Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > Avisynth Usage
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 19th April 2011, 17:05   #1  |  Link
Monkeylord

To Decimate or Duplicate?

I’m currently trying to archive all my anime DVD’s and haven’t really run into too many problems that I haven’t been able to handle. Recently the only prob I had was ripping a series, but now I’ve finally come across one at the processing stage.

The series in question is R1 “Ikki Tousen: Dragon Destiny” (typical seeing how my only other problem was with the previous Ikki Tousen series!). The problem I’m having is that it’s structured oddly (as far as I’m concerned anyway).

The title credits are interlaced, and IVTC well down to 23.976fps.
The end credits are progressive 29.970 with very visible blends.
The main episodes, and next episode previews are progressive 29.970.

I have come across at least one episode so far that also has a couple of random interlaced sections. Literally a seconds worth or so. These sections IVTC down just fine and end up about 30frames in length running at 23.976.

Because of all the interlaced sections, I’ve tried decimating the progressive episodes down, but they end up jerking around once the scene pans.

What’s my best way of handling this? Should I instead be trying to add frames to the 23.976 sections to get them up to 29.970 progressive like the rest?

I’ve also found some dot-crawl to fix in another series, but that’s another problem for another (hopefully pre-existing) thread.
Monkeylord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2011, 12:53   #2  |  Link
DarkT

If the main thing is 30fps, you could do what I do in such cases, TDecimate has an option of blend-up-convert, if I remember correctly... It basically does 24-->30 by adding blended frames. If TDecimate hasn't got it, then it's some other filter from the TIVTC series.

Naturally, most "pro" people would go VFR and be done with it... But who has the time nowadays, eh? *chuckleS*
DarkT is offline   Reply With Quote