Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Programming and Hacking > Development

Old 22nd May 2019, 21:35   #1601  |  Link
LoRd_MuldeR
Software Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stax76 View Post
At 288 DPI none of your apps are usable.
What do you mean with "usable"?

The highest "scaling" setting Windows allows me to select with my frumpy "Full HD" screen is 175% (probably equivalent to 168 DPI), and even with that setting I can see no serious problems with that setting:

https://i.imgur.com/pd5EebK.png

(expect maybe that the icons appear a bit small compared to the fonts)
Old 22nd May 2019, 21:46   #1602  |  Link
stax76

Win 7 supports 288 DPI.

https://postimg.cc/LJ275HJS
stax76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2019, 21:55   #1603  |  Link
LoRd_MuldeR
Software Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stax76 View Post
Win 7 supports 288 DPI.

https://postimg.cc/LJ275HJS
Is that Windows 10, or is that Windows 7 with some "Windows 10 Lookalike" theme?

Anyways, I think Windows 10 made some improvements on "High DPI" support compared to Windows 7. Looks pretty "okay" to me with Windows 10 and the "175%" settings:
https://i.imgur.com/YAbzk8x.png

Last edited by LoRd_MuldeR; 22nd May 2019 at 21:58.
LoRd_MuldeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2019, 22:04   #1604  |  Link
stax76

It's Win 10 (bought for 6,50 € on eBay).
Old 22nd May 2019, 22:37   #1605  |  Link
stax76

400 % zoom

https://postimg.cc/fSfS5jDJ
Old 23rd May 2019, 01:17   #1606  |  Link
stax76

For StaxRip rendering font symbols into bitmaps at run time has been working out well, fonts are vector graphics based I guess.

mkvtoolnix gui which is also qt based uses images, it does run time scaling I would guess, it looks OK:

https://postimg.cc/LJ7Bvd3D

Last edited by stax76; 23rd May 2019 at 03:02.
Old 26th May 2019, 07:57   #1607  |  Link
MrVideo

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoRd_MuldeR View Post
Have you looked at CUETools yet?
I have now. What I don't like is that I can't set the output directory path to be the same path as to where the cue file comes from.

I've found the forum and will post a query there about this issue.
MrVideo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2019, 08:04   #1608  |  Link
MrVideo

Redoes previously encoded files

I noticed that if I extract the audio from a flac cue file and recode the extracted WAV files to FLAC and then do another cue file, the audio files from the first cue file are done again, resulting in song (2).flac files.

Instead of doing that, might I suggest that the user is warned that such-n-such file has already been encoded and then get shown these typical four options: No - No to all - Yes - Yes to all

Yes, the easiest way around this is to clear the list before doing the next one. But, if you forget, there is no way out of it. Just a user friendly suggestion.
MrVideo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2019, 15:11   #1609  |  Link
LoRd_MuldeR
Software Developer

LameXP v4.18 Beta-4

Quote:
Changes between v4.17 and v4.18 [unreleased]:
* Upgraded build environment to Microsoft Visual Studio 2017.9 (MSVC 14.16)
* Updated Opus encoder/decoder libraries to v1.3.1 (2019-04-14) and Opus-Tools to v0.2+3 (2018-10-16)
* Updated Vorbis encoder to OggEnc v2.88 (2018-11-14), using libvorbis v1.3.6 with aoTuV b6.03 (2018)
* Updated FLAC encoder/decoder to v1.3.2+ Git (2018-09-19), compiled with ICL 19.0 and MSVC 14.16
* Updated Monkey's Audio binary to v4.73 (2019-05-15), compiled with ICL 19.0 and MSVC 14.16
* Updated mpg123 decoder to v1.25.10 (2018-03-05) and added 64-Bit binaries, compiled with GCC 8.2.1
* Updated MediaInfo to v19.04 (2019-04-23), compiled with ICL 19.0 and MSVC 14.16
* Fixed encoding with Nero AAC encoder for input sampling rate less than 8 KHz or greater than 96 KHz

Last edited by LoRd_MuldeR; 18th December 2019 at 22:14.
Old 24th July 2019, 08:29   #1610  |  Link
Gravitator

Привет!
Is it possible to force the output format *.aac? FDK, QAAC gives *.mp4
Old 24th July 2019, 19:03   #1611  |  Link
LoRd_MuldeR
Software Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravitator View Post
Привет!
Is it possible to force the output format *.aac? FDK, QAAC gives *.mp4
The correct file extension for AAC stored in MP4 container, which is what all encoders create (by default), is ".mp4".

You can use the "Advanced Options" → "Rename Output Files" → "File Extensions" feature of LameXP in order to rename the files from ".mp4" to ".aac", but the content of the file would still be AAC stored in MP4 container!

If ADTS (Audio Data Transport Stream) format is what you desire, then you can try to use QAAC encoder and manually add the "--adts" option to "Custom Encoder Parameters".

Last edited by LoRd_MuldeR; 24th July 2019 at 21:20.
Old 25th July 2019, 13:42   #1612  |  Link
Gravitator

Thanks! It turned out that it is better to change to *.mp4a (Jet Audio does not see a simple *.mp4).
Is there a cover shutdown?
The option of the AAC encoder is available > check the availability of the update > sometimes I get a connection error with the server (maintenance at night?)> reboot LameXP v4.17 Final - AAC is blocked (unlocking occurs after a successful connection with the server).
Old 25th July 2019, 19:15   #1613  |  Link
LoRd_MuldeR
Software Developer

Quote:
Is there a cover shutdown?

Quote:
The option of the AAC encoder is available > check the availability of the update > sometimes I get a connection error with the server (maintenance at night?)> reboot LameXP v4.17 Final - AAC is blocked (unlocking occurs after a successful connection with the server).
Are you referring to the LameXP "auto-update" feature?

Well, I have to rely on a bunch of "free" web-hosting offerings, which can be slow or even unavailable at peak times. Therefore, LameXP has a built-in list of many update mirrors. It will continue to pick a random mirror from the list until it has found a "working" one. That is why you may see individual mirrors fail, but sooner or later the update check should always succeed.

Anyhow, I don't see how all that is related to AAC encoders! If LameXP finds a supported AAC encoder in its install directory during startup, then the AAC encoding option will be enabled. Otherwise it won't. That's it

(Launch LameXP with option "--console" for more details)

Last edited by LoRd_MuldeR; 25th July 2019 at 19:17.
Old 26th July 2019, 14:44   #1614  |  Link
Gravitator

Quote:
Delete album image

Quote:
Are you referring to the LameXP "auto-update" feature?
Disabled.

Quote:
Anyhow, I don't see how all that is related to AAC encoders! If LameXP finds a supported AAC encoder in its install directory during startup, then the AAC encoding option will be enabled. Otherwise it won't. That's it
The check at the AAC encoders was skipped! In the folder were enc_fhgaac.dll, fdkaac.exe, fhgaacenc.exe, qaac64.exe

Last edited by Gravitator; 26th July 2019 at 14:47.
Gravitator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2019, 23:13   #1615  |  Link
LoRd_MuldeR
Software Developer

Quote:
The check at the AAC encoders was skipped! In the folder were enc_fhgaac.dll, fdkaac.exe, fhgaacenc.exe, qaac64.exe
Again, not quite sure what you mean

To make it clear again: LameXP looks for one of the supported AAC encoder in its install directory at startup. If and only if a supported AAC encoder is found, then AAC encoding support will be enabled. Otherwise it won't.

Note that if multiple encoders are available, then QAAC takes precedence over FDKAAC, FDKAAC takes precedence over FhgAacEnc, and FhgAacEnc takes precedence over NeroAAC.

(As said before, launch LameXP with option "--console" to get more details)
Old 27th July 2019, 01:48   #1616  |  Link
manolito

Quote:
Note that if multiple encoders are available, then QAAC takes precedence over FDKAAC, FDKAAC takes precedence over FhgAacEnc, and FhgAacEnc takes precedence over NeroAAC.
Interesting...
What are these "precedence" decisions based upon? Audible encoding quality?

I think there is general consent that QAAC beats all its competitors, but FDKAAC above FhgAacEnc? Highly questionable. And NeroAAC getting the red lantern is also disputable. At least at "normal" bitrates it is certainly every bit as good as the Fraunhofer offerings.

Just my two cents...
manolito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2019, 12:32   #1617  |  Link
LoRd_MuldeR
Software Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by manolito View Post
Interesting...
What are these "precedence" decisions based upon? Audible encoding quality?
Inspired by listening tests (e.g. see here)

As you say, most people seem to agree that QAAC (Apple AAC) is superior these days. And Nero AAC consistently takes the last place, when compared to QAAC and FhG AAC.

Not quite sure about "FhG" flavors (FDKAAC vs. FhgAacEnc). But considering that FDKAAC is available as OpenSource, whereas the FhgAacEnc DLL needs to be "exfiltrated" from old versions of Winamp and hasn't been updated in years...

Anyhow, the precedence is not all that important! It's only needed for conflict resolution, if more than one encoder happens to be present.

LameXP will always show what encoder it is using, on the "Compression" tab. You can easily correct things, if it is not using the intended AAC encoder. Just install whatever AAC encoder you wish to use, and that's it

Last edited by LoRd_MuldeR; 27th July 2019 at 12:39.
Old 30th July 2019, 02:55   #1618  |  Link
T-Hawk

I have been using LameXP to convert a bunch of wav files to mp3. I noticed that it appears to be assigning a track volume. I am not sure why it is doing this since I don't have normalization checked and haven't changed any of the default settings.

I converted a test track and it assigned -10.0dB. I converted the same track with Audacity and Foobar and it left that tag blank. I am viewing the tags in MediaMonkey. When played the LameXP converted track is quieter than the other two as expected.

I can delete the tagged value and the song returns to normal volume, but any idea why this is happening? I expected a raw conversion with no added tweaks to the sound.
T-Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2019, 06:37   #1619  |  Link
manolito

This made me curious, so I converted a WAV to MP3 using standard settings. No normalizing. The log looks like this:
Quote:
lxp_lame.exe --nohist -q 2 -V 1 --tt "The Jam" --tc "Kodiert mit LameXP" --tn 1 "D:\The Jam.wav" "D:\The Jam.mp3"

LAME 3.100 64bits (http://lame.sf.net)
CPU features: SSE (ASM used), SSE2
Using polyphase lowpass filter, transition band: 19383 Hz - 19916 Hz
Encoding D:\The Jam.wav to D:\The Jam.mp3
Encoding as 44.1 kHz j-stereo MPEG-1 Layer III VBR(q=1)
Frame | CPU time/estim | REAL time/estim | play/CPU | ETA
Writing LAME Tag...done
ReplayGain: -4.9dB

Exited with code: 0x0000
So Lame obviously writes a ReplayGain tag by default. My TagScanner software just does not see this tag (maybe the version is too old). Since I do not use any player software which honors this tag I never had any problems with it. But there is a command line switch in Lame.exe which disables calculation of the ReplayGain value, maybe adding "--noreplaygain" to the custom MP3 parameters in LameXP will fix it for you.
manolito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2019, 20:37   #1620  |  Link
LoRd_MuldeR
Software Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Hawk View Post
I have been using LameXP to convert a bunch of wav files to mp3. I noticed that it appears to be assigning a track volume. I am not sure why it is doing this since I don't have normalization checked and haven't changed any of the default settings.

I converted a test track and it assigned -10.0dB. I converted the same track with Audacity and Foobar and it left that tag blank. I am viewing the tags in MediaMonkey. When played the LameXP converted track is quieter than the other two as expected.

I can delete the tagged value and the song returns to normal volume, but any idea why this is happening? I expected a raw conversion with no added tweaks to the sound.
It is important to understand that the ReplayGain tag that LAME is creating (by default) is nothing but a meta information. It does not alter the volume of the audio file at all!

ReplayGain normalization happens, if at all, at playback time. So, IMO, there are only two possible situations:
  • If you do want ReplayGain to normalize the volume of you media files, then you need a playback software that supports ReplayGain and your media files need to contain proper ReplayGain meta information.
    The latter is exactly what LAME is doing (by default). In other words, LAME prepares the created MP3 files for ReplayGain processing, but the actual processing happens in your playback software.
  • If you do not want ReplayGain to normalize the volume of you media files, then use a playback software that does not support ReplayGain –or– just disable the ReplayGain feature of your playback software.
    Either way, as long as ReplayGain is disabled (or unsupported) in your playback software, the ReplayGain meta information that may be present in the media file will simply be ignored.

tl;dr If you don't like ReplayGain processing, then disable it in your playback software

Last edited by LoRd_MuldeR; 30th July 2019 at 20:52.

Tags
aac, aotuv, flac, lame, lamexp, mp3, mp4, ogg, oggenc, opus, vorbis