Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Subtitles

Old 7th December 2014, 12:15   #701  |  Link
romulous

Sorry to be a pest, but I have another sample that is problematic. Seems to affect both xyVSFilter and XYSubFilter. Zoom Player (my main player) will play the MKV file alone (without either of the external sub files present), but as soon as the external sub files are copied into the same folder, Zoom won't even play the file. Using MPDN (to rule out a player problem), I see an instant hang with MPDN, again when both the subs files are copied to the same folder as the movie. Not sure what is going on with this one:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/105555957/Test.zip (55.2MB)

The original report to me was that the subs show fine with xyVSFilter, but do not show at all with XYSubFilter (using the new release, no change).

romulous

Last edited by romulous; 7th December 2014 at 12:17.
romulous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2014, 13:28   #702  |  Link
cyberbeing
Broadband Junkie

Does the problem resolve itself if you move 'sub' after 'idx' in the LOAD_EXT_LIST registry string at:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Gabest\XySubFilter\General

I've pushed out a XySubFilter 3.1.0.705 build with this change since it resolved the crash on my PC with that sample.
This change in the registry won't take effect unless you reset to defaults, so I've included a reg file to do this in the zip.

What appears to be happening here, is XySubFilter attempting to read the VobSub .sub (bitmap) as MicroDVD .sub (text) which for some reason triggers an _Xout_of_range crash in std::basic_string on that sample. I've not run into this before, so I suspect VOBSUB .sub files which can trigger this issue are rather rare.

Unfortunately the change here is just a workaround for when there is a valid VOBSUB .sub+.idx pair present. It will still crash if you delete the .idx for your sample, but this should at least avoid the common case. If you come across more samples like this, hopefully someone could track this down and fix it properly.

Last edited by cyberbeing; 7th December 2014 at 15:50.
cyberbeing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2014, 11:46   #703  |  Link
romulous

Works for me I have asked the person who provided the sample to test on the full file, just to make sure. Will hopefully get back to you shortly!

romulous
Old 8th December 2014, 12:55   #704  |  Link
romulous

Ok, I was mistaken. XYSubFilter was not being used, xy-VSFilter was being instead. Unfortunately, I cannot get XYSubFilter to work with the new dll. Zoom just reverts back to xy-VSFilter, which is why the clip now plays (as xy-VSFilter was fine, it was only XYSubFilter that was broken). So, the question is, why does XYSubFilter seem to be broken totally?

Just on another subject, while you are updating the builds, probably time for a reminder about post #649 on page 33 (the adding of .\Subs to the default search path).
Old 8th December 2014, 14:13   #705  |  Link
cyberbeing
Broadband Junkie

Did you install the 64bit version by mistake?
Old 9th December 2014, 09:07   #706  |  Link
romulous

I don't believe so - the other person reports that the new XYSubFilter still does not work for them either (they report that the video does not even start with 705). I will install again though just to be sure.
Old 9th December 2014, 10:06   #707  |  Link
cyberbeing
Broadband Junkie

And you are saying XySubFilter does work when you roll back to the previous version? I've double-checked the sample you provided using XySubFilter 3.1.0.705 + madVR 0.87.11 with ZoomPlayer 9.60b4, MPC-HC, MPC-BE, MPDN, and Potplayer and all are functioning just fine on my Win7 SP1 computer. I'd suspect something else is going on, so please redownload & reinstall the x86 version from GitHub, run Restore_Default_Settings.reg, and then run Install_XySubFilter.bat as Administrator and ensure you see a 'DllRegisterServer in XySubFilter.dll succeeded' message.

In general, the only reasons XySubFilter wouldn't load by default are:
  • The sample did not have an audio track
  • No internal subtitle pin available.
  • No external subtitles found.
  • No valid subtitle consumer found.
  • XySubFilter wasn't registered successfully.
  • Must install x86 version for 32bit media players.
  • Must install x64 version for 64bit media players.

If the video does not even start, maybe the user has MPC-HC VSFilter installed instead of xy-VSFilter? There is an issue with regular VSFilter which can cause playback failures when XySubFilter removes it from the graph. If you require VSFilter for other things, you need to ensure you install xy-VSFilter for proper operation. Otherwise just uninstall VSFilter if you don't need it. If another transform filter like FFDShow's Raw Audio/Video Processor are being used, you may want to try disabling those as well for troubleshooting purposes.

Last edited by cyberbeing; 9th December 2014 at 10:19.
Old 9th December 2014, 11:28   #708  |  Link
romulous

The previous version works on other clips, but does not work at all on the sample clip (Zoom doesn't even play the file). I am hampered slightly by not having access to the full file - but I have asked bLight (it is his file and he noticed the problem) to try uninstalling xy-VSFilter. As you would be aware, Install Center installs both xy-VSFilter and XYSubFilter (for good reasons), and Zoom chooses which one to use based on what video renderer you have selected. I will get back to you!

romulous
Old 9th December 2014, 12:37   #709  |  Link
cyberbeing
Broadband Junkie

I'm now totally confused now who has what problem, and what has and has not been tested. I have a hard time believing 3.1.0.705 not functioning at all with any subtitle sample could possibly be anything but user error, if that is what is being claimed. If there is still a problem only with a specific sample or setup or OS, but otherwise 3.1.0.705 functions the same as 3.1.0.697, that would be more believable. Could you please clarify the following along with any other details you find relevant:

1)
romulous, have you yourself done what I described in my previous post, including resetting to defaults?
What works and what doesn't work with 3.1.0.705 on your computer specifically?
If you uninstall 3.1.0.705 and repeat the steps in my previous post to install 3.1.0.697 manually, what changes if anything?
If you place 'sub' after 'idx' in the LOAD_EXT_LIST key with 3.1.0.697, is there any change with your small sample?

2)
Has Blight himself done what I described in my previous post, including resetting to defaults?
What works and what doesn't work with 3.1.0.705 on Blight's computer specifically?
If Blight uninstalls 3.1.0.705 and repeats the steps in my previous post to install 3.1.0.697 manually, what changes if anything?
If Blight places 'sub' after 'idx' in the LOAD_EXT_LIST key with 3.1.0.697, is there any change with his full sample?

Last edited by cyberbeing; 9th December 2014 at 12:49.
Old 10th December 2014, 09:01   #710  |  Link
romulous

Ok, short story didn't work, so here is the long story. bLight tells me that he has a movie which XYSubFilter does not show the subtitles on, and asks me to chase it up (report it as a bug in XYSubFilter). I don't have the movie myself, and I know that just posting here that 'XYSubFilter does not work with movie xyz' would not achieve anything. So I ask for a sample, which he cuts off the main movie (that 50MB file I posted). When I try the sample on my system, it has a different issue than bLight - I'm fairly certain that is because of how the sample was generated. bLight's issue was that the subtitles do not show. The problem I see is that Zoom does not play the movie at all, and MPDN (the other player I tried) crashes instantly. That to me says there is a fairly severe issue with XYSubFilter with the clip (the problems resolve when I move the two external subtitle files from the same folder as the movie).

So, that leads to my post here. You post build 705 - which I initially think works (because Zoom now plays the file). I then ask bLight to try it on the full movie, as I think the sample is problematic. He responds that Zoom does not play the movie at all with build 705, and asks me how I got it to work. I check - and find out that Zoom was not using XYSubFilter, but xy-VSFilter (it was using madVR, I don't know why XYSubFilter was not loading). I tell bLight that I was wrong, it doesn't work - and that leads to my 'I was mistaken' post above. I have asked bLight to do what you suggest - I don't think there is any point in me doing it, as I am convinced the sample is faulty in a different way - and am still waiting for a reply. If he can get Zoom to actually use build 705, and then get it to actually show the subtitles - all on the full movie - that is all that really matters. If XYSubFilter crashes MPDN and causes Zoom to not work on the sample, that is not really relevant.

When I get a response from bLight (I have just asked a second time, a few minutes ago, as a reminder to him), I will get back to you.

romulous
Old 10th December 2014, 09:16   #711  |  Link
cyberbeing
Broadband Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by romulous View Post
I check - and find out that Zoom was not using XYSubFilter, but xy-VSFilter (it was using madVR, I don't know why XYSubFilter was not loading). I tell bLight that I was wrong, it doesn't work - and that leads to my 'I was mistaken' post above. I have asked bLight to do what you suggest - I don't think there is any point in me doing it, as I am convinced the sample is faulty in a different way - and am still waiting for a reply.
The reason I'm asking you to do it, is because of this. That should not occur, so I'd like you to try what I suggested and see if it resolves your problem with XySubFilter not loading (with any subtitle sample?). Honestly, what you are reporting yourself sounds like a more serious issue than Blight's problem, so I'd like to deal with that first. There was a crash/hang with the small sample, which 3.1.0.705 should have resolved if both idx+sub are present. Once you hopefully get XySubFilter working again I'd like confirmation if you can reproduce what I described with LOAD_EXT_LIST. Test in a media player other than Zoom Player if you must. I at least need to ensure there was not a serious regression from 3.1.0.697 to 3.1.0.705 which makes it stop functioning entirely upon update for some users.

Last edited by cyberbeing; 10th December 2014 at 13:53.
Old 10th December 2014, 11:17   #712  |  Link
romulous

Ok, sure - while waiting for a response from bLight, I shall run the test with 705 again. I am currently on the version that comes with Install Center (which is .211 for xyVSFilter and .697 for XYSubFilter I believe).
Old 10th December 2014, 11:37   #713  |  Link
romulous

I will only be able to test with .697 and .705 though - I deleted my downloaded copy of .704 after .705 was released, and I see it has been removed from github (so I can't re-download it).

romulous
Old 10th December 2014, 12:43   #714  |  Link
romulous

Ok, here are some results.

.697: By default (no registry changes), same results as previously reported. Zoom Player opens but does not play the file (but you have to restart it to actually play any other clips as well, so it may in fact be a crash), and MPDN instantly hangs. Removing both external subs files removes both issues.

.697: With the registry change, both Zoom and MPDN seem to work ok. I think the subs show as well. The reason why I say 'I think' is that they look odd, they look more like closed captions to me - for example, at 00:40, the words (Indian Music Playing) appear, including brackets. That does not look like any subtitle I have ever seen, so I am not sure that the sample clip actually has them (another reason why I wanted bLight to test with the full file).

.705: This time, Zoom seems to actually use XYSubFilter instead of xyVSFilter, as does MPDN. Both players seem to work ok.

Those were my results. bLight's results were roughly similar. He reported - and this was something I had noticed myself - that when you reset XYSubFilter's config, many of the registry keys (including load_ext_list) are not regenerated until you open the XYSubFilter config dialog from the tray icon and click Ok (you don't need to change anything, you simply click Ok). I don't think that is ideal myself.

Anyway, he wanted me to ask you something: is it possible to ignore 'sub' extension if there is an 'idx' file in the same folder instead of fooling with the order in the registry? He believes that would be a more reliable fix. The problem we have now is that the current registry fix will only work for new users - ie people who do not have a current installation of XYSubFilter.

Last edited by romulous; 10th December 2014 at 12:51.
Old 10th December 2014, 17:30   #715  |  Link
cyberbeing
Broadband Junkie

Quote:
.697: By default (no registry changes), same results as previously reported.

.697: With the registry change, both Zoom and MPDN seem to work ok. I think the subs show as well.

.705: This time, Zoom seems to actually use XYSubFilter instead of xyVSFilter, as does MPDN. Both players seem to work ok.
Okay good, these are expected results.

Quote:
Those were my results. bLight's results were roughly similar. He reported - and this was something I had noticed myself - that when you reset XYSubFilter's config, many of the registry keys (including load_ext_list) are not regenerated until you open the XYSubFilter config dialog from the tray icon and click Ok (you don't need to change anything, you simply click Ok). I don't think that is ideal myself.
I mentioned this to our developer a long time ago, but he seemed to have no interest in fixing the behavior which was a side-effect of the major refactor he performed on settings and registry handling. Overall it doesn't matter much, since our default settings will be used when a registry key is not present and normally you shouldn't be hacking at the registry.

Quote:
Anyway, he wanted me to ask you something: is it possible to ignore 'sub' extension if there is an 'idx' file in the same folder instead of fooling with the order in the registry? He believes that would be a more reliable fix. The problem we have now is that the current registry fix will only work for new users - ie people who do not have a current installation of XYSubFilter.
I'm sure it's possible, but we have no active developer at the moment and it's not something I feel comfortable attempting to do myself. If the registry key change from 3.1.0.705 works, then that is your only option for the time being. Since Blight creates his own installer, he could modify it to delete LOAD_EXT_LIST upon install of 3.1.0.705 as a temporary measure. Since as mentioned above, the key does not actually need to be present in the registry for the new defaults to be used.

There used to be a way to depreciate registry settings with a new build since I know our dev did it once early on, but it's never anything I had done personally myself. Looking into it again now, I think I figured out why I could never get it working before. I thought I just needed to increase the supported version number, but I actually needed to enable this function for each setting I wanted updated individually, since for whatever reason it wasn't enabled globally. The original function only supports integer registry values, but after a bit of fiddling I seem to have gotten it working for string values as well.

I could probably include this in the next build, but I'm going to hold off releasing another build until next month, so I'm positive there are no more changes or fixes I need to include. I'll remember to include the .\subs path as well. In the meantime, I'll send you a test build.
Old 11th December 2014, 08:57   #716  |  Link
romulous

Thanks, I got the PM I have asked bLight to take a look at your post as well.

romulous
Old 11th December 2014, 15:08   #717  |  Link
cyberbeing
Broadband Junkie

Blight is free to use those test builds in ZoomPlayer Install Center if he desires. They should hopefully work with his sample out-of-box, and depreciate load_ext_list and cache size registry values from prior versions (if they exist). Also as a reminder, he no longer needs to bundle unrar.dll from his installer when he updates it since both xy-VSFilter and XySubFilter have it static now.
Old 13th December 2014, 01:31   #718  |  Link
gommorah

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberbeing View Post
but we have no active developer at the moment
Do you think you could mirror the current codebase to SVN on the Google Projects host? As far as I could tell, all the git links I could see on the main page haven't had commits in a year or more (also, I don't know how to use git :P )
gommorah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2014, 03:42   #719  |  Link
cyberbeing
Broadband Junkie

Github repositories supposedly can be accessed via SVN as well. Does that not work for you? It really wouldn't hurt to just start getting familiar with GIT though. First just grab the latest msysgit release along with a client like SmartGit (free for non-commercial use), and you should rarely if ever need to touch the command line.

The only repository which is up-to-date is mine on GitHub which updated last week for the recent releases. Only our dev has push access to repo.or.cz, so it's gotten way out of date at this point. Here is a quick rundown of active branches and some commits of interest, if you were going to work on things:
Master (xy-VSFilter Stable)
vsfilter_rc (xy-VSFilter Development) Currently identical to Master, since I just released 3.1.0.306.
xy_sub_filter_rc3 (XySubFilter Development) + Temporary commit revert for xy_sub_filter_rc3 Bugfix required
xy_sub_filter_rc2 (XySubFilter Unstable New Features) Requires bug fixes for partial-rasterization and partial-scanline.
blur_be_fixes (Blur/BE Implementation fixes) Not correct yet, introduces some rendering bugs
be_scaling_2 (Experimental alternative /be scaling method) Visually more accurate most of the time, but has some issues with not always having a linear appearances with small jumps in scale factor
Experimental 8bit Blur/BE/Clip Unfortunately results in a rather extreme change in appearance for \be at high strength because it eliminates the 6bit rounding error of VSFilter 2.39
Old 14th January 2015, 06:14   #720  |  Link
ryrynz

If I have a subtitle that starts at 2:00 and disappears at 2:07 if I change subtitles at say 2:03 or I skip to 2:03 then no subtitle shows until the next one appears.
Since the subtitle is supposed to stay till 2:07 why is it not shown at any stage up until that time?
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote