Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > Avisynth Usage

Old 18th May 2019, 20:10   #1  |  Link
LouieChuckyMerry

Help Inserting Resizing Between Denoising And Line Darkening

Happy Saturday! I'm wanting to insert a resize after the denoising but before the line darkening in an existing script, but I'm having trouble negotiating the transition from 16-bit to 8-bit back to 16-bit. The existing script is:

Code:
### Overall Temporal Denoise ###
SMDegrain(TR=2,ThSAD=200,ContraSharp=True,RefineMotion=True,Plane=0,Chroma=False,PreFilter=2,Lsb=True,Lsb_Out=True)
### Darken-Thin Lines ###
F=DitherPost(Mode=-1)
S=F.FastLineDarkenMod(Strength=24,Prot=6).aWarpSharp2(Blur=4,Type=1,Depth=8,Chroma=2)
D=MT_MakeDiff(S,F).Dither_Convert_8_To_16()
Dither_Add16(Last,D,Dif=True,U=2,V=2)
and the resize script is:

Code:
### Resize ###
NNEDI3_RPow2(4,CShift="Spline64Resize",FWidth=960,FHeight=720)
aWarpSharp2(Depth=5)
Sharpen(0.2)
I understand that SMDegrain is processing in 16-bits then outputting 16-bits, I understand what "DitherPost(Mode=-1)" means, I understand what the FastLineDarkenMod-aWarpSharp2 line is doing, and I understand the "Dither_Convert_8_16()" call, but I can't wrap my head around the red text. This:

Code:
SMDegrain(TR=2,ThSAD=200,ContraSharp=True,RefineMotion=True,Plane=0,Chroma=False,PreFilter=2,LSB=True,LSB_Out=False)
### Resize ###
NNEDI3_RPow2(4,CShift="Spline64Resize",FWidth=960,FHeight=720) 
aWarpSharp2(Depth=5)
Sharpen(0.2)
Dither_Convert_8_To_16()
F=DitherPost(Mode=-1)
S=F.FastLineDarkenMod(Strength=24,Prot=6).aWarpSharp2(Blur=4,Type=1,Depth=8,Chroma=2)
works, but I don't know if it's the most elegant solution (or if it's even correct). I guess what I'm really wondering: is there a "proper" way to incorporate the resizing with the red text? Thanks for any clarity .

Last edited by LouieChuckyMerry; 19th May 2019 at 23:35. Reason: DoubleComma!
LouieChuckyMerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2019, 18:46   #2  |  Link
Motenai Yoda

you are trying to merge 2 clips with different resolutions.

also jpsdr's nnedi3 works on avs+ 16bit too https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=170083

Last edited by Motenai Yoda; 19th May 2019 at 18:50.
Motenai Yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2019, 20:59   #3  |  Link
LouieChuckyMerry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motenai Yoda View Post
you are trying to merge 2 clips with different resolutions.
Thanks for your reply. Would you please be more specific? Maybe I can learn something .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motenai Yoda View Post
also jpsdr's nnedi3 works on avs+ 16bit too https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=170083
Thank you for the link; I'll check it out now.

Last edited by LouieChuckyMerry; 19th May 2019 at 21:00. Reason: Simplicity
Old 19th May 2019, 21:49   #4  |  Link
StainlessS
HeartlessS Usurer

You got a typo in first line of code (double comma).

Just curious, what is original frame size (bigger/equal 240x180 AND smaller than 480x360) ? ... [ NNEDI3_RPow2(4) ]

EDIT: Not sure I got them there bigger than smaller than numbers correct.

"Some infinities are bigger than other infinities", but how many of them are infinitely bigger ???

Last edited by StainlessS; 19th May 2019 at 22:09.
StainlessS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2019, 23:40   #5  |  Link
LouieChuckyMerry

Quote:
Originally Posted by StainlessS View Post
You got a typo in first line of code (double comma).
Damn cut-and-paste...

Quote:
Just curious, what is original frame size (bigger/equal 240x180 AND smaller than 480x360) ? ... [ NNEDI3_RPow2(4) ]

EDIT: Not sure I got them there bigger than smaller than numbers correct.
PAL DVD, 720x576. I went with "4" because the thread from which I stole the upscale bit of the script states, to paraphrase: use 2 but change it to 4 if you've the patience because it'll look better. Thanks jagabo .
Old 19th May 2019, 23:56   #6  |  Link
StainlessS
HeartlessS Usurer

nnedi3_rpow2:- http://avisynth.nl/index.php/Nnedi3/nnedi3_rpow2

Quote:
int rfactor =

Image enlargement factor. Must be a power of 2 in the range [2 to 1024].
Use 2, ie double original size (and then uses CShift, fWidth, & fHeight to correct the image center shift and output correct downscale size).
In other words, nnedi3_rpow2(2, ...) to double size and then downscale. (original script would quadruple size, and then down scale which would be slower than necessary and maybe not as good qual [methinks]).

No idea about the rest of script, I gorra get a bit more into the hi bit stuff.

EDIT: Some stuff about src_left,src_top removed.

"Some infinities are bigger than other infinities", but how many of them are infinitely bigger ???

Last edited by StainlessS; 22nd May 2019 at 07:20.
Old 20th May 2019, 03:58   #7  |  Link
LouieChuckyMerry

Quote:
nnedi3_rpow2:- http://avisynth.nl/index.php/Nnedi3/nnedi3_rpow2

Use 2, ie double original size (and then uses CShift, fWidth, & fHeight to correct the image center shift and output correct downscale size).
In other words, nnedi3_rpow2(2, ...) to double size and then downscale. (original script would quadruple size, and then down scale which would be slower than necessary and maybe not as good qual [methinks]).

No idea about the rest of script, I gorra get a bit more into the hi bit stuff.

EDIT: For center shift correct, I think that you may have to add this (see above linked doc examples, otherwise only resize, no center shift [methinks] )
Code:
src_left=-0.5, src_top=-0.5
I searched for many hours but I couldn't find the original post that led me to believe it's better to use "4" instead of "2", when possible. My memory won't win any awards but I still think this is correct. And from what I've read, the shift correct is covered by the "CShift"; I believe that "src_left=-0.5, src_top=-0.5" is for a special case.
Old 20th May 2019, 04:56   #8  |  Link
StainlessS
HeartlessS Usurer

EDIT: Ignore prev posted stuff about src_left/right, not arg in Nnedi3_rpow2

The CShift (resizer name) is just to resize to desired output size (and shift center correct).
I personally dont [usually] care enough about it to be so bothered about centering, Centering required due to way nnedi3_rpow2() works (keeps some original pixels and synthesizers those in between).
Nnedi3_rpow2 produces a shifted output (after upsize due to above synthesized pixels, before resize downscale).
Think this is how it works:::
If rFactor=4, then every output pixel coord that is evenly divisible by 4, is original, others synthesized.
If rFactor=2, then every output even pixel is original, every odd is synthesized.

You use rFactor = 2 where resizing larger than source and less or equal to 2* source dimension.
You use rFactor = 4 where resizing larger than 2xSource and less or equal to 4* source dimension.
Above rough estimate, eg if only a little over double size then might prefer to just use rfactor=2, significantly faster with little difference in result.
If upscaling by eg 5%, then hardly worth using Nnedi3_rpow2() at all, simple resize would be a lot faster and little difference.

If less than doubling size (as in your case), then rFactor=2 is already bigger than required and rpow2 upscale by 4 IS OVERKILL [if he is dead, stop wasting bullets].
EDIT: In your case, when downsize via CShift, if using rfactor=4, then would be using 1 src pixel for every group of 4 pixels [1 src and 3 synth],
when rfactor=2, would use 1 src pixel for every pair of pixels, obviously rfactor=2 is [in this case] better [and quicker].

EDIT:
Upsize shifted, O=Original Pixel, S synthesized, where rfactor=2, original Image O shifted left (needs right shift when downsize, ideally shifting src O mid way between upsize O and S ie 1/2 pixel shift)
Code:
OSOSOSOS
Upsize shifted, O=Original Pixel, S synthesized, where rfactor=4, original Image O shifted left (needs right shift)
Code:
OSSSOSSSOSSSOSSS
EDIT: If any of above wrong, then someone please say.

Last edited by StainlessS; 20th May 2019 at 15:25.
Old 20th May 2019, 15:16   #9  |  Link
LouieChuckyMerry

Thank you very much for the information, StainlessS . I'll save some ammunition and use "RFactor=2" instead of 4. Of course, in the process of trying to figure out how to use NNEDI3_RPow2 in a 16-bit chain I encountered NNEDI3_Resize16, so now I have to learn which suits my needs best by reading the NNEDI3 thread (the high bit depth bit begins here).
Old 20th May 2019, 15:35   #10  |  Link
StainlessS
HeartlessS Usurer

Thanx LCM, I was totally unaware of that NNEDI3_Resize16, I'll take a gander later (got to leave soon).

Old 20th May 2019, 23:25   #11  |  Link
Motenai Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouieChuckyMerry View Post
Thanks for your reply. Would you please be more specific? Maybe I can learn something
into
Code:
SMDegrain(Lsb=True,Lsb_Out=True)
F=DitherPost(Mode=-1)
F is smdegrain 16 bit output rounded to 8 bit
S is filtered 8 bit clip
D is the difference between S and F (what the 8bit filter stage added), converted to 16bit
Dither_Add16 re-add that difference into last which is the 16bit smdegrain output.

this way is pretty lame as lsb data isn't related to what is in msb and while it can be useful with filters like linedarker changing only few masked pixels, I'm not sure about a warpsharp one

it's like as you do
round(pi) * 5 + (pi - round(pi)) = 3*5+.14 = 15.14
where
pi*5 = 15,7

If you add a resize in the 8bit stage, D resolution change but last doesn't