Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 24th October 2019, 15:00   #57681  |  Link
mclingo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furgiuele View Post
Please, can someone help me?
have you created a custom display mode in MADVR for 29.970?

disply modes/custom modes/add
Old 24th October 2019, 16:56   #57682  |  Link
Klaus1189

@Furgiuele:
See post #547 in AMD, Intel and Nvidia driver issues and last recommended version
Don't use 25Hz, 29Hz and 30Hz modes, madvr picks these three first, so delete them, if you want to play properly interlaced content which has double "motion resolution" by creating fields (top field and bottom field) and not frames and store two fields in one frame.
But use 2160p for your setup, if you have "4K" Equipment

Last edited by Klaus1189; 24th October 2019 at 17:08.
Klaus1189 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2019, 17:02   #57683  |  Link
huhn

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3ll3d00d View Post
I have noticed inconsistent behaviour when upscaling DVD to 4k, it behaves something like it isn't upscaling for some period of time and then it corrects itself and starts upscaling again. This can happen at arbitrary times, e.g. within a single scene without having touched any playback controls or changed any settings.

An example to illustrate, I created these by just replaying a scene on a loop. It rendered it "correctly" v few times, it is mostly looking bad. Look at the guy on the wire for the obvious difference. The fact this is two different frames is irrelevant btw as the effect occurs regularly on different content, i.e. it's not specific to one scene or one particular source file.

Anyone seen something like this before? Any tips on how to resolve?

Bad - https://ibb.co/7YLkcg9
Good - https://ibb.co/P6VwpKD
you are deinterlacing 25i to 50p which is the correct thing to do for a deinterlacer but you are displaying it at 25 which creates all kind of problems.

the next issue you are dropping frames and quite a lot of them because of some render spikes it seems hard to judge screens are from the paused state.

hardware deinteralcing needs to get a constant stream of frames not feeding it one frame my already break it so try a different player/decoder and it needs multiply frames to kick in so you can skip into the file and look at the frame it needs like 3 or frames to even start working.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2019, 18:16   #57684  |  Link
Siso
Soul Seeker

Can't remember which one is better for creating a custom resolution - nvidia control panel or cru 1.4.1.
Siso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2019, 18:17   #57685  |  Link
3ll3d00d

Quote:
Originally Posted by huhn View Post
you are deinterlacing 25i to 50p which is the correct thing to do for a deinterlacer but you are displaying it at 25 which creates all kind of problems.
what sort of problems?

I don't watch many DVDs admittedly but I haven't noticed any issues (apart from the deinterlacing one). I'm bandwidth constrained (due to HDBaseT) til I can run a new hdmi cable anyway.

Quote:
the next issue you are dropping frames and quite a lot of them because of some render spikes it seems hard to judge screens are from the paused state.
there always seem to be a few dropped frames when playback starts, the stats shown are from pausing and jumping back and forth so aren't indicative of normal behaviour. i.e. it isn't regularly dropping frames in normal playback.

Quote:
hardware deinteralcing needs to get a constant stream of frames not feeding it one frame my already break it so try a different player/decoder and it needs multiply frames to kick in so you can skip into the file and look at the frame it needs like 3 or frames to even start working.
It would stick in that state for a prolonged period of time as opposed to flickering in and out. As far as I can see, switching the config in LAV so madvr is presented with an already deinterlaced stream seems to produce a better result. I'm not sure exactly what is changing in this case though as I'm comparing my LAV config to the jriver packaged version (which they don't expose config for)
3ll3d00d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2019, 18:25   #57686  |  Link
Klaus1189

@3ll3d00d
Take a look at my previous post, same issue here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klaus1189 View Post
See post #547 in AMD, Intel and Nvidia driver issues and last recommended version
Don't use 25Hz, 29Hz and 30Hz modes, madvr picks these three first, so delete them, if you want to play properly interlaced content which has double "motion resolution" by creating fields (top field and bottom field) and not frames and store two fields in one frame.
But use 2160p for your setup, if you have "4K" Equipment
Old 24th October 2019, 19:57   #57687  |  Link
Furgiuele

Sorry!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashlar42 View Post
You need to be patient. Nobody is payed here to provide assistance. Everybody does it in his/her free time. Be patient and somebody capable enough will try to help you, I'm sure.
Sorry! And thanks to all of you.
Furgiuele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2019, 20:15   #57688  |  Link
Furgiuele

[QUOTE=el Filou;1888560]Based on your description, what could be happening is those 29,970 fps concerts are telecined, and as you are forcing video mode they are deinterlaced with very bad quality to 59,94 fps and you have 3:2 motion judder, but it's hard to be sure without knowing what the source is: Blu-ray? DVD? TV?
Try to enable film mode for those concerts (you can assign a keyboard shortcut key to it) and see if it is better.

Thanks!!! It solves my issue. I disabled "automatically activate deinterlacing..." and I flagged "disable automatic source... force film mode... only look at pixels...". Now no dropped frames, no stutter, no judder"! Can I leave this settings for all my videos? I have all blu ray discs ripped (fhd and uhd)...
Old 24th October 2019, 20:22   #57689  |  Link
Furgiuele

Sorry, I have another question. I have a Sony vpl-vw870es prjector (laser lamp with 2200 lumen). MadVR v0.92.17. In devices, my device, hdr, I flagged "tone map HDR using pixel shaders", "measures each frame's peak..." and "output video in HDR format". How many nits I've to wright in "target peak nits"? Thanks.
Old 24th October 2019, 20:31   #57690  |  Link
Asmodian

Quote:
Can I leave this settings for all my videos? I have all blu ray discs ripped (fhd and uhd)...
Anything that is actually interlaced will look bad but you might not have any real interlaced content.

Also, once you disabled automatically activating deinterlacing the other options don't do anything.
Old 25th October 2019, 02:43   #57691  |  Link
huhn

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3ll3d00d View Post
what sort of problems?
well you need rendertiems below 20 ms but oyu are not using these iamges true interlanced content can't be displayed correctly
Quote:
I don't watch many DVDs admittedly but I haven't noticed any issues (apart from the deinterlacing one). I'm bandwidth constrained (due to HDBaseT) til I can run a new hdmi cable anyway.
cables have nothing todo with this every cable that has the bandwidth of hdmi 1.3 can do 50 hz at 4:2:0 but i have no clue what HDBaseT is.

Quote:
there always seem to be a few dropped frames when playback starts, the stats shown are from pausing and jumping back and forth so aren't indicative of normal behaviour. i.e. it isn't regularly dropping frames in normal playback.
your OSD already shows 19 ms from the max of 20 and spikes with 50+
Quote:
It would stick in that state for a prolonged period of time as opposed to flickering in and out. As far as I can see, switching the config in LAV so madvr is presented with an already deinterlaced stream seems to produce a better result. I'm not sure exactly what is changing in this case though as I'm comparing my LAV config to the jriver packaged version (which they don't expose config for)
maybe madVr is able to drop frames before they are rendered which could stop deinterlacing.

Quote:
Sorry, I have another question. I have a Sony vpl-vw870es prjector (laser lamp with 2200 lumen). MadVR v0.92.17. In devices, my device, hdr, I flagged "tone map HDR using pixel shaders", "measures each frame's peak..." and "output video in HDR format". How many nits I've to wright in "target peak nits"? Thanks.
is not recommended to output HDR as HDR on projector thanks to the very basic HDR tone mapping.
i can't give you a nit number to many changes on a topic i don't care yet.

on an old madVR build 2x output nits where ok no clue about projector that would be in the 100-300 range.
Old 25th October 2019, 08:56   #57692  |  Link
Furgiuele

Quote:
is not recommended to output HDR as HDR on projector thanks to the very basic HDR tone mapping.
i can't give you a nit number to many changes on a topic i don't care yet.

on an old madVR build 2x output nits where ok no clue about projector that would be in the 100-300 range.
Many thanks.
Anyway I can't flag "use direct 3D 11 for presentation", else I've random skip in motion (altough without dropped frames).
Do you think I've to change my gpu (GTX1660) with RTX 2060 or AMD RX 590 to have a better rendering?
Old 26th October 2019, 16:17   #57693  |  Link
Fandangos

Can you guys tell me if users with Ryzen integrated gpus have any kind of problem outputing the correct color space to the display using MadVR renderer?

HDR metadata is correctly triggered but color space remains in bt.709?
Or is this a non existent problem?
Fandangos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2019, 17:37   #57694  |  Link
Klaus1189

What driver version do you use? What display/projector do you use? What player do you use? MPC-BE, MPC-HC, ...
Old 26th October 2019, 20:50   #57695  |  Link
huhn

Quote:
Many thanks.
Anyway I can't flag "use direct 3D 11 for presentation", else I've random skip in motion (altough without dropped frames).
Do you think I've to change my gpu (GTX1660) with RTX 2060 or AMD RX 590 to have a better rendering?
can't be judged with these informations.
there are a lot of possible setting combination and a 1660 can clearly do d3d11.

the equivalent to a 2060 is the rx 5700 not the rx 590 i can't recommend them.
Old 27th October 2019, 10:01   #57696  |  Link
Warner306

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fandangos View Post
Can you guys tell me if users with Ryzen integrated gpus have any kind of problem outputing the correct color space to the display using MadVR renderer?

HDR metadata is correctly triggered but color space remains in bt.709?
Or is this a non existent problem?
There have been at least two Ryzen users who were failing to get anything other than BT.709 from HDR passthrough. The Ryzen drivers may have an issue identifying the color coordinates sent by madVR and change the color space.
Warner306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2019, 10:36   #57697  |  Link
DMU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warner306 View Post
There have been at least two Ryzen users who were failing to get anything other than BT.709 from HDR passthrough. The Ryzen drivers may have an issue identifying the color coordinates sent by madVR and change the color space.
There may be an issue with the entire AMD Vega GPU architecture, which are used in the iGPU embedded in the Ryzen processors. This can be verified by users of Vega 56/64 and Radeon VII.
DMU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2019, 13:11   #57698  |  Link
Furgiuele

Quote:
can't be judged with these informations.
there are a lot of possible setting combination and a 1660 can clearly do d3d11.

the equivalent to a 2060 is the rx 5700 not the rx 590 i can't recommend them.
I can't use D3D11! Don't know why. On Nvidia setup I use 3840 x 2160 60hz res, Nvidia color curve Ycbcr444, 8bit depth and I can't flag anything else.
I have a Sony vpl-vw870es projector (actually the best of Sony). Now I order from Amazon a Gigabyte RTX 2060 mini ITX OC6G and next week I'll see if I can use D3D11 without skip in motion. But I don't know if I can keep it because my psu is 350 watt 80 plus gold.
I hope you can give me a good suggestion...
Thanks
Old 27th October 2019, 14:31   #57699  |  Link
Owyn

yesterday madvr was working fine but today mpc-hc videoplayer just closes itself after long "opening file" when I try to play anythig with madvr selected as renderer
I didn't update anything (perhaps windows did? (thought after checking update log it shows nothing for at least two weeks))

here's the debug log after activating the debug mode: https://pastebin.com/82X68xn4

edit: after todays cumulative update for .Net it started working again yay

Last edited by Owyn; 28th October 2019 at 10:40.
Owyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2019, 17:12   #57700  |  Link
wolfman2791

Just wanted to chime in here... a lot of the issues have to do with Windows updates. I finally had to refresh my windows 10 install and it fixed everything with madvr (i run jriver). If you're like me and you tweak your windows, it creates problems.

But before you do that, uninstall the latest windows updates one by one and see where the break occurs. That's how i noticed it was a windows issue.
wolfman2791 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling