Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Announcements and Chat > General Discussion

Old 9th July 2015, 20:51   #1  |  Link
spacediver

Directx demo for 10 bit color?

According to Nvidia, while you need a quadro for 10 bit/channel in opengl, virtually all their current GPUs support 10 bit color in DirectX.

Just to be clear, I'm referring to the ability to display, simultaneously, 1024 different values in each channel, rather than the 256 available in 8 bit graphics pipelines.

I'm aware that in addition to the GPU, you need a display that is capable of 10 bits, software that supports 10 bits, and a graphics cable that also supports this.

I have a Geforce GTX 660, and a high end CRT (FW900), so I've got at least two bases covered. I'm using a DVI-I-VGA cable (connects from DVI-I port of my geforce to the VGA input in my CRT).

I'd like to be able to experiment with 10 bit color, with even something as simple as a small DirectX demo/program that renders 10 bit color gradients (even if it turns out that Nvidia is achieving 10 bit color through temporal dithering).

But I can't for the life of me find any such piece of software. Alien Isolation (a game) supports deep color in a DirectX environment, so it should be possible.

Does anyone know of any such software? If not, does anyone know why such software does not exist? Is it very difficult to program in 10 bit color in DirectX? Would it be possible, with very little graphics programming experience, to learn how to write my own DirectX program that did something as simple as a 10 bit color gradient?
spacediver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2015, 21:53   #2  |  Link
Asmodian

madVR supports 10-bit.
http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=172128
Old 9th July 2015, 22:44   #3  |  Link
spacediver

Thanks Asmodian.

I performed the test, and can clearly see banding when I turn dithering off and set everything to 10 bit, so I'm definitely not displaying 10 bit.

Weirdly, when I hit ctrl-J, mpc reports: "D3D9 exclusive (new path)", even though I've checked "use direct3d 11 for presentation".

(edit: gonna try install windows platform update)

Ok, got d3d11 working and now see a huge difference between 8 bit and 10 bit, with dithering disabled. Still not sure if Nvidia is dithering though. Will post in other thread.

Last edited by spacediver; 10th July 2015 at 00:44.
spacediver is offline   Reply With Quote