Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > DVD & BD Rebuilder

Old 17th February 2012, 05:15   #14501  |  Link
AmigaFuture

NightHawkGuy, I never saw mkvmerge.exe in TaskManager either. Not even an ~Instant~..haha. I even tried the rebuild after using MSConfig and changing settings to Diagnostic Startup, even that produced the same effect. I've installed AutoGK as I've noticed Windows 7 64-bit have challenges with it when trying to encode and split (a "year" ago)...but everything is functional there. I've even noticed challenges with DVD Rebuilder, and haven't reinstalled it yet.. I have some projects to have done for Saturday so I cannot focus too much towards BD-RB at the moment since everything else is operating correctly (that I can see). I've copy/pasted, after making a backup, 40.07 and am now trying with The Da Vinci Code (again). I know it completed with 40.06 with the same settings. So.. :-D Shall See.
Old 17th February 2012, 05:19   #14502  |  Link
jdobbs

I'll do some more testing in the morning...
Old 17th February 2012, 06:23   #14503  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightHawkGuy View Post
I got that failed to rebuild error as well on some test builds recently with MKV output. I observed the encoding completed fine and I could manually mux the final encoded elementary streams to MKV with mkvmerge ok.

I've tried a build today with the new version 0.40.07 with regular directshow/ffdshow serving (no multiprocess) and it didn't have the error and created correctly the MKV output with a 1080p AVC movie title, output as 1080p with 192Kb/s stereo AC3 audio.
However, I just tried an alternate title that was 720x480 MPEG-2, encoded to AVC 720x480 MKV output with 192Kb/s stereo audio and that one failed at the same place as yours. Again the encoded streams were completed fine and just the final MKV merging apparently failed.

So this MKV merging problem seems to happen only with certain titles or formats perhaps?

I watched closely during the final "Building ALTERNATE OUTPUT Structure" stage and though it doesn't appear in the logs, I could see the following messages while that process is happening:
Creating ALTERNATE MOVIE-ONLY Structure (Pt 1)
Creating ALTERNATE MOVIE-ONLY Structure (Pt 2)
each of these steps goes from 0->100% on the "current progress" indicator
and then it gets the "Failed to REBUILD" error message after that.
I can start the build again and it retries that step.
I also observed during this step in the Windows 7 Task Manager, Processes list, I never see "mkvmerge.exe" listed as running...

I don't quite understand what it is doing during that stage, since I can manually just input the already completed elementary streams (video, audio, and chapters) directly to mkvmerge to create an MKV fine with no other processing.
Is this an multi-part source?
Old 17th February 2012, 06:37   #14504  |  Link
NightHawkGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdobbs View Post
Is this an multi-part source?
Yes, the case of the one that failed was from selecting a multi-part 41min extra, 720x480 MPEG-2 title as the main movie. It was a deleted scenes title(playlist) that appears to made up of 27 chapters/segments.

A separate build from a single part source selecting the 1080p AVC main movie worked OK to MKV output.
I ran the tests for the quickest speed using CRF 1-pass MKV mode, very fast encoding with directshow/ffdshow and no multiprocess.

Last edited by NightHawkGuy; 17th February 2012 at 06:42.
NightHawkGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2012, 07:13   #14505  |  Link
stereo55

Quote:
Originally Posted by stereo55 View Post
Ive been a BD Rebuiled user for quite awhile now (60+ movies done) and just installed ver 4007. This is the first time Ive ever gotten the "Failed to retrieve audio, aborted" message myself (everything is up to date icluding Anydvd HD with my same usual settings) . This is on the movie "In Time" , and I cant fiqure it out the problem thus far .

Anyone else with the same ???
Quote:
I've done numerous encodes and I haven't had that once.
Well just to be safe , I re-installded the ffdshow and Matroska splitter , did a "inspect" and all was a-ok (as a previous inspect was not all ok after the new build) . Then I came up with a differant error , but only when the orginal movie disc was inserted . Seems the problem now was AnyDVD HD , so then I was forced to use the lastest beta 169.112 (seems 169.10 would not read the new movie disc properly) ; and now it seems Iam all good to go .

Doing the BD Rebuild as we speak , but confident the copy will come out beautiful (as usual) .

Sorry for the possible "false alarm" on the new 4007 build .

Thanks jdobbs for all your hardwork on BDR!

Last edited by stereo55; 17th February 2012 at 07:21.
stereo55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2012, 07:26   #14506  |  Link
Adbear

I think you mean AnyDVD HD 6.9.1.12 and AnyDVD HD did warn you there may be a problem when using 6.9.1.0

Last edited by Adbear; 17th February 2012 at 07:58.
Adbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2012, 10:25   #14507  |  Link
AmigaFuture

I'll check for replies in the morning. However, Ahhh...Haaa... An Encode DID complete...

Code:
----------------------
[02/16/12] BD Rebuilder v0.40.07 (beta)
[19:57:18] Source:  DA_VINCI_CODE
  - Input BD size: 40.59 GB
  - Approximate total content: [02:54:37.467]
  - Windows Version: 6.1 [7601]
  - MOVIE-ONLY/ALTERNATE OUTPUT mode enabled
  - Mode: MKV Container, 1920x1080, Intact Audio
  - Decoding/Frame serving: DirectShow [2-way]
  - Audio Settings: AC3=0 DTS=1 HD=0 Kbs=448
[19:57:23] PHASE ONE, Encoding
 - [19:57:23] Processing: VID_00011 (1 of 1)
 - [19:57:23] Extracting A/V streams [VID_00011]
 - [20:06:03] Reencoding video [VID_00011]
   - Source Video: MPEG-4 (AVC), 1920x1080
   - Rate/Length: 23.976fps, 251,208 frames
   - Bitrate: 5,703 Kbs
 - [20:06:03] Reencoding: VID_00011, Pass 1 of 2
 - [21:34:44] Reencoding: VID_00011, Pass 2 of 2
 - [01:01:29] Video Encode complete
 - [01:01:29] Processing audio tracks
[01:01:29]PHASE ONE complete
[01:01:29]PHASE TWO - Rebuild Started
 - [01:01:29] Building ALTERNATE OUTPUT Structure
[01:11:55] - Encode and Rebuild complete
[01:11:55] JOB: DA_VINCI_CODE finished.
Hmmm...my Castaway disk seems to have something to help make this software better. Cool. :-D Zzz...G'night. Let me know what I may help with, of course.
Old 17th February 2012, 16:56   #14508  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmigaFuture View Post
Hmmm...my Castaway disk seems to have something to help make this software better. Cool. :-D Zzz...G'night. Let me know what I may help with, of course.
Is that the Tom Hanks movie, or the 1986 movie?
Old 17th February 2012, 20:26   #14509  |  Link
AmigaFuture

Tom Hanks is in it. :-)
Old 18th February 2012, 01:33   #14510  |  Link
rippn

So if you use MULTIPROCESS=1 does bdrebuilder then not use DGDecNV? The reason I ask is because if I set MULTIPROCESS=0 then DGDecNV crashes and it has to be closed, however if I set MULTIPROCESS=1 the encode finishes no problem.

Also I'm in 64-bit win7, but the program gives the error that the 64-bit version of DGDecNV is not supported, I know 32-bit programs run fine in a 64-bit environment, wondering though if this might be the cause of DGDecNV crashing?
rippn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2012, 02:14   #14511  |  Link
NightHawkGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by rippn View Post
Also I'm in 64-bit win7, but the program gives the error that the 64-bit version of DGDecNV is not supported, I know 32-bit programs run fine in a 64-bit environment, wondering though if this might be the cause of DGDecNV crashing?
64bit Avisynth filters are only for use with 64-bit version of Avisynth.
I believe that BD Rebuilder uses only 32bit Avisynth even with Windows 7 64bit, so you need to use only 32bit filters including with DGDecNV.

I'm using Windows 7 64 bit with the recommended 32bit Avisynth and 32bit DGDecNV with no crashing either with Multiprocess on or off.
Old 18th February 2012, 12:36   #14512  |  Link
Sharc

Quote:
No, I haven't changed anything in the sizing algorithms for quite some time. I'd guess that one is likely just one of the random ones that CRF can't predict very well. But I'll do a couple of tests and see if the 720p conversion is affecting the sizing.
Hmmm..., it looks to me like being systematic (a bug?) that such sources (Blu-ray disc 25fps MBAFF, converted by BD-RB to 720p50fps using frame duplication) end up with much too low CRF predictions which eventually results in double size outputs (i.e. BD9 instead of BD5). I had this same effect for 2 such sources now. This looks a bit strange to me because the CRF prediction is usually pretty precise for progressive 23.976fps sources.

And b.t.w. thanks a lot for supporting DG...NV tools
Sharc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2012, 14:41   #14513  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharc View Post
Hmmm..., it looks to me like being systematic (a bug?) that such sources (Blu-ray disc 25fps MBAFF, converted by BD-RB to 720p50fps using frame duplication) end up with much too low CRF predictions which eventually results in double size outputs (i.e. BD9 instead of BD5). I had this same effect for 2 such sources now. This looks a bit strange to me because the CRF prediction is usually pretty precise for progressive 23.976fps sources.

And b.t.w. thanks a lot for supporting DG...NV tools
I have a table embedded in BD-RB that has some prediction factors I created based on testing. It changes with the size/rate of the source. I'll take a look at it and see if I might be off on 25fps to 720p conversion.
Old 19th February 2012, 04:22   #14514  |  Link
DarWun

For the past three days I have been trying to batch encode episodes from blurays for Farscape using DGDecNV for decoding. In the morning I find a dialogue box saying "Error: cuInit failed (100)". A google search found that this error is most likely attributed to DGDecNV. After some trial and error I found that this error occurs when the monitor has turned off to comply with Windows Power Option settings. After changing my Power Options so that the monitor never turns off, the cuInit error no longer occurs when batch encoding with DGDecNV enabled.

This is not an bug with BD-Rebuilder per se, but I figured it was worth pointing out in case other people are experiencing the same issue when using DGDecNV.
DarWun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2012, 04:30   #14515  |  Link
Mark_Venture

Question re: DGDecNV and MULTIPROCESS=1

Using MULTIPROCESS=1 has really sped up conversions to "movie only/alternate output MKV" (example: UNDERWORLD-UNRATED-EXTENDED took 2hrs 1min to convert with 0.40.06)

Since I have an EVGA GeForce GTX 275 896-P3-1170-AR, which supports CUDA. Being that its a slightly older card, I was wondering how much, if any, also using DGDecNV would help?

Thoughts? or should I just leave it alone since the current setup is working fine?

If it matters, rest of system's main parts are i7-860 (2.8GHz 8MB L3 Cache), ASUS P7P55D Deluxe motherboard, 8gig Corsair XMS3 CMX4GX3M2A1600C8 (4 x 2Gig sticks). Hard drives are Western Digital Caviar GP SATA (which I know are "slower")
Mark_Venture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2012, 05:15   #14516  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarWun View Post
For the past three days I have been trying to batch encode episodes from blurays for Farscape using DGDecNV for decoding. In the morning I find a dialogue box saying "Error: cuInit failed (100)". A google search found that this error is most likely attributed to DGDecNV. After some trial and error I found that this error occurs when the monitor has turned off to comply with Windows Power Option settings. After changing my Power Options so that the monitor never turns off, the cuInit error no longer occurs when batch encoding with DGDecNV enabled.

This is not an bug with BD-Rebuilder per se, but I figured it was worth pointing out in case other people are experiencing the same issue when using DGDecNV.
Good to know, thanks. I may be able to prevent video-disabling from happening when DGDecNV is enabled... I'll check it out.
Old 19th February 2012, 05:17   #14517  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_Venture View Post
Using MULTIPROCESS=1 has really sped up conversions to "movie only/alternate output MKV" (example: UNDERWORLD-UNRATED-EXTENDED took 2hrs 1min to convert with 0.40.06)

Since I have an EVGA GeForce GTX 275 896-P3-1170-AR, which supports CUDA. Being that its a slightly older card, I was wondering how much, if any, also using DGDecNV would help?

Thoughts? or should I just leave it alone since the current setup is working fine?

If it matters, rest of system's main parts are i7-860 (2.8GHz 8MB L3 Cache), ASUS P7P55D Deluxe motherboard, 8gig Corsair XMS3 CMX4GX3M2A1600C8 (4 x 2Gig sticks). Hard drives are Western Digital Caviar GP SATA (which I know are "slower")
Can't say for sure. It helped on my system and I'd guess it would on yours -- but there are a lot of variables and I can't say how much (if any) improvement you'll see.
Old 19th February 2012, 06:15   #14518  |  Link
NightHawkGuy

Quote:

That hasn't happened with my setup using an Asus Nvidia GTX460 video card with DGDecNV.
My monitor can go into standby mode and come out fine during a build and I like that feature, so would like to keep that ability. For those who have a problem in their particular setup, perhaps an optional ini entry can be used to disable it, but allow it to be enabled otherwise.

Might depend on the particular Nvidia chip and driver and other system specific stuff?
Should probably report it at the DGDecNV support forum with details of your particular system and video card + drivers.
I noticed he has a support thread over there for that particular error which could happen if the video card's memory is used a lot at the same time as DGDecNV by some other graphics intensive apps.

Last edited by NightHawkGuy; 19th February 2012 at 06:17.
Old 19th February 2012, 06:59   #14519  |  Link
DarWun

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightHawkGuy View Post
That hasn't happened with my setup using an Asus Nvidia GTX460 video card with DGDecNV.
Good to know. I'm using a Asus Nvidia GTX580 card with the most recent beta drivers (295.51). DGDecNV hasn't really given me any performance boost over the multi-processor option so I was going to stop using it. But I'll post over at the official forums in case it helps anyone.
DarWun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2012, 07:46   #14520  |  Link
omegaman7

Quote:
Good to know. I'm using a Asus Nvidia GTX580 card with the most recent beta drivers (295.51). DGDecNV hasn't really given me any performance boost over the multi-processor option so I was going to stop using it. But I'll post over at the official forums in case it helps anyone.
Indeed. I'm using a 570, and seeing very tiny gains. But I also only use the "high quality" option. I've found that the CPU seems to hold back the GPU. The faster the CPU, the faster the frameservice.
I plan to run some comparisons using the faster setting, and compare to X264/LAVF, and see what I come up with.