Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > New and alternative a/v containers
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 19th July 2017, 20:06   #4801  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

Everyone, please just STOP this discussion about pros and cos of various Windows versions. This is way offtopic here. Thanks.

If I ever ask you to upload something, please use my file server.
Old 19th July 2017, 21:52   #4802  |  Link
stax76

Interesting chart though sometimes a number is just a number and the most popular thing is also the most idiotic thing. I'm clueless about QT but I'm rather sure they wouldn't have pulled the plug without good reason. In my case (staxrip) it was .NET 4.5 which ended XP support 2012, so 11 years after XP and 3 years after Windows 7. Windows 10 was released 2015, if you add 3 years to that then 2018 would be the year they pull the plug for Win 7, I don't think they'll do it before 2019 though. For me to give it up they would have to add a significant feature, the only significant thing I'm aware of that is probably coming are non-nullable types but since I never used it in another language I don't know if it's important enough to give up Win 7 support. In .NET 4.5 2012 it was new asynchronous language features I couldn't resist, I said that it's important and I don't remember being criticized a lot for it. It's fun using improved tools and of course it improves the quality of the code and application so the users benefit as well, most open source authors don't want to let many people behind, it's a difficult decision.

I've started Lua programming to extend the mpv media player, if that don't work out well maybe I'll be soon building a GUI around libmpv, lav filters and madvr using QT, it seem to be a extremely popular toolkit and unlike MFC I've only heard good things about it, maybe then I'll understand the issue better. I hope it's OK to post this here, mkvtoolnix is essential for most of us and GUI authors have to follow all tool threads, the work you are doing is outstanding, there is no doubt about it.
Old 20th July 2017, 08:40   #4803  |  Link
hello_hello

Quote:
Originally Posted by satmonk View Post
Answers who mocking me, so my last post here:

I do not have the knowledge to compile a custom version. If there is someone out there with knowledge about that, it would be great to see a xp-compatible build.
XP is probably still more widely used than all the non-Windows operating systems combined, so it does seem a little odd from that perspective. Still, it's up to Mosu to support the operating systems he wants to support, although I do envy the five people running NetBSD.

Anyway.... you can use mkvtooknixgui.exe version 10 with the current mkvmerge.exe. You just have to put up with a warning message when you first open it.
Or if you happen to be a MeGUI user, it's MKV muxer uses MKVMerge to do the work and the latest mkvmerge.exe works fine with MeGUI, even though it's capable of going "ding" when it finishes running the jobs in the queue, if you're into that sort of thing.

For the record, the latest MKVCleaver & gMKVExtractGUI both work fine with MKVToolnix 13 on XP.

I've never compiled software myself, although I did briefly consider learning how to in this case, but I didn't look into it further when it appeared the software required to compile an XP compatible version won't run on XP. If anyone knows differently and can point me in the right direction I'll have another look, or I might try again when I get around to re-installing Linux on my second PC and finding my way around it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stax76 View Post
Interesting chart though sometimes a number is just a number and the most popular thing is also the most idiotic thing. I'm clueless about QT but I'm rather sure they wouldn't have pulled the plug without good reason.
Qt version 5.6 supports XP and it's supported until March 2019. Qt 5.7 and newer don't officially support XP although that's probably due to the switch to Media Foundation for some multimedia functions. Maybe newer versions would work too if non-XP compatible functions weren't enabled. I'm not sure,
I suspect many popular QT based programs (VLC, SMPlayer, XNView etc) will drop XP support when Qt stops supporting version 5.6, or some time later, but for MKVToolNixGUI the XP line appears to have been drawn and set in stone before Qt 5.6 was even released.

Last edited by hello_hello; 20th July 2017 at 17:26.
Old 20th July 2017, 09:14   #4804  |  Link
stax76

@hello_hello

You could use vmware player or VirtualBox if you find a old enough version.
Old 20th July 2017, 09:30   #4805  |  Link
SeeMoreDigital
Life's clearer in 4K UHD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosu View Post
Everyone, please just STOP this discussion about pros and cos of various Windows versions. This is way offtopic here. Thanks.
Indeed, perhaps there should be a dedicated topic for these 'windows' support discussions

Cheers
Old 21st July 2017, 21:11   #4806  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atak_Snajpera View Post
Is this known limitation of MKVMerge that .w64 is being detected as AVC
I'd like some more sample files. Could you upload one, please (see signature)? Thanks.

Old 22nd July 2017, 12:12   #4807  |  Link
manolito

This is for satmonk and other WinXP users who still want to use the latest MKVToolNix version...

It is just a dirty hack, I do not have the knowledge to compile ToolNix myself. What it does is just replacing mkvtoolnix-gui.exe and the mkvinfo files with the older v10.0.0 versions. Plus it automatically kills the warning message which always pops up when mkvtoolnix-gui.exe is started. For nostalgic reasons I called the replacement file "mmg.exe".
Thanks to hello_hello for the idea...

Download here:
http://www80.zippyshare.com/v/yv5ki2q8/file.html

Cheers
manolito

Last edited by manolito; 23rd July 2017 at 10:28. Reason: Updated - Please redownload...
Old 22nd July 2017, 12:38   #4808  |  Link
stax76

here are two w64 samples:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...nhxVldrcWhYaVU
Old 22nd July 2017, 12:40   #4809  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

Thank you, stax76.

Old 23rd July 2017, 04:26   #4810  |  Link
hello_hello

Quote:
Originally Posted by manolito View Post
This is for satmonk and other WinXP users who still want to use the latest MKVToolNix version...

Thanks to hello_hello for the idea....
You're welcome.
I was using AutoHotkey to kill the warning message for a while, until I discovered monitoring for MKVToolNix complaints was keeping CPU usage at 10% and as yet I haven't tried alternatives.

Unfortunately.... because your method seems like a clever idea.... right-click SendTo/mmg.exe can't be used to open files and I'm stuck in my ways....

Last edited by hello_hello; 23rd July 2017 at 04:38.
Old 23rd July 2017, 09:00   #4811  |  Link
manolito

Quote:
Originally Posted by hello_hello View Post
Unfortunately.... because your method seems like a clever idea.... right-click SendTo/mmg.exe can't be used to open files and I'm stuck in my ways....
This was an easy one...
Since I never use the SendTo feature I simply forgot to pass command line parameters to mkvtoolnix-gui.exe. It is fixed, please redownload...

//EDIT//
Just tested it with the new version 14.0.0... No problems. BTW now you can also copy&paste or drag&drop an input file on mmg.exe.

Regarding the high CPU load with AutoHotkey you should probably add a "sleep" command within the loop. A value like 250ms should do.

Cheers
manolito

Last edited by manolito; 23rd July 2017 at 12:12.
Old 23rd July 2017, 09:53   #4812  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

MKVToolNix v14.0.0 released

I'm releasing MKVToolNix v14.0.0. It strikes a nice balance between bug fixes and new features/enhancements.

Changes for package maintainers: a new translation of the programs to Romanian (ro.po) has been added. There are two other minor changes you should be aware of. Please see the NEWS section "Build system changes" below for details.

Deprecation warning

This is a reminder that certain features having been deprecated since v9.7.0. They're scheduled to be removed in the first release of 2018. These features are:
  • mkvmerge: the options "--identify-verbose", "--identify-for-gui", "--identify-for-mmg" and "--identification-format verbose" (use "--identification-format json --identify" or its short form "-J" instead)
  • all command line tools: the old, proprietary format used for option files (use JSON option files instead)

Here are the usual links: the MKVToolNix home page, the Windows installer/portable version & macOS DMG and the source code.

The Windows and macOS binaries have already been built and uploaded. Linux binaries are still being built and will be available shortly.

Here are the NEWS since the previous release:

Quote:
# Version 14.0.0 "Flow" 2017-07-23

## New features and enhancements

* mkvmerge: AAC: implemented support for AAC with 960 samples per frame. Implements #2031.
* mkvmerge: identification: if the encoding/character set of a text subtitle track is known (e.g. because a byte order mark is present in the file), then it will be output during identification as the `encoding` property. Implements mkvmerge's part of #2053.
* mkvmerge: WAV reader: added support for Wave64 files. Implements #2042.
* mkvmerge, mkvpropedit, MKVToolNix GUI (chapter editor): added support for chapters in WebM files that is spec-compliant by removing all tag elements not supported by the WebM spec. Implements #2002.
* mkvpropedit: added support for tags in WebM files that is spec-compliant by removing all tag elements not supported by the WebM spec.
* MKVToolNix GUI: multiplexer: if the encoding/character set of a subtitle track cannot be changed, the GUI will deactivate the "subtitle character set" drop-down box and ignore changes to it when multiple tracks are selected. Additionally, if the track's encoding is known and cannot be changed (e.g. due to a byte order mark in the file), that encoding will be selected in the drop-down box automatically. Both changes signal to the user that she doesn't have to take care of the encoding herself. Implements the GUI's part of #2053.
* MKVToolNix GUI: chapter editor: added a function to the "additional modifications" dialog for calculating and setting the end timestamps. Implements #1887.
* MKVToolNix GUI: changed the shortcuts for switching between the various tools from `Alt+number` (e.g. `Alt+1` for the multiplexer tool) to `Ctrl+Alt+number` in order to avoid clashing with Windows' input method for arbitrary characters (pressing and holding `Alt` and typing the codepoint on the number pad). Implements #2034.
* MKVToolNix GUI: added a "Window" menu and entries with shortcuts for selecting the next (`Ctrl+F6`) respectively previous tab (`Ctrl+Shift+F6`) in the current tool. Implements #1972, #2032.
* MKVToolNix GUI: on Windows the GUI will now determine the default font to use by querying Windows for the default UI/message box font instead of using the hardcoded `Segoe UI`. This might fix issues such as #2003 (unverified).
* translations: added a Romanian translation of the programs by Daniel (see AUTHORS).

## Bug fixes

* mkvmerge: AVC/h.264 parser: fixed wrong frame order & timestamp calculation in certain situations when SPS (sequence parameter sets) or PPS (picture parameter sets) change mid-stream. Fixes #2028.
* mkvmerge: HEVC/h.265 parser: fixed wrong frame order & timestamp calculation in certain situations when SPS (sequence parameter sets) or PPS (picture parameter sets) change mid-stream. This is the HEVC/h.265 equivalent of #2028.
* mkvmerge: MPEG-1/-2 video: the "remove stuffing bytes" feature introduced in v5.8.0 (feature request #734) was broken. In a lot of situations it did not detect the end of a slice correctly and removed 0 bytes that were actually part of the slice structure. Often there were no visual problems as decoders were able to ignore such errors, but in other cases there are visual artifacts upon decoding. As detecting the slice end properly requires parsing the whole slice structure, this feature has been removed again. Fixes #2045.
* mkvmerge: MPEG PS reader: fixed mkvmerge trying to handle an "end" code the same way as a "program stream map" code.
* mkvmerge: MPEG TS reader: mkvmerge won't emit warnings if the system's `iconv` library doesn't support the ISO 6937 character set. Fixes #2023.
* mkvmerge: when appending fails the error message details (e.g. "the number of channels differs: 1 and 2") were often not output. Fixes #2046.
* MKVToolNix GUI: multiplex tool: implemented a workaround for a crash that could occur during drag & drop if at least one of the columns is hidden. Fixes #2009.
* MKVToolNix GUI: multiplex tool: appended tracks can no longer be enabled (selected for multiplexing) if the track they're going to be appended to is not enabled. Fixes #2039.
* MKVToolNix GUI: multiplex tool: if the GUI is set to ensure unique output file names, it will now verify that right before starting to multiplex/adding the job to the queue, too. Fixes #2052.
* MKVToolNix GUI: fixed the total progress reverting to 0% instead of staying at 100% when all jobs have finished. This was introduced by the attempt at fixing the computation of the value of total progress bar for multiple jobs running. Fixes #2005.
* configure: fixed DocBook detection if `/bin/sh` is `dash`. Patch by Steve Dibb. Fixes #2054.

## Build system changes

* Boost: the minimum required version has been bumped to 1.49.0. Earlier releases fail to build on my current systems and will therefore not be supported anymore.
* configure: when looking for the "nlohnmann JSON" include files configure will now try the path "nlohmann/json.hpp" first, "json.hpp" second (only "json.hpp" was tried before). If neither is found, the copy included in the MKVToolNix sources will be used. Fixes #2048.
Have fun

Old 23rd July 2017, 11:42   #4813  |  Link
ryrynz

I just gotta ask, why the larger jumps in version numbers since 10.0?
Old 23rd July 2017, 12:15   #4814  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

Because there was no semantic difference between the first two components. I only placed significance on the third component. With every regular release I increased the second component (8.8.0 → 8.9.0), and the first if the second was at 9 (8.9.0 → 9.0.0). With every quick bugfix/emergency release I increased the third component (7.9.0 → 7.9.1).

So changes in the first component did not signal anything significant, just that the second would be 10 or higher otherwise.

So why keep two components if there's no significant difference between the two?

The new scheme is: first component is increased with every regular release (13.0.0 → 14.0.0), and emergency releases increase the second component (14.0.0 → 14.1.0).

The reason there's still a third component is simply that older MKVToolNix code wasn't built for parsing two-component version numbers. I will probably keep that third component around for a year or so and phase it out then.

Old 23rd July 2017, 15:58   #4815  |  Link
Atak_Snajpera
RipBot264 author

How does MKVExtract treat 4GiB+ PCMs in mkv? Does it automatically use wave64 format during extraction or it always extracts to regular wave regardless of the size?

Last edited by Atak_Snajpera; 23rd July 2017 at 16:01.
Old 23rd July 2017, 16:22   #4816  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

mkvextract doesn't write Wave64. It'll write to WAV, but I guess the result may or may not work.

Old 23rd July 2017, 19:27   #4817  |  Link
hello_hello

Quote:
This was an easy one...
Since I never use the SendTo feature I simply forgot to pass command line parameters to mkvtoolnix-gui.exe. It is fixed, please redownload...
You never use the SendTo menu? One of the first things I do after a fresh install it fill it up with shortcuts.
Using some sort of "File/Open/Navigate To Folder" method all the time would slowly kill my soul.

Quote:
Regarding the high CPU load with AutoHotkey you should probably add a "sleep" command within the loop. A value like 250ms should do.
I'd intended to investigate as soon as apathy permitted, but so far your new version is working normally with MKVToolNix 14.0.0 and the SendTo menu is functional again, so thanks for that.
Old 25th July 2017, 16:14   #4818  |  Link
Perenista

Is there a way to create a video with multiple angles? I have here with me a DVD that has 3 angles, and while using MAKEMKV it creates 3 MKV lossless files, each one with 700 MB and its respective audio stream.

Files 1, 2 and 3 -> http://imgur.com/a/5s5eC

At first MAKEMKV didn`t even select angles 2-3. If MKVToolnix can`t do this, what software do you recommend? Note - I don`t want to reencode.
Old 25th July 2017, 18:01   #4819  |  Link
stax76

@hello_hello

Instead of Send To you can also check out a shell extension called Open++
Old 25th July 2017, 18:46   #4820  |  Link
qyot27
...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perenista View Post
Is there a way to create a video with multiple angles? I have here with me a DVD that has 3 angles, and while using MAKEMKV it creates 3 MKV lossless files, each one with 700 MB and its respective audio stream.

Files 1, 2 and 3 -> http://imgur.com/a/5s5eC

At first MAKEMKV didn`t even select angles 2-3. If MKVToolnix can`t do this, what software do you recommend? Note - I don`t want to reencode.
Multiple video streams have been possible with Matroska for as long as I can remember, and I started playing around with Matroska and MKVToolNix in 2003 or 2004.

Just use the 'Add' button and load the additional .mkv files, then disable the 2nd and 3rd audio streams, since there should be no use for them.
Closed Thread