Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > Avisynth Development

Old 23rd February 2015, 17:18   #341  |  Link
Groucho2004

Quote:
Originally Posted by hello_hello View Post
You might be able to demux and remux the video to get it to behave, but what about the MKV I uploaded? Can you use fpsnum and fpsden to change the frame rate? And what about the AVI, does LWLibavVideoSource lose the plot completely as it does for me?
The mkv and avi you uploaded are obviously bolloxed.
The elementary stream is fine and when I mux it into a mkv, everything is OK. The question is - what went wrong when you created the mkv?

Lastly, muxing avc into an avi should be avoided anyway.
Groucho2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2015, 17:37   #342  |  Link
hello_hello

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groucho2004 View Post
The mkv and avi you uploaded are obviously bolloxed.
The elementary stream is fine and when I mux it into a mkv, everything is OK. The question is - what went wrong when you created the mkv?

Lastly, muxing avc into an avi should be avoided anyway.
The AVI is only bolloxed when using LWLibavVideoSource. I normally wouldn't put AVC in an AVI without a specific reason but I thought I'd test it.

If something went wrong with the MKV when it was created it's persisted through several remuxes and splitting and seems to only effect LWLibavVideoSource. How "something going wrong" could stop L-Smash from doing frame rate conversion is still a mystery.

If you're motivated, try remuxing the extracted stream with ffmpeg. I can't get it to play nice. It keeps dropping the first 50 seconds and I'm left with a 16 second MP4/MKV. It's odd.

I've really got to do some work. See you later......

Last edited by hello_hello; 23rd February 2015 at 17:51.
hello_hello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2015, 18:23   #343  |  Link
kolak

Have a small issue with new ffmpeg supported format, which is GrassValey HQX codec.
Height is returned in vs as 1088 (instead of 1080), so I assume it misses some automatic cropping (looks like LWLibavSource forces mod16 mode).
I can provide sample file if needed.
kolak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2015, 20:42   #344  |  Link
hello_hello

Is L-Smash deliberately snubbing XP these days? The latest version (r784) won't run on XP. Neither would r783.
Old 15th March 2015, 21:25   #345  |  Link
Reel.Deel

Quote:
Is L-Smash deliberately snubbing XP these days? The latest version (r784) won't run on XP. Neither would r783.
have you tried L-SMASH-Works-r783-20150223-32bit-XP.7z?
Reel.Deel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2015, 00:37   #346  |  Link
hello_hello

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reel.Deel View Post
No, but I will.
Thanks.
Old 16th March 2015, 03:52   #347  |  Link
the_weirdo
Yes, I'm weird.

Quote:
I was busy last time so I didn't answer this. L-SMASH Works itself isn't "deliberately snubbing" XP, as it doesn't require features which are exclusive on later Windows versions. It's just me who don't support XP in my builds anymore (since the begining of 2015). As I'm only sharing _my_ builds to anyone who needs them, I'm not responsible for providing builds that are as compatible as possible.

L-SMASH Works and its dependencies are open-source, the toolchain is also free, anyone can grab the source and build it themselve. Someone may provide a XP-compatible version. But it's not me. Sorry about that.

Last edited by the_weirdo; 16th March 2015 at 03:54.
the_weirdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2015, 08:03   #348  |  Link
StainlessS
HeartlessS Usurer

Quote:
It's just me who don't support XP in my builds anymore
Well at least please let people know of the limitations everywhere that you post your links.
Thank you.

"Some infinities are bigger than other infinities", but how many of them are infinitely bigger ???
StainlessS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2015, 10:59   #349  |  Link
TheFluff
Excessively jovial fellow

I have a modest proposal: how about you upgrade to an OS from the last decade
TheFluff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2015, 11:38   #350  |  Link
burfadel

Yes, I shouldn't need to post this in another thread, and yet I am .

Quote:
Windows XP.

Compiling for Windows XP and making it universal is detrimental to users of Windows 8.1 etc.
burfadel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2015, 14:16   #351  |  Link
StainlessS
HeartlessS Usurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFluff View Post
I have a modest proposal: how about you upgrade to an OS from the last decade
No !

I dont expect that Zathor was aware that he was breaking MeGUI for XP when downloading The_Weirdo's offering. I'm perfectly OK with The_Weirdo not supporting XP, what I do have a problem with is breaking stuff due to not stating requirement.

EDIT:
Quote:
Originally Posted by burfadel View Post
Yes, I shouldn't need to post this in another thread, and yet I am .
And I should not have to post this.

"Some infinities are bigger than other infinities", but how many of them are infinitely bigger ???

Last edited by StainlessS; 16th March 2015 at 14:33.
Old 16th March 2015, 15:28   #352  |  Link
burfadel

Quote:
Originally Posted by StainlessS View Post
And I should not have to post this.
It's 2015, not 2007. In 2007, there was a reason to stick to XP - Windows Vista. There is really no valid reason to to stick with XP any more. System can't run Windows 7/8.1/10? Well, it probably shouldn't be used for encoding either. Stressing old components and all.

Not to mention Windows XP is no longer supposed security patch wise, unless on that paid plan or whatever (which would be stupid to be part of), which they're ending shortly anyway. It's hardly a point worth saying. It's old, defunct, full of security holes, and regardless of any complaints I might get because of this statement, they shouldn't be encouraged to continue using it. If they're too stubborn to change from XP why on earth are they wanting to latest encoding tools?

Last edited by burfadel; 16th March 2015 at 15:33.
Old 16th March 2015, 15:52   #353  |  Link
Wilbert

@burfadel, stop trolling. It's not up to you to say which os people should use.
Wilbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2015, 16:08   #354  |  Link
burfadel

It wasn't my intention to troll. Actually Microsoft have summed up what I said (and keeping in mind this page isn't new):
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-AU/w...d-support-help

With that in mind, and people still using XP for banking and other financial transfers, I just fully believe it's continued use shouldn't be encouraged.
Old 16th March 2015, 16:42   #355  |  Link
hello_hello

Quote:
It's 2015, not 2007. In 2007, there was a reason to stick to XP - Windows Vista. There is really no valid reason to to stick with XP any more.
Granted, software/driver support for XP isn't universal any more, but even in 2015 the best Windows upgrade scenario I can expect still seems to be the software I use will continue to work as it always has.

Quote:
If they're too stubborn to change from XP why on earth are they wanting to latest encoding tools?
It's a tangible benefit thing and a not an upgrading just for the sake of it thing.
The next PC I build (which is well overdue) won't run XP, but this one does (and very possibly will until it dies) so it'd be nice to know when updated software no longer supports XP. If that's okay with you?

Last edited by hello_hello; 16th March 2015 at 17:10.
Old 16th March 2015, 19:10   #356  |  Link
jones1913
random user

@xp users try this: https://www.mediafire.com/folder/17q...t/LSMASH-Works

Some time ago I build the dll for personal use, but then I stopped when the_weirdo offers his builds. It was easy to reactivate my build environment now...
Build with VS2010, tell me if it works and how speed compares.

I mostly agree that it is a bad idea to use xp on production/online systems these days, but it is not up to us to force anybody to upgrade.
Everybody must self decide and weight up the risks.

I personally use a NT 5.2 x64 virtual machine on my Linux PC for Windows specific tasks, because a Win7 VM would need 3 times the disk space.
And this system got all updates via offline method and never saw an online connection.
Old 17th March 2015, 02:36   #357  |  Link
hello_hello

Quote:
Originally Posted by jones1913 View Post
@xp users try this: https://www.mediafire.com/folder/17q...t/LSMASH-Works

Some time ago I build the dll for personal use, but then I stopped when the_weirdo offers his builds. It was easy to reactivate my build environment now...
Build with VS2010, tell me if it works and how speed compares.
I haven't checked for any speed difference yet but it definitely works on XP. Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jones1913 View Post
I mostly agree that it is a bad idea to use xp on production/online systems these days, but it is not up to us to force anybody to upgrade.
Everybody must self decide and weight up the risks.
I honestly don't know how people get infected. It must take a bit of effort, even when running XP. It's not like we're all still using IE6 and in danger of an ActiveX drive-by infection wherever we go.
No antivirus program here. No anti-malware program. No software firewall. Just me, XP and Firefox (behind a router). I haven't even run Windows update in over a year. Around once per year or so I do install anti-virus software and run a full scan before restoring the previous Windows image. Just to see what it'll find. Then I restore the image, update everything and create a new one. I've been doing that for years and so far the nastiest thing a scan has found is a naughty cookie or two.
Old 17th March 2015, 03:45   #358  |  Link
the_weirdo
Yes, I'm weird.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StainlessS View Post
Well at least please let people know of the limitations everywhere that you post your links.
Thank you.
You're right. It's my fault. Sorry about that. When I made the change, I forgot to announce it here. Then I'd completely forgotten about it until hello_hello reported his problem.

I'm not forcing anyone to upgrade. They're free to use whichever OS that suits them. That said, I've my own decision and I'm not trying to please everyone.
Old 17th March 2015, 09:21   #359  |  Link
StainlessS
HeartlessS Usurer

Quote:
I'm not forcing anyone to upgrade.
Yes I know, sorry if I sounded curt, was not my intent and is of course your decision.
Anyways, Peace bro

PS, Thank you Jonesy (I hate being called that), I'll give it a try

Old 17th March 2015, 13:24   #360  |  Link
Groucho2004

Quote:
I honestly don't know how people get infected.
It's a mystery to me as well. I think it's Pebcac.

Quote:
No antivirus program here. No anti-malware program. No software firewall. Just me, XP and Firefox (behind a router). I haven't even run Windows update in over a year. Around once per year or so I do install anti-virus software and run a full scan before restoring the previous Windows image. Just to see what it'll find. Then I restore the image, update everything and create a new one. I've been doing that for years and so far the nastiest thing a scan has found is a naughty cookie or two.
Pretty much the same here. I do however use a software firewall, mainly to monitor any odd activities. Call me paranoid.

The only time I got a virus/worm was in the early 2000's (Blaster). At that time I used Win2000, ISDN dialup without any firewall. I just restored my Ghost image and the problem was solved in 5 minutes.
Groucho2004 is offline   Reply With Quote