Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Newbies

Old 31st July 2008, 16:21   #1  |  Link
izzi1234

Convert DVD to .mov without any transcoding

Hi there, i have read everything out there and downloaded many programs from tsremux to dvddecrypter to VOBrater to ifoedit, etc.

My goal is to take a movie (DVD) and to convert it to a .mov file

Now i dont want to transcode anything (i want the audio to be ac3 and the video to be mpeg2)
I also want to retain the subtitles

So far i have decrypted using anydvd hd and ripped using dvd decrypter under streamprocessing (selected main movie and then selected all the streams (i want all languages and subtitles)

Then there are 3 options (direct stream copy - demux - raw)

I have experimented with both, direct stream copy just creates an ifo and vob of the movie (everything in those 2 files)

Demux and raw seem to be the same (pls correct me) and give me an ifo, a m2v (video only) and a vob (which i assume has all the audio and subtitles, but so far i can only access the main audio)

Basically i want to turn the direct stream copy vob (and ifo) with the video, all the audio streams, and all the subtitle streams into a .mov

It seems simple turning the .vob into a .mov without changing the insides as both are "container formats" and .mov can accept almost anything

Thx in advance and sry if i missed something, but maybe i missed something very easily
izzi1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2008, 17:21   #2  |  Link
dat720

Demux would be the option you need, raw will create files in the format they are inside the container, where demux will process them and remove any streams not required, if you compare the results of both you will probably find the demuxed files are smaller.

I would suggest ffmpeg to create mov files....
ffmpeg -i video.m2v -i audio.ac3 -vcodec copy -acodec copy output.mov

Any particular reason why it has to be mov?
dat720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2008, 18:59   #3  |  Link
izzi1234

okay my whole movie (using Direct Stream Copy) is 7.03GB
using raw it is 7.03GB (5.24 .m2v; 1.79GB .vob (contains audio + subs))
using demux it is 6.96GB (5.16GB .m2v; 1.79GB .vob (contains audio + subs))
What is missing? (you said extra stuff, can u elaborate, thx)

Also is there a non-command line program that would do what you explained thx

Is there any other way to go about this whole process in one step, thx (and will the script you gave me keep all the audio and subtitle streams)

Lastly, how do i keep the chapters in the .vob file from dvddecrypter and lastly in the .mov

And for the why mov. Well it supported by all apple software and on a mac using FCP (final cut pro) that is important. Also it is pretty well known so others can use it and very extensible unlike avi (i know there are open source ones but i also want to stick mainstream and also i have compatibility reasons. PS: i had windows installed if you were wondering)

Last edited by izzi1234; 31st July 2008 at 21:24.
Old 1st August 2008, 01:59   #4  |  Link
dat720

Demux demultiplexes the vob file to it's elementry streams, so it looses all the vob header's etc, that is why the demuxed files end up smaller.

I do not know of any other way to create mov files, the only gui program i know of is quicktime pro.

I highly doubt there is a single step solution for what you are attempting.... it's not a script its command line options for ffmpeg, and i don't think ffmpeg can put multiple audio streams in a mov, and it certainly cant do subtitles.

I do not know how to keep chapters in a mov file.

I see, there are many other formats that quicktime/mac support aswell as all other windows based systems, i would hardly call mov mainstream, pretty much only apple and the mac crowd use it.....

It sounds like you are trying to make mov do something that vob already does perfectly........ if it aint broke don't fix it.
Old 1st August 2008, 02:18   #5  |  Link
izzi1234

Okay thx, i might as well stick with the .vob then

So my question is how do i get the whole movie (only movie not the menux, etc.) into ONE .vob (and .ifo --> what is it needed for)

My idea is to use Dvd decrypter (IFO mode), and stream processing and then select the main title and then use Direct Stream Copy and select all the streams

This leaves me with 1 .vob and 1 .ifo that have the video, all the audio and all the subtitles, BUT no chapters

How do i get the chapters (if you can answer that then all my problems are solved)

BTW: .vob is pretty standard right
Old 1st August 2008, 03:21   #6  |  Link
dat720

Quote:
Originally Posted by izzi1234 View Post
BTW: .vob is pretty standard right
That's abit of an understatement, every DVD uses vob, every DVD player supports vob, most consoles (xbox ps2 xbox360 ps3) support vob, it is probably the most widely used container in the world.....

I'm not a DVD Decryptor guru, in fact i hardly use it..... so i cant help with the chapters question.
Old 2nd August 2008, 19:40   #7  |  Link
olyteddy

You can use DVD Shrink to extract Main Movie to one VOB. Re-Author -> Main Movie; Edit -> Preferences -> Output Files -> un-check 'Split VOBs'. That should allow you to keep the chapters.
olyteddy is offline   Reply With Quote