Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Programming and Hacking > Development

Old 19th April 2020, 01:19   #1661  |  Link
LoRd_MuldeR
Software Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrVideo View Post
I'd get you the log file, but the scroll buffer is too small. All I can get is part of track 19, thru to the end. I need to be able to see track 17, as track 18 (in this case) is what gets dropped. Is there any way you can output to a text file? Dropping it in the same location where the temporary WAV files are placed? I can then zip that and upload it.
You could try increasing the screen buffer size, at "Properties -> Layout" of the console window, before you start the import:
https://i.imgur.com/3ugV7XD.png
Old 19th April 2020, 03:50   #1662  |  Link
MrVideo

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoRd_MuldeR View Post
You could try increasing the screen buffer size, at "Properties -> Layout" of the console window, before you start the import:
Missed that one. I had set a different one.

I think I found the reason that CoolEdit2000 has issues:
Code:
> SoX: "C:\DOCUME~1\VIDIOT~1.SAT\LOCALS~1\Temp\01fd80f94964d022\lxp_sox.exe WARN
 wav: Length in output .wav header will be wrong since can't seek to fix it"
I guess CoolEdit 2000 has issues with that, but Audition and the flac encoder do not.

As for why it fails, it seems as though sox can't write to the output file:
Code:
> SoX: "C:\DOCUME~1\VIDIOT~1.SAT\LOCALS~1\Temp\01fd80f94964d022\lxp_sox.exe FAIL
formats: can't open output file `F:\Simon_And_Garfunkel-Discography-FLAC\Compilation\
1997. Simon & Garfunkel - Old Friends (Columbia-Legacy 489447 2, Austria)\
Disc 2\Simon & Garfunkel - Old Friends [Disc 2] (4)\
[18] Simon & Garfunkel - Old Friends [Disc 2] - You Don't Know Where Your Interest Lies.wav':
No such file or directory"
(Output line split for easier reading.)
Attached Files
File Type: zip LameXP_txt.zip (13.0 KB, 95 views)
MrVideo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2020, 14:54   #1663  |  Link
LoRd_MuldeR
Software Developer

Quote:
As for why it fails, it seems as though sox can't write to the output file:
Indeed, for some reason, in case of Track #18, SoX was unable to open (create) the output file:
https://gist.github.com/lordmulder/a...825211a974d72a

With a length of 269 characters, this path happens to be just a few characters longer than the traditional MAX_PATH limit of Windows, which is 260 characters

There are ways around that limit, on modern versions of Windows, but many applications still use/assume a fixed limit of 260 characters.

So, could you please try with a different output folder, for example "F:\Tracks\Simon & Garfunkel - Old Friends" instead of the longish "F:\Simon_And_Garfunkel-Discography-FLAC\Compilation\1997. Simon & Garfunkel - Old Friends (Columbia-Legacy 489447 2, Austria)\Disc 2" and see whether that solves the issue?

Quote:
I think I found the reason that CoolEdit2000 has issues:
The WAVE file format is based on RIFF. And, in a RIFF file, each chunk (data element) starts with a header containing a "type" and a "length" field.

Now, when writing out a WAVE file, the total amount of samples that are going to be written is usually not known to the WAVE writer beforehand. So, the standard approach is this: At first, write a dummy "length" value into the chunk header; then keep on writing the actual audio data; and, a the very end, when we know the actual size of the data that was written, seek back to the beginning of the chuck an patch in the correct "length" value into the header.

For some unknown reason, it appears that SoX was unable to seek back in the file and thus was unable to patch in the correct "length" value

Last edited by LoRd_MuldeR; 19th April 2020 at 17:11.
LoRd_MuldeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2020, 22:26   #1664  |  Link
MrVideo

Sorry for the delay.
Quote:
Indeed, for some reason, in case of Track #18, SoX was unable to open (create) the output file:
https://gist.github.com/lordmulder/a...825211a974d72a

With a length of 269 characters, this path happens to be just a few characters longer than the traditional MAX_PATH limit of Windows, which is 260 characters
I was beginning to wonder if I hit the character buffer limit. I was going to try something, but sleep took over.
Quote:
So, could you please try with a different output folder, for example "F:\Tracks\Simon & Garfunkel - Old Friends" instead of the longish "F:\Simon_And_Garfunkel-Discography-FLAC\Compilation\1997. Simon & Garfunkel - Old Friends (Columbia-Legacy 489447 2, Austria)\Disc 2" and see whether that solves the issue?
I created a simple S&G directory and copied over the three disc directories. That solved the problem. Thanks.

But, I ran into an issue trying to do the encoding. After scratching my head, I discovered that the 2257 version was using different registry entries (I hate the registry concept) and it was back to default settings: MP3 and output location.

I've since reinstalled the latest version and it is looking great.
Quote:
For some unknown reason, it appears that SoX was unable to seek back in the file and thus was unable to patch in the correct "length" value
Is that a bug for the sox author(s) to figure out?

We're off to the races.
Old 19th April 2020, 22:46   #1665  |  Link
LoRd_MuldeR
Software Developer

Quote:
Sorry for the delay.

I was beginning to wonder if I hit the character buffer limit. I was going to try something, but sleep took over.

I created a simple S&G directory and copied over the three disc directories. That solved the problem. Thanks.
Good

Quote:
But, I ran into an issue trying to do the encoding. After scratching my head, I discovered that the 2257 version was using different registry entries (I hate the registry concept) and it was back to default settings: MP3 and output location.

I've since reinstalled the latest version and it is looking great.
LameXP does not store settings in the registry, but in a simple INI file.

But, indeed, sometimes the settings stored in the INI file change in an incompatible way between LameXP releases, in which case each release uses a separate section in the INI file.

(I think the last time it happened was between v4.16 and v4.17, but not in v4.18)

Quote:
Is that a bug for the sox author(s) to figure out?

We're off to the races.
The last release of SoX dates back to 2015, so the project seems to be pretty much dead these days. Also, I don't know what's going on, since I don't see this warning on my side.
Old 20th April 2020, 00:37   #1666  |  Link
MrVideo

Quote:
LameXP does not store settings in the registry, but in a simple INI file.
I went looking for the INI file in the program's location and did not see one, so I figured registry.
Quote:
But, indeed, sometimes the settings stored in the INI file change in an incompatible way between LameXP releases, in which case each release uses a separate section in the INI file.
Ah, OK.
Quote:
The last release of SoX dates back to 2015, so the project seems to be pretty much dead these days. Also, I don't know what's going on, since I don't see this warning on my side.
I would almost think a XP issue, but 2015 is in the XP era, so indeed strange.

It's kind-of a non-issue as I do not keep the WAV files that are created. If I need to edit the flac file, I'll just use Audition.

Last edited by MrVideo; 20th April 2020 at 19:34.
Old 20th April 2020, 00:41   #1667  |  Link
LoRd_MuldeR
Software Developer

Quote:
I went looking for the INI file in the program's location and did not see one, so I figured registry.
The INI file is created in %LOCALAPPDATA% directory, as we cannot assume the install directory to be writable for normal users. On modern versions of Windows, "C:\Program Files" is not normally writable.

Also it allows each user to have its own separate configuration.

Having said that, if you rename the executable to "LameXP-Portable.exe", it will create the INI file in the same directory where the EXE file resides.
Old 21st April 2020, 01:13   #1668  |  Link
huy

fix read files subfolder and...

1. fix read files subfolder
2. add title: size, type at tab source files.
See you again.
huy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2020, 09:52   #1669  |  Link
LoRd_MuldeR
Software Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by huy View Post
1. fix read files subfolder
2. add title: size, type at tab source files.
Is this supposed be a riddle for us?

(Providing lots of detailed information is key to any support request)
Old 24th April 2020, 01:05   #1670  |  Link
amayra
Quality Checker

i try to splitting some FLAC file from cue sheet but LameXP re-encode to wav file there any option to disable this to make LameXP splitting FLAC only
Old 24th April 2020, 17:54   #1671  |  Link
LoRd_MuldeR
Software Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by amayra View Post
i try to splitting some FLAC file from cue sheet but LameXP re-encode to wav file there any option to disable this to make LameXP splitting FLAC only
Nope, the CUE sheet importer creates temporary WAV files. But, of course, you can set output format to FLAC in the actual encoding step to get FLAC files in the end.

Even if we used SoX to split directly from FLAC to FLAC, I think internally SoX would first decode the input FLAC, then cut out the desired range of PCM samples, and finally re-encode to FLAC format. So, technically, that's really no different.

Anyway, specialized tools may be able to split a FLAC without re-encoding. Maybe have a look at CUETools for that specific use-case.

Last edited by LoRd_MuldeR; 24th April 2020 at 18:05.
Old 24th April 2020, 20:50   #1672  |  Link
MrVideo

I asked this same thing several posts back in this thread. Because WAVe files and FLAC files are all lossless, there is no loss to audio quality. All you lose is a little time, very little time. Also, all of the FLAC metadata is transferred to the individual FLAC files.

If you are going to do work on more than one input FLAC file, import all of them first. Then recode them. Time will be saved when all of the new FLAC encodings are done at the same time.
Old 24th April 2020, 21:03   #1673  |  Link
MrVideo

Quote:
Maybe have a look at CUETools for that specific use-case.
Unfortunately the author does not indicate one way or the other as to what the program does when the CUE file works with FLAC input files. Does it decode to a temporary WAVe file and then immediately recode to FLAC? Has the author figured out how to split the FLAC file and just add a new header, metadata info and the original FLAC data? Unknown. You'd have to go to its discussion forum and ask (if it hasn't been asked already).
Old 25th April 2020, 18:26   #1674  |  Link
sloot

Quote:
Nos, ha rendelkezésre állna egy megfelelő CLI kódoló, akkor ezt is megvizsgálhatnám.
eac3to is the most popular command line tool for TrueHD Audio, DTS-HD MA sounds.

eac3to - audio conversion tool

Please check if it is correct.
Thank You.

Best Regards.
sloot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2020, 10:50   #1675  |  Link
lvqcl

Quote:
Does it decode to a temporary WAVe file and then immediately recode to FLAC?
AFAIK yes.
lvqcl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2020, 11:03   #1676  |  Link
MrVideo

I still prefer LameXP.
Old 21st May 2020, 20:27   #1677  |  Link
MrVideo

Enhancement suggestion: Add an option to remove the temporary WAV file that is created after a successful encoding.
Old 22nd May 2020, 21:08   #1678  |  Link
LoRd_MuldeR
Software Developer

Quote:
Enhancement suggestion: Add an option to remove the temporary WAV file that is created after a successful encoding.
Temporary files should always be removed.

In fact, each temporary WAV file is deleted as soon as the encoding processes finishes. Additionally, the whole "temp" directory (and thus all temporary files that still may persist) is removed, recursively, when LameXP is shutting down.

EDIT: You can look at the log (command-line switch "--console") to see whether there are any warnings about files that could not be removed for some reason.

Last edited by LoRd_MuldeR; 23rd May 2020 at 14:10.
Old 23rd May 2020, 19:31   #1679  |  Link
MrVideo

The WAV files are not in a "temp" directory. They are in the final output directory, i.e., where the FLAC files are placed.
Old 23rd May 2020, 22:29   #1680  |  Link
LoRd_MuldeR
Software Developer

Quote:
The WAV files are not in a "temp" directory. They are in the final output directory, i.e., where the FLAC files are placed.
So, you are not talking about temporary WAV files created by LameXP, but some WAV files that you added as source files to be converted?

Maybe you consider these files as "temporary" in your worklfow, but for LameXP these are just normal source files.

Deleting the source file after (successful) conversion is not currently supported. There were requests for such an option before, but I'm still not sure I like the idea...

(This option would have great potential for damage, if the user accidentally enables it, or forgets to turn it off again)

Last edited by LoRd_MuldeR; 23rd May 2020 at 22:33.

Tags
aac, aotuv, flac, lame, lamexp, mp3, mp4, ogg, oggenc, opus, vorbis