Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 4th September 2017, 00:23   #45341  |  Link
Clammerz

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70MM View Post
* Let the 3D application decide
That one.
Clammerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2017, 04:04   #45342  |  Link
SamuriHL

So I'm apparently an idiot LOL. I had set a specific GPU in the LAV settings after selecting D3D11. So it was obviously in CB mode. I've since changed it to auto and am now getting no playback whatsoever. I really have no idea what is happening here and I don't know if this or the LAV thread is the right place to report it or even what info is needed. I'm trying to play either a ripped blu-ray MKV or directly off the blu-ray. Display is set to 23.97113Hz, composition rate is 23.970Hz, smooth motion is off (settings), D3D11 fullscreen windowed mode (10 bit), NV12, 8 bit, 4:2:0 (DXVA11), movie is 23.976 fps, movie 1920x1080, 16:9, draw 0,0,1920,1080, touch window from inside, chorma->NGU AA (med), vsync 41.72ms, frame 41.71ms, matrix BT.709 (says upstream), primaries BT.709 (says upstream), limited range (says upstream), deinterlacing off (dxva11), decoder queue 16, upload queue 8, render queue 8, present queue 1, dropped frames 0, repeated frames 0, delayed frames 0, presentation glitches 0, rendering 12.12ms, present 0.14ms

I restarted a blu-ray I was watching earlier that's at the end credits and it shows exactly 1 frame and is just frozen there. Clearly I've done something wrong here and I'm not entirely sure what. If more information is needed I'll be glad to provide whatever is necessary. This is a 1060 GPU running on Win 10 latest insider build (16281) with latest nVidia driver reinstalled after the windows build update. Using JRiver MC23. If I set it to the nVidia card it'll use D3D11 cb and play just fine.
Old 4th September 2017, 06:42   #45343  |  Link
Sebastiii

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevcairiel View Post
That disables D3D11 Native mode, and uses Copy-Back, which doesn't yield you the performance advantages of Native mode, and should be quite similar to DXVA2 Copy-Back mode.

I wonder if the message in LAV Video isn't clear enough on that, maybe it needs better wording? Its not a "fix" to select a device, it just avoids the issue by being inefficient
Yep the message on LAV Video is clear enough, but like we can't for now have deinterlace with D3D11 native right ?
Thanks.
Old 4th September 2017, 08:06   #45344  |  Link
aufkrawall

Yes, but this is up to madVR, not LAV Filters. No ETA given.
aufkrawall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2017, 08:07   #45345  |  Link
azzuro

hello, madshi

i come for an feedback about a crash on madHcCtrl.exe on last madvr release.

this issue appear on 2 computer, with different hardware but with last Win10 public version.

the crash appear when edit and apply the setting in the displaymode-refreshrate section.

using madvr 0.92.2
Attached Images

azzuro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2017, 08:26   #45346  |  Link
Grimsdyke

Quote:
Originally Posted by hannes69 View Post
The package includes test videos for all common video frame rates (23.976, 24.000, 25.000, 29.970, 30.000, 48.000, 50.000, 59.940, 60.000, 120.000)
Thank you !! Are these test files hard to create ?? I am asking because I would need one at 47.952 hz.
Grimsdyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2017, 10:18   #45347  |  Link
huhn

no they are not hard to create: http://avisynth.nl/index.php/BlankClip

but what is the point of a 47p file? even if you are using 47p you are very unlikely to encounter 47p files so just use a 23p file.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2017, 13:30   #45348  |  Link
tony359

Hi there,
I am experiencing a weird issue with the Test Patter Generator (TPG). I ran a calibration using DisplayCAL yesterday and all was good. It didn't look right so I tried running a verification but when I put the TPG to full screen there is no output - black screen with a mouse cursor. It worked fine in full screen the first time I calibrated.
I tried several times and indeed the TPG just refuses to show any content when in full screen. All seems ok when running in a window. MadVR works fine in Exclusive mode when using MPC-HC.
This is a freshly install system, Ryzen based, GTX 1050Ti with latest drivers.

Something I am not sure I am doing right: when selecting "fullscreen" the TPG window does not really go full screen so I usually force it by pressing ALT-ENTER. Am I doing that right, have I "broken" something by doing that?

I cannot run this in a window as this is a projector and the reflected light from the status bars etc would spoil the low level readings.

Thanks for your help.
Tony
tony359 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2017, 13:32   #45349  |  Link
jmonier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorohedoro View Post
I'm doing that, madvr is not recording the data :-( I'm not touching anything during playback and Im playing the file in exclusive fullscreen. And also I created the custom resolution (1080p23hz) In the madvr tool.

I have a nvidia 1060 card in win7.

I know Im doing something wrong, but I dont know what it is...
FWIW, I have the same problem (and in other versions of Windows as well and I'm also using a GTX1060). I have, on occasion, gotten further but I haven't been able to do it reliably and mostly my experience is the same as yours.

There are still bugs to be fixed in madVR and there are bugs as well in the Nvidia drivers so I'm just waiting before I try again.

Last edited by jmonier; 4th September 2017 at 13:37.
jmonier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2017, 14:45   #45350  |  Link
Dorohedoro

Thank god Im not alone, because no matter what I do madvr is not gathering the data.
Dorohedoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2017, 16:02   #45351  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by arrgh View Post
Ctrl+Alt+Shift+Break/Pause does unfortunately not work (not in Win10 nor in Win81)
Then please try running this exe and pointing it to the media player process:

http://madshi.net/madTraceProcess32.zip

Quote:
Originally Posted by arrgh View Post
for the judder Problem I have made two Screen shots. one for 2D (both on Win81)
The stats look ok, except for the frame drops. Do those frames drops all occur when the movie starts or when you switch from windowed to fullscreen mode? Or do they pile up during playback in fullscreen mode? What kind of judder is it? E.g. is it juddering all the time? Or once every couple of seconds or minutes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FDisk80 View Post
You misread my post. D3D DXVA is active, the problem is that when in native mode the video freezes each time for 3 seconds after refresh rate is switched.

It does not have this problem in D3D11 CB mode.
Ok, thanks, I think I know what this problem is. Please let me know if they next madVR build has still not fixed this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by huhn View Post
i just remembered a problem with AMD cards where windows things 4096x2160 is the native resolution of normal UHD TV screens.
madshi did you checked the EDID with your polaris card to see if AMD is doing some none sense to it or that the EDID doesn't match with windows recommended resolution?
I'm not sure if Windows interprets the EDID on its own or if Windows relies on the GPU driver to interpret the EDID. In any case, it doesn't matter to me, I interpret the EDID myself, so it's not a problem to me if either the OS or the GPU driver does it incorrectly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbordas View Post
That explains why reducing the back porch (which reduces the blanking interval) gives me almost perfect 23.976 refresh. But in order to do this, I have to lower the total pixels on my TV to 1123, and that results in weird lines either at the top or bottom of the screen, which must be a result of the missing pixels. There doesn't seem to be any way to both get close to the exact refresh rate and avoid this problem. Is there something about plasma TVs that might cause this?
The modes with higher "compatability" rating in the madVR custom modes optimization should have even total pixels, and still have nicely optimized refresh rates. Did you try those? Maybe they show fine on your TV without those weird lines?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JarrettH View Post
Ah, that explains things. While it's smoother now, it's not like the immersive experience of smooth motion. I don't think my monitor is doing 71.928 hz for real.
That's quite possible. My LCD computer monitor doesn't do it for real.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyber201 View Post
Thanks for your support.
Now I try to optimize the custom mode 23p.
Select 23p, edit and then apply the EDID info. Now I can press the Optimize Button.
Start a video with 23.976 fps and then I have this screen:
https://ibb.co/goRmgk

The i press Optimize and select the Optimize Pixel Clock #1
https://ibb.co/hiFe1k

I select this profile, reboot the PC but when i start the video with 23.976 fps, I have always 1 frame repeat every 4.40 min.
why?

This is my setting
https://ibb.co/jtxWE5

Where is my error?
I have a nVidia 1070GTX GPU
It seems that 1 frame repeat every 4.40 minutes is also what you had before starting the whole process, is that correct? In that case it seems that the custom timings are not activated by the GPU at all, for some reason. I'm not sure what the exact reason is, unfortunately. I'd suggest that you try either with fullscreen exclusive mode turned on or off, and with the "use D3D11 for presentation" option turned on or off, to see if any of that makes a difference. It's possible that the GPU driver doesn't use our custom modes in some situations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StinDaWg View Post
I am giving custom timings a try but it's not working with 59hz. I tried all the optimizations but it won't let me apply after testing. Says "gpu rejected this mode for unknown reasons".

23hz optimized timings works fine. Unfortunately I'm getting a frame drop every ~25 minutes on the default settings for 59hz.
It's a known Nvidia driver issue that it rejects some custom modes without even saying why. You can try manually changing the pixel clock by 0.01 to see if that makes the Nvidia driver accept a mode. In any case, maybe there's hope to have this fixed in a future driver version. However, my Nvidia contact hasn't replied in the last 2-3 weeks. So I'm not sure I'll hear from him again...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzader View Post
I cant play 3D MVC properly when windows in on 4k Resolution. The output seems be so stretched and only shows the magnified upper left part of the video. Any suggestions?
What does the Ctrl+J OSD say? Maybe the media player didn't tell madVR to zoom the image up properly? madVR obeys to the media player commands.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XMonarchY View Post
I am not sure which timings are best when it comes to optimization...

A. Current/measured timings Compat. is 100 with 1 frame repeat every 12.35 minutes
B. Same pixel clock #1 Compat. is 60, with 1 frame repeat every 3.90 hours
C. Optimized pixel clock #1 Compat. is 80 with no frame drops/repeats
The best is one is the one which 1) works and 2) produces the best drops/repeats stats. The compatability rating is just madVR's guess at which of the modes has the highest chance of working. But all the modes might be working, or none. Just try them out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by omarank View Post
I am using Windows 10 Enterprise, and Windows Update brings all kinds of updates except for the upgrade to Creator's Update (not sure why). Also, I haven’t bothered to do a fresh install for upgrading to the Creator's Update. I will probably do that now.
If you do decide to upgrade to Creator's Update, it would be interesting to hear if FSE mode is still more reliable for you than fullscreen mode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iSeries View Post
Recently switched to Windows 10 from 7 (clean install). Having a couple issues now.
And another user who ignored my advice. Your fault...

Quote:
Originally Posted by x7007 View Post
I don't think windows 8.1 is even recommended for anything.
Wrong. I've been recommending win8.1 for a long time now as the best HTPC OS atm. The only reasons to use win10 on an HTPC is if you need it for D3D12 games.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewde View Post
I'm trying to play a 2880x2880 file on a 4k LG OLED, but I'm getting a black screen instead when going fullscreen on the TV. Sound plays, no image though, but if I move the mouse over the lower part of the screen, the MPC-BE playback bar appears fine.
What does the madVR OSD (Ctrl+J) say?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mparade View Post
During play my CPU is on 100% utilization, however I am using DXVA2 for hardware decoding.
"native DXVA2" or "DXVA2 copyback"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hannes69 View Post
Hello to all fans of custom resolutions!
I have made a package of test videos for testing the accuracy of / optimizing your custom resolutions.
The package includes test videos for all common video frame rates (23.976, 24.000, 25.000, 29.970, 30.000, 48.000, 50.000, 59.940, 60.000, 120.000).
The format is MP4, resolution 640x360, simple black video, with silent audio track.
The length is 4 hours for each test video.

I made this package because it offers some advantages for testing purposes:
- all common frame rates in one package
- 4 hours long, should be sufficient for necessary accuracy
- tested timestamps and frame rate accuracy (common video material can have all sort of timestamp quirks, there are videos out there with "wrong" 23.9760000 fps etc.)
- comparable bitrate etc because of black video, so constant GPU load
- the whole package has 7 MB file size because of black video, silent audio and RAR compression

Some hints for testing / optimizing custom resolutions:
- test at least the time for a normal movie, so something like 2 hours
- leave the computer alone while measuring (no mouse and keyboard actions)
- the involved computer clocks are influenced by temperature to a certain degree, so for accurate results you should aim for constant and "real-life" temperatures (warm up your computer and generate a GPU load similar when watching normal videos by using different madvr settings).

Happy testing and optimizing !
Nice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorohedoro View Post
Please I need help, no matter what I do I never get the optimized resolutions, every time I push the button there is only the window with the instructions, even after waiting 30 minutes... what exacly I have to do? because I think I'm missing something.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmonier View Post
FWIW, I have the same
Did you create the custom modes with the madVR "custom mode" functionality? Or did you create them with the Nvidia custom mode tool (or some other tool)? There's a bug in the current madVR build which doesn't record measurements if you didn't create the custom modes with madVR.

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitech View Post
which is the best OS for a HTPC and obviously to be used with MAdVR, windows 8.1 or windows 10 and why?
win8.1 because it can do everything win10 can (except 10bit output in windowed fullscreen), and is more stable at the same time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anima123 View Post
I have encountered some kind of freeze with madVR FSE mode, it happened before keep skipping video (immature buffer I guess), and it can always be repeated if skipping enough times.

The configure of madVR are with NGU Soft, the freezes seems less prone to happen when there's no need to do scaling, e.g., playing back 1080p content with 1080p resolution.

Anyone suffer the same?

Edit: When the freeze happened, I'll have to use Ctrl-Alt-Del to switch to administrator account to kill the player using Task Manager.
Do you use native D3D11 decoding in LAV? If so, this is a known bug which should be fixed in the next build. Otherwise it's not a known bug.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamuriHL View Post
am now getting no playback whatsoever. I really have no idea what is happening here

Quote:
Originally Posted by azzuro View Post
i come for an feedback about a crash on madHcCtrl.exe on last madvr release.

this issue appear on 2 computer, with different hardware but with last Win10 public version.

the crash appear when edit and apply the setting in the displaymode-refreshrate section.

using madvr 0.92.2
Attaching things to this forum doesn't work, they never get approved. For a madHcCtrl.exe crash I need the full crash report. Please upload it somewhere else and link to it here, thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony359 View Post
I am experiencing a weird issue with the Test Patter Generator (TPG). I ran a calibration using DisplayCAL yesterday and all was good. It didn't look right so I tried running a verification but when I put the TPG to full screen there is no output - black screen with a mouse cursor. It worked fine in full screen the first time I calibrated.
I tried several times and indeed the TPG just refuses to show any content when in full screen. All seems ok when running in a window. MadVR works fine in Exclusive mode when using MPC-HC.
This is a freshly install system, Ryzen based, GTX 1050Ti with latest drivers.

Something I am not sure I am doing right: when selecting "fullscreen" the TPG window does not really go full screen so I usually force it by pressing ALT-ENTER. Am I doing that right, have I "broken" something by doing that?

I cannot run this in a window as this is a projector and the reflected light from the status bars etc would spoil the low level readings.
Pressing the "fullscreen" button doesn't show immediate effect, but it will switch madTPG into fullscreen mode automatically when measurements are starting. Anyway, using ALT-ENTER is fine, of course.

Does the mouse cursor show in fullscreen mode? Is it possible your display doesn't even sync to the GPU, for some reason?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernix View Post
Sorry to disturbing again. Just noticed.
MPC-HC
PIN INFO
PIN:OUT VIDEO
VIDEOINFOHEADER:
rcSource: (0,0)-(1920,1080)
rcTarget: (0,0)-(1920,1080)
dwBitRate: 0
dwBitErrorRate: 0
AvgTimePerFrame: 400000

MPC-BE
PIN INFO
PIN:OUT VIDEO
VIDEOINFOHEADER:
rcSource: (0,148)-(1920,932)
rcTarget: (0,148)-(1920,932)
dwBitRate: 0
dwBitErrorRate: 0
AvgTimePerFrame: 400000 (25.000 fps)

So EVR custom preset in MPC-HC crop is ignored, but in MPC-BE is propertly displayed. But MadVR in MPC-BE has same issue as in Potplayer. See http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.ph...56#post1816256
Bernix
Ok, I can reproduce it, will see what I can do.
madshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2017, 16:07   #45352  |  Link
Anima123

madVR wrote: Do you use native D3D11 decoding in LAV?

No, the native D3D11 decoding is not activated during the tests. I more prefer software decoding.
Anima123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2017, 16:11   #45353  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Then please try Ctrl+Alt+Shift+Pause/Break to create a freeze report. If that doesn't work, try running http://madshi.net/madTraceProcess32.zip and point it to your media player in the moment when it's frozen.
Old 4th September 2017, 16:16   #45354  |  Link
Anima123

Does the freeze report shortcut work under 64-bit version? Or I need to do it with 32-bit version only?
Old 4th September 2017, 16:18   #45355  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Oh, it requires you to use a 32bit media player, but the OS doesn't matter.
Old 4th September 2017, 16:28   #45356  |  Link
Anima123

The real challenge is that I cannot get back to the desktop since the freeze is with FSE mode. The shortcut doesn't seem to work.
Old 4th September 2017, 16:31   #45357  |  Link
aufkrawall

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
win8.1 because it can do everything win10 can (except 10bit output in windowed fullscreen), and is more stable at the same time.
I don't think there is VP9 DXVA decoding on Windows 8.
aufkrawall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2017, 16:35   #45358  |  Link
Anima123

Please download the freeze report from Freeze Report
Old 4th September 2017, 16:42   #45359  |  Link
Dorohedoro

Madshi, thanks for your reply.

I've deleted every custom resolution in the nvidia panel and also created the custom 1080p23hz in the madvr options.

Btw, Ive created a bunch of custom resolutions with the Custom Resolution Utility (CRU) a long time ago, maybe that app is the cause of my problems? (btw, none of the custom resolutions are active in the CRU right now).
Dorohedoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2017, 16:51   #45360  |  Link
SamuriHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
It was in that post just not formatted very well....cause you know, why would I make it easier for people to help me. LOL Sorry about that.

Display is set to 23.97113Hz
composition rate is 23.970Hz
smooth motion is off (settings)
D3D11 fullscreen windowed mode (10 bit)
NV12, 8 bit, 4:2:0 (DXVA11)
movie is 23.976 fps
movie 1920x1080, 16:9
draw 0,0,1920,1080
touch window from inside
chroma->NGU AA (med)
vsync 41.72ms
frame 41.71ms
matrix BT.709 (says upstream)
primaries BT.709 (says upstream)
limited range (says upstream)
deinterlacing off (dxva11)
decoder queue 16
upload queue 8
render queue 8
present queue 1
dropped frames 0
repeated frames 0
delayed frames 0
presentation glitches 0
rendering 12.12ms
present 0.14ms

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling