Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > DVD & BD Rebuilder

Old 9th February 2012, 05:22   #14301  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by soneca View Post
No way, not even remember this option.
Try turning MULTIPROCESS on... my experience has been good with DGDecNV -- and there's no delay added in because the indexing happens concurrently with the audio demuxing.

Last edited by jdobbs; 10th February 2012 at 00:37.
jdobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2012, 05:27   #14302  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by neuron2 View Post
GT520 has a VP5 engine, so even though it is a low end card, it decodes faster than the VP4 cards.

My GT520 card died and I'm waiting for a high-end card with VP5 to replace it.
Interesting. I picked up two of them, one for my development machine and another for my video computer. One of them died immediately and I had to take it back for exchange.
Old 9th February 2012, 06:45   #14303  |  Link
omegaman7

Sorry to get anyones hopes up. Figures! I have this way of hexxing things I swear. My GTX 260 is now DEAD! My Coolit eco CPU water cooler leaked all over it. POP! And then the screen went to puke! Thankfully I was quick and switched the main power strip off. But my 8600GT barely falls within the acceptable specifications/parameters. And it doesn't have a fan...where it's supposed to. So I won't be CUDA'ing anything for a while If I were capable of crying, I would be. I have been itching to upgrade it though anyway. But it would have made an excellent spare.

I should look at the positive side of things. I was right at my desk when it happened!!! It could have been much much worse. Thankfully my PSU is good. The GPU is the only thing that suffered So far...
Old 9th February 2012, 09:12   #14304  |  Link
rendez2k

So DGDecNV isn't encoding the video, its just 'serving' the video to BD-RB and this should result in a noticeable speed increase with my GTX 480? I assume theres no demo of DGDecNV?
rendez2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2012, 11:11   #14305  |  Link
colinhunt

Well this is a bit on the peculiar side. I'm running a movie-only back-up on 0.40.04 with DGDecNV and multiprocess=1 (resulting in a 6-way split). On an earlier (non-DGDecNV) version of BD-RB I usually got anything from 40 to 100 fps during pass 1 when running multiprocess.

Now, with DGDecNV + multiprocess, I get only 16 fps. That's very low for pass 1; it's closer to the fps I usually see during pass 2 at 100% CPU load. Checking Task Manager tells me this pass 1 at 16 fps is using 8,6GB of RAM and CPU use jumps between 30-53%.

DGDecNV + multiprocess (6-way)
Pass 1: 16 fps
Extraction/indexing/splitting: 23 minutes

** update
DGDecNV + multiprocess disabled
Pass 1: 34-35 fps
Extraction/indexing: 23 minutes

** update
Installed a GPU Meter gadget to monitor what the GPU is doing when BD-RB is running with DGDecNV. BD-RB is now "Extracting/indexing A/V streams" but the GPU Meter says GPU usage is 0%. Shouldn't that be something else if DGDecNV is using CUDA right now?

** update
DGDecNV + multiprocess (3-way)
Pass 1: 42-43 fps
Extraction/indexing/splitting: 30 minutes
GPU use: 4%
GPU RAM use: 2%
CPU use: 34-36%
RAM use: 5.2GB

** update
LAVF + multiprocess disabled
Pass 1: 33-34 fps
Extraction: 30 minutes
GPU use: 2-3%
GPU RAM use: 5%
CPU use: 14-21%
RAM use: 2.7GB

Last edited by colinhunt; 9th February 2012 at 13:35.
colinhunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2012, 11:14   #14306  |  Link
colinhunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by omegaman7 View Post
My Coolit eco CPU water cooler leaked all over it. POP!
My previous encoding rig was utterly destroyed by a leaking water cooler. It was a Coolit, too. $1500 worth of hardware up in smoke. It's been air cooling for me ever since.

Last edited by colinhunt; 9th February 2012 at 12:23.
Old 9th February 2012, 13:33   #14307  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by colinhunt View Post
Well this is a bit on the peculiar side. I'm running a movie-only back-up on 0.40.02 with DGDecNV and multiprocess=1 (resulting in a 6-way split). On an earlier (non-DGDecNV) version of BD-RB I usually got anything from 40 to 100 fps during pass 1 when running multiprocess.

Now, with DGDecNV + multiprocess, I get only 16 fps. That's very low for pass 1; it's closer to the fps I usually see during pass 2 at 100% CPU load. Checking Task Manager tells me this pass 1 at 16 fps is using 8,6GB of RAM and CPU use jumps between 30-53%.

DGDecNV + multiprocess (6-way)
Pass 1: 16 fps
Extraction/indexing/splitting: 23 minutes

** update
DGDecNV + multiprocess disabled
Pass 1: 34-35 fps
Extraction/indexing: 23 minutes

** update
Installed a GPU Meter gadget to monitor what the GPU is doing when BD-RB is running with DGDecNV. BD-RB is now "Extracting/indexing A/V streams" but the GPU Meter says GPU usage is 0%. Shouldn't that be something else if DGDecNV is using CUDA right now?

** update
DGDecNV + multiprocess (3-way)
Pass 1: 42-43 fps
Extraction/indexing/splitting: 30 minutes
GPU use: 4%
GPU RAM use: 2%
CPU use: 34-36%
RAM use: 5.2GB

** update
LAVF + multiprocess disabled
Pass 1: 33-34 fps
Extraction: 30 minutes
GPU use: 2-3%
GPU RAM use: 5%
CPU use: 14-21%
RAM use: 2.7GB
The GPU doesn't do the extracting indexing, that's the CPU. It does the frame decoding as the reencoding occurs.

With hyperthreading enabled the intel processors make the O/S think it has more processors than are actually there. I need to find a way to get the actual physical processor count so I can more accurately select the number of multiprocess splits. A "virtual processor" is not a processor -- it is only one processor pretending to be more.

Last edited by jdobbs; 9th February 2012 at 13:50.
Old 9th February 2012, 13:40   #14308  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by rendez2k View Post
So DGDecNV isn't encoding the video, its just 'serving' the video to BD-RB and this should result in a noticeable speed increase with my GTX 480? I assume theres no demo of DGDecNV?
Yes... when using DirectShow for decoding, the CPU is sharing its time between encoding (X264) and decoding (DirectShow). So theoretically, since DGDecNV is using the GPU to take some of the load off the CPU, you should see some speed increase. Decoding typically uses much less processor time then encoding -- but I'm trying to tweak BD-RB to take advantage of all it can. On my system I gain about 15-25% for most encodes. On other systems it might be more or less.
Old 9th February 2012, 13:55   #14309  |  Link
drmih

I'm just backing up the UK version of Merlin - Series 4 which consists of 5 discs. The first four encoded fine, but the fifth, which is some extras and just over the capacity of a bd-9 (I've tried to bd-5 and bd-9), gives the following error on each M2TS. The ripped image plays fine on the HDD with TMT3.

"BD Rebuilder Experienced an error 2007 [time] CorrectEPData() 00006 2007"

I have tried to advance the process by manually copying the files and tweaking the .inf file, but it happens on the subsequent files.

The log files give:
[02/09/12] BD Rebuilder v0.40.04 (beta)
[09:21:11] Source: MERLIN_S4_D5
- Input BD size: 8.64 GB
- Approximate total content: [01:02:26.907]
- Target BD size: 4.36 GB
- Windows Version: 6.1 [7601]
- Quality: Highest (Very Slow), Two Pass
- Decoding/Frame serving: X264/LAVF
- Audio Settings: AC3=0 DTS=0 HD=1 Kbs=640
[09:21:11] PHASE ONE, Encoding
- [09:21:11] Processing: VID_00000 (1 of 25)
- [09:21:11] Extracting A/V streams [VID_00000]
- [09:21:39] Reencoding video [VID_00000]
- Source Video: MPEG-4 (AVC), 1920x1080
- Rate/Length: 25.000fps, 6,112 frames
- Bitrate: 8,989 Kbs
- [09:21:39] Reencoding: VID_00000, Pass 1 of 2
- [09:27:06] Reencoding: VID_00000, Pass 2 of 2
- [09:50:09] Video Encode complete
- [09:50:09] Processing audio tracks
- Track 4352 (eng): Keeping original audio
- [09:50:09] Multiplexing M2TS
- [09:50:21] CorrectEPData() 00006 2007
[09:54:37]PHASE ONE aborted by user request
drmih is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2012, 14:07   #14310  |  Link
jdobbs

I think I know what might be causing that one. It seems that some recent discs are using some extremely large starting PTS values. Goofy for sure. There are a couple places I need to change to account for that -- that was the cause of the issue I fixed in v0.40.04 and I'd guess you're seeing something similar. I should be able to find it. I should have gone back and fixed that possibility long ago.
Old 9th February 2012, 14:09   #14311  |  Link
colinhunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdobbs View Post
The GPU doesn't do the extracting indexing, that's the CPU. It does the frame decoding as the reencoding occurs.
OK... I installed the latest Nvidia drivers a moment ago and am running the same movie-only backup again, this time with DGDecNV and multiprocess=1.
6-way split pass 1 is now running at 12,50 fps. GPU Monitor says the GPU is not used at all; its load is 0%. Not sure if the GPU Monitor can be trusted because Nvidia Control Panel acts very sluggish. Is there a reliable way to doublecheck BD-RB is using DGDecNV and CUDA?

edit: It looks like GPU Monitor is a POS. I aborted BD-RB and noticed GPU temperature dropping rapidly from 58C to 53C which hints at GPU being used during re-encoding even though GPU Monitor says it's not.

Last edited by colinhunt; 9th February 2012 at 14:18.
Old 9th February 2012, 15:23   #14312  |  Link
varekai

Quote:
OK... I installed the latest Nvidia drivers a moment ago and am running the same movie-only backup again, this time with DGDecNV and multiprocess=1.
6-way split pass 1 is now running at 12,50 fps. GPU Monitor says the GPU is not used at all; its load is 0%. Not sure if the GPU Monitor can be trusted because Nvidia Control Panel acts very sluggish. Is there a reliable way to doublecheck BD-RB is using DGDecNV and CUDA?

edit: It looks like GPU Monitor is a POS. I aborted BD-RB and noticed GPU temperature dropping rapidly from 58C to 53C which hints at GPU being used during re-encoding even though GPU Monitor says it's not.
You could try this free GPU-Z
http://www.techpowerup.com/downloads...-Z_v0.5.8.html
varekai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2012, 15:27   #14313  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Is there a reliable way to doublecheck BD-RB is using DGDecNV and CUDA?
You can look at the AVS file during the encode. It will reference "DGSource()" as opposed to "DirectshowSource()"
Old 9th February 2012, 15:48   #14314  |  Link
varekai

Is there a demo/tryout of DGDecNV?
varekai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2012, 16:06   #14315  |  Link
jdobbs

I've never asked... but for $15, there's not a lot at risk. It's kinda' like asking for a tryout of a lunch at Burger King. Of course we need to remember that you also need an Nvidia CUDA enabled video card.

Just a reminder -- DGDecNV is Neuron2's software, not mine, I just added support for it in BD-RB because I tried it and liked it. It also removes dependencies to FFDSHOW and HAALI (it still uses AVISYNTH).

Last edited by jdobbs; 9th February 2012 at 16:14.
Old 9th February 2012, 16:11   #14316  |  Link
Capsbackup

Quote:
Originally Posted by varekai View Post
Is there a demo/tryout of DGDecNV?
No, but by supporting a long time Doom9 member/moderator with only a $ 15.00 contribution seems extremely fair!
Capsbackup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2012, 16:12   #14317  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capsbackup View Post
No, but by supporting a long time Doom9 member/moderator with only a $ 15.00 contribution seems extremely fair!
I completely agree. He's been the most active moderator here for a long time. He also wrote the free MPEG-2 frame serving software (DGDecode) that was used for this same purpose in DVD Rebuilder -- not to mention a huge stable of freeware AVISYNTH and VirtualDub filters.

Last edited by jdobbs; 9th February 2012 at 16:19.
Old 9th February 2012, 16:18   #14318  |  Link
colinhunt

Quote:
You can look at the AVS file during the encode. It will reference "DGSource()" as opposed to "DirectshowSource()"
Yeah, it says DGSource.

I found a much better monitoring gadget called GPU Observer. It's able to show me what GPU and VPU are doing. I'm running a 2-way pass 2 now and the gadget says GPU is practically idling, but VPU load jumps between 5 and 35 percent. So it's deffo doing something. I guess I'll try upping multiprocessing to 3 or 4-way next.
Old 9th February 2012, 16:19   #14319  |  Link
Capsbackup

Quote:
I completely agree. He's been the most active moderator here for a long time. He also wrote the MPEG-2 frame serving software (DGDecode) that was used for this same purpose in DVD Rebuilder as well as a huge stable of freeware AVISYNTH filters.
True, and DGDecode remains free!
If I consider all the backups I have made with DVD RB and now BD-RB, both of you are have been extremely generous!

Well I guess it's time to share my gratitude!!
Capsbackup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2012, 16:24   #14320  |  Link
colinhunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capsbackup View Post
^ what he said.