Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-4 AVC / H.264

Old 16th September 2015, 09:18   #1  |  Link
GrandAdmiralThrawn

x264/libav - detected input framerate for raw H.264/AVC

Hello!

I am currently doing 2-pass encodes with target bitrates instead of CRF (because file size matters to me). There is just some small detail that bugs me.

What I transcode mostly is H.264 elementary streams. It seems x264 (or rather: libav?) cannot detect their frame rate. Is there no fps value in the header of H.264/AVC streams? It will always assume 25fps in such cases, while other elementary streams can be identified correctly, like some older DivX/XviD for instance.

Since the bitrate value is kbit/second, x264 would invest far too much if the actual fps would be something like 50p or 60p or maybe 30000/1001p or 60000/1001p instead of the assumed 25p.

Of course I could just pack every stream into an MKV container with the correct fps value in its header, which works perfectly fine! But it's a bit of extra work.

Thing is: Can't I just tell x264 what kind of input framerate I have, to invest bitrate correctly per time unit without an additional step? I tried the --fps option, but that's just for output framerate, doesn't seem to affect the bitrate invested at all.

There seems to be no --input* option that can do this? Or can I do something with --input-fmt? I guess no, but I don't really understand how to use --input-fmt yet, which's why I'm asking.

Thanks!

Proud owner of a 3dfx Voodoo5 6000 AGP HiNT Rev.A-3700 prototype
No RISC, no fun!
GrandAdmiralThrawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2015, 09:30   #2  |  Link
sneaker_ger

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandAdmiralThrawn View Post
Thing is: Can't I just tell x264 what kind of input framerate I have, to invest bitrate correctly per time unit without an additional step? I tried the --fps option, but that's just for output framerate, doesn't seem to affect the bitrate invested at all.
--fps is the correct option.
sneaker_ger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2015, 10:36   #3  |  Link
GrandAdmiralThrawn

--fps

Oh crap... you are right. It IS.

I must've done something wrong when testing this. I just retried it, and well, uhm. Yeah. It works just as it should.

My bad!

Proud owner of a 3dfx Voodoo5 6000 AGP HiNT Rev.A-3700 prototype
No RISC, no fun!
GrandAdmiralThrawn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bitrate, fps, libav, x264