
Neo-XP

@madshi Do you plan to enable the "add grain" enhancement for other image doublers than NGU in the next version ?

It is a really neat feature which subjectively increase the details of the image when upscaling SD content to FHD or 4K. I would like to use it with super-xbr.

Did you write the code yourself or is it a script/shader that you can share ?

Last edited by Neo-XP; 23rd December 2016 at 13:06.
Neo-XP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2016, 17:53   #41682  |  Link
cokeefe

Update on MadVR with my RX480

I'll be brief since I know this isn't the RX 480 support thread.

I was the one having blank screens and HDMI loss of handshake with MadVR on the RX480, mostly when it was under stress. Tried a clean reinstall of windows, several driver versions, etc. I also upgraded the 6-year-old 500W power supply to a new Seasonic unit in case the power delivery was off. Very disappointing because the card was bought specifically for MadVR and nothing else.

On further research, it seems these cards pull a ton of power from the PCI bus traces and some motherboards aren't up to it. I have an older Sandy Bridge MSI Z68 chipset board (PCIE2) with a 2500K processor and believe the board has trouble with this power draw.

At any rate, along with the new PSU and enabling the new ReLive driver's power saving fix (which apparently decreases PCIE power draw and increases draw from the 8 pin socket) MadVR has been flawless for several days.

I believe the reason these reports of problems with the RX 480 are so persistent for some, non-existent for others, and yet so hard to diagnose, revolves around this PCIE draw, and the multitude of motherboards out there.

I can now run NGU Med, upscaling 720p to 4K with DX11 fullscreen exclusive and default queue sizes with no drops. Fantastic!

Madshi, thank you again for your work. NGU is the best thing that's happened to my HTPC in quite some time.

Last edited by cokeefe; 23rd December 2016 at 17:58.
cokeefe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2016, 19:04   #41683  |  Link
Neo-XP

Is the anti-bloating gone for good for super-xbr doubling ? I use it at only 25% and it does a pretty good job in reducing ringing and dark halos.
Neo-XP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2016, 21:16   #41684  |  Link
Oguignant

about the settings RGB or YCbCr444

Hi,

I use this setting for HDMI 2.0 to my TV LG OLED.

NV control panel.
(adjust desktop color settings)
digital color formet = YCbCr444
content type reported to display = full screen videos.
(adjust video color settings)
Video settings = Let player control.

LAV video decoder.
(output formats)
All (without) AYUV
(rgb output levels)
untouched.

madVR
(display properties)
RGB output levels = PC levels (0-255)
Display Bitdepth = 10 bit or higher

Are these options correct? Or is it better to use RGB for NV Control Panel and TV Levels on MadVr Display properties?

I always thought that as the source is YCbCr, It was best to use YCbCr444...

Thank you!
Old 23rd December 2016, 23:06   #41685  |  Link
fedpul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oguignant View Post
Hi,

I use this setting for HDMI 2.0 to my TV LG OLED.

NV control panel.
(adjust desktop color settings)
digital color formet = YCbCr444
content type reported to display = full screen videos.
(adjust video color settings)
Video settings = Let player control.

LAV video decoder.
(output formats)
All (without) AYUV
(rgb output levels)
untouched.

madVR
(display properties)
RGB output levels = PC levels (0-255)
Display Bitdepth = 10 bit or higher

Are these options correct? Or is it better to use RGB for NV Control Panel and TV Levels on MadVr Display properties?

I always thought that as the source is YCbCr, It was best to use YCbCr444...

Thank you!
Hi, you should set RGB in NV Control Panel. And the selection of TV Levels vs PC Levels depends on what you have set in NV Control Panel. I use the full chain in RGB full because I also use the TV as a PC monitor.

Enviado desde mi MI 4LTE mediante Tapatalk
fedpul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2016, 23:52   #41686  |  Link
Oguignant

Quote:
Originally Posted by fedpul View Post
Hi, you should set RGB in NV Control Panel. And the selection of TV Levels vs PC Levels depends on what you have set in NV Control Panel. I use the full chain in RGB full because I also use the TV as a PC monitor.

Enviado desde mi MI 4LTE mediante Tapatalk
Yes, that's what they told me. But, is not it better to use ycbcr 444? I do not use it for games, just for movies. why it is better rgb? if the movies are ycbcr...

Last edited by Oguignant; 24th December 2016 at 00:16.
Oguignant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2016, 00:24   #41687  |  Link
Shiandow

Quote:
Yes, that's what they told me. But, is not it better to use ycbcr 444? I do not use it for games, just for movies. why it is better rgb? if the movies are ycbcr...
The screen can only display RGB (it has to, YCbCr isn't physically possible), so if you output RGB you can let MadVR do all the colour processing. Otherwise you just have to hope the TV handles the conversion from YCbCr to RGB correctly.
Shiandow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2016, 00:45   #41688  |  Link
Oguignant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiandow View Post
The screen can only display RGB (it has to, YCbCr isn't physically possible), so if you output RGB you can let MadVR do all the colour processing. Otherwise you just have to hope the TV handles the conversion from YCbCr to RGB correctly.
I do not see any difference in colors using rgb or YCbCr444... I think it does the conversion correctkt. Watch these screen shot, they are with the LG app, capture the TV screen as I see it.

You see any difference?

RGB

YCbCr444
Old 24th December 2016, 01:10   #41689  |  Link
Shiandow

There are some differences (try switching back and forth between the two images, focus on the red areas). Hard to tell which is better at this point (especially from such small images), but my money is on MadVR.
Old 24th December 2016, 01:15   #41690  |  Link
Oguignant

Quote:
There are some differences (try switching back and forth between the two images, focus on the red areas). Hard to tell which is better at this point (especially from such small images), but my money is on MadVR.
Try whit direct link

http://i.imgur.com/83pFnib.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/isoW642.jpg
Old 24th December 2016, 01:24   #41691  |  Link
Oguignant

Quote:
Anyway, I'll start using rgb / full. The color setting is the same on my tv.

In Lav video decoder settings, RGB output levels: untouched or PC Levels 0-255?
Old 24th December 2016, 01:55   #41692  |  Link
Shiandow

You can leave LAV's output levels on 'untouched', although as far as I know LAV shouldn't ever have to pass through TV-level RGB to MadVR anyway.
Old 24th December 2016, 02:00   #41693  |  Link
Oguignant

Quote:
You can leave LAV's output levels on 'untouched', although as far as I know LAV shouldn't ever have to pass through TV-level RGB to MadVR anyway.
Well, I'll start using rgb from now on.
Old 24th December 2016, 03:03   #41694  |  Link
Asmodian

Quote:
Well, I'll start using rgb from now on.
I just want to add that madVR always outputs RGB so if you set YCbCr output the GPU does a conversion and then the display convets it to RGB again.
Old 24th December 2016, 03:11   #41695  |  Link
Oguignant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmodian View Post
I just want to add that madVR always outputs RGB so if you set YCbCr output the GPU does a conversion and then the display convets it to RGB again.
TV always convert any signal to RGB? When I watch a bluray by hdmi also the signal is converted to RGB too?
Old 24th December 2016, 03:26   #41696  |  Link
Shiandow

Quote:
TV always convert any signal to RGB? When I watch a bluray by hdmi also the signal is converted to RGB too?
Somewhere along the line, yeah. In the end the TV only has red blue and green pixels. It's not actually physically possible to display YCbCr.
Old 24th December 2016, 03:56   #41697  |  Link
Oguignant

Quote:
Somewhere along the line, yeah. In the end the TV only has red blue and green pixels. It's not actually physically possible to display YCbCr.
I always use ycbcr because I thought it gave better colors and contrast with yellow, cyan and magenta compared to red, green and blue...

And as madvr said that nv12 8bits 4.2.0 , I thought that was the output format ...

My TV has RGBA subpixel, does anyone know what it is?
Old 24th December 2016, 05:29   #41698  |  Link
Q-the-STORM

Oguignant: in madVR set PC Levels
in nvidia set RGB full range
in LG set Black Level to high, HDMI input icon to PC and HDMI Ultra HD Colour to On...
that will give you the least amount of conversions and all conversions will be done by madVR and not nvidia or LG...
Q-the-STORM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2016, 08:11   #41699  |  Link
Oguignant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q-the-STORM View Post
Oguignant: in madVR set PC Levels
in nvidia set RGB full range
in LG set Black Level to high, HDMI input icon to PC and HDMI Ultra HD Colour to On...
that will give you the least amount of conversions and all conversions will be done by madVR and not nvidia or LG...
@Q-the-STORM I understood. it is exactly how I have my Tv and madvr settings. It is logical to use RGB, because madvr does the conversion to RGB.
But, I really do not see a difference using RGB or ycbcr444. I compared many movies and I can not perceive differences in colors, black or shadows. In fact, I use the same color calibrations in both.

I thought rgb was used with PC monitors and ycbcr444 was for Tv.

Last edited by Oguignant; 24th December 2016 at 08:22.
Oguignant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2016, 11:02   #41700  |  Link
e-t172

Quote:
A Blu-ray player will typically output YCbCr (directly from the decoded video stream) over HDMI. The TV does the YCbCr → RGB conversion.

Internally, a PC GPU works in RGB only. A PC will typically output RGB over HDMI. The TV just passes its through (hopefully) untouched.

If you enable YCbCr output in your GPU driver settings, the GPU will output YCbCr over HDMI. But internally, it still works in RGB. So what's going to happen is that the GPU will internally convert RGB to YCbCr, then send it over HDMI, then the TV will convert YCbCr back to RGB. The double conversion is pointless, and is likely to degrade quality (especially if there's chroma subsampling going on, or the PC and the TV disagree about which matrix to use).

Putting it all together, here's what happens when using madVR:

GPU driver configured to output RGB: LAV decoder output (YCbCr) → madVR (converts from YCbCr to RGB) → HDMI output (RGB) → TV (RGB)

GPU driver configured to output YCbCr: LAV decoder output (YCbCr) → madVR (converts from YCbCr to RGB) → HDMI output (converts from RGB to YCbCr) → TV (converts from YCbCr to RGB)

Hopefully you can see now that the second configuration doesn't make a ton of sense!

Last edited by e-t172; 24th December 2016 at 11:10.
e-t172 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling