Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-4 Encoder GUIs

Old 11th September 2022, 10:57   #19601  |  Link
Atak_Snajpera
RipBot264 author

Quote:
The chances of that situation happening would be VERY rare, as the last chunk is always nearly half as big again, than the second last chunk !!!
When you code something you MUST always take edge cases into consideration! Soon or later you will have case where last chunk would be extremely short.
Atak_Snajpera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2022, 11:18   #19602  |  Link
TDS
Formally known as .......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atak_Snajpera View Post
When you code something you MUST always take edge cases into consideration! Soon or later you will have case where last chunk would be extremely short.
Well, it would certainly be rare, I'm sure it would be greatly appreciated if it could be changed, and IF that "edge case" occurs, then deal with it some other way, which could be simply to re-encode NOT using DE, so it wouldn't be an issue.

Wishful thinking

RipBot264 modded builds..
TDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2022, 12:23   #19603  |  Link
Atak_Snajpera
RipBot264 author

Quote:
then deal with it some other way, which could be simply to re-encode NOT using DE, so it wouldn't be an issue.
Great. Solution which creates another problem. No thanks!

Remember. The simplest solutions are often the best. I'm not going to mess in that part of the code. Ain't broken , don't fix it!

Last edited by Atak_Snajpera; 11th September 2022 at 12:25.
Old 11th September 2022, 12:44   #19604  |  Link
TDS

Quote:
Ain't broken , don't fix it!
Well, if you don't want to mess with the code, maybe you need to consider putting your code on github, and give someone else a chance to "play".

I'm sure you could make a copy of the code, then make a change, let us user's give it a good test, and if it doesn't work, then, go back to what works...there's NOTHING to lose !!!

Old 11th September 2022, 12:55   #19605  |  Link
Atak_Snajpera
RipBot264 author

I doubt that you will find anybody who codes in Delphi7 here
Old 11th September 2022, 13:24   #19606  |  Link
TDS

Quote:
Well you never know, somebody might leave a post saying that they're proficient with Delphi 7.

What would be really great, if you released a Beta version with some of these radical changes, and if it doesn't work it doesn't matter...

Old 11th September 2022, 23:00   #19607  |  Link
LigH
German doom9/Gleitz SuMo

Quote:
Maybe stupid windows 11 is suspending minimized EncodingServer.exe after sometime?
Windows 10 sometimes quits ProcessExplorer's tray icons even though it is registered as task manager...

New German Gleitz board
MediaFire: x264 | x265 | VPx | AOM | Xvid
LigH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2022, 21:55   #19608  |  Link
Ryushin

Quote:
Hi Atak,

I use to do some serious Pascal programming back in the 90's. I may do all my programming in Linux now, but I can take a look. Though the big issue though is getting access to the source code in case something happened to you. So Github/Gitlab/Gitea would be great.

And you're right about the edge cases. Having the software work is the end goal.

I can probably get Dephi7 running under WINE or I can do under in a Windows VM.
Ryushin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2022, 01:34   #19609  |  Link
TDS

Quote:
Well, well, well, like I said previously, someone might leave a post saying that were familiar with Delphi7

And tbh, I was actually thinking (hoping) that it might be Ryushin, and there you have it

Now I think you have some respect for Ryushin, just going on past posts & comments, and I know that you could definitely trust him with your well guarded code.

Who knows, you two "working" together could be REALLY good for the future of RipBot.

But of course it's all up to you, are you willing, or happy to release the code ??

Old 14th September 2022, 13:37   #19610  |  Link
Ryushin

RipBot Software Project

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDS View Post
And tbh, I was actually thinking (hoping) that it might be Ryushin, and there you have it

Who knows, you two "working" together could be REALLY good for the future of RipBot.

But of course it's all up to you, are you willing, or happy to release the code ??
Now hold on. I need to put a damper on your enthusiasm there. There is a lot more than Atak just simply releasing the source code. Atak's knowledge of encoding with all of it's deep level of details is a huge wealth of knowledge. I don't have that level of expertise, but that does not say I could not learn it. The big issue regarding all of this is time.

Atak started RB over 15 years ago. It has been one of his great works and passions. But I'm sure, over that 15 years, Atak's life has changed. He could very well be married and have a family. He may not have much time to work on RB any longer and as such there have been few updates.

Atak mentioned many years ago RB was written in Delphi Pascal. I've always had a soft heart towards pascal as I did my first serious programming with it on the Apple ][e all those years ago. But time marches on. I've lived mostly in the Linux world since '93. I've done most of my programming there. I mostly do Shell scripts as I pretty much do all my work over ssh, but occasionally I'll do some C, C++, Python, etc. I'm not a Windows programmer and I don't know the Windows APIs. I'm also not a programmer by trade. I'm a Systems Engineer that takes care of Firewalls, Servers, Networks, etc. I do some programming for creating tools to take care of servers and do my job. But these programs are short and act as a tools for what I need to do.

I'm also not retired. I have my wife who almost died a few years ago and had several years of recovery. I re-evaluated my life at that point and I choose to spend more time with her as life can be short and I don't want to get to my end of days and say I should have worked more. So I have enough on my plate with work, life, and everything else without taking on a huge project.

There are some big barriers to adding features to RB. The first thing though is Atak needs to put his project up on Github/Gitlab/Gitea, etc. That way in case something happens to him, his work is not lost to the world as he is the only one that has successfully created a not commercial solution for distributed encoding.

The other issue is the online updates. This is completely under his control. It would probably be better if the updates went over Git with RB branches of Stable and Dev. All the packages and tools could easily be updated in that manner and it would make it very easy to distribute.

Once the source code is released, then the real problem comes into being, and that is it is written in Delphi Pascal. Hardly no one writes in this any longer and as such it will act as a large barrier to attract developers. RB needs to be re-written from the ground up in a new language. Could be Visual Basic like StaxRip is using, or Python, .NET, etc. But once the source is available, we can see how Atak created everything and the level of knowledge and detail he learned to make RB work. Then perhaps RibBotNG (Next Gen) can be born.

So yea, I have great respect for Atak. This has been a massive project for one person and he has gone far above and beyond what most developers do to support his work. I just don't want to see RB go quietly into the dark. At least if the source code is available, then we can at least probably get it to compile and fix the occasional bug.
Old 15th September 2022, 07:14   #19611  |  Link
TDS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryushin View Post
Now hold on. I need to put a damper on your enthusiasm there. There is a lot more than Atak just simply releasing the source code.
Now, you did put your hand up about having some knowledge of Delphi.

I know it's not that simple, but if it were to happen, it has to be a good thing for RipBot's future.

You've definitely got some interesting thoughts about what could be done.

Old 15th September 2022, 14:09   #19612  |  Link
Ryushin

Quote:
Now, you did put your hand up about having some knowledge of Delphi.
I said I knew the Pascal programming language. Delphi uses Pascal as it's base and extends on it. It's been so long since I programmed in Pascal it will be like learning the language all over again. What I'm saying is that I could learn it again.
Old 17th September 2022, 04:59   #19613  |  Link
Pauly Dunne
Grumpy Old Man.

A completely re-hashed new build..

Hey guy's,

I have spent quite a bit of time re-hashing the structure of this build, so that "my" "Tool's" & "Scripts" are in their own folders.

Which of course means that ALL the scripts have had to be updated to the new "path's", which unfortunately means that NONE of them will work in previous builds.

This build has ALL the previous updates, as well as a couple of new updates (see changelog for more info), and this build is also complete, not just a "Tools" folder.

Also, there is a good chance that my 2 main folders could be copied into a standard RipBot, and work, as long as they are copied into the same locations !!!! (I haven't tested this idea).

https://www.mediafire.com/file/vfyju...09-22).7z/file

I will also be removing all but the "virgin" build of RipBot on MediaFire, to avoid confusion.

https://www.mediafire.com/file/caq1q...virgin.7z/file

EDIT:- Don't forget to check the "RipBot264.ini", so that it suits your requirements & computer.

Last edited by Pauly Dunne; 17th September 2022 at 05:26.
Pauly Dunne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2022, 20:24   #19614  |  Link
hardkhora

Is there an example text file of using the Automated Batch Mode and how to specify different encode settings?
Ideally this allows different AviSynth settings too?
hardkhora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2022, 02:59   #19615  |  Link
TDS

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardkhora View Post
Is there an example text file of using the Automated Batch Mode and how to specify different encode settings?
Ideally this allows different AviSynth settings too?
Hi, tbh I haven't used this function, but since you've posed the question, I thought I'd take a look.

I think once you've set up a "Watched Folder", you can set up the Avisynth settings for that folder, and save it, and then you could add another folder with different settings...
once these are saved, a _RipBot264.ini file is saved to that "Watched Folder", and from there you can see the settings for that folder.

You could even edit the settings in the .ini file, too.

Also, you should be able to "recall" those saved folders in the future, by choosing the "Automated" mode in Batch, and then click on the saved folder and all the Avisynth settings will be shown.

I think it works a little bit like the Batch feature in Handbrake, so whatever files are in that "Watched Folder" get added to the Job queue, using the Avisynth settings for that particular folder.

I hope that makes sense to you, and you can figure out what you need to do....

I have just tried to use this, and it's not working, meaning it doesn't want to start encoding , but I will persist !!!
Long term RipBot264 user.

Last edited by TDS; 18th September 2022 at 03:32.
Old 24th September 2022, 06:32   #19616  |  Link
TDS

Missing setting...

Hi Atak,

I was just reading the changelog for v1.26.2, and there is an added item, which does not seem to appear where it says it should, under [settings] in the RipBot264.ini.

Code:
AllJobsFinishedNotification=0
https://i.imgur.com/chHmWgw.jpg

Does this have to added by the user ??

And in reference to my previous post, could you PLEASE give some instruction on how "Watched Folders" work ??

Old 24th September 2022, 13:45   #19617  |  Link
Atak_Snajpera
RipBot264 author

Quote:
Does this have to added by the user ??
Yes..
Old 24th September 2022, 13:56   #19618  |  Link
TDS

Quote:
Yes..
Thankyou...

So I'm guessing that a value of 1, would be the same as not having it in the .ini at all.

And about Watched Folders, please ??

Old 25th September 2022, 08:22   #19619  |  Link
Atak_Snajpera
RipBot264 author

Quote:
Thankyou...

So I'm guessing that a value of 1, would be the same as not having it in the .ini at all.

And about Watched Folders, please ??
No idea why you need a tutorial but here you go...
https://youtu.be/SkfVyWZzJPo
Old 25th September 2022, 08:26   #19620  |  Link
TDS

Quote:
No idea why you need a tutorial but here you go...
https://youtu.be/SkfVyWZzJPo
Thanks Atak,

and I'm not the only one that will appreciate this, just a shame it's in Polish, but I guess "we" can figure that out.

Cheers

PS:- is that Windows 11 I see there

Last edited by TDS; 25th September 2022 at 08:28.

Tags
264, 265, appletv, avchd, bluray, gui, iphone, ipod, ps3, psp, ripbot264, x264 2-pass, x264 gui, x264_64, x265, xbox360