Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 8th February 2020, 15:35   #58561  |  Link
SamuriHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy o View Post
I don't know if I want to know if the test build will improve what I already have, after tweaking for weeks towards something I'm good with. I'm just passing through HDR, so I (think?) I don't need tone mapping?
Passthrough is already tone mapping since no display hits the required nit level to avoid it. And what you get in that case is static tone mapping unless your tv has some kind of dynamic algorithm built in. But even if it does it can't compare to what madvr is doing. It's measuring each frame and dynamically tone mapping it using a histogram algorithm. The affect is something like Dolby vision. On my calibrated c8 the quality of madvr tone mapped video is a site to behold. Unless your tv can do 4000 nits, you really do want to experiment with madvr dynamic tone mapping. The caveat is that because they are test builds there's a lot of options to set right now. But the experienced users tend to post their settings which serve as a good starting point. Eventually the options will go away as the builds mature into a release build. But I can tell you... it's worth the effort.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Old 8th February 2020, 16:00   #58562  |  Link
QBhd
QB the Slayer

Agreed.

I just watched Zombieland (the original yes I hadn't watched it yet) and madVR OSD said the movie was 10000 nits... there is no way it would have looked as good as it did with 113 test build if I had just left passthrough and used the LG "Dynamic" tonemapping. Another movie I watched recently was Gemini Man (60fps) and for that I needed to turn off madVR's tonemapping and use passthrough. There is no way my GPU could handle it. There were many scenes that I know HSTM would have made better since after watching many movies now with it, I can easily spot where it would have been an improvement with that particular title.

It's well worth the minor effort to setup. And like said above, many users post their settings as a starting point.

QB
Old 8th February 2020, 16:25   #58563  |  Link
DMU

SamuriHL
Could you clarify whether it is necessary to activate the option "output video in HDR format" in HSTM in case of viewing on C8 for example?
DMU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2020, 16:36   #58564  |  Link
SamuriHL

I would. If you convert to sdr on an lg OLED, you're limiting the max nits you can output. By outputting HDR you can set the real display nits to ~700 which gives you a really good range to play with. Sdr will max out ~400 nits if you max the brightness and OLED settings but you risk running into abl doing that. Make sure to disable lg dynamic tone mapping in the settings for hdr.

Old 8th February 2020, 16:36   #58565  |  Link
Alexkral

MadVR continues (and will continue, since this is what it considers best quality) giving priority to detail in the highlights at the cost of luminance. So it does all kind of fancy stuff to give the highlights the maximum possible brightness, but that maximum is always limited by the need to preserve detail.

Personally, I can live perfectly without so much level of detail, especially when the highlights are most of the time flashes that one doesn't have time to analyze, and for which the luminance largely determines their impact
Alexkral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2020, 16:40   #58566  |  Link
SamuriHL

The latest builds contain curves that somewhat balance that equation if you choose the right one.

Old 8th February 2020, 18:04   #58567  |  Link
Siso
Soul Seeker

I'm wondering about the nvidia power management options in the control panel. Just tested the 3 modes, I read you guys recommend using "adaptive" for madvr, but in my test it acts like optimal power. With the 3 modes I get best results with prefer maximum performance - ~ 42% GPU usage and rendering times ~ 17 ms. With the other two modes - optimal power and adaptive I get ~ 54% GPU usage and rendering times ~ 22,30 ms...Why adaptive is still recommended?
Siso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2020, 18:07   #58568  |  Link
huhn

because you would be wasting power with the other option. with optimal nvidia may saves so much power that it may just drop frames forever.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2020, 18:59   #58569  |  Link
Siso
Soul Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by huhn View Post
because you would be wasting power with the other option. with optimal nvidia may saves so much power that it may just drop frames forever.
OK I understand about the wasting power, but adaptive doesn't make that much of a sense. Why raise the rendering times and the GPU usage, when you can use your card more efficiently. And I guess in adaptive mode it won't drop any frames like optimal power, right?
Old 8th February 2020, 19:56   #58570  |  Link
huhn

adaptive is not known to drop frames if you need the processing power you will get it with adaptive.

not sure if you understand rendertimes and GPU usage correct in this case.
Old 8th February 2020, 21:04   #58571  |  Link
ryrynz

Yeah render times are not a benchmark.. Stick with adaptive and move on with your life.
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2020, 03:12   #58572  |  Link
nsnhd

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamuriHL View Post
The latest HDR test build is absolutely stunning. Truly a work of art.
Actually, for me personally madVR has saved a lot of money. Instead of HDR display, I bought a 4K SDR monitor with much less price and bigger screen . And my SDR projector becomes refreshed again for HDR movies. Many thanks to Madshi.
nsnhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2020, 04:31   #58573  |  Link
el Filou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siso View Post
Why raise the rendering times and the GPU usage, when you can use your card more efficiently.
Because the clocks are lower while the GPU load is still sufficiently low that you don't get frame drops. Lower clocks with higher GPU usage is more efficient.
Old 9th February 2020, 09:17   #58574  |  Link
jojo54000

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsnhd View Post
Actually, for me personally madVR has saved a lot of money. Instead of HDR display, I bought a 4K SDR monitor with much less price and bigger screen . And my SDR projector becomes refreshed again for HDR movies. Many thanks to Madshi.
So, MadVR dynamic HDR is better than HDR10+/Dolby Vison ?
jojo54000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2020, 10:10   #58575  |  Link
Siso
Soul Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by el Filou View Post
Because the clocks are lower while the GPU load is still sufficiently low that you don't get frame drops. Lower clocks with higher GPU usage is more efficient.
Thanks for the explanation, I will leave it to adaptive then.
Old 9th February 2020, 11:09   #58576  |  Link
jkauff

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojo54000 View Post
So, MadVR dynamic HDR is better than HDR10+/Dolby Vison ?
My TV supports Dolby Vision, but not HDR10+. To my eyes, madVR dynamic HDR makes most plain old HDR10 sources look at least as good as my Dolby Vision sources.
jkauff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2020, 12:07   #58577  |  Link
jojo54000

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkauff View Post
My TV supports Dolby Vision, but not HDR10+. To my eyes, madVR dynamic HDR makes most plain old HDR10 sources look at least as good as my Dolby Vision sources.
Great! so the hdr10 + / dolby vision becomes useless, as much to keep only the hdr10 metadata static?
jojo54000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2020, 12:39   #58578  |  Link
huhn

it's not that simple if dolby vision could be decoded it would still be better and it would be even better if dolby vision just disappears and the same image is just encoded into an PQ HDR stream...
Old 9th February 2020, 13:53   #58579  |  Link
jkauff

I haven’t been following the avsforum thread, so I have no idea how madshi is going about getting the results I see in the current test build. Maybe someone here who has been following that thread can provide more information.
jkauff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2020, 14:40   #58580  |  Link
Yog_Sothoth

Hello again. Is there a place where I can ask a question about madvr, like some forum maybe? I have a serious problem, which many people have probably had as well, so if there is such a place, someone should help me, I think.

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling