Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-4 Encoder GUIs

Old 27th December 2012, 17:17   #2761  |  Link
Zathor

Quote:
Originally Posted by unknownsoldierX View Post
In short, if MeGUI has a file missing error, it shouldn't freak out and delete all the other files which are most likely still viable.
Correct, MeGUI will not do that on his own in case of an error. The files will still be available.
Instead you have deleted the job in the queue which will then delete the intermediate files - this is the part of the cleanup process. As said before for this part a warning message should be added.
Zathor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2012, 17:29   #2762  |  Link
unknownsoldierX

I don't remember deleting the job, but perhaps I did. Maybe with the warning message, you could have a prompt asking if the files should be deleted?
unknownsoldierX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2012, 17:31   #2763  |  Link
Zathor

Quote:
Originally Posted by unknownsoldierX View Post
Maybe with the warning message, you could have a prompt asking if the files should be deleted?
Yes, something like that will be added in the future.

Code:
2239 [AviSynth Script Creator] added "Aspect Ratio Error"
2238 [AviSynth Script Creator] enabled upsizing
Old 27th December 2012, 18:53   #2764  |  Link
Overdrive80
Anime addict

Hey Zathor, I have perceived that value of aspect error is diferent to mine. I attach snapshot:

I use this algorithm:

Code:
Function aspect_error(clip B, int "L_crop", int "U_crop", int "R_crop", int "B_crop", int "Op_width", int "Op_height")
{
	#Defaults

In_width = B.width()
	In_height= B.height()

Op_width        = default( Op_width,   In_width)
	Op_height       = default( Op_height,  In_height)

#Crop & calc

Crop_width=In_width - abs(L_crop) - abs(R_crop)
	Crop_height=In_height - abs(U_crop) - abs(B_crop)

Calc=(1-(float(Op_width*Crop_height))/(float(Crop_width*Op_height)))*100

return Calc
}
If you change crop value (that case) or resize, not exists autorefresh aspect error value.

Last edited by Overdrive80; 27th December 2012 at 18:55.
Overdrive80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2012, 19:23   #2765  |  Link
TSoft

After update today to last build (2239), I am unable to open AVS Script Creator.

Last edited by TSoft; 27th December 2012 at 19:29.
TSoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2012, 19:59   #2766  |  Link
Zathor

Any error? How are you trying to open the ASC?
Old 27th December 2012, 20:05   #2767  |  Link
Zathor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overdrive80 View Post
If you change crop value (that case) or resize, not exists autorefresh aspect error value.
Thank you very much - indeed the crop event was not checked (resize is checked) and it will be fixed in the next build. Beside that I use already more or less the same code as you so the result should be the same:

Code:
            int iHeight = (int)file.VideoInfo.Height - Cropping.top - Cropping.bottom;
            int iWidth = (int)file.VideoInfo.Width - Cropping.left - Cropping.right;
            double aspectError = Math.Abs(1 - (iWidth * (double)verticalResolution.Value) / (iHeight * (double)horizontalResolution.Value));
Old 27th December 2012, 20:52   #2768  |  Link
Overdrive80
Anime addict

@Zathor I believe that the use of abs, in this case, is not necessary. Negative values ​​also represent a valid case, indicate zoom or upsize.
Old 27th December 2012, 22:01   #2769  |  Link
Zathor

Code:
2242 [AviSynth Script Creator] show signed "Aspect Ratio Error"
2241 [Worker] a finished temporary worker will not start anymore idle workers. Bug #691
              several small optimizations
2240 [AviSynth Script Creator] "Aspect Ratio Error" will also be changed if cropping is changed
Old 27th December 2012, 22:39   #2770  |  Link
TSoft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zathor View Post
Any error? How are you trying to open the ASC?

From menu tools.

This appears now:

http://i46.tinypic.com/35k4a6c.jpg

Here the log:
http://pastebin.com/J7FuzANK

Last edited by TSoft; 27th December 2012 at 23:06.
Old 27th December 2012, 23:14   #2771  |  Link
Zathor

Thx, (hopefully) fixed in 2243.
Old 27th December 2012, 23:32   #2772  |  Link
TSoft

Quote:
Thx, (hopefully) fixed in 2243.
Thanks now it works again
Old 28th December 2012, 13:10   #2773  |  Link
hello_hello

Wow! Ask and you shall receive..... and over the xmas period too!

Just a thank you for changing MeGUI's resizing to allow resizing "up" and for the addition of the aspect error information. If I had a first born, he/she would now be yours Zathor.

A few things.....(MeGUI 2243)
The light grey text is pretty hard to read when the background turns red. At least using my monitor.

When you activate the resizing, the aspect ratio error turns red when it's equal to or greater than the acceptable aspect error set it MeGUI's options (I assume). Which means, as I have the acceptable aspect error set to 0%, the aspect ratio error box is always red, even when I'm not actually resizing. Just checking anamorphic encoding or enabling resizing will turn it red.

The resize dimension colour change doesn't seem to take cropping into account, only the original source resolution, so it can fail to turn red when you're resizing up even when you are, after cropping. Personally I think as soon as you crop a couple of pixels, the appropriate width or height should turn red if it's not automatically reduced accordingly.

There's a minor GUI oddity between the way the anamorphic encoding options and the "suggest resolution" option interacts. When enabling anamorphic encoding and "resize to mod16", the "suggest resolution" option is available. Change the anamorphic option to something else and it becomes greyed out. Switch back to the "resize to mod16" anamorphic option and it remains greyed out until the anamorphic encoded option is disabled completely and then re-enabled.

Currently the aspect error calculation seems to work based on the source storage aspect ratio rather than the display aspect ratio and I'm not sure it's offering the correct aspect ratio error when using anamorphic encoding. Is it supposed to?? For example when opening a 704x384 AVI and cropping 2 pixels from one side, with resizing still at 704x384 the aspect error displayed is 0.235%. With anamorphic encoding enabled and the resolution the same, MeGUI adds 170:93 as the aspect ratio to the script which seems correct, in which case shouldn't the aspect ratio error reduce accordingly?
When opening a PAL 16:9 DVD with resizing left at 720x576 (non-anamorphic), MeGUI displays a 0% aspect error. Using "suggest mod16 resolution" resizes to 720x400 but increases the aspect error to around 30%, so I guess the calculation isn't taking the source pixel aspect ratio into account.

MeGUI's anamorphic encoding option seems to do it's resizing in an odd fashion since the changes, when using the anamorphic resize to mod16 option.... which I guess becomes resize to mod2 or mod4 depending on the "suggest resolution" setting. It's the same when resizing to square pixels with "suggest resolution" enabled. With it set to mod2, cropping 2 pixels from the side of a PAL DVD automatically changes the resizing to 720x578 while the height displays red, rather than resize down to 718x576. Cropping 4 pixels gives me 720x580 instead of 716x576. Of course it's easy enough to manually change the width to 716 and MeGUI will change the height back to 576 but it seems to be calculating the wrong way. A week ago MeGUI wouldn't let me resize up, today it's almost insisting. It'd be more consistent if cropping the width reduces the width the same way cropping the height reduces the height.

The aspect error being displayed and the aspect ratio MeGUI adds to the script can't always both be correct, as the aspect ratio being added to the script changes according to the "acceptable aspect error" setting in MeGUI's options, however the aspect ratio error calculation does not. I'm still not sure if the aspect error being displayed is supposed be correct when using anamorphic encoding, but if it's supposed to be, I guess it isn't.
For instance if you have the "acceptable aspect error" set to 2% in MeGUI's settings, cropping a few pixels from a DVD won't change the aspect ratio being added to the script. It'll stay as 16:9 until you've cropped more than a few more pixels. The Aspect Ratio Error being displayed increases with each crop, which is at least the expected result.
When you change the acceptable aspect error option to 0%, the aspect ratio being added to the script changes each time you crop as it should, but the aspect error calculations remain the same as before. I assume if the aspect ratio being added to the script changes according to the "accpetable aspect error" setting, so too should the aspect error calculation?

Anyway, thanks again for the resizing improvements!! I guess either there's still a few bugs, or I'm simply not understanding how it should work. It's really only since the changes I've started using MeGUI to do the resizing. Until a few days ago I've been adding it to the script manually, so maybe I've still got to get my head around how MeGUI does it.

Last edited by hello_hello; 28th December 2012 at 13:31.
hello_hello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2012, 14:39   #2774  |  Link
Zathor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hello_hello View Post
The light grey text is pretty hard to read when the background turns red.
Changed

Quote:
When you activate the resizing, the aspect ratio error turns red when it's equal to or greater than the acceptable aspect error set it MeGUI's options (I assume). Which means, as I have the acceptable aspect error set to 0%, the aspect ratio error box is always red, even when I'm not actually resizing.
Fixed - it is now only red if the value is greater than (and not equal) to the selected error value.

Quote:
The resize dimension colour change doesn't seem to take cropping into account, only the original source resolution, so it can fail to turn red when you're resizing up even when you are, after cropping.
Fixed

Quote:
I guess either there's still a few bugs, or I'm simply not understanding how it should work.
The point is that I am not using the resizing part myself very often and I have never used the anamorphic resizing part for productive videos. Not the best prerequisites for rewriting that part (and that is one reason I did that not before) - I will likely miss some options and therefore I am glad that you provide so much and constructive feedback. I will come back to your other points later as I have to check several things and I have no time for that at the moment.
Old 28th December 2012, 14:57   #2775  |  Link
hello_hello

Thank you Zathor.

While I was playing around with MeGUI I had a look at StaxRip and it appears I was wrong when I posted a while back and said it displays the correct aspect ratio error for anamorphic encoding. It doesn't. I'm pretty sure HDConvertToX only calculated it correctly when resizing to square pixels and the Yoda Resize Calculator does the same (well it displays the correct aspect ratio to use for anamorphic encoding but the aspect error calculation assumes square pixels).

As MeGUI didn't seem to be always calculating the aspect error correctly when resizing DVDs to square pixels I didn't go as far as trying to work out whether it should be getting it right when using anamorphic encoding, and given none of the above programs do I thought maybe it's hard to implement, or just not necessary when using anamorphic encoding, given MeGUI basically takes care of the aspect ratio via the script.

If that's the case, maybe relabelling the aspect error calculation as "non-anamorphic aspect error" might avoid confusion, or disabling the calculation completely when anamorphic encoding is enabled to make it clear it's not required might be an idea.

Anyway.... thanks for all the hard work on MeGUI. It's greatly appreciated.

Last edited by hello_hello; 28th December 2012 at 15:27.
Old 28th December 2012, 16:59   #2776  |  Link
Zathor

Quote:
There's a minor GUI oddity between the way the anamorphic encoding options and the "suggest resolution" option interacts. When enabling anamorphic encoding and "resize to mod16", the "suggest resolution" option is available. Change the anamorphic option to something else and it becomes greyed out. Switch back to the "resize to mod16" anamorphic option and it remains greyed out until the anamorphic encoded option is disabled completely and then re-enabled.
Thx - fixed.

Also I changed it so that the aspect error will only be shown when not using the anamorphic options.

Therefore only one of your remarks below is open - the resizing behavior when using anamorphic options.
Old 28th December 2012, 18:43   #2777  |  Link
durwood

I updated to version 2237 the other day and it does some strange things that I cannot figure out how to change. If it's by design and not a bug I apologize.

Using the oneclick it forces pgcdemux even if I have the movie only? Maybe I don't understand the purpose.

Also in oneclick, it encodes all audio tracks even if there is only 1 selected and no other additional ones selected.
durwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2012, 08:16   #2778  |  Link
Kurtnoise
Swallowed in the Sea

Quote:
2226 [HD Streams Extractor] fixed handling of input files with a + in the file name
I believe that this revision breaks EVO files & Seamless branching extraction. I've an error when I trigger the Jobs Creation...I'm investigating.
Kurtnoise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2012, 09:49   #2779  |  Link
hello_hello

Quote:
Thx - fixed.

Also I changed it so that the aspect error will only be shown when not using the anamorphic options.
You're awesome Zathor!

I was thinking a little about anamorphic encoding vs resizing to square pixels and how the "suggest resolution" mod16/8/4/2 option interacts with each. Maybe the "resize to mod16" anamorphic option could now use a new name. Something like "resize to mod16/8/4/2" to reflect the fact it now changes according to the mod setting? Just to make it less ambiguous. I know it's only a little thing.

And I guess one day it'd be nice if the overcrop and undercrop anamorphic options all followed suit and obeyed the mod/16/8/4/2 setting to keep everything consistent, as mod16 only is kind of obsolete these days. The "encode non-mod16" option would be a handy one to keep though as then there'd still be one anamorphic option which ignores the mod16/8/4/2 setting.

Just some thoughts anyway.....

Thanks again!
Old 29th December 2012, 11:48   #2780  |  Link
invy

Hello, I just updated to 2237 and I have a couple of questions:

1. Is there a reason why when I use the OneClick, it is adding a duplicate/extra audio job to the queue, and therefore making it encode the same exact track twice?

2. I used the OneClick and selected a folder of 5 MPGs to encode. Why, then, when I check the Queue, do I only see 1 set (idx,oneclick) of jobs appear for the 1st MPEG? The 2nd set doesn't appear until the 1st is done, the 3rd set doesn't appear until the 2nd is done, etc etc.

Was this intentionally done so MeGUI doesn't stall for so long while adding an entire folder that could contain a large amount of files?
invy is offline   Reply With Quote