Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-4 Encoder GUIs

Old 30th July 2008, 12:39   #81  |  Link
Sharktooth
Mr. Sandman

BS. the no-fast-pskip thing was a problems only ages ago. ppl continue to think it is necesary but it isnt since it was fixed. high bitrate is not necessary since anime are more compressible than movies. 2 passes is only necessary if you aim at a bitrate/filesize otherwise 1 pass CRF is better. 3 passes is only useful if the 2n pass didnt hit the requested bitrate. the "more passes, more qulity" myth is NOT TRUE (it's just a myth), some idiot spread a falsse voice and the result is ppl is wasting a lot of time encoding. Infact the 1pass CRF gives the higher quality results.
For PS3 you have to use the PS3 preset. no-fast-pskip is not necesary, as i already said, however it doesnt influence playback.

Last edited by Sharktooth; 30th July 2008 at 15:48.
Sharktooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2008, 15:41   #82  |  Link
Killerattacks

Thanks for clearing that up
Killerattacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2008, 15:43   #83  |  Link
Dark Shikari
x264 developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharktooth View Post
BS. the no-fast-pskip thing was a problems only ages ago. ppl continue to think it is necesary but it isnt since it was fixed. high bitrate is not necessary since anime are more compressible than movies. 2 passes is only necessary if you aim at a bitrate/filesize otherwise 1 pass CRF is better. 3 passes is onlyy useful if the 2pass encoding didnt hit the requested bitrate. the "more passes, more qulity" myth is NOT TRUE, some idiot spread a falsse voice and the result is ppl is wasting a lot of time encoding. Infact the 1pass CRF gives the higher quality results.
For PS3 you have to use the PS3 preset. no-fast-pskip is not necesary, as i already said, however it doesnt influence playback.
No-fast-pskip does still give a small quality gain; any profile with other more insane settings like --me tesa and --trellis 2 should probably have it.
Dark Shikari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2008, 15:46   #84  |  Link
Sharktooth
Mr. Sandman

infact it is there in the insane profile.
Old 31st July 2008, 15:53   #85  |  Link
Sharktooth
Mr. Sandman

Presets updated: V58.
Old 31st July 2008, 22:08   #86  |  Link
Rumbah

I encoded a film with 2 and 3 b-frames fot the PSP and the one with 3 b-frames didn't drain the batteries more than the one with 2 b-frames.
Rumbah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2008, 02:19   #87  |  Link
Sharktooth
Mr. Sandman

good, then ill keep 3 b-frames in the preset.
Old 3rd August 2008, 02:13   #88  |  Link
Nightshiver
Quality Freak

Hey sharktooth, I just downloaded the zip'ed presets but can't extract them I'm using WinRAR and it's telling me "Unknown method in " and doesn't go on.
Nightshiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2008, 03:13   #89  |  Link
rack04

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightshiver View Post
Hey sharktooth, I just downloaded the zip'ed presets but can't extract them I'm using WinRAR and it's telling me "Unknown method in " and doesn't go on.
Don't extract them, import them. Make sure to read the first post.
rack04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2008, 05:55   #90  |  Link
sekhar_co

Hay Sharktooth, i am new user of meGUI and already encode few movie.
My size of the movie is very small like that-
90MINS (+/- 10MINS) = 300MB
120MINS (+/- 10MINS) = 400MB
And source was m-HD (micro HD: HDD/Blueray encoded to 1 mkv file) which was allready encoded with meGUI and the size is 1.5 or 2.2 GB
My question is How i encode with such small size video and which profile i use to get maximum quality.

Plz try to mention MeGUI application steps. Thanks in advance

Last edited by sekhar_co; 3rd August 2008 at 05:59.
sekhar_co is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2008, 09:26   #91  |  Link
fib0by

I'm encoding a .264 video track to fit it on a DVD DL (8.5 GB). Will multiplex it with the AC3 audio track and author a BD image with tsmuxer after encoding is done. I am targeting the bitrate so that the whole thing, after authoring, fits in 8150 MB.

Anyway, technically, this is an AVCHD disk, not a Blu-Ray disk, is that right? So I should use the Standalone-AVC-HD profile, not the Standalone-Blu-ray profile. Is that correct?

I am asking because I used x264.exe settings from another application (RipBot), which are somewhat similar to the Blu-ray profile (very large buffer size and max bitrate), I authored with tsmuxer and put it on a DVD DL, and the result did not play correctly on the PS3 - the image was freezing every few seconds. I assume this was because a mismatch between the encoder settings (Blu-ray-like) and the nature of the disk I authored (AVCHD, not true 25GB Blu-ray).
fib0by is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2008, 15:08   #92  |  Link
Sharktooth
Mr. Sandman

Quote:
Originally Posted by sekhar_co View Post
Hay Sharktooth, i am new user of meGUI and already encode few movie.
My size of the movie is very small like that-
90MINS (+/- 10MINS) = 300MB
120MINS (+/- 10MINS) = 400MB
And source was m-HD (micro HD: HDD/Blueray encoded to 1 mkv file) which was allready encoded with meGUI and the size is 1.5 or 2.2 GB
My question is How i encode with such small size video and which profile i use to get maximum quality.

Plz try to mention MeGUI application steps. Thanks in advance

presets are explained in the first post.
next time

@fib0by: AVC-HD is included in the presets. use that and not Blu-Ray or settings from other apps.

Last edited by Sharktooth; 3rd August 2008 at 15:11.
Old 3rd August 2008, 18:06   #93  |  Link
fib0by

Quote:
@fib0by: AVC-HD is included in the presets. use that and not Blu-Ray or settings from other apps.
I understand that.
I was asking: is it correct to assume that the AVC-HD preset is the right one for stuff that I put on DVD DL (even though is authored as "BD"), while the Blu-ray preset is the right one for stuff that I may put on actual BD disks?
fib0by is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2008, 18:22   #94  |  Link
tetsuo55
MPC-HC Project Manager

First i want to say thanks for all the hard work you put into the new profiles!

I have a question about the DXVA/Hardware profiles.

I don't really see any differences between the HD hardware profiles, did you use any special settings beyond the basic h264 level compliance? (All of them should basically be 1 profile)

I read something about bluray forcing some settings? in that case that settings should be common to all HD hardware profiles. or does it break another system?

I see you chose ref-frames 3 where 4 is possible, you could make this 4 in all cases for HD

--------------

I know megui is not able to do so yet, but to accurate calculate the maximum ref-frame limit on a video to video basis the following formula can be used:

IF Width="<=720" AND height="<=576" GOTO="SD"
ELSE GOTO="HD"

SD
6531840 / (Height X Width) = max number of ref frames
HD
8355840 / (Height X Width) = max number of ref frames

Last edited by tetsuo55; 3rd August 2008 at 18:32. Reason: Edit: deleted my post
tetsuo55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2008, 19:15   #95  |  Link
Sharktooth
Mr. Sandman

the SD presets use a higher number of reference frames. the user-side difference between HD and SD presets is SD, if used for HD, the playback wont be accelerated by DXVA cards.
having more refs for SD means a slightly better compression (hence quality) but not in all cases. It will be at least equal...

however im sorry but i dont think we will implement a DXVA compliance check since DXVA is windows centric and subject to changes...

Last edited by Sharktooth; 3rd August 2008 at 19:47.
Old 3rd August 2008, 19:32   #96  |  Link
tetsuo55
MPC-HC Project Manager

Quote:
however im sorry bud i dont think we will implement a DXVA compliance check since DXVA is windows centric and subject to changes...
Now i understand your resistance, you think DXVA has something to do with windows.
You're right in thinking so, the name is confusing.

Let me put it this way:

DXVA is the exact same thing as a Bluray player or an X360. Its just a different way of doing the same thing

They all have the same Goal: Play back level 3.1 and level 4.1 compliant files. The rules for playback are defined by the Joint Video Team (JVT).

Since the bugs in x264 have been fixed it has been perfectly capable of encoding files that work on any device that supports hardware decoding of an H264 AVC file. The only difference is the chosen container.

Although its true that DXVA has slightly loose restrictions on things like bitrate the limits we have talked about in the past never exceeded the least capable device.

Its very simple. Any and ALL devices that claim that they can play back HD level 4.1 will only do so if the file does not exceed the following limits:
-MAX bitrate of 40Mbit/s(standard says 50, but i'm not 100% sure that it works on all devices at that bitrate)
-MAX ref frame limit of: 8355840 / (Height X Width) = max number of ref frames

Its very simple. Any and ALL devices that claim that they can play back HD level 3.1 will only do so if the file does not exceed the following limits:
-MAX bitrate of 17.5 Mbit/s
-MAX ref frame limit of: 6531840 / (Height X Width) = max number of ref frames

-----------

Now if i understand correctly you have found an extra limit when the resulting file is played back on a blu-ray player. This limitations should then be valid for all hardware players (that it happens to work on a DXVA player simply means that that device is not as strict with that part of the rules)
Old 3rd August 2008, 19:50   #97  |  Link
Sharktooth
Mr. Sandman

post a feature request in the feature request tracker but i think low priority will be assigned to it.

Last edited by Sharktooth; 4th August 2008 at 02:06.
Old 3rd August 2008, 20:26   #98  |  Link
tetsuo55
MPC-HC Project Manager

okay cool.

And as far as your presets are concerned. All Hd and SD decoders can and probably should have a single preset as they al act the same (aside from any bugs that might be present)
Old 3rd August 2008, 21:23   #99  |  Link
shon3i
BluRay Maniac

I basic agree with tetsuo55 about hardware/bluray profiles, should be one for HD one for SD.

For SD Level 3.0 and 3.1 are fine.

@tetsuo55, your calculation for level 3.1 are wrong.

MaxDPB for level 3.1 is 6750 so when that multiply with 1024 and divide with 1.5 (YV12) you get 4608000 so calculation for max refs are 46080007/(w*h)=max refs, VBV for level 3.1 should be --vbv-maxrate 14000 --vbv-bufsize 14000 for main and --vbv-maxrate 17920 for high profile.

Level 3.0 are more compact for SD video,IIRC all comercial encoders put Level 3.0 on first place, but aslo depends from many factors. I saw some encodes with level 3.2 and working normal on standalones.
shon3i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2008, 02:07   #100  |  Link
Sharktooth
Mr. Sandman

nope, as i already said, SD presets has a higher number of refs and if SD preset is used for HD material DXVA wont work.
also levels are different. there are precise specs for HD and SD... so 2 different presets.
everything exceeding the SD res should be encoded with the HD preset.

Last edited by Sharktooth; 4th August 2008 at 02:09.

Tags
megui, x264 presets