Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 25th November 2018, 19:12   #53721  |  Link
Bulldogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ampallang View Post
As far as I heard they are both equal. only nvidia can't do 10bit output and the vega needs more power.
What does "vega needs more power," exactly mean? Bigger power supply or no limitation that is inherit to the card that can't be solved?
Bulldogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2018, 21:28   #53722  |  Link
iSeries

Quote:
Originally Posted by j82k View Post
The thing with Oleds is, they are terrible at near-blacks. Not only the uniformity but also the near-black gradation so I totally don't mind some dithering noise which hides this ugliness a little bit and also makes the gradation a little smoother. I wish Oleds would just dither the near-blacks by default like plasmas did. This would solve alot of problems and only cause a bit of noise.

edit: madshi should implement some algorithm to madVR for Oled owners that does heavy dithering to near-blacks and less and less on brighter parts of the picture.
Madshi, if this is something you could implement, there's a bunch of oled owners who'd be forever grateful! I know you don't have an oled but we could test for you. On my C8, I have to have madVR dither to 5bit to get acceptable near-black gradation.
iSeries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2018, 21:50   #53723  |  Link
tony359

Hi there,
I'm using DisplayCAL and MadVR's test pattern generator to profile my display. I've just updated everything to the latest version, including video driver (GTX 1050Ti). MadVR's patterns are constantly flashing on screen, there is a double flash every three seconds. I have never seen this before. Is this intentional/known/am I doing something wrong?
Thanks!
tony359 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2018, 22:56   #53724  |  Link
ryrynz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogger View Post
What does "vega needs more power," exactly mean?
Uses more power.
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2018, 03:42   #53725  |  Link
seiyafan

How's performance on Vega 64 compared to GTX 1080?
seiyafan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2018, 04:13   #53726  |  Link
huhn

there are not a lot of vega cards out there is considered an all over pretty bad card for consumer use.

even the 56 can spike to ~600 watt for an relative long time. and it is unclear if AMD makes any money with them.

so not that easy to find a user with it. it could be much faster for madVR use than a 1080.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2018, 06:03   #53727  |  Link
JarrettH

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryrynz View Post
NGU AA low vs Super-xbr 100 AR

Super-xbr 100 is a nice light weight option and my previous favorite but at 100 I feel is a tad sharp which you may notice as I did, at 75 however it should look fairly similar to NGU AA low.
Much bigger difference. I used xbr-100 for the longest time too. You can see here it's a bit too juiced up and in certain areas of cloth it feels like the colour is clipping. Thanks!
JarrettH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2018, 09:49   #53728  |  Link
SirSwede

Does madVR support using DCIP3 as colour gamut instead of Rec709?
SirSwede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2018, 11:32   #53729  |  Link
tony359

I'd like to update my last post

I found that the flashing only happens when FSE is enabled. I've now disabled it and all is good. Which takes me to the following question: is FSE still a good idea these days? I believe I read comments suggesting it's not really needed anymore.
Thanks
Old 26th November 2018, 11:49   #53730  |  Link
huhn

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirSwede View Post
Does madVR support using DCIP3 as colour gamut instead of Rec709?
madVR supports all kinds of gamuts DCI P3 is one of them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tony359 View Post
I'd like to update my last post

I found that the flashing only happens when FSE is enabled. I've now disabled it and all is good. Which takes me to the following question: is FSE still a good idea these days? I believe I read comments suggesting it's not really needed anymore.
Thanks
it depends on your system but you are usually fine without it.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2018, 13:42   #53731  |  Link
OnkelB

Hey guys!
I have got an issue with the “automatically detect hard coded black bars” option. It won’t work when using D3D11 automatic (Native) Mode in LAV Filters. I know that it doesn’t work with DXVA2 native mode, but what about D3D11?
The option works when I use copy back mode, but rendering times are getting insane then. Is there any fix for that?
OnkelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2018, 13:55   #53732  |  Link
sneaker_ger

No fix. Black bar detection is simply not supported for D3D11 native and DXVA2 native.
sneaker_ger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2018, 14:15   #53733  |  Link
OnkelB

That’s what I thought, but I couldn’t find that info anywhere. Thank you for verifying!
OnkelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2018, 16:20   #53734  |  Link
tony359

Quote:
Originally Posted by huhn View Post
it depends on your system but you are usually fine without it.
Thanks.
How do I find out if I am within the "usual" systems?
Old 26th November 2018, 20:36   #53735  |  Link
cork_OS

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony359 View Post
Thanks.
How do I find out if I am within the "usual" systems?
If you have no problems with HDR, high bit-depth and custom refresh rates, you don't need FSE.
Old 26th November 2018, 21:17   #53736  |  Link
mclingo

Quote:
Originally Posted by iSeries View Post
Madshi, if this is something you could implement, there's a bunch of oled owners who'd be forever grateful! I know you don't have an oled but we could test for you. On my C8, I have to have madVR dither to 5bit to get acceptable near-black gradation.
we've discussed this before, it isnt that OLEDS are particularly bad at near black, I keep hearing this but I dont see it. I have a first gen OLED and I can tell you that it you feed it a good image you get one right back if its setup right.

Where they struggle is poorly mastered compressed material where there is macro blocking at near black. An LCD will have exactly the same problems if they could do perfect black, LCD just masks these areas as its all just a grey mush. My OLED cant fix this, Later panels added a black crush and some extra processing to hide some of this but mine has none of this so I use MADVR, I guess you could say i'm seeing the picture as it is, warts and all.

I do agree however some extra dithering patterns near black would be very useful, especially for TV rips. Some of the netflix, amazon and particularly sky stuff has been so bad over the years even though I was paying for it I sometimes had to download the episode so you I can run it through MADVR and apply some image processing.

BBC are the worst offenders IMHO, there compression is horrific, Peaky blinders has been completely unwatchable at times due to streaming compression artifacts.
Old 26th November 2018, 21:34   #53737  |  Link
iSeries

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclingo View Post
we've discussed this before, it isnt that OLEDS are particularly bad at near black, I keep hearing this but I dont see it. I have a first gen OLED and I can tell you that it you feed it a good image you get one right back if its setup right.

Where they struggle is poorly mastered compressed material where there is macro blocking at near black. An LCD will have exactly the same problems if they could do perfect black, LCD just masks these areas as its all just a grey mush. My OLED cant fix this, Later panels added a black crush and some extra processing to hide some of this but mine has none of this so I use MADVR, I guess you could say i'm seeing the picture as it is, warts and all.

I do agree however some extra dithering patterns near black would be very useful, especially for TV rips. Some of the netflix, amazon and particularly sky stuff has been so bad over the years even though I was paying for it I sometimes had to download the episode so you I can run it through MADVR and apply some image processing.

BBC are the worst offenders IMHO, there compression is horrific, Peaky blinders has been completely unwatchable at times due to streaming compression artifacts.
Trust me, it's different with 2018 OLEDs. For some reason they are pumping brightness through near black and causing near black artifacts to flash brightly. Pause the video and the flashing stops, press play again and the crazy flashing starts again. This does seem to be a bug because sending the same content as bt.2020 instead of bt.709 and this flashing does not occur. That isn't a viable solution but luckily dithering to 5bit also solves the issue (no flashing). This also was not an issue with the two C7s I had. Or any other TV i've had lol.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-ol...l#post57140188

Last edited by iSeries; 26th November 2018 at 21:50.
Old 26th November 2018, 22:30   #53738  |  Link
tony359

Quote:
Originally Posted by cork_OS View Post
If you have no problems with HDR, high bit-depth and custom refresh rates, you don't need FSE.
No HDR involved but never managed to get custom refresh rates to work - it's on my to do list to investigate better.
What do you mean with "high bit depth" - I mean, I know what that is but how does it apply here?

Thanks
Old 26th November 2018, 23:59   #53739  |  Link
el Filou

Quote:
Originally Posted by iSeries View Post
luckily dithering to 5bit also solves the issue
If that is the solution, the panel manufacturer really ought to have a look at the problem tbh.
Old 27th November 2018, 00:18   #53740  |  Link
iSeries

Quote:
Originally Posted by el Filou View Post
If that is the solution, the panel manufacturer really ought to have a look at the problem tbh.
'Solves' is the wrong word. Effectively reduces the effect would be a better way of saying it. And sending bt.709 content as bt.2020 also effectively reduces the effect...I mean, how does that make sense, other than a processing bug in the TV? But yeah, not great for a so-called 10bit panel. Some dark content is downright ugly on this. Thank the lord madshi for madVR though!

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling