Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > VirtualDub, VDubMod & AviDemux

Old 4th April 2021, 00:46   #1  |  Link
602x1023

Editing in VirtualDub

In VirtualDub, I can select and delete a section of video. I can select, cut and append a section of video to the end of the same video. But what I am trying to do is to cut a short section out of a video and insert that clip into a separate video, call it Video #2.

Such a task would be a routine matter if done in my Premier Elements editing program, but I would like to effect this task in VirtualDub so that my VHS-to-VirtualDub-captured AVI will be the complete starting video file to then be loaded into my editing program for further editing. (Thus perhaps avoiding and additional re-encoding and/or having to retain both capture files.)

In VirtualDub, can one cut a section of video from video file #1 and insert it into video file #2? Might the VirtualDub “Export” / “Import” function come into play here?

Thank you.
602x1023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2021, 02:30   #2  |  Link
poisondeathray

Quote:
Originally Posted by 602x1023 View Post
In VirtualDub, I can select and delete a section of video. I can select, cut and append a section of video to the end of the same video. But what I am trying to do is to cut a short section out of a video and insert that clip into a separate video, call it Video #2.

Such a task would be a routine matter if done in my Premier Elements editing program, but I would like to effect this task in VirtualDub so that my VHS-to-VirtualDub-captured AVI will be the complete starting video file to then be loaded into my editing program for further editing. (Thus perhaps avoiding and additional re-encoding and/or having to retain both capture files.)

In VirtualDub, can one cut a section of video from video file #1 and insert it into video file #2? Might the VirtualDub “Export” / “Import” function come into play here?

Thank you.
Are they the same characteristics (same dimensions, same audio channels, sampling rate etc...) ?

Another way is to join file #1 and file #2 in the same vdub instance, then edit them (cut, paste, delete whatever sections)

eg.
file=>edit append avi segmeent
poisondeathray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2021, 20:39   #3  |  Link
602x1023

Quote:
Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
Are they the same characteristics (same dimensions, same audio channels, sampling rate etc...) ?

Another way is to join file #1 and file #2 in the same vdub instance, then edit them (cut, paste, delete whatever sections)

eg.
file=>edit append avi segment

Yes, all of the characteristics that I set are identical (one VHS capture made immediately after the other). Since, however, I captured using the UT Video codec (thus I did not set the sampling rate), perhaps you would regard this as not the same sampling rates.

Regarding your "Another way" suggestion: I was not previously aware of the "File =>Append AVI Segment" function. I suppose I simply never noticed it. I see it now and will test it.

Thank you.

Last edited by 602x1023; 4th April 2021 at 21:28.
602x1023 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
editing virtualdub