Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 21st October 2015, 15:28   #33801  |  Link
DigitalLF

first of a bugreport!
in MadVR. devices - sony vm500es - properties - green text right of "test projector" says (JVC) until i press "FIND"/"TEST" again, even if the ip is correct.

Quote:
Sorry, typo. I meant: "Do you have black bar *detection* activated"?
yes!

Quote:
Do you have any other software which could potentially be issuing ip control commands to your JVC while madVR is running? That could cause trouble.
Just so you know. I have a Control4 system that talks TCP/IP with my projector!

Quote:
I didn't mean which *device* was bold. I mean the "screen config" profiles. You do have different "screen config" profiles setup, so you could activate different lens memories, right? When you open the settings dialog while madVR is doing video playback, one of the sceen config *profiles* should be bold. Is it always the correct one?
oh sorry! No! i did not know there was a "screen config group" but i don't know how to script. i saw that i can make hotkeys for it and i tried that and that did not work more then that the OSD said "screen mode 2.40:1" or something like that.

EDIT: i now tried to make a script. Is this correct? on a "1.85:1" movie it still uses "2.40:1" my profiles are called "1.77:1", "1.85:1", "2.40:1"
Code:
if (AR = 1.85:1) "1.85:1" else 
if (AR = 2.35:1) "2.40:1" else 
if (AR = 2.40:1) "2.40:1" else "1.77:1"

Quote:
1) What happens if you activate mem2, and then while it's still in the process of switching to mem2, if you activate mem2 *again*? Does it abort the operation then? Or does the 2nd mem2 button press have no effect?
it stops and says failed, if i press mem2 while mem2 is being "loaded" if i then press "mem3" it goes back to "mem3"

Quote:
2) What happens if you activate mem2, wait until it's fully done, then activate mem2 again? Does the projector do anything at all? Or is it clever enough to know that nothing needs to be done?
then the projectors OSD just shows and says "adj. completed".

Quote:
With this new build please also repeat the following 2 tests:
downloaded and tested.

Quote:
1) Does abort work correctly now?
no it does not. still nothing. are you sending a incorrect command?

Quote:
2) If you press mem2, and then mem1, before mem2 is fully done, does it properly abort mem2 and automatically activate mem1 now, with just the one button press?
No it stops like a "ABORT" would. and writes a log line "failed"

Last edited by DigitalLF; 21st October 2015 at 16:55.
DigitalLF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2015, 16:28   #33802  |  Link
aufkrawall

Maybe linear light should be used by default for SuperRes?
Also with strength 3, sharpness 2 an (I think mostly unwanted) increase of brightness can be observed without it.

LL on:

LL off:
aufkrawall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2015, 18:08   #33803  |  Link
JarrettH

Is there some reason why I can't get the madvr test patterns (ytp files) to load? It's been like this for 6 months or more. Just says cannot render file. I'm on 88.21 and MPC 1.7.9, both 64-bit. Does this maybe have a 64-bit conflict? Windows 7 SP1
JarrettH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2015, 18:29   #33804  |  Link
cvrkuth

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvrkuth View Post
After install new version, my devices are gone?
Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
That's weird. I can only guess that your settings configuration got corrupted/damaged somehow. Does going back to the old version fix the problem? Please run a checkdisk/scandisk to make sure your file system is healthy.
Uninstall AMD-Catalyst-15.9.1Beta-64Bit and install AMD-Catalyst-15.7.1-Win10-64bit and now is ok

Regards!
cvrkuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2015, 20:46   #33805  |  Link
Olivier C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by michkrol View Post

Seems interesting. Are you sure the GPU is not changing frequencies to save power?

On a quick test I get 35% usage for Catmull-Rom without linear light and 41% with LL for image downscaling on a 24fps 4K viedo and that's on a Geforce 750Ti(!).

Could you post your settings, especially scaling algorithms used, smooth motion (on/off), dithering used and screenshot of debug OSD?
Thanks for your reply.

You can find below the settings and results with Linear Light On & Off :

OSD MPC-HC & GPU-Z with Linear Light OFF :

OSD MPC-HC & GPU-Z with Linear Light ON :

madVR - General Settings :

madVR - Output :

madVR - Trade Quality for Performance :

madVR - Downscale :

madVR - Chroma Upscaling :

madVR - Double Luma :

madVR - Upscaling Refinement :

madVR - Dithering :

madVR - Smooth Motion :

madVR - Image Enhancements :

madVR - Deband :

Hope it helps
Olivier C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2015, 21:09   #33806  |  Link
mcn

I'm using madVR with MPC-HC.
I noticed that if I take a screenshot with the window resized below the actual video size the image is taken at the window resolution, with aspect ratio correction (if any) applied.

This is an interesting behaviour and I would like to ask if it's possible (and how) to:
  • force screenshots to be always taken at the original video resolution
  • take screenshots at the window size resolution even when it's resized to be larger than the original video dimensions
mcn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2015, 22:13   #33807  |  Link
jmonier

Quote:
Just give the test tool a try, please, to double check the reliability of Ip Control with your JVC, using my code. Thanks.

Do you have any other software which could potentially be issuing ip control commands to your JVC while madVR is running? That could cause trouble.
Here's what's happening:

If the JVC is off or it's been turned on locally (JVC remote control or power button) everything works as expected using your program.

If the JVC has been turned on remotely by me (either by RS232 or TCPIP) then your program will still find it, but always reports power state as standby and NONE of the other commands work.

My software does not issue IP (or rs232) control commands once power up is completed until power down. Note that I close the socket after every control command (and that the JVC would close it if I don't).

Thus it seems that once the JVC has been turned on by a control command from one source, it will no longer accept control commands from any other source (TCPIP or RS232) until a power off command is issued from the same source that issued the power on.
jmonier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2015, 22:14   #33808  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Quote:
In the next few weeks only expect bugfixes and small improvements, no big new features. Need to concentrate on my daily job for a while now.
Honestly I consider that a good thing. With all these new features in every other madVR release of late, there hasn't been a version for a long time that I considered perfectly stable and problem free.
Maybe a period of quiet and collecting and fixing issues is a good thing.

Last edited by nevcairiel; 22nd October 2015 at 00:29.
nevcairiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2015, 23:39   #33809  |  Link
agustin9

I'm still having problems with the subtitle margin. The bottom margin when moving the subtitles to the bottom of the window isn't woking for me. Anyone with the same problem? Thanks!
agustin9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2015, 00:54   #33810  |  Link
truexfan81

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevcairiel View Post
Honestly I consider that a good thing. With all these new features in every other madVR release of late, there hasn't been a version for a long time that I considered perfectly stable and problem free.
Maybe its because my athlon 2 dualcore 2.9, 4GB ram, and NVIDIA GTX 650 1GB is to old to use any of the new stuff, but i've had 0 issues with the latest versions of madvr.

i am mostly just using Jinc3AR with AdaptiveSharpen 0.7 pre upscale

Last edited by truexfan81; 22nd October 2015 at 00:57.
truexfan81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2015, 01:11   #33811  |  Link
djsolidsnake86

with a 7850 what are the suggested settings?
djsolidsnake86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2015, 05:12   #33812  |  Link
Arm3nian

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsolidsnake86 View Post
with a 7850 what are the suggested settings?
Whatever looks good to you and stays under the max render time.
Arm3nian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2015, 06:41   #33813  |  Link
huhn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olivier C. View Post
Thanks for your reply.

You can find below the settings and results with Linear Light On & Off :
should be a Vram issue with madVR. it looks like it tries to take more than 6 GB ram and is now using a ram page file which is terrible slow.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2015, 07:07   #33814  |  Link
ionutm80

Hi guys,

I really need your help in understanding the effect of some changes I have made in madVR that allowed me to have a smooth playback again after hours of fighting with a nasty stuttering. Sorry if this seems stupid but I just need to know whether I have finally found the magic solution or is just something circumstantial.

First let me list my rig and the initial settings:

- Intel NUC D34010WYKH, intel Core I3 4010U (r (1.7 GHz Dual-Core processor with 3 MB smart cache), Intel HD 4400 GPU, Crucial 2x4GB = 8GB DDR3 1600MHz, 60GB OCZ Agility SSD
- LAVFIlters: DXVA Copy-Back
- madVR:
* chroma-up: BCB75AR
* image-up: DXVA
* image doubling: None
* image-down: DXVA
* enable fullscreen exclusive mode
* dithering: ordered
* smooth motion: off
- SVP: default 1g profile, 59.94Hz
- TV; Sony KDL26EX320, 60Hz, 1366x768
- ReClock: WASAPI exclusive Asus Xonar U3, 24 bit padded into 32, resolution of 59.94 input manually first time the video plays
- movies: Blu-Rays: 1920x1080 / 800, 23,976fps, DVDs: 720x576, 25,000fps (PAL) , Samsung S4: 1920x1080, 29,911fps.

With the above settings and everything else left as default in madVR I had a terrible stuttering even if madVR stats showed 1 frame drop every 6-7 hours. Please see print screen below:

But then I have just spotted that my "present queue" was showing 5-7/8 instead of 7-8/8 so I decided to drop the frames presented in advance from 8 to 4 in fullscreen mode and from 8 to 3 in windowed mode. Also in the tab trade quality for performance I've checked the first 4 options up to "store custom pixel shader ..." ... and voila my "present queue" was now 2-3/3 (windowed) and 3-4/4 (fullscreen) and the stutter was almost non percievable. Then I remember an article on Anandtech where they tested the NUC (the Core I5 version) with madVR and used "CPU and GPU queue sizes of 128 and 24". I said why not try, did that and no more stutter visible, madVR shows 1 drop frame every 1.02 days and SVP performance graphs show CPU average at 67% with 1g profile. Indeed the guys at Anandtech also increased the frames presented in advance to 16 ... and this is where I'm a bit lost. They have practically maxed everything.
http://www.anandtech.com/show/7566/i...ff-pc-review/5

Can you please tell me in which way did my PC benefited from the above and whether maxing out CPU and GPU queues size is a right thing to do in my case? Are there any other settings that would give me a better bang for the buck?

Last edited by ionutm80; 22nd October 2015 at 07:37.
ionutm80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2015, 10:45   #33815  |  Link
ashlar42

mashi, I fully admit that I'm ignorant about this, and you might have already given an answer for this. Considering your experience with dedicated scalers (Lumagen, if I remember correctly from our Panasonic discussions for 1:1 pixel mappings), is Non Linear Stretch for 4:3 material something you might be considering for the future?
ashlar42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2015, 10:55   #33816  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetLow View Post
May be you put link to this http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.ph...88#post1724688 from first post of the thread?
Not a bad idea, but then I don't think many users bother to read the first post. At some point there's going to be a manual or something like that. For now we'll have to live with constantly repeating support requests, I fear...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JarrettH View Post
Is there some reason why I can't get the madvr test patterns (ytp files) to load? It's been like this for 6 months or more. Just says cannot render file. I'm on 88.21 and MPC 1.7.9, both 64-bit. Does this maybe have a 64-bit conflict? Windows 7 SP1
The test patterns currently only support 32bit media players.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvrkuth View Post
Uninstall AMD-Catalyst-15.9.1Beta-64Bit and install AMD-Catalyst-15.7.1-Win10-64bit and now is ok
Ah ok. That means that with the beta driver seemingly no monitors were reported at all to madVR by your OS/driver.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olivier C. View Post
You can find below the settings and results with Linear Light On & Off
Quote:
Originally Posted by huhn View Post
should be a Vram issue with madVR. it looks like it tries to take more than 6 GB ram and is now using a ram page file which is terrible slow.
^

Yep, seems to be a GPU RAM size issue. When enabling linear light, I'm using 32bit floating point textures for some processing steps, which consume twice as much RAM as the default format. I'm a bit surprised GPU RAM size seems to more than double, though, that doesn't make a lot of sense, to be honest. Anyway, you can probably work around the issue by reducing the size of the GPU queue a bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rack04 View Post
madVR v0.89.12.0 seems to work as expected.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aufkrawall View Post
Performance improvements of NNEDI3 and SuperRes seem to pay off, I can watch 1080p60 -> WQHD with NNEDI3 32 chroma, Jinc AR image, SuperRes 3 passes and maximum deband + SM without dropped frames on my GTX 980 OC.
I'm relatively sure that this wasn't possible in the past.
Good to hear!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalLF View Post
first of a bugreport!
in MadVR. devices - sony vm500es - properties - green text right of "test projector" says (JVC) until i press "FIND"/"TEST" again, even if the ip is correct.
Ooops, good catch! Here's a fixed madHcCtrl.exe for you:

http://madshi.net/madHcCtrlSony.rar

Does that fix the problem for you? It might also make lens memories work for your Sony.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalLF View Post
EDIT: i now tried to make a script. Is this correct? on a "1.85:1" movie it still uses "2.40:1" my profiles are called "1.77:1", "1.85:1", "2.40:1"
Code:
if (AR = 1.85:1) "1.85:1" else 
if (AR = 2.35:1) "2.40:1" else 
if (AR = 2.40:1) "2.40:1" else "1.77:1"
AR is often not *exactly* one of those numbers. E.g. imagine a Cinemascope Blu-Rays with 1920x796 active pixels. That's an AR of 2.4120603015075376884422110552764. You can't write the script in such a way to handle every possible AR. So instead of using "if AR = something" use "if AR > something". So your script could read:

Code:
if (AR > 1.9) "2.40:1" else
if (AR > 1.8) "1.85:1" else "1.77:1"
That said, do you really need different profiles for 1.85:1 and 1.77:1? Your call, though. Personally, with my CIH setup I just have 2 profiles, one for Cinemascope movies, and one for every other AR. So I'm just using "if (AR > 1.9) "21:9" else "16:9"".

Quote:
Originally Posted by aufkrawall View Post
Maybe linear light should be used by default for SuperRes?
Also with strength 3, sharpness 2 an (I think mostly unwanted) increase of brightness can be observed without it.
The difference doesn't seem so dramatic to me. But yes, there is a difference. But look at the roof ceiling line of the left most building. The line is noticably fatter in the linear light image. Once again, as I said before, ideally linear light should be enabled if the source was downscaled in linear light, or if it wasn't downscaled at all. But if the source was downscaled in gamma light from a higher resolution master, then disabling linear light should produce results that are nearer to the original master.

I'm aware of that it's pretty hard to say when linear light should be enabled and when not. So maybe I should remove the option. But which option should I set it to then? Especially with Anime content the difference between linear light and gamma light can be *huge*. Black lines are very noticably fatter when using linear light.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcn View Post
I'm using madVR with MPC-HC.
I noticed that if I take a screenshot with the window resized below the actual video size the image is taken at the window resolution, with aspect ratio correction (if any) applied.

This is an interesting behaviour and I would like to ask if it's possible (and how) to:
  • force screenshots to be always taken at the original video resolution
  • take screenshots at the window size resolution even when it's resized to be larger than the original video dimensions
Screenshot functionality will be revisited at some point in the future, but probably not in the next few weeks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmonier View Post
Here's what's happening:

If the JVC is off or it's been turned on locally (JVC remote control or power button) everything works as expected using your program.

If the JVC has been turned on remotely by me (either by RS232 or TCPIP) then your program will still find it, but always reports power state as standby and NONE of the other commands work.

My software does not issue IP (or rs232) control commands once power up is completed until power down. Note that I close the socket after every control command (and that the JVC would close it if I don't).

Thus it seems that once the JVC has been turned on by a control command from one source, it will no longer accept control commands from any other source (TCPIP or RS232) until a power off command is issued from the same source that issued the power on.
That's quite interesting! Let's look at the possible scenario cases one by one and let me ask a few questions for clarification:

1) projector is turned on by rs232

How is this possible?? At least my JVC X35 has a setup menu option to either use rs232 or ip control - I have to choose! Does your projector not have such a menu option? If it does have such an option, have you set it to rs232 or ip control?

Does your own ip control software work if you turned the projector on via rs232, while my ip control test tool fails?

2) projector is turned on by your ip control software

In this situation my ip control test tool fails, too? Does your own ip control software manage to switch lens memories or stuff in this situation, while my test tool fails?

3) projector is turned on physically (remote or project power switch)

In this situation my ip control test tool works perfectly?

4) projector is turned on by my ip control test tool

What happens in this case? Does my test tool work? Does your ip control software work?

Quote:
Well, I wasn't planning to do intensive bug searching & fixing, instead of adding new features. The point was just to reduce madVR development time for a while. So I'm not sure if that will help overall stability much.

Anyway, I think the biggest stability problems were caused by adding support for rendering in paused&stopped graph state, followed by changes needed to make black bar detection work. All those changes were rather invasive, and thus came with a high risk of new stability issues. However, I think most of the other new features planned for the near future are less risky, so stability should trend up now, regardless of whether I add new features or not.

Do you have any specific problems with v0.89.12? My impression from feedback so far is that it's working pretty well and stable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by agustin9 View Post
I'm still having problems with the subtitle margin. The bottom margin when moving the subtitles to the bottom of the window isn't woking for me. Anyone with the same problem? Thanks!
Which subtitle renderer? SRT, ASS or bitmap (PGS/SUP)? Screenshots and a sample would be nice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ionutm80 View Post
I really need your help in understanding the effect of some changes I have made in madVR that allowed me to have a smooth playback again after hours of fighting with a nasty stuttering. Sorry if this seems stupid but I just need to know whether I have finally found the magic solution or is just something circumstantial.

With the above settings and everything else left as default in madVR I had a terrible stuttering even if madVR stats showed 1 frame drop every 6-7 hours. Please see print screen below:

[...]

But then I have just spotted that my "present queue" was showing 5-7/8 instead of 7-8/8 so I decided to drop the frames presented in advance from 8 to 4 in fullscreen mode and from 8 to 3 in windowed mode. Also in the tab trade quality for performance I've checked the first 4 options up to "store custom pixel shader ..." ... and voila my "present queue" was now 2-3/3 (windowed) and 3-4/4 (fullscreen) and the stutter was almost non percievable. Then I remember an article on Anandtech where they tested the NUC (the Core I5 version) with madVR and used "CPU and GPU queue sizes of 128 and 24". I said why not try, did that and no more stutter visible, madVR shows 1 drop frame every 1.02 days and SVP performance graphs show CPU average at 67% with 1g profile. Indeed the guys at Anandtech also increased the frames presented in advance to 16 ... and this is where I'm a bit lost. They have practically maxed everything.
http://www.anandtech.com/show/7566/i...ff-pc-review/5

Can you please tell me in which way did my PC benefited from the above and whether maxing out CPU and GPU queues size is a right thing to do in my case? Are there any other settings that would give me a better bang for the buck?
I've no idea why both reducing and greatly increasing the queue sizes would help over the default settings. Sounds strange to me. Generally, I do like high queue sizes, as long as your CPU and GPU RAM can handle it. There shouldn't be much downside to high queue sizes, except maybe slower switching between windowed <-> fullscreen mode, and slower OSD reaction. But I suppose most people would find these problems of low importance compared to smooth and reliable video playback. So by all means, go crazy with the queue sizes etc. Just make sure you don't choose values which your CPU/GPU RAM can't handle, because doing that would slow things down dramatically.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashlar42 View Post
mashi, I fully admit that I'm ignorant about this, and you might have already given an answer for this. Considering your experience with dedicated scalers (Lumagen, if I remember correctly from our Panasonic discussions for 1:1 pixel mappings), is Non Linear Stretch for 4:3 material something you might be considering for the future?
Personally, I consider NLS very ugly and damaging to the source. Especially horizontal camera pans look like you'd had taken drugs. So while I might add it at some point, it's very low priority.
madshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2015, 10:59   #33817  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Quote:
Do you have any specific problems with v0.89.12? My impression from feedback so far is that it's working pretty well and stable.
So far it seems pretty good, indeed. Will have to keep an eye on it.
Old 22nd October 2015, 11:16   #33818  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
So far it seems pretty good, indeed. Will have to keep an eye on it.
Glad to hear that!

FWIW, the later v0.89.x builds have several stability bug fixes in them, which e.g. v0.88.x/v0.87.x and older builds are lacking. E.g. I've been working with CiNcH on live TV playback stability when switching TV channels. He says the later v0.89.x builds are more stable with DVBViewer than any previous build ever was. So I'm hopeful about stability, especially considering that no further *invasive* changes are planned for the near future.
madshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2015, 11:56   #33819  |  Link
amire

nnedi3 doesn't work on my system .freeze the image .need fix thx
amire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2015, 12:26   #33820  |  Link
huhn

you didn't provide us any informations for what ever reason so here is may guess.

disable CUVID in lavfilter and try again.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling