Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > New and alternative video codecs

Closed Thread

Old 1st September 2009, 05:02   #1  |  Link
BilboFett

need help please importing MKV files into Tmpgenc Xpress 4 under win7 x64

Hi! I need some help please getting *.MKV files to import into Tmpgenc Xpress 4 under win7 x64.

The error I am getting is "could not open the video part of the file. Only the audio part can be opened".

You can see the Haali media splitter blinking a few times on the systray trying to load/interpret the MKV file for Tmpgenc, but it just keeps blinking, and then Tmpgenc gives me that error.

I'm not sure how I did it on XP, but eventually, after installing tons of codec packs (mainly CCCP, K-Lite and XP Codecs package) and fiddling with settings (I have no idea what worked), tmpgenc under WinXP eventually was able to fully open .MKV files, loading the video as x264 (or was it h264) and the audio as whatever. It seemed I hit on the right combination to get tmpgenc to talk to directshow to know how to properly read and interpret mkv files.

I also remember that whenever I would load an MKV file into Tmpgenc Xpress there would always be *2* instances of Haali running in the systray (one for video, one for audio??). Sometimes when Tmpgenc Xpress was applying filters to process the video during a preview or encoding, *4* instances of Haali would show up in the systray. This was on XP.

Under Win7 X64 only one-instance of Haali is showing when I try to load MKVs into Tmpgenc Xpress 4.

I don't understand how h264 works natively under Win7 (as reported), and how that would be in harmony or conflict with the various codecs packages I might need to load in order to get directshow or whatever to properly import MKV into tmpgenc.

*Note: The MKVs are all 720p and 1080p HD, x264 or h264, pcm or ac3 audio, and *ALL* play just fine via Windows Media player, Media Player Classic version, etc. Just as they did in XP. The only problem is loading them into Tmpgenc. My purpose is to do processing, some simple editing, and convert to avi. Tmpgenc did it really easy and fast before.

After installing the Win7 codecs package from shark007, the x64 add-on for that, and the k-lite mega, and x64 addition, tmpgenc was at least now recognizing x264 video files, and ac3 files. But now when I try to load the .x264 video-only file, it just freezes and crashes tmpgenc xpress, which is what it used to do when I was running it on XP, until some lucky combo got everything working.

Sorry for the gigantic post but I wanted to give you every possible bit of information to get the best help possible. Any ideas anyone? Any tricks/cheats/workarounds?

Sorry, going back to Xp is not an acceptable solution.
No longer using Tmpgenc is also not what I am looking for, please.
It just seems to me that I don't have everything configured correctly to allow directshow/core-windows decoding of MKV streams to talk to tmpgenc. Tmpgenc seems to be very submissive to whatever your global windows codec settings are configured to.

Thanks for listening and being patient through all that.
Please help if you can
Old 1st September 2009, 10:23   #2  |  Link
Milvus

Quote:
Please help if you can
We can't. Nobody can here (forum rules). Read them. Read the answers to your posts.
Old 1st September 2009, 12:52   #3  |  Link

Closing crosspost.
Closed Thread

Tags
failing, mkv, tmpgenc xpress 4, win7, x64