Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > DVD & BD Rebuilder

Old 30th May 2010, 19:03   #8441  |  Link
teberly

Here is the log:
Code:
[23:11:35] BD Rebuilder v0.34.01 (beta)
  - Source:  TEST
  - Input BD size: 5.82 GB
  - Approximate total content: [02:16:50.485]
  - Target BD size: 23.49 GB
  - Windows Version: 6.1 [7600]
  - Resize SD to HD 720p enabled
  - Audio Settings: AC3=1 DTS=1 HD=0 Kbs=448
[23:11:42] PHASE ONE, Encoding
 - [23:11:42] Extracting A/V streams [VID_00001]
 - [23:14:23] Reencoding: VID_00001 (1 of 2)
 - [23:14:23] Collecting video information
   - Source Video: MPEG-2, 720x480
   - Rate/Length: 29.970fps, 164,056 frames
   - Convert: 1280x720, 59.940fps, 328,112 frames
   - Bitrate: 22,333 Kbs
 - [23:14:23] Reencoding: VID_00001, Pass 1 of 2
 - [23:14:23] Reencoding: VID_00001, Pass 2 of 2
 - [00:10:35] Video Encode complete
 - [00:10:35] Reencoding audio tracks (if req'd)
 - [00:11:57] Multiplexing M2TS
 - [00:21:34] Extracting A/V streams [VID_00002]
 - [00:22:47] Reencoding: VID_00002 (2 of 2)
 - [00:22:47] Collecting video information
   - Source Video: MPEG-2, 720x480
   - Rate/Length: 29.970fps, 82,012 frames
   - Convert: 1280x720, 59.940fps, 164,024 frames
   - Bitrate: 22,367 Kbs
 - [00:22:47] Reencoding: VID_00002, Pass 1 of 2
 - [00:22:47] Reencoding: VID_00002, Pass 2 of 2
 - [00:52:55] Video Encode complete
 - [00:52:55] Reencoding audio tracks (if req'd)
 - [00:53:37] Multiplexing M2TS
[00:58:15]PHASE ONE complete
[00:58:16]PHASE TWO - Rebuild Started
 - [00:58:16] Rebuilding BD file Structure
[00:58:16] - Encode and Rebuild complete
 - WORKFILES folder removed.
[00:58:16]JOB: TEST finished.
I rip the DVD Star Trek: TNG Season One Disc One with ANYDVD HD. Then I use DVD NExt Copy 4 to a create Blu-ray disc structure with each episode a .m2ts file. But everything is still SD. So I use BD-RB to open the new Blu-Ray structure and set it to convert to HD.

In the log I posted the .avs script for VID_00001 did not include the convertfs=true command and the result was audio out of sync and rapid playback. VID_00002 did have the convertfps=true and all was good.

I then tested VID_00001 by editing the .AVS script to include convertfps=true and used MeGUI and all turned out right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdobbs View Post
You shouldn't have to use it except as BD-RB decides (normally for sources that use pulldown). The fact that it is only happening to you makes me think you might be somehow modifying the original before presenting it to BD-RB -- I can't know without logs. Are you preprocessing in any way (using other programs before running the source through BD-RB)?

It would help if you posted your logs... is the source AVC, VC-1, MPEG? Is it an original disc? What disc is it? A little useful information can make the response to your bug report a lot more meaningful.
teberly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2010, 19:05   #8442  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by teberly View Post
I rip the DVD Star Trek: TNG Season One Disc One with ANYDVD HD. Then I use DVD NExt Copy 4 to a create Blu-ray disc structure with each episode a .m2ts file. But everything is still SD. So I use BD-RB to open the new Blu-Ray structure and set it to convert to HD.

In the log I posted the .avs script for VID_00001 did not include the convertfs=true command and the result was audio out of sync and rapid playback. VID_00002 did have the convertfps=true and all was good.

I then tested VID_00001 by editing the .AVS script to include convertfps=true and used MeGUI and all turned out right.
Yep that's what I thought. I do not accept bug reports on discs that have been preprocessed. The bug is almost always in the preprocessing (as I believe it to be in this case), not BD-RB. Sorry.

So I assume that the original disc is DVD (not BD), and is in MPEG-2 format? Somehow in the preprocess it is probable that the pulldown flags are being removed and that is the source of the issue. The other possibility is that the source is in 23.976 progressive format -- which is fine for DVD but is illegal for Blu-Ray.

In other words, this isn't a bug in BD-RB, but in your preparation. You may want to try using PULLDOWN.EXE against the source video in order to set the pulldown flags and make it legal. Also, if this is the case, you may also want to report to the makers of "DVD NExt Copy 4" that they accepting an incorrect format and are creating a non-compliant BD disc.

Last edited by jdobbs; 30th May 2010 at 19:25.
jdobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2010, 19:14   #8443  |  Link
teberly

Ok - sorry to have reported it as a bug. The original discs are DVD in MPEG-2 - I'll try pulldown.exe.

Quote:
Yep that's what I thought. I do not accept bug reports on discs that have been preprocessed. The bug is almost always in the preprocessing (as I believe it to be in this case), not BD-RB. Sorry.

So I assume that the original disc is DVD (not BD), and is in MPEG-2 format? Somehow in the preprocess it is probable that the pulldown flags are being removed and that is the source of the issue. The other possibility is that the source is in 23.976 progressive format -- which is fine for DVD but is illegal for Blu-Ray.

In other words, this isn't a bug in BD-RB, but in your preparation. You may want to try using PULLDOWN.EXE against the video in order to set the pulldown flags and make it legal.

Last edited by jdobbs; 30th May 2010 at 19:26.
teberly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2010, 19:16   #8444  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by teberly View Post
Ok - sorry to have reported it as a bug. The original discs are DVD in MPEG-2 - I'll try pulldown.exe.
It's all cool. That's why I'm here.

Last edited by jdobbs; 30th May 2010 at 19:31.
Old 30th May 2010, 19:38   #8445  |  Link
santito

no spanish audio

a friend of mine is having a problem with his bdrebuilder..

everytime he make a backup .. he select the appropiate audio tracks (english, spanish, etc).. but when he burns the bluray.. it plays fine.. but only with the main audio... (normally english)

any ideas?
santito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2010, 19:40   #8446  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by santito View Post
a friend of mine is having a problem with his bdrebuilder..

everytime he make a backup .. he select the appropiate audio tracks (english, spanish, etc).. but when he burns the bluray.. it plays fine.. but only with the main audio... (normally english)

any ideas?
Check the SETUP dialog for the defaults, it's possible he is not keeping what he thinks. When you exit and come back in, the defaults are used, not what you selected before exiting.
Old 30th May 2010, 21:58   #8447  |  Link
setarip_old

@jdobbs

So, based on what you and "deank" now say (Changing copy protection flag of no benefit) is there a valid purpose/benefit for beta testing in using v.34.02?
setarip_old is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2010, 22:08   #8448  |  Link
Fullasoul

I've tried to search for this issue in-thread using a few different keywords, but I've not found anything (although I suspect it's in here somewhere/somehow)...

In many cases, when a blu-ray has some kind of subpicture (pop-up commentary, for example), the audio doesn't work on the rebuilt version.

Latest example for me was Karate Kid. When I load the original into Rebuilder to set up for compression, there's an audio track called "AUD_003 (2nd) DTS-Express, Stereo, English" that cannot be activated. It loads with the red X next to it and it can't be changed. Playing back the rebuild, the video of the popup commentary shows up where it belongs, but there's no sound (presumably because of said inactive audio track).

Is this still a common occurrence, or is there some known workaround at this point?
Fullasoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2010, 22:19   #8449  |  Link
Ch3vr0n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fullasoul View Post
I've tried to search for this issue in-thread using a few different keywords, but I've not found anything (although I suspect it's in here somewhere/somehow)...

In many cases, when a blu-ray has some kind of subpicture (pop-up commentary, for example), the audio doesn't work on the rebuilt version.

Latest example for me was Karate Kid. When I load the original into Rebuilder to set up for compression, there's an audio track called "AUD_003 (2nd) DTS-Express, Stereo, English" that cannot be activated. It loads with the red X next to it and it can't be changed. Playing back the rebuild, the video of the popup commentary shows up where it belongs, but there's no sound (presumably because of said inactive audio track).

Is this still a common occurrence, or is there some known workaround at this point?
That's because the secondary audio stream uses DTS-Express. There currently is no way to decode that audio stream from the main DTS stream. If it was dolby digital it would be possible, but as it right now it cannot be done.

If you wish to make a duplicate AND retain the audio for the pip stream, then your only choice is to do a full 1:1 BD50 backup
Ch3vr0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2010, 22:35   #8450  |  Link
MILLZY

I would just like to thank everyone involved with the workaround for the ps3 problem. I have tried a recent backup that would not play before but now plays perfectly after another burn with the new settings.
MILLZY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2010, 02:15   #8451  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by setarip_old View Post
@jdobbs

So, based on what you and "deank" now say (Changing copy protection flag of no benefit) is there a valid purpose/benefit for beta testing in using v.34.02?
Yes. It is the latest and the only one I will support. It also will correct issues related to other ripping packages.

For example:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MILLZY View Post
I would just like to thank everyone involved with the workaround for the ps3 problem. I have tried a recent backup that would not play before but now plays perfectly after another burn with the new settings.
Old 31st May 2010, 04:04   #8452  |  Link
setarip_old

@jdobbs

Thanks for clarifying ;>}
setarip_old is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2010, 08:46   #8453  |  Link
Rob_G

x264 possible bug

Ok, I finally narrowed down the cause for pass 2 encoding failures. X264 cannot read the stats file if it's not on 'local' disk! If you are running virtualbox (example) as I am and your work area is on a mapped drive, a 2 pass encode will fail at the beginning of pass 2.

x264 [info]: using SAR=1/1
x264 [info]: using cpu capabilities: MMX2 SSE2Fast SSSE3 Cache64
x264 [error]: ratecontrol_init: can't open stats file
x264 [error]: x264_encoder_open failed

I moved the stats file to the C: drive and executed the last command from lastcmd.txt, except the path for the stats file was modified accordingly. It worked - finally!

Rob
Rob_G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2010, 10:15   #8454  |  Link
deank
Programmer (or just 教务长)

Quote:
Yes. It is the latest and the only one I will support. It also will correct issues related to other ripping packages.
The author of DVDfab replied, so it will be okay...

Quote:
Hi Dean,

Thank you very much for the link.

DVDFab 7 will remove the copy protection flag, but old version of DVDFab
(maybe 6?) does not remove it.

Best Regards,
Fengtao
Old 31st May 2010, 19:00   #8455  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob_G View Post
Ok, I finally narrowed down the cause for pass 2 encoding failures. X264 cannot read the stats file if it's not on 'local' disk! If you are running virtualbox (example) as I am and your work area is on a mapped drive, a 2 pass encode will fail at the beginning of pass 2.

x264 [info]: using SAR=1/1
x264 [info]: using cpu capabilities: MMX2 SSE2Fast SSSE3 Cache64
x264 [error]: ratecontrol_init: can't open stats file
x264 [error]: x264_encoder_open failed

I moved the stats file to the C: drive and executed the last command from lastcmd.txt, except the path for the stats file was modified accordingly. It worked - finally!

Rob
I'd have to guess that the error is with the virtual drive software rather than X264. I'm sure that simple system calls to the O/S are made for opening and closing files... Sometimes you will find that these types of software have delays (due to cache flushes etc.) in closing even though they return control to the program. Then when the program attempts to reopen -- the file appears to still be in use. Just guessing -- but I've seen it before (especially with antivirus software that does realtime scanning). I remember having to modify a program to delay reopening a file for a half a second before because of A/V delays.

Last edited by jdobbs; 31st May 2010 at 19:04.
Old 31st May 2010, 19:13   #8456  |  Link
eTiMaGo

An additional note to the PS3/copy protection bug, on my trusty old Sony S350, previews, warnings, menu videos would just be black... they would play through, and I would see the menu graphical elements, but no video.

After re-burning a couple movies with that ImgBurn setting, they play like a charm!

Sooo... Thanks DVDFab, you were an interesting experiment but I'll stick with AnyDVD
eTiMaGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2010, 19:51   #8457  |  Link
deank
Programmer (or just 教务长)

I guess LIGHTNINGUK should default this option to [x]
Old 31st May 2010, 22:37   #8458  |  Link
santito

about 25fps

i have a bluray that the bdrebuilder detect it as.. 24fps

is there any way that my NTSC console will play it after compressed?
santito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2010, 23:12   #8459  |  Link
DK

24 is the most used speed you will find on BD so dont worry.
DK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2010, 00:10   #8460  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by santito View Post
i have a bluray that the bdrebuilder detect it as.. 24fps

is there any way that my NTSC console will play it after compressed?
If the original plays at that speed, why wouldn't a copy?