Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 17th April 2017, 18:48   #43361  |  Link
jerryleungwh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmodian View Post
I have something similar happen when my GPU downclocks too much. Maybe temperature or too aggressive power saving?
Hm I didn't mess with power saving options so unless it is changed by default upon the update I doubt it has something to do with it, and temperature should be somewhat the same as before too
jerryleungwh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2017, 19:32   #43362  |  Link
XMonarchY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy o View Post
For those mentioning problems with ReClock and the creators update a couple pages back, it's a problem with FSE. Disable that for the moment and clear the clock timings database in ReClock settings.
Yeah, but is the problem with FSE or with Creator's Update or with ReClock? madVR FSE worked perfectly fine before Creator's Update.

For now I am sticking to just using 24.000Hz mode for my TV - that way I can enjoy FSE's 10bit+ color depth.

Has madshi looked into it? I already reported it on ReClock forums and some members there confirmed the existence of this issue. It is specific to Creator's Update, not pre-Creator's Update Windows 10.
Old 17th April 2017, 20:06   #43363  |  Link
Knight77

HDR question: I'm playing a HDR BT2020 video and my TV support HDR . In madvr settings I selected HDR passthrough, obviously when I started the video I manually changed TV mode from normal Cinema to HDR video.
When it's playing video info (crtl+J) show

"hdr 1000 nits bt2020 -> dci-p3"

Is it normal/correct? Why "->DCI-P3"?

Thanks!
Knight77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2017, 20:09   #43364  |  Link
sneaker_ger

It's normal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyber201 View Post
It's normal when I play an HDR video with Windows10 and KODI or MPC-HC, the madvr show me this info:

matrix BT.2020
primaries BT.2020
HDR 4000 nits, BT.2020 -> DCI-P3

Why DCI-P3 and not BT.2020?

This is for all HDR videos
Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
Yes. The "-> DCI-P3" is the metadata information that tells us how the studio monitor was calibrated when the movie was graded. It usually also tells us how large a gamut the movie is really using. Almost all movies today use DCI-P3. It's not a surprise because masters for movie theaters also use DCI-P3.
sneaker_ger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2017, 23:27   #43365  |  Link
steakhutzeee

Noob question, what is this KNLMeansCL? i read about it but i did not understand, i can't use it with madvr?
Old 17th April 2017, 23:49   #43366  |  Link
cork_OS

Quote:
Originally Posted by steakhutzeee View Post
Noob question, what is this KNLMeansCL? i read about it but i did not understand, i can't use it with madvr?
KNLMeansCL is GPU-based denoising filter for Avisynth/Vapoursynth. Until madVR has no it's own AVS/VS interface, you can use AVS filters via inserting ffdshow_raw filter in DirectShow filter chain.
Seems easiest way to play with AVS filters is to install SVP, check that it's working, then disable it and paste own Avisynth script in ffdshow_raw settings.
Old 18th April 2017, 00:06   #43367  |  Link
Allamar

Creators Update - Latest Nvidia Drivers

Hello all,

Thought I would post here. Since I went to the creators update for some reasons files encoded in Hi10p (10bit color) are taking a tremendous amount of GPU power in madVR. If I play a normal 8bit file using NGU AA high on both chroma/image upscaling it uses about 25% of my GPU (1080Ti), but a HI10P files will max it at 100% and drop frames. It wasn't like that before the update! I have no idea what's going on =) Just wondering if anybody else has tested this? I wonder if it has to do with the move to WDDM 1.3.

As a side note its only when I go into full screen on the HI10p files (not FSE). If I play the Hi10p and 8 bit in the same size of window GPU usage is 100% same - but when I maximize the HI10P GPU usage goes ballistic. It didn't do that before. I can make the HI10P window the size of my screen and my GPU usage stays low ,but the second I double click it to maximize it GPU usage is through the roof with dropped frames

Last edited by Allamar; 18th April 2017 at 00:17.
Allamar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2017, 01:02   #43368  |  Link
Asmodian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryleungwh View Post
Hm I didn't mess with power saving options so unless it is changed by default upon the update I doubt it has something to do with it, and temperature should be somewhat the same as before too
The power saving option does change by default when the driver updates, which I think happens when Windows updates itself. I have to set it back to adaptive every time a new driver comes out.
Old 18th April 2017, 01:06   #43369  |  Link
jerryleungwh

Quote:
The power saving option does change by default when the driver updates, which I think happens when Windows updates itself. I have to set it back to adaptive every time a new driver comes out.
Thanks, I just checked and it did changed upon update so I turned off all power saving options but then the problem is still there and is even worse, it does seem like the problem I have is similar to the post above your reply though, anyone else start to have issues after the creator update?
jerryleungwh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2017, 08:11   #43370  |  Link
Oguignant

About Enhance detail option...

Option "Enhance detail" is on two sides: Processing>Image enhancements>Enhance detail and Scaling algorithms>Upscaling refinement>Enhance detail.

What is the difference between the two options? Which one is better to use?
Old 18th April 2017, 08:38   #43371  |  Link
Oguignant

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
I don't think any 3dlut software supports that yet. I've added the option in case some software wants to add support for that.
My apologies if I'm wrong but I think CalMAN 5.x have the option to calibrate bt2020 (hdr and sdr) and also dolby vision (rs65 and rs120) colorspace.

Old 18th April 2017, 10:34   #43372  |  Link
Asmodian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oguignant View Post
Option "Enhance detail" is on two sides: Processing>Image enhancements>Enhance detail and Scaling algorithms>Upscaling refinement>Enhance detail.

What is the difference between the two options? Which one is better to use?
Image enhancements happen before scaling, upscaling refinement happens after.

Before is stronger but after looks better, in my opinion, though there isn't an objectively better one to use. You can use both at the same time too, if you want really a lot of sharpening.
Old 18th April 2017, 10:59   #43373  |  Link
Oguignant

Quote:
Image enhancements happen before scaling, upscaling refinement happens after.

Before is stronger but after looks better, in my opinion, though there isn't an objectively better one to use. You can use both at the same time too, if you want really a lot of sharpening.
Just as he imagined. To me in some cases looks better before and in others looks better after. I have not tried both at the same time. I'm trying out my new video card Gigabyte 1080 ti Aorus X ... it's amazing the performance I get ... much better than with my gtx 1080 g1.
Old 18th April 2017, 13:57   #43374  |  Link
tingtong5

I am using a HDMI extender between my HTPC and Projector that is capable of 2160p but max 30 Hz.

Therefore I would like to send 1080p 50/60 fps content in 1080p resolution to my prjector instead of upscaling to 2160p.

Resolution of windows is set to 3840x2160@30Hz

the display properties in madvr to:
2160p23, 2160p24, 2160p25, 2160p29, 2160p30, 1080p50, 1080p60

It works, Madvr sends 1080p @ 50/60 fps content in 1080p 50/60 Hz to my projector, HOWEVER I do see only a quarter of what should be displayed. Seems like the image is still upscaled to 2160p and only a quarter of it is displayed on the projector.

How can I avoid this?

Thanks Ronald
tingtong5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2017, 15:24   #43375  |  Link
huhn

this is maybe the windows 10 internal scaling.

the only way i know to disable it is to set " change the size of text, apps..." to 100%.
maybe fullscreen exclusive mode helps.

this is a guess changing the resolution on windows 10 got quite tricky...
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2017, 17:02   #43376  |  Link
XMonarchY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allamar View Post
Hello all,

Thought I would post here. Since I went to the creators update for some reasons files encoded in Hi10p (10bit color) are taking a tremendous amount of GPU power in madVR. If I play a normal 8bit file using NGU AA high on both chroma/image upscaling it uses about 25% of my GPU (1080Ti), but a HI10P files will max it at 100% and drop frames. It wasn't like that before the update! I have no idea what's going on =) Just wondering if anybody else has tested this? I wonder if it has to do with the move to WDDM 1.3.

As a side note its only when I go into full screen on the HI10p files (not FSE). If I play the Hi10p and 8 bit in the same size of window GPU usage is 100% same - but when I maximize the HI10P GPU usage goes ballistic. It didn't do that before. I can make the HI10P window the size of my screen and my GPU usage stays low ,but the second I double click it to maximize it GPU usage is through the roof with dropped frames
Yeah, Creator's Update messed something up or changed the way things worked before... I hope madVR developer is looking into it - I am more than willing to test or provide as much info as.possible to debug this problem.
Old 18th April 2017, 17:08   #43377  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Try disabling the Windows 10 Game bar. I'm not experiencing such slowdowns myself.
Old 18th April 2017, 17:36   #43378  |  Link
lunnar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight77 View Post
HDR question: I'm playing a HDR BT2020 video and my TV support HDR . In madvr settings I selected HDR passthrough, obviously when I started the video I manually changed TV mode from normal Cinema to HDR video.
When it's playing video info (crtl+J) show

"hdr 1000 nits bt2020 -> dci-p3"

Is it normal/correct? Why "->DCI-P3"?

Thanks!
I got a related question for you guys :

I also watch HDR clips thru MadVR using passthruHDR and it look very good on my JVC HDR projector.

that is for all clips that are "hdr 1000 nits bt2020 -> dci-p3"

but I got a couple of dolby Vision Clips that show :
"hdr 10000 nits bt2020" with no dci-p3 conversion info

now those clips end up with oversaturated color and a greenish tint to it.

What bugs me is that I will have expected the oposite to work since on my projector settings the color space in HDR is BT2020.

For now I will try to make a custom HDR settings on my projector and manually ajust the color to try and get something good, but I wonder what am I missing here?
lunnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2017, 17:44   #43379  |  Link
tingtong5

Thanks, but I am running windows 7, not 10. also I am already using exclusive mode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by huhn View Post
this is maybe the windows 10 internal scaling.

the only way i know to disable it is to set " change the size of text, apps..." to 100%.
maybe fullscreen exclusive mode helps.

this is a guess changing the resolution on windows 10 got quite tricky...
tingtong5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2017, 00:44   #43380  |  Link
dioxholster

Quote:
Originally Posted by e-t172 View Post
Regarding the upcoming HDR metadata support… will we need to watch out for the HDR format "war" when choosing a display for playing HDR content from a PC with madVR? From what I can tell there is HDR10, Dolby Vision and HLG. Which standards do the nVidia/Microsoft APIs support? Will we need to be careful when shopping for TVs? Does it even matter?
Im in the dark, whats so cool about HDR10? why didnt they have the wide gamut before? I thought HDR was something that looked fake, why would we want that?

Quote:
NGU Sharp now targets middle ground between gamma and linear light
Im curious about this one, stupid question, if some studios use linear light to downscale, is there no way for us to know somehow?

I think im also getting an error "madvr report: getting display mode failed" This could be because of the creators update. It happens when I raise the volume inside exclusive mode, the movie stutters and it becomes impossible to play anything again unless i restart the PC.

Last edited by dioxholster; 19th April 2017 at 02:07.
dioxholster is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling