Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Programming and Hacking > Development

Old 28th April 2017, 17:41   #1441  |  Link
lvqcl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romario View Post
But please look my image in attachment.
"Attachments Pending Approval" is all I can see
lvqcl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2017, 17:46   #1442  |  Link
mariush

I can't view the attachment because attachments have to be reviewed by moderators and approved before people can see them. Use websites like imgur.com to upload pictures if you feel like to.

But to answer your question:

Intel 7700k has a default frequency of 4.2 Ghz and boosts up to 4.5 Ghz if only a few of the four cores are used.
AMD 1800x has a default frequency of 3.6 Ghz and boosts up to 4 Ghz if only a few of the eight cores are used.

As LAME mp3 encoder only uses older instructions sets (mmx, sse) which are pretty much same speed on both architectures, we can concentrate just on the frequency of the processors.
Since the encoder is mostly single threaded, we can assume only one core or at most two cores will have some usage, so the Intel 7700k will run those cores at 4.5 Ghz and the Ryzen 1800x will run those cores at 4 Ghz. So naturally, if 7700k is considered the default speed (100%) , then ryzen 1800x should have about 89% the performance of the Intel cpu:

4.5 ghz ... 100%
4 ghz ... ? %

? % = 4 x 100 / 4.5 = 88.%

Naturally, there are minute (very small) differences in the execution speed of those assembly instructions and there may be some differentiators between systems that affect the speed very little (like ddr4 ram frequency for example)

The point is you would see the performance difference if you encode multiple audio tracks at the same time, so that all cores would be used.
Rip an audio CD to uncompress WAV files using Exact Audio Copy and optionally (if you don't have a SSD) create a RAM Disk using software like ImDisk Ramdisk (freeware) ... you don't want the mechanical drive affect the encoding speed when you read 10-20 audio files from the hard drive at the same time.

With a 7700k processor, since it has 4 cores and 8 threads, you can realistically encode around 10-12 audio files at the same time, before individual encoders would begin to wait for processor time. Let's go with 10.
On the 1800x processor, since it has 8 cores and 16 threads, we could realistically go with around 20 simultaneous encodings at the same time.
Both processors will have all cores used at the same time, so they won't boost (often) to their maximum frequencies, so let's assume the Intel cpu would run at 4.2 Ghz and the AMD cpu would run at 3.6 Ghz.

No you have

10 x 4.2 ghz ---- 100 %
20 x 3.6 ghz ----- ? %

? % = 20 x 3.6 x 100 % / ( 10 x 4.2) = 2 x 3.6 x 100 / 4.2 = 171.42%

So as long as you'll keep all the cores on the Ryzen 1800x busy encoding up to 20 individual audio tracks at the same time, you may get almost 1.5x-2x the performance compared to the 7700k

Of course, these are just assumptions, you'd have to test it yourself if you have access to two such systems.
mariush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2017, 17:47   #1443  |  Link
Romario

Location: Qetchua mountains in Peru, and Klingon battlecruiser D'Mar
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvqcl View Post
"Attachments Pending Approval" is all I can see
Well I see my attachment without any problem. Strange...

Edit: https://ibb.co/c87xT5 ( this is my attacment )

Last edited by Romario; 28th April 2017 at 18:05.
Romario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2017, 13:34   #1444  |  Link
Atak_Snajpera
RipBot264 author

You expect to much from Zen in single threaded applications. IPC is not that great in single thread! ALU table clearly shows that Zen loves when you throw multiple tasks on execution units.
So Ryzen optimization is simple. Keep all cores busy at all time!

Last edited by Atak_Snajpera; 29th April 2017 at 13:45.
Atak_Snajpera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2017, 15:00   #1445  |  Link
Romario

How can I use optimised lame 3.99.5 builds? While LameXP doesn't allow to change which lame build I use.

Sent from my LG-P880
Old 3rd May 2017, 16:36   #1446  |  Link
manolito

It is still possible to use custom builds of the LameXP built-in tools (even if the manual does not mention it).

From the older LameXP FAQ:
Quote:
Is there a way to use custom tools (binaries) with LameXP instead of the "built-in" ones?

LameXP uses a number third-party tools. All of these tools are already "built-in" (with a few exceptions) and
thus it is NOT required to provide separate binaries. Usually it will NOT be necessary to replace any of
the "built-in" tools with a custom (user-provided) binary. If, however, you need to replace/update/downgrade
one of the binaries for a good reason, the recommended method is re-building LameXP from the sources. If you
don't know how to build LameXP from the sources, then you probably shouldn't be trying to replace the binary.

Having said that, there now is a more convenient method for using a custom tool version (binary) instead of
the "built-in" one. This method works WITHOUT re-building LameXP. However note that the following is intended
for testing and debugging purposes only! Also note that LameXP was specifically designed to work with the
"built-in" versions of the tools. It may not work properly or may not work at all with custom tool versions!

In order to replace a "built-in" binary, simply put the user-provided binary to the following location:
<install_folder>\tools\<build_number>\<tool_name>.exe
If, for example, you want to replace 'lame.exe' in Build #666 of LameXP, you would put it to the this path:
C:\Path to your LameXP install folder\tools\666\lame.exe
(It is intended that the '<build_number>' part of the path has to be adjusted with every update of LameXP)

Cheers
manolito
manolito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2017, 20:10   #1447  |  Link
LoRd_MuldeR
Software Developer

Quote:
Can you please optimize your fantastic program for AMD Ryzen arhitecture ? Can you do it before final version come ? Thank you.

Is there any audio codec, at the moment, being optimized for Ryzen ?

As ilustration, look at this image in my attachment, please
Development of LAME is pretty much dead. So don't expect any optimizations for "new" processors any time soon

Having said that, there is no "magic" optimization that would make LAME run a lot faster on Zen architecture all of a sudden! Yes, LAME could probably benefit from using "modern" instruction set extensions, such as AVX or AVX2 – at the moment the assembler code in LAME only uses the SSE and SSE2 extensions – but this "problem" is not specific to the Zen architecture at all. TTBOMK, the Zen architecture did not even introduce a new instruction set extension.

The reason why Ryzen 1800X performs relatively "bad" with LAME mp3 encoder is because LAME – just like most audio encoders – is completely single-threaded. And, given the current state of LAME development, I doubt this is ever going to change. Furthermore, it is well known that single-core performance still is the "weak spot" of the Zen architecture (compared to Intel Core i7 processors), even though things have been improved quite a lot since Bulldozer architecture.

As others have pointed out: You will need to run many LAME instances in parallel to take full advantage of a Ryzen processor with 16 logic cores – which is exactly what LameXP does

Quote:
Well I see my attachment without any problem. Strange...
Attachments need to be approved by a mod, before other users can see/access them. I wasn't close to a computer in the last couple of days, so I couldn't approve it until now.

Quote:
How can I use optimised lame 3.99.5 builds? While LameXP doesn't allow to change which lame build I use.
You can make LameXP use a custom build of LAME by putting your custom binary at the proper place, just like it is described in the F.A.Q. article that manolito quoted (not ported to new manual yet).

Don't expect any wonders, though! LameXP already ships with up-to-date binaries of LAME 3.100 Alpha – including 64-Bit build with AVX compiler-optimizations enabled. The "best" build is automatically selected, based on the CPU's capabilities.

Note: Those compiler optimizations have a lesser effect on performance. That's because all the "hot" functions, where the vast majority of the CPU time is spent, already are written as hand-optimized assembler code...

Last edited by LoRd_MuldeR; 3rd May 2017 at 21:30.
LoRd_MuldeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2017, 22:28   #1448  |  Link
Romario

How you optimised these LAME builds ? With ICL15 or newest MSCS 2017 ?

While ICL work always much better on Intel processors.
Old 3rd May 2017, 22:33   #1449  |  Link
LoRd_MuldeR
Software Developer

Quote:
How you optimised these LAME builds ? With ICL15 or newest MSCS 2017 ?

While ICL work always much better on Intel processors.
ICL, whatever version was up-to-date when I last built LAME.

Note that ICL has an option to add an "optimized" code path (for all compatible processors, including AMD) and a separate option to "optimize" specifically for Intel processors (potentially breaking the binary for Non-Intel processors).

I always use the former

But, as said before, those compiler optimizations have a lesser effect! All the "hot" code, where ~99% of the CPU time is spent, is hand-optimized assembler code that will not be effected by compiler optimizations at all.

Last edited by LoRd_MuldeR; 3rd May 2017 at 22:39.
Old 3rd May 2017, 22:46   #1450  |  Link
Romario

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoRd_MuldeR View Post
ICL, whatever version was up-to-date when I last built LAME.

Note that ICL has an option to add an "optimized" code path (for all compatible processors, including AMD) and a separate option to "optimize" specifically for Intel processors (potentially breaking the binary for Non-Intel processors).

I always use the former

But, as said before, those compiler optimizations have a lesser effect! All the "hot" code, where ~99% of the CPU time is spent, is hand-optimized assembler code that will not be effected by compiler optimizations at all.
Very good, thanks.

And what about other audio encoders ? What is the situation ? Is there any actively development for OGG, or AAC codecs, with plan for future optimisations ? Can you, please, give me most optimised binarys ?
Old 3rd May 2017, 22:58   #1451  |  Link
LoRd_MuldeR
Software Developer

Again: Most audio encoders already contain hand-optimized assembler code for the "hot" functions, i.e. the functions where like ~99% of the work is done.

If a particular audio encoder contains optimized assembler code for your CPU, then the encoder will automatically enable/use the optimized assembler code on your system – that is regardless of what compiler or compiler settings were used to compile the plain C/C++ code. If, on the other hand, a particular audio encoder does not contain optimized assembler code for your CPU, then there is nothing I could do about that. You'd have to ask the developer of the particular encoder

All that I can do is change the compiler settings that are used to compile the plain C/C++ code. But, as pointed out several times, this has a lesser effect on the overall performance, compared to the assembler stuff...

(That plus: I already create "generic", "sse2" and "avx" builds of the encoders and LameXP will invoke the appropriate one on each system)

Last edited by LoRd_MuldeR; 3rd May 2017 at 23:08.
Old 3rd May 2017, 23:05   #1452  |  Link
mariush

Dude, people told you already in several threads, there's very little optimizations to be done when it comes to audio... and whatever optimizations are already in such programs, they work pretty much the same on Intel and AMD processors.

Whatever "improvements" you would do on audio encoders, it would only increase the speed by a few percentages at best, and nobody cares to invest a huge amount of time for so little benefit .
If you encode the audio track of a 2 hour movie in 10x real time speed (so basically finishing compression in 10 minutes), nobody cares to optimize some software to finish the job in 9 minutes and 30 seconds.

Nobody cares about OGG anymore, it's as good as "deprecated". It's replaced by Opus which is free and open source and produces better quality than MP3 or AAC at majority - if not all - of audio bitrates .
AAC is still worth using because it's used in DVDs and has good compatibility it's often used by Youtube and Apple for streaming audio. Whatever improvements you'd get between different codec versions would probably be psycho-achoustics (as in how to modify the sound to throw out some data for better compression, while tricking your ears into thinking it sounds good)

AC3 is old enough to have its patents expired so you don't have to pay licenses for it, MP3 also expired recently if I'm not mistaken, but the quality of AC3 is not better than MP3... not worth wasting time improving encoding speeds when there's something else better.

If you want something fast and best quality for a music collection, just use FLAC for archival and Opus for listening daily. Use a player like foobar2k and you'll be fine. And if you have a music player, try and see if Rockbox supports your player: https://www.rockbox.org/

If you need speed at compressing FLAC, encode multiple tracks at same time, or use Cuetools.FLAC encoder that can use OpenCL and your video card to compress audio super fast.

Forget about MP3.
mariush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2017, 15:35   #1453  |  Link
quitemice

Will there be a Linux version?

It is been said that you would consider a native Linux version but this is been a while back.

So the simple question is are you still thinking about this?

I don't have the knowledge to do it myself or help you with that though.

I recently switched to Linux and thought it would be very nice

I know, i can use wine to run it
quitemice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2017, 19:17   #1454  |  Link
LoRd_MuldeR
Software Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by quitemice View Post
It is been said that you would consider a native Linux version but this is been a while back.

So the simple question is are you still thinking about this?

I don't have the knowledge to do it myself or help you with that though.

I recently switched to Linux and thought it would be very nice

I know, i can use wine to run it
It is still possible, because LameXP is written in C++ and based on the Qt cross-platform framework. However, it is unlikely to happen anytime soon, because:
  1. I have a full-time job
  2. Currently, LameXP is compiled with Visual C++ compiler. On Linux we'd have to compile it with GCC or LLVM. While, in theory, all C++ compilers should be "compatible", because they implement the same standard, in reality there always are some differences between compilers that will break your code. So, code that was developed and tested on Visual C++ will certainly require various fixes/workarounds to compile with GCC or LLVM.
  3. Currently, LameXP is built with MSBuild (Visual Studio), which is not an option for Linux. So, in order to build LameXP on Linux we'd have write Makefiles first. Or we'd have to use something like CMake.
  4. While LameXP is based on the Qt framework and most of the code should be perfectly cross-platform, there is also quite some Windows-specific code that uses the Win32 API. Of course, I keep that Windows-specific code separate from the rest, mostly encapsulated in the MUtils library. Still, for any Windows-specific function I'd either have to write a Linux equivalent or find a workaround to get a long without that function.
  5. Currently, all encoders and decoders are included in LameXP as pre-compiled binaries. On Windows, this is necessary, because Windows doesn't ship with the required audio encoders/decoders or a way to get them easily. Also most Windows users don't have a clue how to compile stuff by themselves. But, on Linux, providing pre-compiled binaries is not feasible. Linux binaries generally work only on the same distribution where they have been compiled. So, instead, we'd have to install the required encoder and decoder binaries from the individual distribution's repository. Or have the user compile them. In any case, a lot of things need to change in how encoder/decoder binaries are invoked.

Last edited by LoRd_MuldeR; 4th May 2017 at 22:34.
Old 8th May 2017, 21:30   #1455  |  Link
LoRd_MuldeR
Software Developer

LameXP v4.15 Beta-8

Quote:
Changes between v4.14 and v4.15 [*unreleased*]:
* Fixed a bug in auto-rename feature, that caused problems when a meta-tag contained path separators
* Fixed included MediaInfo binary not working on processor without SSE2 support
* Improved file name generation from meta-tags containing characters that are forbidden in file names
* Some improvements for "high DPI" screens: Adjust initial window size according to DPI setting
* Updated Opus encoder/decoder libraries to v1.2-alpha2 (2017-05-05) and Opus-Tools to v0.1.10 (2017-02-22)
* Updated MediaInfo to v0.7.95 (2017-05-04), compiled with ICL 17.0 and MSVC 12.0
* Updated SoX to v14.4.2 (2015-02-22) with Dynamic Audio Normalizer v2.10 (2017-04-14) effect included
* Updated mpg123 decoder to v1.24.0 (2017-03-02), compiled with GCC 6.3.0
* Updated FAAD decoder to v2.7 from CVS in order to include latest libFAAD fixes (2016-11-11)
* Updated Monkey's Audio binary to v4.25 (2017-03-12), compiled with ICL 17.0 and MSVC 14.0
* Some tweaks to the auto-update function in order to speed-up the update check in most situations

Last edited by LoRd_MuldeR; 14th May 2017 at 15:32.
Old 14th May 2017, 15:32   #1456  |  Link
LoRd_MuldeR
Software Developer

LameXP v4.15 RC-1

Quote:
* Fixed a bug in auto-rename feature, that caused problems when a meta-tag contained path separators
* Improved file name generation from meta-tags containing characters that are forbidden in file names
* Some improvements for "high DPI" screens: Adjust initial window size according to DPI setting
* Updated Opus encoder/decoder libraries to v1.2-alpha2 (2017-05-05) and Opus-Tools to v0.1.10 (2017-02-22)
* Updated MediaInfo to v0.7.95 (2017-05-04), compiled with ICL 17.0 and MSVC 12.0
* Updated SoX to v14.4.2 (2015-02-22) with Dynamic Audio Normalizer v2.10 (2017-04-14) effect included
* Updated FAAD decoder to v2.7 from CVS in order to include latest libFAAD fixes (2016-11-11)
* Updated Monkey's Audio binary to v4.25 (2017-03-12), compiled with ICL 17.0 and MSVC 14.0
* Some tweaks to the auto-update function in order to speed-up the update check in most situations

Last edited by LoRd_MuldeR; 28th May 2017 at 20:12.
Old 28th May 2017, 20:12   #1457  |  Link
LoRd_MuldeR
Software Developer

LameXP v4.15 RC-2

Quote:
* Updated Opus encoder/decoder libraries to v1.2-beta (2017-05-26) and Opus-Tools to v0.1.10 (2017-05-25)

Last edited by LoRd_MuldeR; 31st May 2017 at 21:47.
Old 31st May 2017, 21:47   #1458  |  Link
LoRd_MuldeR
Software Developer

LameXP v4.15 Final
https://github.com/lordmulder/LameXP/releases/latest

Quote:
Changes between v4.14 and v4.15 [2017-05-31]:
* Updated Opus encoder/decoder libraries to v1.2-beta (2017-05-26) and Opus-Tools to v0.1.10 (2017-05-25)
* Updated language files (big thank-you to all contributors !!!)
Old 17th August 2017, 23:54   #1459  |  Link
LoRd_MuldeR
Software Developer

LameXP v4.16 Alpha-3

Quote:
Changes between v4.15 and v4.16 [*unreleased*]:
* Upgraded build environment to Microsoft Visual Studio 2017 with Update-2
* Updated Opus encoder/decoder libraries to v1.2.1 (2017-07-26) and Opus-Tools to v0.1.10 (2017-05-25)
* Updated MediaInfo to v0.7.98 (2017-08-08), compiled with ICL 17.0 and MSVC 12.0
* Some improvements to output file name generation code

Last edited by LoRd_MuldeR; 15th September 2017 at 21:56.
Old 30th August 2017, 14:16   #1460  |  Link
cindernat

Issue with certain folders

First of all, great program - thank you so much.

One issue I'm having is when I am doing a batch conversion, for any folder that has files in its root directory plus additional folders, the additional folders are ignored.

EG: Within Artist A's folder, I have 3 albums and 4 single tracks (single tracks existing in that artist's root directory). In this scenario, only the single tracks are converted and the 3 album folders are skipped.

Yet Artist B, who only has album folders within their folder and no single tracks, nothing is skipped and all converted.

I hope that makes sense.

Anyone else had this occur?
cindernat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aac, aotuv, flac, lame, lamexp, mp3, mp4, ogg, oggenc, opus, vorbis