Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Programming and Hacking > Development

Old 15th February 2021, 00:52   #1721  |  Link
LoRd_MuldeR
Software Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrVideo View Post
Based on the new information about lxp_curl.exe, I first started lamexp and then looked for the program. I then found the "new" version and it indeed fails. The walker indicates that normaliz.dll is missing, which indeed it is. Was this DLL ever shipped with WinXP, or ever added with a patch? I'm at SP3. I found a site to get it, but I need to know the info about the one that you are running (they have several versions). The info line from the walker program will do.
I don't know. And because Windows XP went "end of life" so long ago, it is hard to find any information. On my Windows XP (SP-3) system it just worked

The Microsoft site about the IdnToAscii() function, which is the only function cURL imports from "normaliz.dll", says:
Quote:
Windows XP, Windows Server 2003:
The required header file and DLL are part of the Microsoft Internationalized Domain Name (IDN) Mitigation APIs, which are no longer available for download.
Apparently there used to be a redistributable installer, specifically for Windows XP. So you can try with this archived copy that I was able to dig up:
idndl.x86.exe

(Vista and later apparently provide "normaliz.dll" out-of-the-box)

Quote:
In this case, that is indeed true. That is because there was an album.flac.cue and album.wave.cue file. Why there is a wave cue file is beyond me, size there are no wave files.

Suggestion... if this situation arises, how about adding a pop-up asking the user to enter a new directory name? That is because I end up having to go back and manually rename the directories. Easier to do it up front.
I don't see why that would be needed. After all, we are talking about the suggested (default) name of the output directory.

If you don't like the default, you can always choose a different output directory of your liking – in the CUE Sheet import dialog – before you start the import/splitting process.

Hence, there should be no need to rename anything afterwards...

Quote:
While that is true, the user would have discovered a DNS issue via other means, i.e., just by trying to go to any website via their browser. Odds are that a user would have found an issue with their LAN, or internet connection, long before running lamexp.
Well, this is not about what the user might be able to figure out. It is about how the application reliably detectes whether we have a "working" Internet connection or not.

Quote:
Just go to your site to look for the update and if it doesn't work, report back to the user. At that point the user can troubleshoot their LAN/internet.
That's the point. If we weren't able to fetch the update info from our update mirror, we don't know whether it is because our update mirror is down, or because of a more general problem with the user's Internet connection.

Sure, we could simply throw a typical meaningless "Uh oh: Something went wrong!" error message and let the user figure out the specifics. But I think showing a somewhat more helpful error message is nice

Furthermore, since this is already implemented, I don't see a reason to drop a better, already working solution in favor of an inferior one.

Most important: Dropping the Internet connection test would not solve your cURL issues at all, because a working cURL would still be required for the actual download of the update information. You wouldn't gain anything.

Last edited by LoRd_MuldeR; 15th February 2021 at 01:20.
LoRd_MuldeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2021, 02:46   #1722  |  Link
danlock

> I use the cygwin terminal and it knows nothing about %TMP%.
> I just did a search of the program on te C: drive to find it.

I think the applicable Windows environment variable is %temp% (which redirects to Windows' temporary directory)

... good luck
danlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2021, 03:24   #1723  |  Link
MrVideo

Quote:
Originally Posted by danlock View Post
> I use the cygwin terminal and it knows nothing about %TMP%.
> I just did a search of the program on te C: drive to find it.

I think the applicable Windows environment variable is %temp% (which redirects to Windows' temporary directory)
Cygwin doesn't know it either.
MrVideo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2021, 03:31   #1724  |  Link
MrVideo

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoRd_MuldeR View Post
I don't know. And because Windows XP went "end of life" so long ago, it is hard to find any information. On my Windows XP (SP-3) system it just worked
Somehow you managed to get it on your system.
Quote:
The Microsoft site about the IdnToAscii() function, which is the only function cURL imports from "normaliz.dll", says:

Apparently there used to be a redistributable installer, specifically for Windows XP. So you can try with this archived copy that I was able to dig up:
idndl.x86.exe
That fixed it. Sometime after the June 2020 version of cURL you were using, the program got changed and started using normaliz.dll. You never stumbled on the issue because you already had that DLL on your system. Leave it to me to find that issue.
Quote:
Most important: Dropping the Internet connection test would not solve your cURL issues at all, because a working cURL would still be required for the actual download of the update information. You wouldn't gain anything.
Well, that certainly makes the point moot.

Now we know what to do if this were to happen to anyone else.

Thanks for helping me find the issue.

BTW: I removed the other cURL directory from last year, so I won't get fooled again.

Last edited by MrVideo; 15th February 2021 at 03:34.
Old 15th February 2021, 03:49   #1725  |  Link
MrVideo

Quote:
I don't see why that would be needed. After all, we are talking about the suggested (default) name of the output directory.

If you don't like the default, you can always choose a different output directory of your liking – in the CUE Sheet import dialog – before you start the import/splitting process.

Hence, there should be no need to rename anything afterwards...
Unfortunately, I do want the results placed in the source directory. Oh well.
Old 15th February 2021, 21:03   #1726  |  Link
LoRd_MuldeR
Software Developer

Quote:
Somehow you managed to get it on your system.
It is included with IE7 or later, and probably many other applications. Actually, I was able to extract the required "idndl.x86.exe" redistributable from an old IE7 for Windows XP setup package.

Since, after a fresh install, I always update my system to the latest version with WSUS Offline Update, including the latest supported version of IE, that's probably how I got it.

Quote:
That fixed it. Sometime after the June 2020 version of cURL you were using, the program got changed and started using normaliz.dll. You never stumbled on the issue because you already had that DLL on your system. Leave it to me to find that issue.
Okay. So I will include the "idndl.x86.exe" redistributable in the LameXP installer for now. Just to be sure.

Quote:
Unfortunately, I do want the results placed in the source directory. Oh well.
No idea

After you have opened the CUE file to be imported but before you hit "Import Cue Sheet" simply click the "Browse" button (in the "Output directory" groupbox) and then choose whatever output directory you like. That's it.

Last edited by LoRd_MuldeR; 16th February 2021 at 00:49.
Old 17th February 2021, 18:33   #1727  |  Link
MrVideo

Quote:
It is included with IE7 or later, and probably many other applications. Actually, I was able to extract the required "idndl.x86.exe" redistributable from an old IE7 for Windows XP setup package.

Since, after a fresh install, I always update my system to the latest version with WSUS Offline Update, including the latest supported version of IE, that's probably how I got it.
I never updated IE7, as I do not use IE for any web browsing. All of my browsing is done on my Linux server using Opera and Vivaldi.
Quote:
Okay. So I will include the "idndl.x86.exe" redistributable in the LameXP installer for now. Just to be sure.
Sounds like a great idea.
Old 18th February 2021, 02:00   #1728  |  Link
LoRd_MuldeR
Software Developer

Quote:
I never updated IE7, as I do not use IE for any web browsing. All of my browsing is done on my Linux server using Opera and Vivaldi.
Keep in mind that many applications use embedded IE frames

Last edited by LoRd_MuldeR; 18th February 2021 at 23:12.
Old 18th February 2021, 23:11   #1729  |  Link
LoRd_MuldeR
Software Developer

LameXP v4.19 RC-3
https://sourceforge.net/projects/lam...4.exe/download

Quote:
Changes between v4.18 and v4.19 [unreleased]
* Updated LAME encoder to v3.100.1-SVN (2020-08-25), compiled with ICL 19.1 and MSVC 15.9
* Updated Vorbis encoder to OggEnc v2.88 (2020-07-07), using libvorbis v1.3.7 with aoTuV beta-6.03
* Updated Monkey's Audio binary to v6.12 (2021-02-15), compiled with ICL 19.2 and MSVC 15.9
* Updated mpg123 decoder to v1.26.4 (2020-12-24), compiled with GCC 10.2.0
* Updated MediaInfo to v20.09 (2020-10-09), compiled with ICL 2021.1 and MSVC 15.9
* Updated cURL to v7.75.0 (2021-02-03), with libcurl v7.75.0 and OpenSSL v1.1.1i
* Added Bulgarian (български) translation, thanks to Симеон Илиянов Цветков <sicvetkov@uni-sofia.bg>
* Added command-line switch --no-splash, which can be used to hide the "splash" screen at startup
* Added a workaround for missing normaliz.dll to the installer (Windows XP only)
Old 18th February 2021, 23:37   #1730  |  Link
MrVideo

Quote:
Keep in mind that many applications use embedded IE frames
True. The only one that I know of that works just fine is VideoReDo. If there are others, there has never been a complaint (error). I guess I've been lucky.
Old 3rd April 2021, 16:17   #1731  |  Link
manolito

Getting THIS again:
https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.p...86#post1892386

All I can do is repeat my request from this older post. I totally understand if you do not want your users to use alpha, beta or RC versions forever, but for stable versions this nagging is totally annoying and unnecessary.

Please...
manolito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2021, 03:53   #1732  |  Link
TTR

Quote:
Originally Posted by manolito View Post
Getting THIS again:
https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.p...86#post1892386

All I can do is repeat my request from this older post. I totally understand if you do not want your users to use alpha, beta or RC versions forever, but for stable versions this nagging is totally annoying and unnecessary.

Please...
Have to say I completely agree with this and made an account just to post this. I LOVE LameXP, but being bombarded to check for an upgrade where there isn't one is just silly, and the music that it plays when skipping the upgrade check is entirely unnecessary and doesn't mute when sounds are otherwise muted. I get "this program hasn't been updated in a year" notices constantly.
TTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2021, 08:35   #1733  |  Link
Atak_Snajpera
RipBot264 author

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/run_as_date.html
Atak_Snajpera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2021, 00:13   #1734  |  Link
TTR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atak_Snajpera View Post
That seems like it would be a great workaround and I appreciate it, but I'm not having any luck with it. Still getting the "this version is over a year old" prompt. Thank you though!
TTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2021, 22:44   #1735  |  Link
LoRd_MuldeR
Software Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTR View Post
Have to say I completely agree with this and made an account just to post this. I LOVE LameXP, but being bombarded to check for an upgrade where there isn't one is just silly, and the music that it plays when skipping the upgrade check is entirely unnecessary and doesn't mute when sounds are otherwise muted. I get "this program hasn't been updated in a year" notices constantly.
Sorry for late replay. This has already been addressed for the upcoming release.

Until a new "stable" version is released, which will be very soon (hopefully), you can grab the latest "test" version here:
https://sourceforge.net/projects/lam...29/2021-05-22/

Regards.

Last edited by LoRd_MuldeR; 24th May 2021 at 22:55.
Old 25th May 2021, 19:17   #1736  |  Link
jpsdr

I've installed and tested the moment it was out the stable 4.18. I rarely use LameXP, but i wanted to use it now, and it crashed (it didn't at the time i've installed it)...
I've uninstalled the 4.18 and installed the beta 4.19, and when i start it, Kaspersky said that there is a virus trojan in \TEMP\xxxxx\lxp_curl.exe.
Old 25th May 2021, 20:58   #1737  |  Link
LoRd_MuldeR
Software Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpsdr View Post
I've installed and tested the moment it was out the stable 4.18. I rarely use LameXP, but i wanted to use it now, and it crashed (it didn't at the time i've installed it)...
Well, without more detailed information, it is impossible to analyze the problem.

But I can tell you that I regularly test on different systems, ranging from latest Windows 10 running on my Core-i7 machine to Windows XP SP-3 running on a Pentium II machine, and haven't encountered any crashes.

BTW: If you use any so-called "anti-virus" software (other than Microsoft Defender) I suggest tying to disabling it and then try again. Buggy "anti-virus" software is a common cause of "mysterious" crashes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpsdr View Post
I've uninstalled the 4.18 and installed the beta 4.19, and when i start it, Kaspersky said that there is a virus trojan in \TEMP\xxxxx\lxp_curl.exe.
https://www.heise.de/select/ct/2021/...14511239568241

(Honestly, at this point, I won't explain, for the umpteenth time, what a "False Positive" is and who you have to report it to if you want it fixed)

Last edited by LoRd_MuldeR; 25th May 2021 at 21:27.
Old 11th June 2021, 09:45   #1738  |  Link
K4sum1

The program opens, but gives me you must be running Windows 8 or higher, on Windows 8.

Can you remove the error entirely? If the program doesn't work on 7 or older, it just doesn't work, there doesn't need to be an artificial limit to what it runs on.
K4sum1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2021, 11:37   #1739  |  Link
LoRd_MuldeR
Software Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by K4sum1 View Post
The program opens, but gives me you must be running Windows 8 or higher, on Windows 8.

Can you remove the error entirely? If the program doesn't work on 7 or older, it just doesn't work, there doesn't need to be an artificial limit to what it runs on.
LameXP runs on Windows XP or later, up to and including Windows 10. I frequently verify that the program runs on my Windows XP, Windows 8.1 and Windows 10 machines. So I'm a bit confused here

What exact version of Windows you are running on and what exact version of LameXP you are trying to use?

Do you get that message from the LameXP "main" program or from the installer? A screenshot and some more details may be helpful. Can you run LameXP withe option '--console' and post the output?

Last edited by LoRd_MuldeR; 11th June 2021 at 16:54.
Old 12th June 2021, 09:27   #1740  |  Link
K4sum1

Quote:
LameXP runs on Windows XP or later, up to and including Windows 10. I frequently verify that the program runs on my Windows XP, Windows 8.1 and Windows 10 machines. So I'm a bit confused here

What exact version of Windows you are running on and what exact version of LameXP you are trying to use?

Do you get that message from the LameXP "main" program or from the installer? A screenshot and some more details may be helpful. Can you run LameXP withe option '--console' and post the output?
Sorry for the late response, I never got a notification email.

First screenshot is running normally, second screenshot is running with --console.

I kinda forgot a slight detail in the first post (since I had to wait 5 days before being able to post), but you can see it in the screenshots.

https://i.imgur.com/OO7uAJR.jpg

Last edited by LoRd_MuldeR; 12th June 2021 at 13:39. Reason: Remove layout-breaking attachments
K4sum1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aac, aotuv, flac, lame, lamexp, mp3, mp4, ogg, oggenc, opus, vorbis