Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Announcements and Chat > General Discussion
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 6th January 2019, 08:57   #1  |  Link
dev84

Question about resizing

Hello

I know that my question is not exactly in domain of this forum but it falls under technical aspects and i don't know any other forum with knowledgeable people to ask it.
So, i have a monitor with native resolution of 2560x1440 when i play a game in 1080p it is 1,333 pixel proportion, for 720p it is proportion of 2.
Can this have an impact in how a monitor is displaying the game; like smoother edges or this can't be noticeable?

Thank You
Pawel
dev84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2019, 09:23   #2  |  Link
huhn

a scaler will be used to fix this issue. either on the GPU side or the end device side (there are other possible scaler like an AVR but i ignore htem here.) the GPU is not using good scaler for this and the result is usually seen as "bad" but it could show an AA effect. monitor scaler are usually rock bottom in therm of quality.

for 2x scaling panasonic TV usually have an pure direct native x2 mode that uses NN for scaing which results in a very similar result as if this would be the native resolution which adds aliasing in the image compared to other scaler. i'm not aware of any other manufactor that makes use of this and i have to say tat nothing i'm looking into.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2019, 09:51   #3  |  Link
dev84

So if i understand this correctly, depending on monitor it may have difference in quality?
Old 6th January 2019, 10:04   #4  |  Link
huhn

you can blindly assume the majority is using bilinear.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2019, 14:25   #5  |  Link
dev84

Roger, thank You huhn.

Pawel