Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 16th October 2015, 20:29   #33641  |  Link
Arm3nian

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
What exactly do you mean with "scrub"? It's not a term I'm familiar with in the context of video playback. Which subtitle move setting do you have selected? Can I have a sample of the video you have this problem with, and step-by-step guide to reproduce the problem with that sample?
I mean jumping to different parts of the video. Remember the crash involving smooth motion? Like that.

The anime I tested with is 1080 with no black bars, so it takes up the full screen when upscaled to 4k, I guess a 1080 screen with a 1080 source would also work. When I have "to the bottom of the screen/window" selected and I start the video, the subtitles start on the very bottom as expected. But if I jump around, the subtitles move north, and end up where the subtitles would be if I had selected "into active video area". So I guess you could say the first option in 'move subtitles' doesn't work correctly.
Arm3nian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2015, 21:06   #33642  |  Link
sneaker_ger

Quote:
Have you tried with madVR reset to default settings?
Yes. (But as I said I don't use Aero, which means "Old Path" windowed mode)

Quote:
Are we talking about CPU RAM or GPU RAM?
CPU RAM

Quote:
How are you measuring RAM consumption?
Looking at the MPC-HC process in the Windows Task Manager.

Quote:
And which RAM consumption numbers do you get with v0.89.9 and v0.89.11? Thanks!
0.89.9: at start goes to 330k and stays about there no matter what I do
0.89.11: at start goes to 330k, then after first max.->min. to 580k, 2nd max.->min. to 820k and just keeps on growing with roughly that speed to 1G, 2G...
sneaker_ger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2015, 22:00   #33643  |  Link
aufkrawall

Could someone please do me a favor and post a profile rule which activates a profile via a certain scalingFactor.x/y value?
aufkrawall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2015, 23:08   #33644  |  Link
ashlar42

Quote:
You're not saying strength 4 is faster than strength 3, are you? It's not supposed to be that way, if that's what you're saying.

Yes, the performance optimization mostly benefits high strength settings. The previous madVR build got very slow when using high strength. The latest build should still lose some performance when turning up strength, but far less.
No, I'm saying that going from 3 to 4 previously absolutely killed performance, while now is far more affordable. Good job!
ashlar42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2015, 00:23   #33645  |  Link
Arm3nian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aufkrawall View Post
Could someone please do me a favor and post a profile rule which activates a profile via a certain scalingFactor.x/y value?
What do you want the rule to do?
I'm guessing generally you would want something like this:
Code:
if (scalingFactor.x >= 1.2) and (scalingFactor.y >= 1.2) "Profile 1"
else "Profile 2"
Old 17th October 2015, 01:21   #33646  |  Link
agustin9

Subtitle margin problem

The subtitle margin changes with scale using XySubFilter, not with the internal mpc engine.

Example:

I'm using madvr 0.89.11 and XySubFilter 3.1.0.746...
Thanks!
agustin9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2015, 01:32   #33647  |  Link
baii

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arm3nian View Post
What do you want the rule to do?
I'm guessing generally you would want something like this:
Code:
if (scalingFactor.x >= 1.2) and (scalingFactor.y >= 1.2) "Profile 1"
else "Profile 2"
Quote:
The scaling factor rule don't work properly last I tried.

Sent from my SM-T700 using Tapatalk
baii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2015, 01:38   #33648  |  Link
Arm3nian

Quote:
Originally Posted by baii View Post
The scaling factor rule don't work properly last I tried.

Sent from my SM-T700 using Tapatalk
Worked fine for me. Most likely an error in your script. There's a little green check mark that comes up when it thinks everything is correct.
Old 17th October 2015, 02:08   #33649  |  Link
zvans18

i actually do have a problem i can't seem to resolve on my own: for a few releases automatic refresh rate changing hasn't worked. it's not a big deal as the only thing it helps with is 25 fps (i have 50, 60, and 66 profiles in nvidia settings) which i don't watch often. all that happens is occasionally the screen will flicker after player close, if it happens at all

doesn't matter if i use dx9 or 11, fse or not, switch on playback start or fullscreen

win 8.1, gtx 970, 358.50 drivers, MPC-BE x64 1.4.5 787, madvr 89.11, lav 66

i don't want to nuke madvr settings because of how many profiles i have, but will if it's the only fix, i've been overwrite installing madvr since somewhere in late 87.x (whatever the first KCP x64 used)

followup question: what's a good rule of thumb for fresh installing, other than 'when weird stuff starts happening'?

Last edited by zvans18; 17th October 2015 at 02:21.
zvans18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2015, 02:40   #33650  |  Link
AngelGraves13

I switched to the internal subtitle renderer in MPC-BE and all problems are gone.
AngelGraves13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2015, 09:06   #33651  |  Link
M@ssy

If I keep active the image doubling with the cuvid, the images freezes once in full screen

Last edited by M@ssy; 17th October 2015 at 09:12.
M@ssy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2015, 09:35   #33652  |  Link
huhn

known issue with CUVID use DXVA copy back.

Last edited by huhn; 17th October 2015 at 09:47.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2015, 10:43   #33653  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
I mean jumping to different parts of the video. Remember the crash involving smooth motion? Like that.

The anime I tested with is 1080 with no black bars, so it takes up the full screen when upscaled to 4k, I guess a 1080 screen with a 1080 source would also work. When I have "to the bottom of the screen/window" selected and I start the video, the subtitles start on the very bottom as expected. But if I jump around, the subtitles move north, and end up where the subtitles would be if I had selected "into active video area". So I guess you could say the first option in 'move subtitles' doesn't work correctly.
Are you 100% sure you're using XySubFilter 745? What you're describing very much sounds like 744. Please double and triple check - thanks! If you're absolutely and totally sure you're using 745 then please provide me with a small sample of that video file.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneaker_ger View Post
0.89.9: at start goes to 330k and stays about there no matter what I do
0.89.11: at start goes to 330k, then after first max.->min. to 580k, 2nd max.->min. to 820k and just keeps on growing with roughly that speed to 1G, 2G...
I've tried, but I can't reproduce it. Not sure if I have asked this before: Are you using hardware or software decoding? Try software. Do you maybe have a different PC you could try this with? This does sound a bit like the AMD beta driver bug leaking memory, but then I don't know why it should only affect v0.89.11 and not v0.89.9, that doesn't make sense to me.

If all else fails, I'll have to create a couple of test build between v0.89.9 and v0.89.11 to get to the bottom of which exact change caused this issue for you. But really, none of the changes look like they could cause this issue to me, so I'm quite confused about this one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by agustin9 View Post
The subtitle margin changes with scale using XySubFilter, not with the internal mpc engine.
You mean the amount of space between the bottom of the video and the bottom of the subtitles? Yeah, I'm currently using a fixed number of pixels. I suppose I should use a certain percentage of the video height instead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zvans18 View Post
i actually do have a problem i can't seem to resolve on my own: for a few releases automatic refresh rate changing hasn't worked. it's not a big deal as the only thing it helps with is 25 fps (i have 50, 60, and 66 profiles in nvidia settings) which i don't watch often. all that happens is occasionally the screen will flicker after player close, if it happens at all

doesn't matter if i use dx9 or 11, fse or not, switch on playback start or fullscreen

win 8.1, gtx 970, 358.50 drivers, MPC-BE x64 1.4.5 787, madvr 89.11, lav 66
If you think a recent madVR build introduced the problem then please try to isolate which exact build that was. You can download all older builds here:

http://www.videohelp.com/software/ma...sions#download

Otherwise, you could try to create a debug log, then I can tell whether madVR tried to switch refresh rates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelGraves13 View Post
I switched to the internal subtitle renderer in MPC-BE and all problems are gone.
What is "all problems"? Your post contains almost zero information.
madshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2015, 11:30   #33654  |  Link
ashlar42

I still see subs size changing with rescaled size changing. Now, I post two extreme options, taken from desktop, but even at 1080p and ten feet use with HTPC... it means I can't select an ideal subs size because it's either too small, too big, according to the rescaled size. With the flurry of new releases, which I've tried to keep on top of, I forgot whether this was something that was supposed to be already fixed, if it's a planned fix or if it's going to stay like this. Sorry...

madVR 0.89.11, XySubFilter 3.1.0.745
Old 17th October 2015, 11:46   #33655  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

The text subtitles are supposed to be scaled with the video size. All subtitle renderers behave that way. What the subtitles are not supposed to do is change their size if you tell madVR to move them (they did that in v0.89.9). Letting madVR move them should only change their position, but not their size.
Old 17th October 2015, 12:03   #33656  |  Link
aufkrawall

Quote:
Worked fine for me. Most likely an error in your script. There's a little green check mark that comes up when it thinks everything is correct.
Thank you so far.
I still need some help though.

My idea is very simple:
I want madVR to pick the appropriate profile based on scaling factor and fps. I was hoping that a simple enumeration of "if" conditions would do the job, but unfortunately it doesn't.

My script looks like this:
Code:
if (scalingFactor.x = 1.0) and (scalingFactor.y = 1.0) "1.0"
if (scalingFactor.x < 1.0) and (scalingFactor.y < 1.0) "< 1.0"
if (scalingFactor.x > 1.0) and (scalingFactor.y < 1.5) "> 1.0 < 1.5"
if (scalingFactor.x > 1.5) and (scalingFactor.y < 2.2) and (deintFps <= 30) "> 2.2 <= 30fps"
if (scalingFactor.x > 1.5) and (scalingFactor.y < 2.2) and (deintFps > 30) "> 2.2 > 30fps"
Problem is, it only activates profile "1.0" (script is valid, according to madVR). I tried to insert "else" at various places, but it didn't help the way I did it.
I'd be very thankful for ideas.
aufkrawall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2015, 12:06   #33657  |  Link
ashlar42

Quote:
The text subtitles are supposed to be scaled with the video size. All subtitle renderers behave that way. What the subtitles are not supposed to do is change their size if you tell madVR to move them (they did that in v0.89.9). Letting madVR move them should only change their position, but not their size.
Ok, maybe my example was the wrong one, sorry.

What I wanted to show is that, unless I'm mistaken, when scaling to 1080p the subs size seems to change according to the amount of scaling.

So I watch all stuff from 10 feet on a 60" screen but subs size varies according to the source size and the factor it needs to be scaled to. Is this intended behaviour?
Old 17th October 2015, 12:07   #33658  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Quote:
Problem is, it only activates profile "1.0" (script is valid, according to madVR). I tried to insert "else" at various places, but it didn't help the way I did it.
I'd be very thankful for ideas.
All but the first if should probably be "else if" instead, otherwise I see nothing wrong. Never tried to use it myself, I can give it a go in a while if it still doesn't work out.
Old 17th October 2015, 12:08   #33659  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasper93 View Post
madVR flashes frame from the future (probably last in the queue) on frame step. Not on every one, but very often. It looks like that Frame1->Flashes Frame (something from the queue)->Frame2 it is easily reproducible with MPC-HC and CTRL+left arrow to frame step. Seems to happen only with DX11. Here is log http://1drv.ms/1MswFTV
I've tried to reproduce it, but can't. With my AMD GPU and DX11 there's no flashing at all here. I'm still on Windows 8.1 x64, though, maybe that's the difference? Have you tried resetting madVR to default settings (just change to DX11 presentation afterwards)? Still the same problem? Software or copyback or native hardware decoding? Does it occur with every video or just some?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecurityBunny View Post
For me, the flashing was occurring on every subtitle line. Fortunately with v0.89.10 and XySubFilter 3.1.0.745, it seems the flashing only occurs on the first subtitle that occurs now instead of every line. And only when the video is played at a non-native aspect ratio / resolution of the file.
I think this should be fixed in the next build. If not, please let me know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibius View Post
I have a sample from an HDTV cap that SM FRC has trouble with, maybe you can improve it's behavior.
With the latest MPC-HCx64, madVR and LAV, in the first 5 seconds there's heavy frame jumping/repeating and after that it plays fine, disabling SM fixes issue at the start.
I tried different decoding modes in LAV to no avail, but madVR's rendering path made a difference.
The issue above only happens as described with D3D9 new path, with Overlay and D3D11 it's almost gone, and there's still something going on (huge rendering time spikes etc).
When tested with MPC-BEx64 and it's internal decoder the issue isn't as bad, but doesn't stop after 5 seconds and keeps occurring till the end.
Ah, an old German Premiere HD broadcast. I know those well...

No problems on my PC at all. Ok, smooth motion FRC always has one small judder after about 1 second of playback or so, but that's normal. Other than that, playback is perfect on my PC, with both D3D9 new path and D3D11, both in Windowed and FSE modes.

Are you using software or copyback or native DXVA hardware decoding? Try software decoding, and try the "delay playback start" option in madVR. Maybe your CPU/decoder is simply too slow to deliver enough video frames for smooth motion FRC to work with, at the start of playback. Also check that deinterlacing is not turned on. It's not needed for this stream. Or if you want to turn it on, try with forced film mode.
Old 17th October 2015, 12:22   #33660  |  Link
kasper93
MPC-HC Developer

Quote:
I've tried to reproduce it, but can't. With my AMD GPU and DX11 there's no flashing at all here. I'm still on Windows 8.1 x64, though, maybe that's the difference? Have you tried resetting madVR to default settings (just change to DX11 presentation afterwards)? Still the same problem? Software or copyback or native hardware decoding? Does it occur with every video or just some?
I've reseted settings. I changed only to DX11 and enabled ED and can reproduce. It is ED issue. I missed that. Yes, it happens with all videos. Doesn't happen when OSD Stats are enabled. Software decoding. You may need to frame step few frames before is starts to happen, but it is reproducible every time on my PC.

Last edited by kasper93; 17th October 2015 at 12:24.
kasper93 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling