Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > One click suites for DVD backup and DVD creation

Old 11th April 2013, 22:56   #2241  |  Link
Sparktank
47.952fps@71.928Hz

SoX can do the speedup/slowdown w/o altering the pitch.
I remember reading a few threads on it in the audio section.
AMD Ryzen 5 2600 @3.4GHz (6c/12th, I'm on AVX2 now!)
Sparktank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2013, 23:05   #2242  |  Link
Sparktank
47.952fps@71.928Hz

Quote:
Originally Posted by manolito View Post
You also might want to consider to replace the ResampleAudio filter with the SSRC filter.
I agree, SSRC (high precision) can produce very clean results without much sonic residue.

SRC Comparisons [96kHz to 44.1kHz] Last Updated: 12th March 2013

You can check between two different filters and see how they turn out.
Also view results for different tests: sweep, 1kHz tone, passband, transition, etc.

It lists freeware and commercial software too.

SoX seems to handle sample rate conversions quite nicely too, as it would seem.

IIRC, eac3to uses SSRC for its sample rate conversions, by default, --and if installed, it can use Voxengo r8brain (free version).
AMD Ryzen 5 2600 @3.4GHz (6c/12th, I'm on AVX2 now!)

Last edited by Sparktank; 11th April 2013 at 23:09.
Sparktank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2013, 23:42   #2243  |  Link
manolito

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparktank View Post
SoX can do the speedup/slowdown w/o altering the pitch.
I remember reading a few threads on it in the audio section.
Well, MrC explicitly asked for an AviSynth filter to do the pitch correction. If an external software for pitch correction can be used, there are quite a few free options. One of them is SoundStretch
http://www.surina.net/soundtouch/soundstretch.html

As I said earlier, pitch correction is a complicated task, and for music content it is prone to audible artifacts. I uploaded a small sample file which contains a very demanding audio track for pitch correction:
http://www.sendspace.com/file/oetp1k

The audio is 44.1 kHz, so for a compliant DVD the sample rate must be converted to 48 kHz, then the audio has to be sped up from 23,976 fps to 25 fps, and on top of this the pitch has to be corrected to the original pitch.

I tried a couple of pitch changing software, but I could not get a satisfactory result, I finally gave up on pitch correction for this clip...

Cheers
manolito
manolito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2013, 15:28   #2244  |  Link
MrC
AVStoDVD Dev

Quote:
Oh yes, the timestretch filter is able to do this.
Yes, you are right, an internal filter, my laziness... Thanks!

Quote:
You also might want to consider to replace the ResampleAudio filter with the SSRC filter.
That's not so straightforward: SSRC does not accept all samplerates as input, while ResampleAudio is more permissive.
For example, if the source file has 22050 Hz, after AssumeFPS("pal_film", sync_audio=true), the script will yield 22992 Hz, that is rejected by SSRC.

I know that I could add some more IF..THEN..ELSE statements to understand if SSRC can be used, but my ToDo list is so long...

It could be interesting to explore if a double SSRC (the first before AssumeFPS, the second after) is better or worse than a single ResampleAudio (after).

Bye

AVStoDVD Homepage
AVStoDVD @ Doom9 Forum
MrC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2013, 21:09   #2245  |  Link
MrC
AVStoDVD Dev

AVStoDVD 2.7.0 Alpha 130412 is available to download.

Main change is the full replacement of QuEnc with FFmpeg (input AviSynth script).

Change log:

- Some bugs fixed
- Added possibility to customize authored Subtitles position ('Preferences'/'Authoring')
- Added 'AVS Audio Source Filter' in 'Preferences'/'AviSynth'
- Renamed 'AVS Source Filter' to 'AVS Video Source Filter' in 'Preferences'/'AviSynth'
- Replaced 'QuEnc CBR 1-pass' Video Encoding Profile with 'FFmpeg CBR 1-pass'
- Replaced QuEnc with FFmpeg for AC3 and MP2 encoding (QuEnc has been actually removed from AVStoDVD package)
- Added 'Use FFmpeg HQ Options' in 'Title Edit'/'Video'
- Added possibility to resize Jobs List window
- Improved titles media properties info management
- Improved SRT subtitles parsing routine
- Improved ASS to SRT conversion routine
- Improved log activity (reference to Help/FAQs section)
- Removed 'Save Log file in Output Folder at runtime' option in 'Preferences'/'Misc' (now it always saved)

Bye

AVStoDVD Homepage
AVStoDVD @ Doom9 Forum

Last edited by MrC; 16th April 2013 at 14:34. Reason: Removed 2.7.0 Alpha 130412 dead link
Old 16th April 2013, 13:47   #2246  |  Link
manolito

Have you revoked 2.70 Alpha? SourceForge has two folders 130412 and 130416, but they are empty.

Also may I ask why you decided to get rid of QuEnc altogether? Do you believe that ffmpeg delivers higher quality encodes at high bitrates than QuEnc, or do you have other reasons?

Cheers
manolito
Old 16th April 2013, 14:31   #2247  |  Link
MrC
AVStoDVD Dev

Yes, exactly, Alpha 130412 had a critical bug during start operations, fixed with Alpha 130416. I'm uploading it right now, that's why the folder is still empty.

About QuEnc drop, I was thinking about that from a while (see VideoHelp thread). There are some small but annoying bugs like:

- wrong multi channels audio mapping
- framerate distorsion from 24fps to 23.976fps when using DSS
- poor multi cores cpu support: HCenc VBR 2-pass is faster than QuEnc CBR 1-pass on a quad core.
- Pentium4 HT crashes (very vintage, I know)

I know that QuEnc is a wonderful piece of software, a milestone for mpeg2 CBR encoding, but it is no more updated since years, while FFmpeg is still under development and its current mpeg2 CBR encoding is, IMO, very close to QuEnc in quality.

BTW I would like to have your opinions on this topic. Release 2.7.0 is still in Alpha stage...

Bye

AVStoDVD Homepage
AVStoDVD @ Doom9 Forum

Last edited by MrC; 16th April 2013 at 14:34.
Old 16th April 2013, 18:04   #2248  |  Link
manolito

Quote:
while FFmpeg is still under development and its current mpeg2 CBR encoding is, IMO, very close to QuEnc in quality.
As long as you succeed in finding a build which is not broken in some way...

But seriously, you are probably right about the QuEnc flaws. What has always bugged me about ffmpeg is that it cannot use custom quant matrices. AFAIK it still uses a linear quant scale (as opposed to HC and CCE which use exponential scales), and so it is more sensitive to a suitable matrix. But at the high bitrates it is used by AVStoDVD it probably will not matter...

I just did some test conversions with the latest Alpha, and everything worked.

The German language file should be modified like this (original entry is too long):
Code:
320025	FFmpeg HQ-Modus:
And in the subtitle positioning window the note at the bottom deserves its own entry in the language file. The German translation could be:

Code:
Positions-Werte gelten für Standard (4:3) und Breitbild (16:9) Seitenverhältnis
Length should be about right...

Plus a reminder for an earlier feature request (probably at the bottom of your ToDo list):
Can you add a value selection for normalizing audio? Of course I can ediit the AviSynth script, but it would be much nicer if the value could be set in the global options.

And at last one (probably stupid) question:
PAL Speedup only works for 23.976 fps sources. Why doesn't it also work for 24 fps sources?

Thanks very much for the new version

Cheers
manolito
Old 16th April 2013, 18:12   #2249  |  Link
yab_tater

OpenType Font Support and Choosing Outline Color

Regarding the Menu Editor, on my current project I find myself wishing for OpenType font support and the ability to pick the text outline color. Right now, to get the look of the menu title the way I want it (using an OpenType font with a white outline), I am having to do all this in Gimp and lay in the text as part of the title background image. Its not a huge deal, but it is a shame to have to have to use an outside image editor to do something so basic. Any chance of adding OpenType font support and the ability to pick the text outline color in a future release? I am sorry to ask, I know people are always asking for something.
yab_tater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2013, 21:17   #2250  |  Link
MrC
AVStoDVD Dev

@manolito

I'm doing some comparative encoding tests with high bitrates (8500 kbps) and QuEnc (CBR), FFmpeg (CBR) and HCenc (VBR) using default settings and std matrix, starting from a blu ray source. I will post the results ASAP, because they are suprising me a lot.

Thanks for the german translations! Your support is always appreciated.

The custom normalization is low priority, but easy to implement, I think that the next alpha will include that.

Why only 23.976 fps? Well, because I always considered the NTSC->PAL SpeedUp option as an "extra flavour", since I prefer to use pulldown. BTW many people are using that, I can probably expand the scope to 24 fps and/or adding PAL->NTSC SpeedDown (25 to 23.976 then 3:2 pulldown to 29.97).

@yab_tater

first of all welcome there and do not mind to ask: new features requests are the lifeblood for AVStoDVD.

About OpenType: the support should already be there, since VB6 supports them. For example I can see and select 'Bookman Old Style', which is OTF, according to Windows Fonts Panel.

About outline color: it is possible since it is supported by ASS spec. I will put in the ToDo list. Be aware thant it will be not visible in the Edit Mode but in the Preview Mode yes.

Bye

AVStoDVD Homepage
AVStoDVD @ Doom9 Forum
Old 16th April 2013, 22:50   #2251  |  Link
yab_tater

Thanks for the reply. The font I am trying to use is amira-semibold.otf -- I think it is the .otf file type that is throwing off the Menu Editor. About Bookman Old Style, at least on my installation of Windows, this family of fonts is all .ttf file type.

Regarding putting outline color on the ToDo list -- coool!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrC View Post
@manolito

About OpenType: the support should already be there, since VB6 supports them. For example I can see and select 'Bookman Old Style', which is OTF, according to Windows Fonts Panel.

About outline color: it is possible since it is supported by ASS spec. I will put in the ToDo list. Be aware thant it will be not visible in the Edit Mode but in the Preview Mode yes.

Bye
Old 16th April 2013, 23:18   #2252  |  Link
MrC
AVStoDVD Dev

@yab_tater

it seems that there are MS OpenType (still with extension ttf) and Adobe OpenType (extension otf). 'Bookman Old Style' has ttf extension but it is named 'OpenType' by Win7. Have you tried to rename 'amira-semibold.otf' to 'amira-semibold.ttf'? Just curious.

Bye

AVStoDVD Homepage
AVStoDVD @ Doom9 Forum
Old 16th April 2013, 23:45   #2253  |  Link
manolito

Quote:
Why only 23.976 fps? Well, because I always considered the NTSC->PAL SpeedUp option as an "extra flavour", since I prefer to use pulldown. BTW many people are using that, I can probably expand the scope to 24 fps and/or adding PAL->NTSC SpeedDown (25 to 23.976 then 3:2 pulldown to 29.97).

To the best of my knowledge the pros always use PAL speedup for NTSC to PAL conversions. I have never encountered a commercial DVD which used pulldown for the conversion.

IMO PAL->NTSC SpeedDown (25 to 23.976 then 3:2 pulldown to 29.97) is not that important. It does not matter too much if the pulldown is from 25 to 29.97, or if it is from 23.976 to 29.97. The visible judder will be pretty much the same. And for an interlaced PAL source the method will not work anyways.

I am really curious for your test results using different encoders at 8500 kbps. So far I always thought that at such a high bitrate all available encoders would give out results of practically identical visual quality.

Cheers
manolito
Old 17th April 2013, 17:31   #2254  |  Link
yab_tater

I just tried changing the file type to .ttf and the Menu Editor still did not pick it up in its font menu. The file size of the font is only 23K, would you me to send it to you?

Quote:
@yab_tater

it seems that there are MS OpenType (still with extension ttf) and Adobe OpenType (extension otf). 'Bookman Old Style' has ttf extension but it is named 'OpenType' by Win7. Have you tried to rename 'amira-semibold.otf' to 'amira-semibold.ttf'? Just curious.
Old 18th April 2013, 12:51   #2255  |  Link
MrC
AVStoDVD Dev

Quote:
I am really curious for your test results using different encoders at 8500 kbps. So far I always thought that at such a high bitrate all available encoders would give out results of practically identical visual quality.
The goal of the test is to understand if FFmpeg (CBR) is equal or better than QuEnc (CBR), having HCenc (VBR) as reference.

The first trial was done starting from a AVC 1100kpbs low-res (640x360) clip, using default AVStoDVD settings with QuEnc, FFmpeg and HCenc. Differences are minimal for static scenes. For hi-motion scenes it seems that QuEnc is adding more artifacts (blockiness) than FFmpeg, the latter not so far from HCenc. See frames intervals: 2175->2192 and 4254->4304.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/bi73ng

The zip file contains 3 mpg's, the DGIndex project files and an AviSynth script to interleave the 3 streams.
Play the avs file with VirtualDub to have an easy forth and back.

The second trial I have done was starting from a AVC 8000kpbs full-hd clip. In that scenario, differences are really minimal, for both static and motion scenes, between all the 3 encoders.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/podap4

Quote:
Originally Posted by yab_tater View Post
I just tried changing the file type to .ttf and the Menu Editor still did not pick it up in its font menu. The file size of the font is only 23K, would you me to send it to you?
Yes, please, send me the otf file (avstodvd@gmail.com).

Bye

AVStoDVD Homepage
AVStoDVD @ Doom9 Forum
Old 19th April 2013, 14:04   #2256  |  Link
manolito

Thanks for the tests, I was surprised how good the ffmpeg encodes look...

Quote:
using default AVStoDVD settings with QuEnc, FFmpeg and HCenc
Does that mean that QuEnc was running in HQ mode while ffmpeg was not? This would be even more surprising...

Cheers
manolito
Old 19th April 2013, 17:00   #2257  |  Link
MrC
AVStoDVD Dev

Yes, I am quite surprised too. To be honest, there are some scenes where FFmpeg gives a more blurred image than QuEnc, which probably has some sharpening internal filter.

QuEnc 0.75alpha CL parameters (HQ):
-b 8500 -1 -hq -novbr -scene -trell -aspectratio 16:9 -nointerlaced -mpeg2mux noaudio -dc 10

FFmpeg N-46936 (Nov 2012) CL parameters (no HQ):
-threads 2 -aspect 16:9 -c:v mpeg2video -b:v 8500k -minrate 8500k -maxrate 8500k -bufsize 2000k -dc 10

Bye

AVStoDVD Homepage
AVStoDVD @ Doom9 Forum

Last edited by MrC; 19th April 2013 at 17:03. Reason: more info
Old 19th April 2013, 18:58   #2258  |  Link
yab_tater

File sent -- thanks!

Quote:
Yes, please, send me the otf file (avstodvd@gmail.com).

Bye
Old 22nd April 2013, 14:57   #2259  |  Link
MrC
AVStoDVD Dev

@yab_tater

try this 2.7.0 Alpha hotfix. Just overwrite the original AVStoDVD.exe file. Let me know.

Bye

AVStoDVD Homepage
AVStoDVD @ Doom9 Forum
Old 23rd April 2013, 06:50   #2260  |  Link
dipendotsFTW

2 questions:
1.) i've been using the lav filters from k lite codec pack and enabled CUDA use in them, and it has worked very well with h264 and avc video. very speedy and great looking results. however, i couldn't get any form of mpeg2 video to default use the lav filters for this purpose. it defaults to ffdshow for video, but lav for splitter and audio. anyway i can fix that?
2.) are there any plans to implement dgdecodenv into avstodvd? i would love to get cuda support for indexed video.

thanks
dipendotsFTW is offline   Reply With Quote